Samsung Rant User Reviews

Multimedia6.3/10
Call quality7.7/10
Reception8.3/10

missharrypotter34
posted on 28 Aug 2012, 20:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)

LOVE this phone

missharrypotter34 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

My mom bought this phone refirbished, and she used it for about a year, then she upgraded to the Iphone 3g so I got her old phone, it worked great and even though I dropped it so many times the screen and phone still worked fine, just over a year I had had it, it would sometimes turn off by its self or if I slid the keyboard too fast. I got a new phone later but my step brother sphone broke, so he used it for about 5 monthes and even though it sit in a drawer it still works good!

T0501st
posted on 09 Aug 2012, 18:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)

Good Phone

T0501st has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was my first phone I ever got. The QWERTY keyboard helped greatly then using the buttons on the front of the phone. It was very reliable in everyday circumstances. Even with slow speeds from Sprint the phone continued to operate great

Build quality 9/10 Dropped it a couple of times and it would still work
Reception 10/10 Worked great in places my current phone has problems in
Internet 2/10 Yes there was internet on the phone most web browsers wouldn't load.
Multimedia 2/10 Supported limited media
Camera 2/10 Low MP
Everyday usage 8/10 It lasted everydya
Text input 10/10 QWERTY!
Display 5/10 The pixel density of the screen was pretty low
Battery 7/10 Battery was about average but it did last a full day.

Pros

• QWERTY

Cons

• Small Screen
  • Low MP Camera
  • Internet

Kelly
posted on 27 Nov 2010, 22:47

overall decent phone

Kelly has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had this phone for probably close to 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. I read alot of the other reviews but I have to say, it never froze on me so I have no idea what they are talking about. My phone is always on and I'm constantly using it and I don't see a problem. The battery life isn't great but I got in the habit of charging my phone every night anyway so it wasn't a problem for me. Overall, I was satisfied with this phone.

Charles Wachal
posted on 08 Sep 2010, 06:30

HATE THIS PHONE

DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE IT IS A WASTE OF MONEYThe phone continually freezes and it is annoying when you are in the middle of writing a text and the phone freezes... I am on my 4th phone from Sprint and they have all done it. On top of that it has a mind of its own...I will lock the phone, place a password on the phone, and it still calls people and then it uses a lot of minutes on calls that should never have happened. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!

Pros

• Nothing

Asia
posted on 02 May 2010, 18:12

Samsung Rant: The Demon Phone

When i first bought the samsung rant i was thoroughly happy. It was shiny, easy to use, and great for texting. But after a month or two it started freezing and turning itself off. So I took into the Sprint store and they ordered me a new one. This processed continued over and over until they ordered my 5th one. The 5th one's screen garbled, meaning the screen colors and text would invert. the text would turn upside down and backwards and the only way to read it was to flash it into a mirror. i took it into the sprint store and they, yet again, ordered me a new one. I am currently on my 8th one and still having trouble but its okay because my contract ends next weekend. thank God. But the worst thing this phone does is call people or text people when i gave it no intsruction to. it has a mind of its own. i wouldn't reccommend  this to anyone.

Pros

• mp3
  • texter friendly

Cons

• freezing
  • turning off
  • garbled screen
  • it has a mind of its own

Samie
posted on 29 Apr 2010, 17:19

Was good for the first few weeks and then....

When I got this phone I was so excited. But then it would freeze on me and it would only charge when the battery was really close to dying. So I took it to the sprint service place and they tried to fix it but couldn't so they ordered me a new one.Then this one would freeze and shut down and call and text my friends like it had a mind of its own. I took that one back and they ordered me a new one. This is the one I have now. Now on this one, when you slide it out the "B," "V," and "Space" buttons don't work. And this is the third one I've had. Took that one back to and they ordered me a new one that just came in today. I'm getting it tomorrow. So.........lets see whats wrong with this one shall we. Oh and all this happened in less then a year I got on Apr 1st my birthday. except for the one I'm getting now this is three phones in less than a year that have all had a or many viruses. I'm so sick of this!!!!!!!!

KaJuan
posted on 30 Jan 2010, 13:43

Good for a while

at one time i had a razor but i broke it in half so i went and traded it in for thy rant. The rant turned out to be a really good phone at the time which was like a year ago january. IIts was working perfectly and then it started to work slower as i got a 4 gb memory card for my music then the phone started working really slow and would sometime even froze up. Other times the phone cut off on its own, unlocked its self and periodically calls someone if a certain type of headphones were inserted into it. overall then phone is only suppose to last bout a year in a half. This phone isn't worth a 2 year contract!!!

Pros

• great apps
  • good internet
  • qwerty key board
  • 2.0 camera
  • good selection of ringers/wallpapers
  • sprint tv/radio

Cons

• shut down on its own
  • freezes
  • slows down
  • not a lot of head phone choices

BillyxxJr
posted on 09 Aug 2009, 23:50

It was a good phone but....

I traded the first Sanyo Katana in for the Rant in December. It worked great until May. The phone started freezing up everytime I tried to access the phonebook or try and text messege someone. Then in July it started shutting itself off and the battery was dying faster then usual. But, I could still call and text and it continued to freeze and turn off by itself. Then in the beginning of August people were complaining that my phone was static and on my side theres was to. So, Thursday I traded my Rant in for the Exclaim and have yet to have a problem with it. Its an overall great phone and Im very satisfied with it. The Rant was a great phone and very nice. I think it was one of the best phones Ive had. But, I didnt like the fact of it shutting off for no reason. And I only dropped it 2 times. once on a couch and once on padded carpet. So, thats not the reason.

Pros

• MP3
  • The design
  • QWERTY Keyboard
  • The loudness of it

Cons

• Freezes to much!
  • Cant get any ringtones

Nesha622
posted on 07 Aug 2009, 15:57

I got this phone about a week ago && i love it. The keys on the QWETY keyboard r kinda tight but after a while you get used 2 it. When u first get the Rant its a lot 2 install and set up but it shouldnt take 2 much time. The Apps are great. Other then that its a great phone 4 texters.

Pros

• 3G
  • QWETY Keyboard

Cons

• Freezes
  • No headphones

wife
posted on 06 Aug 2009, 14:39

my review

I loved this phone the minute is was put into my hand. Its got a nice heavy feeling to it,unlike other fones that feel like cheap plastic. texting was & is the reason i got the fone in the first place. Has sum pretty nice things on it. but theres to problems i have with this fone. 1) If u dont have the data plan...dont plan on getting any ringtones. U get charged way to much for a 30 sec song. 2) it frezzes not just when u have the key lock on,but sumtimes when texting,making a call....or doing anything. its not terrible but gets a lil annoying.

Pros

• Mp3 player
  • clear calls
  • fast texting
  • nice heavy weight

Cons

• Cant get ringtones
  • frezzes

posted on 17 Jun 2009, 14:01

this is a horrible phone. i got it as an upgrade from my Rumor, and i was happy with the Rant at first.the keyboard is a little hard to work, and crowded, so i just don't use it unless i'm entering a new word into T9.the Rant freezes sometimes when your texting or on the internet, and i've had to take my phone to the sprint store twice because i couldn't text. the Rant doesn't update itself all the time, and that causes problems with texting and internet access. the only way to fix this problem is to go to the sprint store and have them update it. i'm not a big fan of the one click carousel that sprint has been using lately. the memory card that comes with the phone holds about twenty songs, and the music player doesn't start if you don't have enough memory on your phone.
if your upgrading from the rumor you'll be dissapointed. Many of the good things about the rumor, such as being able to assign a text and ring tone for each person, slide shows as screen savers, and a easy to use keyboard, you can't do with the Rant.

YankeeJohnN
posted on 13 Jun 2009, 12:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 Jun 2009)

kool

Greqat Features like youtube nd facebook rghuiergjuierdgbuirtnyhgrfdbhtgnergtgnfgrgnnggrgkdfmgrgrgkfdjgjkgngd

wooya!
posted on 07 Jun 2009, 19:52

okay phone.

WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE OTHER THEN IF YOU TEXT ALOT.
FEATURES:the lg rant is a great phone, i do not have the data plan so i couldn't tell you how internet and such goes. texting on this phone is great, it keeps up with you and types everything you intend to type, unlike the lotus.i really dont see what you can do with this phone other then texting. i wuldnt use this phone for music and its defintly not a smart phone.
OVERRATED: Everyone has been getting these phones lately, the slider phones. If you want to break away from the herd, then dont buy this phone. its a great phone, but its baseiccly just an upgrade of the lg rumor, and just like the rumor. it has nothing better to do then texting. if you dont mind people saying "everyone has that phone", then this is a great phone for you.
FREEZING: You may have heard problems with freezing. Well it does freeze, but not too much. and when it does its not that big of a deal. You can just tap the end button twice and your problem is fixed. Sometimes the phone shuts off, for no reason at all. Just by sliding it in and out or just having it sittin' around.

-NOTE: Although this review isn't that postive on this phone. It is a great phone for "every 5-minute texters". So if you text alot, and you dont want to spend a lot of money, get this phone!

Pros

• -texting is awsome
  • -looks shiny.
  • - camera and battery are okay

Cons

• -2.5 headphone jack
  • -on the more heavier side of phones
  • - sorta bulky
  • -overrated
  • -freezing

LOVELY GIRL
posted on 06 May 2009, 16:40

WORST PHONE EVER

This is the worst phone ever! I loved it when i got it, untill i started getting my text messages up to a day late. So i took it to sprint and they had to order me another phone after having my first one only a week. The secound phone came and with-in two weeks it did the same thing. So i took it to sprint once again and they ordered me yet again another one. It came in the mail the next day. I had this phone for two hours before my internet stopped working the phone froze up couldnt make any out going or incoming calls and couldnt send or recieve text, plus it wouldnt let me in to the camera or pictures. So for the third time i took it to sprint after only having the third phone two hours and once again they said it would have to be released. So I am done with the rant. I have a Palm Cenro now and it is great. To everyone who wants a Samsung Rant forget it, it is the worst phone ever!!!!!!! It may look cool but nothing works right...i am not the only one two of my friends had to replace theres sevreal times and now have new phones. Save your self the money spend the extra 50 dollars and get the palm centro!!!!1

Pros

• Camera is great

Cons

• freezes up
  • internet hardly ever works
  • screen freezes when you slide it open and closed
  • you get your text messages up to 24 hours late
  • battery life sucks
  • alarm hardly ever goes off
  • doesnt always unlock when you try to unlock it
  • Doesnt always ring
  • Hardly ever gets calls through or out
  • WORST PHONE EVER!!!

Shashank
posted on 26 Apr 2009, 15:24

Great phone and must buy the phone.

I had the phone and it was not working well, so I send it to Samsaung to get it repaired. When I got the phone back, it was working great. no problems yet. I am able to set different ring tone for different people. Go to the persons contact and click on edit. then go down to ringtones and change it. I was able to download the ring tones. I did not have any problems after the phone came back from getting repaired. If you are having problems with the phone send it to Samsung to get it fixed. I am very happy I did that. I wish the phone had a 3.5 mm headphone jack. I wish the phone came with 2.5 mm headphones.

Pros

• Everything.

Cons

• No search feature when your in your music library.
  • Can not sync the contacts with the computer.

Diana
posted on 05 Mar 2009, 17:16

Owner, Mom, new grandmom

I LOVE this phone. I love the keyboard. I have learned to type like a wizard on a small keyboard!! I love the camera. So much better than the Rumor's. I love the one click and how fast everything happens. I can type and send a 3 page text message before I know it. I have never had any problems with the battery or anything else for that matter. I have to say the iggest problem was decding on which color to get...........LOL

Pros

• Camera, options and video. Keyboad made really well. Easy to type on. Not sloppy like the Rumor was.

Cons

• Um, I did run over on my bill due to data charges. But that has nothing to do with the phones quality. So no cons....

SUCY AS HELL
posted on 28 Feb 2009, 19:26

SUCY AS HELL

THIS THE WORST PHONE IN THE WORLD.I ahd it for a week. the lady who gave me the phone in the sprint slided the keyboard and it broke I just got the unlocked Env2 and used that

Pros

• NOT A THING

Cons

• EVERYTHING

sma321
posted on 21 Feb 2009, 13:17

The Rant is a really good phone. It has many features, and the qwerty keypad works great for me! The only problems I have are with unlocking the phone sometimes, but its very easy to get around if it ever happens(it's only happened i think twice). I'm so glad I upgraded from the Rumor. The keyboard is bigger, it has a better camera, and the Sprint One Click carousel on the bottom of the screen makes everything so much faster and easier.

Pros

• QWERTY Keypad
  • Sprint One Click
  • Features

Cons

• Unlocking (sometimes)

drklunk
posted on 20 Jan 2009, 23:12

No Good

I bought this phone with high anticipations; it having the Sprint "Flow" menu (if thats what its called), a 2mega pixle camera, QWERTY keyboard, and a YouTube application. After almost a month, Im very disappointed. This phone has a number of great qualities but I am overwhelmed with the few bad ones. The battery doesnt last very long, at all, if you use the keyboard; Ive experienced a number of technical issues, for example, twice when I had been using the keyboard and closed it the back lights wouldnt turn off until I removed the battery. For what its worth, its a great phone, no doubt about it. I suppose Ive just the bad luck when it comes to this sort of thing.

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard
  • SMS Text is stored in a "conversation" style
  • 2.0 MPX camera
  • Nice screen

Cons

• Battery doesnt last too long
  • Technical issues at times

Christy
posted on 17 Jan 2009, 16:42

unlocks itself

My husband got this phone at Christmas and is very happy with it except that the unlock buttons are not sheltered, so the phone unlocks itself in the holster.  To unlock the keys, you have to press * and Back, but you can punch any other keys in between, and it still unlocks.  The * is unsheltered on the corner, and the Back button sticks way out, so it gets bumped easily.

Pros

Cons

• Unlocks itself accidentally. The unlock buttons are not sheltered from accidental pushes, so what's the point?

Christyna
posted on 04 Jan 2009, 12:49

wow

My boyfriend has the lg rumor and at first it was great but then  i got the rant and now he wants one! this is the first phone ive had like it but all i can say is wow at the fact that its alot better than the rumor!

Pros

• full key board,big lcg fast downloads

Cons

• i wish i could hide the carousel

posted on 14 Dec 2008, 21:52

rant vs. rumor

I have had the phone for about two months now, and i must say that it is an improvement after going through three lg rumors. but it definately has its flaws like: the camera (even thought it is two megapixel you must restart the phone for it to work. and the internet same thing , you must restart it and there is no way i can get my phone to download ringers it would at first but now there is no way and reception is horrible one thing that was good about my rumor was the reception and this phone drops calls left and right so all I am saying is do your research and be careful because my luck with phones is absolutely horrible i have gone through five in less than a year. and sprint in itself is not a good company but i get my phone bill for free so i aint complainin' but they are good about replacing phones if you just put pressure on them

Pros

• -designs
  • -keypad
  • -one-click interface

Cons

• -data
  • -camera
  • -reception
  • -messaging freezes up occasionally

Mack Simmons
posted on 10 Dec 2008, 13:03

Great phone for those who don't need all the Blackberry stuf

After having owned the phone for 15 days, I can say that I'm completely satisfied with it:
E-mail: Not only can you check your corporate e-mail on it, but can set up all your POP3 and IMAP e-mails. Thanks to the Qwerty keyboard, you can also write a lengthy reply or send out an e-mail when needed. Setting up e-mail accounts on the phone is also easy.
Keyboard: Probably the best keyboard I've seen on any phone, including the Blackberry (and I own a couple of them). Not mushy at all. You can type with ease.
Voice quality: Sweet. The speakerphone is nice and loud, but clear at the same time. When talking in handset mode, you can hear everything clearly (depending on reception). Bluetooth is not bad at all, but as with most phones, it depends on the headset being used. My low-end Jabra is decent, but it's no Motorola; so I'll be upgrading the headset this Christmas.
Contacts: Easy to use phone directory; you can add up to three e-mails and several phone numbers for each contact, along with their IM handle, Web site and a memo on each person. Sadly, you can't easily sync with Outlook or Gmail. But it's easy to get around.
Interface: Comes with Sprint's One Click carousel, which is easily customizable and allows you to add Google or Yahoo shortcuts. Some have criticized the carousel because it was developed in BREW and isn't the original Samsung UI. But most people want an easy-to-use interface with limited customization. One Click does the job.
Camera: Like most cellphones, average...

Pros

• Great slider design.
  • Voice quality and speakerphone are excellent.
  • Can easily access e-mail.
  • Qwerty keyboard the best out there right now.
  • Has the SprintTV entertainment stuff you want.

Cons

• Camera button on lower right means that you end up pressing on camera mode if you're not careful.
  • Web browser is nice, but needs work.

libby
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 14:01

AWESOME!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get this phone. Im getting it for christmas, and I couldnt be more excited! I definently recommend this awesome phone!

Pros

• Great keyboard,and awesome batterie life! I RECOMEND THIS PHONE!!!!!!

Cons

• NONE ONCE SO EVER!!!!!!

fotophrk
posted on 13 Nov 2008, 14:51 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Nov 2008)

So glad this phone popped my QWERTY cherry!!!

I had a $250 credit coming to me from Sprint, that's how much time I spent looking for a new phone. Sprint just didn't seem to have anything that was just what I needed and different. I thought of going with the Instict, but there were just too may features on it for me. I didn't want anything that would be dissappointing after what I had, an older Sanyo Katana. Finally I saw the the Samsung Rant on a commercial and it was like the light of God shined down and I knew this was my phone. Immediately I looked up the reives on it and looked over all the specs, a few days later I took the leap.
Not only is this phone stricking in appearance but it's nearly perfect in all other ways. I got it in black, the blue outline is so cool. The display is a perfect size. The keys are easy to use. A cool feature on the display is called the carousel, one click shortcuts to the phone features, and it's customizable. The camera and camcorder work great and as the title suggest, this phone is like the Rumor with a landscape slide feature to a full QWERTY keyboard. I was nervous to use this style, but figured I'd pick it up fast. I did.
A different review says you can't download ringers, but I was able to. I haven't used the music player yet.
Sound quality is good. Reception is good. The only complaint I got on it is that my voice sound slightly muffled, but with my old phone the mic was right at my mouth, this mic ends up further back on my cheek. It's not so much of a problem, just something...

Pros

• Sturdy construction
  • Easy to use
  • Looks awesome

Cons

• Can't set a different ringer for different people
  • Wish there were more accessories for it