Samsung SCH-U740 User Reviews

Internet8.5/10

Katherine
posted on 02 Aug 2008, 17:10

WOW OMG

I work for verizon wireless and i deal with phones all day. I have this phone and the only problem with the phone is that it shuts off sometimes after sending a text message. I know it needs a firmware update but dont have the time to go into the store. I know it has the voice activated text and also sends pix and video. So the person who posted the comment about it not having those features needs a replacement. I have had no real problems with this phone and the sound quality is amazing! I am going to be sad to switch on september when I get my upgrade. I am going to the voyager because of the touch screen and mobile tv. But this phone is worth the money by far!

MotorolaExpert
posted on 24 Jul 2008, 20:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jul 2008)

Well.....

My mom used to have this phone, until she gave it to my aunt. this phone was ok in the time my mom had it, but it really wasnt the phone for me. the design was ok, features were good though, sound quality was awsome, while signal strength was mediocre. the value for your money was good though.

Brett
posted on 22 Jul 2008, 02:53

I've had this phone for a little over 7 months and I think it's great. It's small, sleek, and fun to play with. It's quite durable and lasts a long time. The only problem I had was with the charging port coming loose; this happened twice =(.

Other than that, I find it generally a good phone. The buttons are kinda small though, but you get used to it.

asdfjk;jl;
posted on 10 Jul 2008, 17:27

3.6

Well i have had this phone for about a year. Its a pretty good phone. Like the buttons look really small but you get use to it. The only think that i dont really like is the uh, picture size. And thats really about it. So all together its an alright phone

posted on 04 Jul 2008, 22:20

Good Value for the Money

I purchased the U740 to take advantage for the Vcast package. After a month of using the phone I've noticed a few things.

Good:
Speaker phone, support 4 gig micro sd card (8 with software upate), able to read the pictures and cam corder without uploading them, usage of mapquest to find address is nice.

Bad:
No head phone jack unless you use the adapter, battery drains fast in low signal area's, viewing of a picture after it's been saved, no external camera button.

This is a very basic phone if you want to get on the internet on the go. Overall is a good phone that needs to have some improvement.

posted on 30 Jun 2008, 23:28

6.4

ITS OK

I PURCHASED THIS PHONE A YEAR AGO AND HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH IT IF YOU OPEN THE SCEEN IN SIDE FLIP MODE TO FAR THE SCREEN WILL SHUT OFF AND CONSTANTLY REBOOTING IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING YOU DO WITH NO WARNING ITS VARY ANNOYING I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS PHONE TO ANYONE

samantha
posted on 30 Jun 2008, 12:33

A bang for your buck!

I have had this phone for a few months now. I love my phone. For the person that posted about the media player on the outside. If you hold down the hold button on the side of the phone while closed it locks it from being able to have the buttons selected. The voice to text is a nice feature as well as the keyboard. I am a verizon customer, and my signal isn't very good. I believe that is verizons fault not the phones. My phone was acting wonderfull until about a month ago. I need to take it in and have the software updated. again verizons fault with their programming not the phones fault. The only actual thing I hate about this phone is the small numeric keys. You def. cannot dial while not looking at the phone, without calling bankok or somewhere lol.

Avid cell phone junkie
posted on 13 Jun 2008, 11:40

I have had this phone for over 1 year and is still holding up nicely. I am hard on my phones and drop them often, the hinge is still intact and other then a few scratches the body has held together fine. Contrary to other opions posted this phone does have a camara, and vibrate mode. It is small and compact and fits nicely in the back pocket of my jeans, or in my purse.. Good job Samsung!

jdawg
posted on 12 Jun 2008, 14:17

About a year

I have had my Alias for about a year, and I love it.

PROS:
*opens both ways, one is easier for txting and the other is easier for talking
*dropped it a trillion times and it never broke or anything.
*I never had to replace it at all.
*Quick access buttons make it easier to find what you need faster.
*Loud speaker & Ringtone.
*Got the upgrade because phone started acting all weird, well that fixed it, but the upgrade made my vibrate suck.
*when you take a picture, you can see it on the front window, so its easier to take a pic of yourself with friends or whatever.
*camera flash works good.
*small, but not too small.

CONS:
*I am not too crazy with the music play buttons on the front of the fone for the simple fact that sometimes you tap it by accident and it starts playing music.
*when u txt with the keyboard, the thick peice (the top if you open it the other way) gets in the way of your fingers, takes some time to get used to. I had a hard time when I first got my phone.
*they dont have it in hott pink.

overall.. this is a very good phone..
I have 3 friends who also have it and they all love it.

Ian
posted on 08 Jun 2008, 01:09

sch-u740

I got this phone in February of '07 (i think it was actually the first week it came out) and i love it. Previously, i had an sch-a760, which was just a basic camera phone. I wanted to upgrade to a phone that had a QWERTY keyboard, and the only two options out there were this phone and the enV (not including smart phones). I absolutely love how the phone opens both ways and its reasonably small size. Because of the small size, i am able to text with one hand just like i would with my old phone. I've also loved how durable the phone is. I've dropped the phone many many times and it still works. It even spent 6 hours in a snow bank and nothing happened to it. The battery life is about 2.5 days, unless you are in an area where you struggle to find service. The camera is average. It has flash, but it doesn't really help. Only complaints i have: battery cover is extremely hard to get off, only holds 50 messages in the inbox, and the number buttons used to make calls are rather hard to find and read. I would definitely reccomend this phone to anyone. It has served me well.

Kendall
posted on 31 May 2008, 13:34

2.8

AWFUL

its broken 6 times.
the ringtones play weird if they are for texting
its difficult with the small keys.

John
posted on 28 May 2008, 19:27

UGH!

I have had this phone for a couple of weeks, I thought it would be great, but o, was I wrong. I can't make calls very easily, the reception is bad. The key board is too small for every day use. Also, this phone is just overall pretty boring. I am trading in for the enV2 or Voyager tomorrow. Samsung needs some work on their texting phones...I heard the Glyde isn't to good either.

Jessica
posted on 27 May 2008, 09:16

It's okay..

I'm 15 & a female & the phone broke really easy for me. One day this guy pushed me because we were playing around or whatever & i dropped my phone & the battery popped out and when i turned it back on the screen was sooo messed up. Then the battery (maybe it was just the charger) whatever it was stopped charging. So my phone died out within hours of that.. I had only had the phone for like 3 months..

Jim Bo
posted on 17 May 2008, 11:47

GOOD PHONE

I am 14 years old and this is my 1st phone and i love it. The guy who says it doesn't have talk to texting feature is a retard because it ha it. A lot of people say it breaks easy but mine hasn't (being a teen and a guy things usually break a lot in my life).

maddy
posted on 13 May 2008, 17:44

6.6

ughh this phone sucks

so when i first got this phone in april 07 i thought it was amazing! i couldnt get enough of it! until a few months later the battery started dying faster and faster everyday!! i used to not have to charge it for about two days and now if i dont charge it everynight it does in about five hours!!

another thing i hate about it is the camera. it totally sucks.
my cousin has the enV and her camera was amazing i got sooo jealous when i saw it.

another problem thats happening now when i read a message in the regular mode then push reply and try to flip it so i can use the keyboard to text back the phone dies on me. then i have to wait for the dumb V cast video thing to be done when it powers up.

it also scratches very easily. i have paint chips missing off of it.

and sometimes it has like a battery fart so im pushing buttons and it takes like 7 seconds for it to catch up with me.

and i hate that when you set your phone to vibrate it vibrates three times when you get a text. so if its in your pocket you have to wait for the first three vibrates to be done to tell if its a call or just text.

i hate that you can only play games in the flipped mode.

and unless you have a chip it only fits like five songs on there.

and when you set a video to your background it had this dumb picture of a camera for a few seconds until it uploads your video.

i dont really mind the buttons, you get used to them after a day or two.

over all i loved it when i first got it but...

posted on 04 May 2008, 20:57

This phone is amazing, I dropped it in the jacuzzi and it still works perfectly.

j
posted on 26 Apr 2008, 11:01

okay

My friend has this fone and it is really nice if you text alot. It's really easy to adapt to pressing such small buttons. And one really cool thing I found about it is that you can set videos as your background. However, after having it for about 4 months, her fone died because it ran out of battery life, nothing out of the ordinary. But then she went charge it, and nothing happened. It wouldn't turn on or charge or respond. My friend took it to Verizon and they gave her a replacement fone. Then, within a month, the same thing happened! It died and wouldn't respnd. So, again, she took it into Verizon and she got the same fone. Now, I don't know why she would get the same fone that has died on her twice now, but maybe that says something about the fone. Other than that flaw, the loudness and clarity is great and there are many very cool features about it.

Jason
posted on 13 Apr 2008, 13:29

awswome!!!!!!

this phone is awsome. i can hide it well in school. its really loud theres no way ill misss a call by it ringing.

Nick
posted on 30 Mar 2008, 12:21

This Is My Joint!!!

im in love with this phone...i just got it yesterday,and if i didn't need to sleep, it wouldn't of left my hands lol...the features are great. sound quality and loudness is crazy. I've heard people complain about the p button. i do see what they mean but get over it. push the button and move on with your life!!!...
All in all... i absolutely love this phone. to me, i don't see any flaws...since i have to deal with verizon, this will definitely ease the pain...lol

sammie
posted on 30 Jan 2008, 11:58

best phone ever!!!

I think people dont like this phone beacuse you have to be smart in order to use it and alot of people just arent. The buttons are just fine its super easy to txt and it does send pic msgs and it does have a vibrate mode. If you are right handed or left its easy to flip you just have to have common sense. So this phone is amazing. Ive dropped it in water and ive had it for almost a year and nothings wrong with it. Im sorry people feel this way about a great phone and arent smart enough in order to use it but maybe next time you should get the shrek phone its for kids but maybe it will be easier for you to use but be careful it has 3 buttons on it and that maybe hard for you sorry to be so rude but the SANSUNG U740 is the best phone ever :)

Gordon
posted on 12 Jan 2008, 16:50

great!!!

I got this phone being very wary because i thought it might fall apart because it looked fragile. now that i have it, it feels much more sturdy. The hinge does develop some play over time of use but it still does not feel unstable. Another design flaw i saw was that if u had big fingers than it is much harder to type but thats not to bad.

voxluna
posted on 15 Dec 2007, 17:13

A great little phone

I don't know what some of these reviewers are smoking ("There is no vibrate mode [yes there is] and you can't picture message [yes you can]" or "When I got it home and opened it there are like 50 buttons! [so you didn't look at it in the store?]" but they're all over the map.

So please take this serious review into consideration. My previous experiences have been with an LG VX8000, a Razr V3m, an XV6600 PPC, and many other Verizon and AT&T phones, FWIW.

The first thing I tried was BitPim, to see if it worked, and how the filesystem was laid out. Success, when I set it to be an A950. Yet I haven't needed it after discovering the microSD card can be removed and, using your PC, you can place files directly into my_pix, my_sounds, my_music and my_flix without syncing with WMA. Just load them up and there they are! Wondrous, considering how Verizon crippled e.g. the V3m.

The outer screen allows you to see incoming calls with picture ID, and read incoming text messages, like my LG did. It also has an attractive analog clock (see photo) with roman numerals if you like. There are touch-sensitive keys for playback, and a hold key on the side to prevent inadvertent activation.

The internal memory is a decent amount for Get It Now apps, and you can move files (pix, music, and so on) back and forth from the removable card to the phone.

The web browser is still a WAP type (Openwave 6.2) but has been improved upon, including the ability to go directly to a URL from the browser itself...

kristina
posted on 30 Oct 2007, 17:02

I love the U740

I have had atleast five phone since this one, and I have to admit its one of the best phones I have ever had. I do give it 10 out of 10. Its great for text messanging, its light, its small, its just perfect. And For durability, Its pretty good, i dropped my phone a few times and nothing has happend. i had this phone for about 5 months and so far no problems, i love this phone. The only down fall on this phone is the picture quality on this phone. its a bit dark but other then that it alright. Like I said I have no problems with it and I give it two thumbs up.

Chason
posted on 28 Oct 2007, 01:20

Amazing

Ok, So I love this phone Iv'e had it since aroundthe end of July and It makes texting so much easier. As to the comment about a man not being able to use it... that's stupid.. im a man ... I hardly hit the wrong keys....ever. I Pretty much love peoples reactions when you open it ... then you have to show them ... how it opens both ways because they always ask when they see all the letters sideways. But really it amazes me and its the best phone I've ever had

Debra
posted on 13 Oct 2007, 13:22

I got this phone cause I txt a lot, I had the en-v when I traded up to this junk. The Keypad is just too small!!!! I don't have big hands and I keep hitting the key next to the one I intended to push. I can't imagine a man using this phone! Everyday I wish I hadn't given my En-v to my spouse, going to get the LG Voyager when it comes out and put this junk to bed.