Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY CDMA User Reviews

Everyday usage6.9/10
UI speed6.1/10
Camera7.1/10

kaleb7d
posted on 18 Jan 2013, 13:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)

Alright Phone as Long as You Keep it Plugged In

kaleb7d has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I traded my iPhone 4 for this phone, looking for something know. Worst mistake I have ever made. It seems cool at first, and the gaming is fun, but it leaves much to be desired. It is very heavy and bulky, making it VERY uncomfortable to keep in your pocket. I've read everywhere that it has had great battery life, but for me that was the worst part. Replaced the battery, and it still wouldn't come close to lasting throughout the day, even after underclocking the CPU. The UI is very laggy. Call quality is very poor, and there is an annoying sidetone when you are on the phone with a half-second echo.

Pros

• Fun Gaming
  • Nice Display
  • Speedy Internet

Cons

• Poor Battery Life
  • Terrible Call Quality
  • Laggy UI

SmartPhoneStream
posted on 12 Oct 2012, 12:29 (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)

Entry-Level phone at best

SmartPhoneStream has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Build Quality: Very tough phone, friend accidently kicked the phone 8 feet in the air and landed face first on concrete and only received a minor bump.

Reception: I sometimes don't receive calls from my friends. My friend tried calling me 3 times before the call was picked up by my phone

Call Quality: Call quality is decent, but when my neighbor calls me, I can hear him fine but he can't hear me( this has happened numerous times)

Internet: crashes numerous times daily, force closes to much, freezes, takes minutes to load pages (I use my Wi-Fi and have tested its speed on my phone i get 11 mb up and 5 down)

Multimedia: The phone came with 7 pre-installed apps optimized for the Game Pad including Madden 11, Asphalt, Crash bandicoot and more. The Android market has a big selection of Free apps and games and paid apps and games. Access to V cast (if you don't want to use credit card, this adds to your bill)

Camera: the camera doesn't take HD videos, Horrible low-Light photos, Slow censor

UI speed: constant lag when switching through home screens, crashes a lot

Everyday usage: You can make a call and send texts and Emails, will lag a lot and freeze and crash so that's a downside

Text input: Takes forever to open up messaging, stock keyboard is horrible, takes forever to send messages

Display: the display is fairly bright even under sunlight

Battery Life: can get 1 to 1 1/2 days on heavy usage

Gaming: the game pad is good but the games aren't any different. If you are...

• Bright Screen
  • Clear screen in sunlight
  • Very tough Phone
  • Pre-Installed Apps
  • Game pad

Cons

• many dropped calls
  • Very slow browser
  • Poor Camera quality
  • Lags alot
  • Stock Keyboard is horrible
  • slow processor
  • Nothing special about the game quality
  • Not Enough RAM

SmartPhoneStream alternatives:

MYTHiKAL
posted on 20 Apr 2012, 10:05 (Posts: 33; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)

VERY NICE 4SURE..

MYTHiKAL has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been using this phone for some time cause one of my best friend have it.. and recently i made the leap back to Verizon, and got 2 of these babies in my account.. All i can say, this phone is just too awesome..

PS.. No idea why the first Review is only a 4.. Crazy IMO,, this phone is too good for what it is and most smarphone users will find this handset more useful then expected, not to mention, the Gaming part is Just too cool..

Internet 9/10 To me, this is one area this phone is a bit weak at.. But that is only cause its a 3G phone, so its expected..
Camera 7/10 Overall,, very good cameras, but after experiencing the Samsung Skyrocket and my New RAZR MAXX, the camera could had been a bit better..
Display 9/10 Not Super AMOLED like my old Skyrocket and my new RAZR MAXX.. but after some updating it recently got, the phone screen seems better..
Battery 10/10 Very good battery Life.. with lots of gaming and moderate use overall,, the battery last loooong..

Pros

• Great for Gaming and Everything else
  • Very long Lasting Battery

FerneyZan
posted on 19 Apr 2012, 19:05 (Posts: 65; Member since: 21 Jul 2010)

AMAZING IMO and just Perfect for my 2 Teens

FerneyZan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

FINALLY!!! I got me the Perfect Smartphone with the "BEST" Wireless Provider in the area. “Verizon” for my kids.

I tend to change wireless companies veeeeery often, in fact I have a reputation about it already.. LOL.. But after going to one company and then the next. I finally stop worrying about getting more for the money in regards to unlimited everything like I was getting with Sprint, or Like I was just getting with ATT’s rollover minutes and all, and Finally made the leap back to VERIZON. Verizon by far may be the most expensive, but,, with the combination of an Outstanding Network and My new Awesome Phones Including these 2 Very Cool Sony PLAY Smartphone/PlayStation Phones, I cannot be any happier right at this moment.

We are always looking for the most unique/cool type of phones, or at least I am, and these by far have a huge WOOW factor. Initially I might had been a bit concern during the first hour or so while we were getting familiar with the phones, but once the phones went thru their first 2 major updates, the phones were working GREAT…

These phones are very easy to use and customize, not to mention that using them for the Gaming part, there isn’t many products currently out there that beats them. Extremely easy to use, great feel in your hands and the quality built for a phone that has slider system like this phone does, feels just perfect..

Reception so far has been outstanding. That could be mainly due to the fact that is under VERIZON’s network,...

Pros

• Perfect size and Feel
  • Great for Gaming
  • Awesome Reception
  • Works well in normal and heavy use
  • 4 inch screen
  • Got these NEW for "ZERO" dollars.

Cons

• Internet its Slow, but is due to 3G only
  • Screen not as good as newer phones. But nice overall

Jahmane
posted on 01 Feb 2012, 14:55

Great for gaming, good for everyday

Jahmane has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone handles games perfectly! Not one lag or slowdown on any games and most emulators work flawlessly. Its everything an android gamer could ask for. AND THE BATTERY NEVER DIES!!!! However, the phone part of the Xperia Play isn't quite as good. It has some lags and although i find it more than sufficient for everyday tasks, its not the fastest phone. Get it if you want a decent phone and GREAT games

Pros

• Gamepad is extremely comfortable
  • Amazing battery life! I could fully function on 15%
  • Runs every game and emulator perfectly!
  • Gingerbread
  • Light sensor helps when in bright lights
  • Gets ICS update
  • Preloaded games

Cons

• The screen could be slightly brighter
  • Surprisingly, no HDMI
  • Occasional lags but nothing bothersome
  • Joysticks suck at times

coolastic11
posted on 06 Dec 2011, 21:39 (Posts: 6; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)

good entry level smartphone

coolastic11 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The phone is a good entry level smartphone. For a phone marketed for gaming some games aren't beter than other phones. The phone doesn't come with a lot of storage. The processor is outdated and can be slow at some points. The keyboard also isn't that good. The display is good even under sunlight. The battery life is great can get through a day and some with heavy usage. Overall the phone is good but if you want a high end phone this isn't it.

• pre loaded games
  • many game promotions
  • display

Cons

• processor
  • ram
  • pre loaded storage
  • lags

barbsman73
posted on 10 Oct 2011, 12:05 (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)

UNBELIVABLE BATTERY LIFE

barbsman73 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is AWESOME!!!!.....Battery life is FREAKISHLY long! At work with no signal and always searching for one....Battery last 16hrs....At home will last 24hrs or more. Where else can you find a gingerbread phone that does that. I would recommend this phone just on the battery life, even if your not a gamer, it does everything any other Android phone does....GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!!!

Build quality 8/10 You can beat the heck out of the game controller
Reception 8/10 3G in all places but my job (steel mill)
Call quality 8/10 Everyone sounds crystal clear
Internet 6/10 not 4G
Camera 10/10 Awesome for 5meg
UI speed 10/10 No lag at all
Everyday usage 10/10 Battery last all day long
Text input 10/10 SWYPE!!!!
Display 10/10 Can see at all viewing angles
Battery 10/10 LONG LONG LONG!!!!!

Pros

• BATTERY
  • BATTERY
  • did I mention BATTERY!!!
  • Gingerbread
  • Unbreakable gamepad
  • FAST FAST FAST!!!
  • Comes with 6 high end games

Cons

• Gamepad needs some getting usded to in your hands
  • Not to many preloaded widgets but can get some off the market
  • Facebook doesnt sync with contacts...needs update for that

Velq5389
posted on 04 Sep 2011, 21:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)

One of the worst phones I've ever had.

Velq5389 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I bought this phone because I was bored of my old phone, the droid incredible. I figured this seemed cool, a way to play games for when I am bored. This phone, IS HORRIBLE. It is slow, it constantly crashes, the internet doesn't work half the time, the App's i download constantly don't run (the same apps that I used to run flawlessly on my incredible).. I MISS my old phone, Sadly I gave it to my sister, so I am stuck with this phone until something better comes out (which is basically anything right now, but I want to wait for something new) DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!