Sony Ericsson W380 User Reviews

Julia Roberts
posted on 11 Aug 2010, 12:51

Such a shame

I´ve had this phone for 15 months now. I loved the size and the look of it.  Software was OK for me. Picture quality is rather poor, but I´m not a big fan of using my cell to take photos (I prefer my camera). Just a little elegant useful phone.I was being pacient about some annoyances it has (the buttons are quite hard to press and the extra effort begins to take its toll on them after a while, the plastic developed two o three cracks despite normal use and no drops nor hard hits, software tends to just freeze from time to time, the light in the cover wouldn´t go off  by itself every 10-15 uses, and the gesture control NEVER worked). But today it just decided to go off and it won´t start again. No special warnings, no known reasons. And that´s it. No matter how good or bad treats a phone have, if it´s so poorly designed that after only a year and a half of normal use and care it just won´t turn on, then it just deserves to go straight to the trash can and never be retrieved again.

Pros

• It actually works for a while!

Cons

• Too expensive considering it´s practically a disposable phone.

Faehl
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 08:08

Poor Quality Will Shine Through

I chose this phone because overall it had nice looks and some simple all around features that would do for me. After having this phone (including a replacement) for over a year I've had several problems that I think are worth considering if you were interested in this model. It's a bit long but worthwhile so that you know what poor qualities you could be in for, as well as poor service if you try to get it fixed.- The light up display feature on the outside of the phone started glitching, showing a snow pixelated effect or many white bars like a barcode until it finally died. I had been told by one person at a cellphone store that this had been a common problem from this phone and had to do with some wiring issue.- I found that it is a bit of a hassle and can become a bit tiring to try and text on such a flat number panel. The buttons require a bit more pressure than on other phones.- I found that the responsiveness of the left side of the phone panel wore down after a few month's time.- I've had issues where the battery would stop vibrating for a time, randomly, then work fine again for long periods of time.- Recently my phone just turned off, and when I tried to turn it back on again would only begin to vibrate nonstop until I took the battery out. After a couple of days it's fine again and works perfectly (Going to be looking into this).- Through regular use of open and closing the phone with my right hand I noticed cracks gradually developed on the right and center portions...

Pros

• - Looks pretty nice, inside and out
  • - Takes okay to good photos in bright lighting
  • - The outside features are interesting and fun to use
  • - Takes memory sticks
  • - Plays music
  • - Audio is clear
  • - Long battery life if you use it primarily for talking

Cons

• - Takes poor photos in almost any other lighting
  • - Number panel requires some added pressure
  • - Speaker quality is rather poor
  • - Various features (number panel, outer display, casing, vibration, call settings) broke over time.
  • - Poorly Assembled

posted on 10 Jul 2009, 12:13

I have had this phone for about 14months. Everything has been fine until it shut off by itself and won't turn on again. This has happened a few times but i could always turn the phone back on. Now I in the midst of trying to fix it. In general it's a very cute phone but can cause fustration when it turns off.

Pros

• Cool design.

Cons

• Hard to lock

Terri
posted on 31 May 2009, 11:37

w380a SUCKS

THIS PHONE IS TERRIBLE  DO NOT BUY

I've had 3 different ones since August (10 months) and they all crap out.  THe first one stopped working in the speaker on the top, so I had to use speaker phone to talk to anyone.  The second they sent me as a replacement wouldn't see the SIN card, and thus wouldn't work.

This last one I had to fight with Fido to give me (only 6 months into warranty), they wanted me to send it to sony and have it repaired on my dime! NoNoNonO!   When I finally got a new one (by pretending I wanted to buy one, then demanding an exchange once they had it in front of me, this one lasted 4 months before the ringer speaker stopped,.  So any noise, the ringer, speaker phone, the tone button, DOES NOT WORK.

My old LG that is 4 years old STILL works, but not this hunk of junk.  It is not worth the time unless you want to pay for repairs to it every 3-5 months,.

Pros

• Nothing

Cons

• Cheap, too quiet, it requires a phone reset every 2 months or so. Likes to shut off, and ignore calls.
  • has broken 3 times for me, in 10 months

unknown 99999878
posted on 16 Dec 2008, 15:31

hummmm :L

i have had this phone for almost six months or just over and i am having to get a new one the sound has gone on me and the vibration alert is dimmened also it has got into a habit of switching itself off at its own demand and i have heard it has happened to many others. on the other hand its a nice sized phone and untill the sound went had great sound quality and i liked the design on the front of grail buttons still got atm untill i get a new one and its ok as a spare phone as calling and txt still work.

Pros

• lock on outside so its not possible to catch buttons
  • design is nice looking
  • easy to use
  • small enough to fit in pocket

Cons

• sound has gone after 6 months
  • turns itself off
  • doesnt last very long

Danny
posted on 20 May 2008, 01:48

Sony Ericsson w380i

most perfect phone in my live!