x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung Rugby II Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Rugby ii clamshell

z3braman 14 Feb 2012, 13:47 posted on

I have this phone -- refurb ATT 19 (plus 18 process fee). The modem is advertised as fast. I did speed checks with the built in browser pointed to mobilespeedtest dot com. It pushed close to 4000 bits per second on the tests. Does that translate into useful speed? Did not notice. The web pages loaded slow and videos buffered.

The screen is pretty awful for wathing video by the way.

I tethered the modem to my mac book air as well as my Samsung netbook. The PC handled the connections better but the Mac was greatly improved over the Nokia 6350 this unit is auditoning to replace.
The mobilespeedtest on the laptop (bluetooth and/or usb tehtered) did pretty well. Not only did it not disconnect frequently but the speed was better than the nokia. The tests were similar but the actual use appeared more fluid. I used this over the course of two weeks. I ride a train from DC to Balto everyday. The phone tethered well to my iphone (jailbroken/no sim). It connects automaticlly with ibluever (best connection of all three platforms and pretty seamless).

The cons on the connection: If I am tethered, I can't use the cell phone apps like bluetooth when I am using the usb port. This was not a problem with the nokia 6350.

I just installed the rugby drivers via the "New PC Studio". The connection is very good on speed tests and improved over the bluetooth connections. Still can't use the bluetooth now that I am usb-tethered.

I also can't access the web browser or other online apps when the unit is tethered. Not a problem with the Nokia 6350. For example, if I had my laptop using the connection but I wanted to use an iphone app (no sim card in jailbroke 3gs) the bluetooth is turned off so it can't connect.

I think I might tether to a router so I can just share over wifi. It's another piece of gear but it's in my office so I am not moving. On the road I might have to live with it.

Another choice I have been looking at is the Nokia ASHA 300 Series 40. The requirements I look for bluetooth 2.1 EDR+, HSPA (7.6), and multi tasking. The connection has to be micro usb. The headphone jack is not a deal breaker because I have the iphone and the laptops plus I can't stream from the phone itself. I like usb to go but have no experience but I could see it as a backup in th field for camera storage.

The Samsung Rugby ii is a blocky phone. It has a decent battery and a good feel to it. I don't use the PTT so I wish that was programable but the biggest detration has been the lack of multitasking with the tether connections (bluetooth and usb).

I read about a problem with texting where the msg stays in the outbox but I have not had that problem.

I also read about some reliabilty issues but the phone has not performed badly in the connections and sound quality areas.

I still have a week or two before I have to send it back. It was only 19 bucks so I might just keep regardless of the defects. It'd be a decent back up. THe Series 40 nokias look pre

posted on 14 Feb 2012, 14:07

1. z3braman (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)

I stand corrected on the texting while tethered thing. I just checked, after I had installed the modem drivers. I can now text while tethered. So if someone texts me while I am connected it will go through. The web app works simultaneously too. I have not tried it again with the mac though. There is no reason to expect it to work there however because I didn't change anything.

posted on 26 Mar 2012, 08:56

2. z3braman (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)

Well, somehow I lost my rugby and now I have the ASHA 300. Just got it and haven't run it through its paces yet. I did a quick bluetooth connect to my airbook and that works great -- for a reasonable while till it hangs. If nothing else, make sure you get 2.1 bluetooth to make the connect process as seamless as possible. I'm trying to usb tether and I can't get it see the phone.

posted on 26 Mar 2012, 08:58

3. z3braman (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)

One more thing. The rugby was okay but I think I prefer the candy bar to the clam. Plus the size is a bit much. I never dropped it so I don't know how it holds up to that abuse. Still think the screen sucks. The asha screen is very nice. And the ASHA doesn't have those annoying ATT apps that don't stop popping up.
Also the buttons as someone else said, get punched regularly. The worst is the PTT button. Useless.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories