Sony Ericsson G900 User Reviews

Rios
posted on 21 May 2011, 00:57

Has great features but lack quality

Rios has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Overall this phone has great feature like WiFi, Edge, BlackBerry Connect, 5.0 Mega Pixel Camera, Slim & Sleek body, Touch Screen, Good Organizer, however the some features lack quality like Touch pad is very sensitive, problems with headphone socket, Slow navigation within Messages, Poor In-built speaker.

Call quality 3/10 Can barely hear the sound of the caller.
Multimedia 5/10 The look n feel is good, however as usual the headphone socket gives a problem. I believe that Sony Ericsson should introduce 3.5 mm jack in all the handsets.
Camera 7/10 As usual the Camera clarity is awesome (as per SE standards). The image capture with LED flash is also very effective during low light.
Text input 4/10 Cannot depend on the touch-qwerty due to small screen size.
Display 2/10 Display looks good, but it's very-very sensitive. Gets spoiled very fast. User needs to be extra cautious about the screen.
Battery 4/10 Initially for a year the battery works good, later the battery power diminishes.

Pros

• Awesome Camera (5.0 Megapixel) - Digital Zoom - up to 16x, Image/Video stabiliser, LED Flash, Red-eye reduction, Touch/Auto focus
  • Inbuilt BlackBerry Connect 4.0
  • Dual Camera for Video Conference
  • Document Readers - Word, Excel, PDF, Notepad etc.
  • Handwriting Recognition
  • WiFi and 3G Support
  • External Memor Support upto 8GB
  • Descent User Interface
  • Sleek & Slim Design (Body)

Cons

• Delicate Screen
  • Headphone socket problems
  • Battery problems
  • Lack User Profile

Vic
posted on 17 Feb 2010, 05:54

Not pleased

I just bought the SE G900, the first thing i noticed is the very poor battery performance, it doesnt even last a day under light-medium usage, if i used it to listen to songs, it drains the battery even quicker, and im not pleased, after a second thought, maybe i should have gone for a another phone like the G705, im only using this primarily for listening songs, Wi-Fi etc, i just changed my battery, see if it could last more than 1 day under medium usage, but i really doubt the battery performance, really regretted buying it..., You can see more Cons then Pros, i would recommend thinking thrice before buying it, thats what i didnt do and so regretted it

Pros

• - Good notepad that you can scribble on
  • - WiFi is of acceptable speed
  • - TrackID
  • - Lunar Calendar [as i needed it]

Cons

• - Contacts is bullshit, worst i ever seen
  • - Camera is mediocre
  • - Laggy when trying to access an application
  • - Startup is worse then my previous Nokia N80
  • - No EDGE? [what are you thinking SE?]
  • - The stylus is not needed most of the time except when i scribble on the notepad
  • - Musics need to put 1 by 1 into the playlist [worst then my Nokia 5130]
  • - REAL BAD battery life performance, doesnt even last 1 day under light-medium usage, even my K770i can last till 2 days max, worst SE experience

posted on 27 Jul 2009, 23:34

I'm really happy with the G900

I've used this phone since January and I absolutely love it.
I've read all the comments and I must say I'm surprised because some people said that they have had issues with the phone, and I HONESTLY can tell that my unit is perfectly fine. It has no lag at all, it's really fast and it performs great.
I've had so much fun playing a ton of amazing games with stunning graphics, I have like 40 applications on the device.
Also it is very handy for every day tasks, and that's something I wasn't even expecting.
I would recommend people to check their units, because as I mention before, mine is completely fine.
Overall it's one of the best phones out there, and I have tried a lot of them, incluiding the iPhone 3GS, the HTC Diamond, the G1, Blackberry Storm, among other. It's definitely worth checking out.

Pros

• Features
  • Capable of high quality graphics, with OpenGL games.
  • Touch Interface
  • Fully Customizable

Deepu KS
posted on 21 Jul 2009, 00:39

My phone

Hi,
 I was using this phone for the past 8 months, just after its launched.There are many cons than pros for me.One of the main thing is its very slow.I told this problme to the sony authorised service center and they reinstalled the OS still there is no change.Another problem is the strange behaviour of the touch panel.Sometimes it wont works, after 2-3 switch off's and on it will work.The same thing will happen after 2-3 weeks.Another problem with this phone is that we cant record a talk using this phone.After paying this much amount there are no enough features for this phone.So think twice before buying this phone.

Pros

• Easy to hande,Nice look,thin

Cons

• very slow,cannot record a phone call,strange behaviour,untrusty touchpad

Simon Mortensen
posted on 18 Jul 2009, 13:42

Very disappointing

I bought the G900 because my main phone (K850i) was sent to repair. I have been using SE phones for the last 4-5 years, but I really had no expectations, since it was only supposed to be my spare phone.

I must admit that it looked very nice indeed, but then I realized one disappointment after the other, starting already when I turned on the device. The first thing that struck me was the lag. It was so extremely slow, that I actually thought it had frozen, but after several minutes it was ready to use.

The touch feature works quite good, only the rosponse were overall incredibly slow (and I mean VERY slow), and after a few tries, I simply chose to use the physical keys insted. During the next 3-4 days I had a series of strange experiences, such as no illumination of keys while writing in darkness, constantly illumination of both keypad and display while charging, constantly appearing message promts about local time settings, which led to an annoying guide asking for different information (and this is really annoying when you are interrupted composing an sms, for instance) and finally I found it really strange that my contacts from the k850i coulnd't be syncronized to the G900. Of course I could copy them to the phone, but they were shown in some very creative ways making it really really HARD to find the right contact.

Most of the features on this phone, including the new on screen menu for instance, are of course liked or disliked by different individual persons,...

Pros

• Dedicated keypad lock button
  • Primary and secondary language settings

Cons

• Slow (!)
  • Annoying pop-ups
  • Annoying interface
  • Useless touch-feature
  • Unlogic menus
  • "Strange behavior" - it never felt natural

Vibin
posted on 18 Jun 2009, 05:41

my mobile!

i have been using this mobile for the past 9 months since its launch. i selected this model after a lot of research and am pretty happy with this mobile. after my suggestion even my friend got it. but both of us faced similar problems within the same span of time.
first and foremost the plastic strip around the navigation key peeled of for both of us even when we handled the mobile with atmost care. the strip had connection with the touch panel and hence the entire touch panel has to be changed. it was replaced under warranty by the company but after a lot of argument!!!!!!!
the mobile is pretty slow even after upgrading the software thrice.
now a days i face a peculiar prob of the mobile getting hot even after using it for a while! even after servicing this prob prevails!! hope it doesn affect the motherboard unlike my previous W810.
though it has all these short coming, i like my mobile a lot. coz of its immense features.

Pros

• features
  • decent looks
  • light in weight

Cons

• need service regularly
  • fully charged battery withstand only for a day (max limit!!!)
  • slow processing speed
  • no ringing of alarm when the phone is switched off

posted on 10 Feb 2009, 16:55

It´s a great phone!!!

I've had this phone for about two months now. And I have nothing bad to say about it.
It has a great camera, media player and with Wi-Fi it's an awesome all in one, small, handheld device.
Altought I have to say that people have told me that the old Firmware was buggy and laggy, so I would recommend to update it.

Pros

• Internet
  • Media
  • Screen performance

Cons

• The screen could be bigger, but it's OK!

Som3on3
posted on 07 Dec 2008, 15:46

Great phone...

It is very good mobile phone... WHY ISN'T DISPLAY BIGGER?!?!?!

NP
posted on 01 Oct 2008, 13:26

my pro and cons of this phone

The phone looks good, feels good and simply is good...I believe that sony has achieved exactly what they wanted. A phone that is full of multimedia pleasure, but offers some extras.

Pros

• - Speedy navigation
  • - Fast camera, the autofocus is really fast and good
  • - good image quality
  • - good video quality
  • - good web browser speed (for a mobile device)
  • - good battery life, in despite what some say or perhaps i'm just lucky xD
  • - touchscreen !!! and it does an excellent job

Cons

• - it takes 2 sec to load a new message, even after it is the ram memory. If not it takes even longer.
  • - the default theme is verry laggy (but the other ones are OK ^^)
  • - quite laggy when opening apps for the first time, but once in the ram memory they work jsut fine :)

Rahul Arora
posted on 31 Aug 2008, 03:03

Poor Battery Life

ive been using this phone for a month now, works perfectly!
but the only problem im facing is the battery life.
my phone doesnt last a day.
i had a nokia n73 before and surprizingly that phone lasted 1.5 days as compared to g900's 1 day max.
if i talk via the bluetooth handsfree, talktime is reduced to 3 hrs
even if i dont use wifi, bluetooth, etc and perform basic phone functions like sms and calling, it doesnt last a day.
I would not recommend this phone to someone who has a talktime of 4-5 hrs in a day.
other that the battery life, g900 rocks!

Pros

• Good built
  • both Touch and keypad functions
  • decent camera
  • no compatibility problems with pc suite

Cons

• poor battery life
  • a little difficulty in accessing functions
  • interface could have been made more user friendly

Brian Brigg
posted on 30 Aug 2008, 05:57

Not as easy to use as it could have been.

Recently purchased the phone because I was attracted by it's compact size and feature list but found that many of the features are difficult to access compared with earlier models by Sony Ericsson. The menu system is not as easy to use as the old P910i and P990i models and the smaller screen makes the onscreen keyboard (my favorite input method) is trickier with the smaller letters.
The physical size makes it impossible to include a stylus as long as the older models had, unless you want a fiddly telescoping type, so my big hands don't fit it very well. The combination of short stylus and smaller screen emphasizes the problem. That is a trade off that you need to weigh up for yourselves, I had the chance to try a demo model and I thought that I will probably get used to it.
If only I could find the profiles menu.

Pros

• Small physical size and weight
  • Great battery life
  • Touch screen
  • Clear calls
  • Wi Fi
  • Loud ring tones (useful as an alarm for heavy sleepers like me)

Cons

• No profiles menu
  • Screen washes out in sunlight
  • Poorly arranged menus for some functions
  • Small screen size makes a lot of things hard to see
  • Fiddly battery cover and SIM card holder

haribabu
posted on 12 Aug 2008, 04:27

good

hi i have brought G900 it is very good and have all the features what young generation is looking for........

Hamad
posted on 29 Jun 2008, 01:41

Great Phone But ......

G900 has a greet look, feel and design when I bought it I favorite it over iPhone since I am not used to touch screen and G900 have both features together which played for me as a mean to get used to the touch screen. But I think SE has not consider some features which if it has include it in G900 this phone could be the King of all phones. Features such as GPS became essential in today's high end mobiles and HSDPA is a requirement for fast internet access.

antgeram
posted on 22 Feb 2008, 04:14

Cool Device by SE

Seems like an absolute value for money - if of course the estimated release price is right. We don't know yet if it becomes a GPS device with the use of GPS Enabler HGE-100. Are we sure on the 8gb memory expansion capabality?

Matthew
posted on 20 Feb 2008, 13:35

Very Nice.

this phone is nice. got everything. a VERY GOOD camera a nice look and wifi and all the rest. it is simular to the w960i but this camera is better. but the w960i has 8gb. so its a hard choice. but its also like the p1. the g900 is the camera phone the w960i is the music phone and the p1 is the the buisness phone. the p1 is quite ugly though. over all i would get the g900 but i realy realy like the w960i. so its very close but the g900 might hav won by a little bit. ive not seent he g900 but ive seen the w960i and it is very nice. realy like the way it has a keyboard as well as touch screen because it is more conveinient for texting and things like that..

posted on 18 Feb 2008, 01:03

wat are the specs which are btr than w960i?

D Basu
posted on 17 Feb 2008, 11:04

Excellent Design/Features

Excellent combination of design and features. Am impatient to get it on hand. Had almost decided to go for W960i..but these specs are undoubtedly eons ahead!!

badboy
posted on 10 Feb 2008, 18:48

Great design with many features !