Samsung SGH-T301G User Reviews

Text input8.5/10
Everyday usage7.7/10
UI speed5.5/10

RLC539
posted on 25 Mar 2012, 16:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)

Basic, but Functional Phone

RLC539 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have had this phone for three years now and it is still working great! It is very durable-I have accidently dropped many times and it has held up. This is a cheep and basic phone, but it is still usefull. I would recomend this phone for somone who plans to use their it mainly to make calls. Besides that, the phone's fearures aren't that exciting.

Build quality 7/10 Even though it is a cheep phone, it is still durable.
Reception 8/10 Even though tracfone service is inexpensive, I have good reception almost everywhere I go.
Call quality 5/10 Every time I call someone on my phone, I hear this buzzing sound. It goes away after about 30 seconds and sounds fine after that. It might just be a defect.
Internet 2/10 The browser button is in a spot that is very easy to accidently press. The browser is very slow and only works when you have wi-fi. It also is expensive to use and sucks your minuets really fast. Not worth the cost.
Multimedia 3/10 This phone does not have an MP3 player or radio. It comes with only two games and they're both kinda lame. Also, there is not a headphone jack.
Camera 3/10 The camera is very poor quality and the phone only holds 50 pictures. There is no video camera.
UI speed 5/10 I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the phone it pretty fast. Some things take a while to load, but not too long
Everyday usage 7/10 Features like alarms and settings are easy to acccess.
Text input 5/10 I like the slider design, but it doesn't have a full QWERTY keyboard, so texting is hard.
Display 4/10 The screen is farily big and easy to see inside, but there is a glare when you are outside that makes using it hard.The screen is also a bit pixally.
Battery 7/10 The battery life is great! I can leave it on for almost a week straight before I have to recharge it.

Pros

• Thin and Lightweight
  • Low Cost
  • Durable
  • Cheep prepaid plans
  • Good reception

Cons

• Number keypad
  • Slow browser
  • Small memory that is not expandable

lightfoot44
posted on 26 Sep 2011, 15:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)

It's a good phone, but....

lightfoot44 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

great phone for texting, but I find the slider function a little bit of a pain. Trying to open this thing up without shooting it half way across the room is a challenge in itself. I've dropped the phone a couple of times trying to do this, but it still keeps on working. No, I'm not a dufus butterfingers, but it would help to be a little easier to open. It seems very durable, and the reception quality is far better than the Samsung 101g. Battery life is a little short, and quite a bit shorter than the LG 420g. If you get 2 days without a recharge when you use your phone a few times, you're lucky. All in all, a good phone, with a bigger than average screen for a tracfone. Tracfone service is great, and the value you get with a Tracfone cannot be beat for average cell phone users.

Internet 3/10 never use it cause it costs me money.

Pros

• big screen, durable build, good receptivity

Cons

• hard to use slider function

tasha369
posted on 23 Feb 2011, 12:13

Bad Reception

tasha369 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The voice reception is terrible on this Samsung T301G. The text reception is better and the keypad is easy to use and the camera is quick and simple to take. The price is good. The manual could be better and include better descriptions of the display pad and how to change them.

Pros

• Nice look easy to use

Cons

• Voice reception bad

Maggsypim
posted on 12 Feb 2011, 09:08 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 Feb 2011)

Maggsypim has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

No man! Surely this phone is a con. The blue tooth is limited, it doesn't have an even basic music player, calling the camera poor, is to give it credit, and if this battery, which is only two months old, can give me two days, I'm super happy.
Fortunately I feel it does make, and tak egood cals, and to text is a pleasure. Which makes it I suppose, a good basic phone, with some added features. I would however not touch this phone unless it was, is sold with double minutes for life.

ziggerknot
posted on 06 Dec 2010, 00:59

title

ziggerknot has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

i have had this phone for around a year and it has been very durable in the sense it can be thrown dropped and kicked and still work fine (though i broke the screen with smarties in my poket) sense then i got a new one and it still functions amazing. the arrow keys can be modified to custom hot keys. btw if you replace this phone you will not be able to keep anything you downloaded from previous phone. other than that it has served me well

Pros

• sturdy

Justin
posted on 01 Nov 2010, 16:26

Great phone. Bad phone provider.

Justin has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've been extensively using this model for almost a month, and from my understanding, the phone is very good overall. TracFone, the Samsung T301g's phone provider, on the other hand, I find to be quite bad. It's not that the coverage is good; it's just that TracFone uses minutes, instead of an unlimited plan. Therefore, I find myself running out of minutes quite frequently. With the exception of that, this phone has exceptional reception, a nice build, a not-so-bad mobile internet, the possibility of multimedia messaging (although videos and some forms of audio formats can't be received with this model), good, but not great call quality. All in all, I found the phone to great, especially for minimal cell phone users.

Pros

• - Reactive keypad
  • - Good call quality
  • - Very useful for minimal users
  • - Java-based games

Cons

• - No full HTML browser
  • - only VGA camera; no 1.3 or 2 megapixelation like most modern phones
  • - somewhat expensive ringtones
  • - no unlimited talk, text, or web plan available

vpike
posted on 29 Aug 2010, 16:18

stylish qaulity afordable what more do you need

i got this phone as i was shopping for a new contract, and i realised this was what im looking for in a phone, its a great little phone, its really well built and is very durable, its user friendly and has all the things you need from a phone,  i like the fact i can use the phone and pay simple $20 a month, i dont even use all the minutes, they just build up, but im not stuck in a contract and when i need the phone my minutes are there, not like my old contract the charged me when i didnt use it and a mess of a bill if i did. its amazing how good the service is. im so happy to have found a carrier that provides a reliable service that cares for users and not just this cnfusing bill every month. i would seriously advice this phone if you are minute wise.

Pros

• relaible, quality, afforablity

Cons

• cutomer service, expiration of service if no minutes added,

John K.
posted on 14 Aug 2010, 22:29

Great Phone, but complicated

I got this phone a while ago. yesterday I was checking out all the funtions and I accidentally locked the phone, it would let me do anything until I called customer service to receive the "PUK" code. If I had continued to guess the code, it would have fried my SIM card. (As I have seen on earlier posts) But thankfully it only took ten minutes and my phone is working great. This phone is great if you don't want to be tied down to a monthly bill, or contracts. Also the network coverage is amazing. Although I would have wanted the Manufacturer's manual that is not included with the phone. I bought my Samsung T301G at a local shopko for only $20. It included 10 free minutes,(<--called Airtime) and 60 days days of network service. Texting only costs .30 of Air time minutes. This phone has many great features including: Text,Mobile Internet,Camera, and many other Applications and tools. The only thing I dont like about it is the Internet button, I get mixed up with the menu and the Internet button which are right across from each other, everytime I accidentally push this button it charges me money, even though I didn't even use the Internet. So each time you push the internet button accidentally it charges me. Also, I would have liked to have the Manufacturer's manual which is not included, to prevent the "Locking" and almost Crashing of my brand new phone's SIM card. Good Product, some flaws.

IF THE SAME THING HAPPENS TO YOU THE PIN IS USUALLY:...

Pros

• Texting and web with out contract.
  • Camera,Audio Recording,Tools, and Apps.
  • No monthly Payments
  • I got mine for only $20!
  • Comes with 10 free minutes.
  • Mine came with Double Minutes for life. WOW!

Cons

• No manufacturer's manual included in package.
  • Some what complicated for new phone users.
  • Buttons are mixed up some what, the menu is the top left key and the Internet is Top left key, which gets confusing.
  • Has a PIN setting which can crash your SIM card on phone if you do not know what it is.

posted on 27 Nov 2009, 11:25

POOR ANTENNA DESIGN FIX!

i'm back! i have found a solution to the poor antenna design. those cheap antenna booster stickers which you place in the battery compartment. now i thought these things where a scam as any of you. but i did try it out and did increase my reception (a little). the secret to it is to place it as close to the actual antenna as possible so what i did was to remove the back case of the phone and place the sticker directly on the inside of the phone case @ the bottom near the antenna. not in the battery compartment!all in all it did work! but i have decided to move on because my old motorola c139 still has better reception and you can buy em for $5 vs.$35 for a phone with worse signal go figure! motorola the way to go for communications devices!bottom line i bought the new droid! once it arrives see ya later tracfone!

Pros

• cheap all be it you get what u pay for

Cons

• poor antenna design! old motorola c139 still has better reception and you can buy em for $5 vs.$35 for a phone with worse signal go figure!

posted on 13 Nov 2009, 10:03

samsung sgh-t301g antenna signal reception

this is a great phone except the fact that the internal antenna is located at the very base of the phone which impeeds signal due to the fact most people hold the base of the phone covering the antenna. if you look at the phone the antenna placement is in the bottom of the phone directly under the keypad and it is very small compared to other tracfones. i previously had a motorola c139 which is a very cheap phone but had a 9 out of 10 for signal because the internal antenna is located at the very top of the phone and is much larger than the samsung. i rate the samsung a 5 of 10 on signal. i am currently working on an enhancement for this antenna and will be back to inform everyone on my results.

Pros

• great phone

Cons

• poor antenna design

Lorie
posted on 05 Sep 2009, 09:45

beware

I purchased the tracfone slider in june 2009 and the keypad stopped working in august. The phone acted like it was locked but wasn't. I could receive calls but could not call out. Anyhow, I called tracfone and was given alot of BS on how they could send me a new phone but not the same phone, quote( we will see what is in our wharehouse and send what we can) then I am to send back the slider to them. Now I purchased the phone online from them and told the the order # and how the phone was only 2 months old, could I please have a phone that had a camera and double minutes since I did pay $49 for the slider. Anyhow I was sent a $14 phone no camera as a replacement. I called back after getting the crap phone and spoke to someone else explained my situation and now I am waiting for a replacement of my slider phone that is an actual new slider phone. I will return my old phone and the cheap crap that they sent me back to them. Just want people to know the run around i got..

Gail S
posted on 21 Aug 2009, 23:16

samsung t301g

Great phone.  It doesn't come with a comprehensive manual but is pretty easy to figure out.  I've had a few Tracfone phones and this one is the Best by far.  I no longer feel that I have to sacrifice ALL of the good features to save money.   What few features of this phone are not Tracfone compatible like surfing the web, I don't miss with this phone.  I got it on sale at a local store for $20 off and it came with double minutes for life.  Great deal!!  The only negative I've noticed so far is that you can't do much with pictures because it's a Tracfone phone.  I still think it's a great phone.

Pros

• Easy to use, feels well made, more features than any other tracfone I've had

Cons

• Tracfone limits what you can do with pictures taken with camera phone.

Ellie
posted on 20 May 2009, 07:20

Beware

This may be a nice phone, but too bad the instructions are almost non-existent.  I purchased this and it is not even compatable in my area, even tho Tracfone states it is.  I receive no signal.  The instruction manual provided with the phone is extremely inadequate, and Sansung's manual on line is even worse.  There are many great features in this phone, but no instructions on how to use them.  Tracfone and Samsung both dropped the ball on this one!  They need to take it off the market until they can publish a comprehensive manual!  Unless you are an electronic guru, stay away from this one.
This one gets returned!!!

Pros

• Nice design and features

Cons

• Very inadequate instruction manual

Bob Courtney/ Knoxville,tn
posted on 08 May 2009, 23:55

bob

I have the above samsung cell phone. It is a good looking slider  phone and has all the functions I wanted such as camera,bluetooth and many other items, to many to list

Pros

• good color
  • great pictures
  • ease of use

Cons

• problem locating a car charger locally, since this phone just recently came available, maybe i can locate one soon