Samsung Propel User Reviews

Everyday usage9.5/10
UI speed7.5/10
Camera5.5/10

JanisBaby00
posted on 07 Nov 2011, 12:53 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)

Nice phone!

JanisBaby00 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I had this phone for two years. For the first year and a half I had absolutely no problems with it, except for the crappy pictures it takes. It only started to get bad with battery life around the two year mark, and I had this phone on all the time, so overall great battery life. I wouldn't recommend this phone to someone who likes to take pictures, but if you like to text and email, this phone is for you.

petsiste8
posted on 17 Oct 2011, 21:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)

Pretty Good Phone:)

petsiste8 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have no idea what people are talking about on some of these. This is a pretty reliable phone with some helpful tools if you just want a simple messaging phone. It has a pretty lame camera and not very good resolution but it's not terrible. The keys are a little smooshed, but I personally like them. I type more with my nails anyway. The thing is amazingly durable; I've dropped it so many times and can practically throw it at a concrete wall with no damage. If you drop it, the back falls off sometimes, but not a huge deal. This thing has been ran over by a golf cart, has flew out of my pocket when I'm biking and survives to tell the story. It has pretty good messaging, but not wonderful service. I also find that if I am in a zone with no service and someone calls me, it won't even ring or ever tell me I missed a call. A few small things like this have been happening recently, but it's getting a bit old. It has some fun easy features like a calendar, stopwatch, demo games, currency converter and many others. It's definately no smart phone, but it served its purpose. It's easy to use, a nice size, fun and you can have fun with the picture editing and other stuff. Also has customizable themes and shortcuts. I use it without data and would have no idea how internet. It also has a keychain hole, which I used for many months, with it of course falling to the ground and getting scratched many times...:)

Call quality 7/10 Sometimes echoes or is a little funky, but usually pretty clear. Occaisonally it will just totally be weird and I can't hear the person, but mostly has great speakers.
Internet 6/10 I haven't used the internet, I wouldn't know.
Camera 6/10 Pretty Grainy.

Pros

• user friendly, simple, customizable, battery life is good, SUPER durable

Cons

• reception and random mess ups

cfaye
posted on 29 Sep 2010, 11:57

This phone has worked perfectly fine for me

I don't know what these other reviewers have been doing to their phones, but I can honestly say my phone has not had an easy life, but it has been surprisingly sturdy. With a 2-year-old that drops my phone constantly, I have experienced no ill effects other than a battery cover that falls off and battery falling out when dropped. Yes, the screen does have a few scratches, but not bad, especially after being  jumbled around in my purse all day long. I have had no problems with dropped calls or bad reception.  Overall, it has been a pretty good phone, in my opinion.

I actually came to the website just to view specs on my phone, and after reading the bad reviews, felt I had to post something positive. :)

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard
  • Good connectivity
  • Easy menu features
  • Sturdy

Cons

• Keys are smaller than expected
  • Maximum volume not as loud as I would like

posted on 13 Aug 2010, 00:22

I didn't find anything too bad about this phone. I like it.

I've had my Propel for a year and a half. The keys on the keyboard ARE small, but I got used to them quickly. The camera isn't bad, but the zoom sucks. The editing features for photos aren't bad either. The only thing I really don't like is that the volume for the ringtones don't go too loud. I even dropped mine in the toilet and it still works fine for the most part.

Pros

• keyboard
  • pictures

posted on 22 Jul 2010, 14:48

2.7

HORRIBLE SERVICE, HORRIBLE PHONE

I get almost no service with this phone. I get almost none at my parents' house, at my apartment, at work... basically, nowhere I need it! My family and roommates have AT&T just like I do yet they get service just fine, I guess because they have different phones instead of this piece of junk. Sometimes it will say I have full service and 3G yet my texts still don't go through, I receive texts hours or even days after people send them, and I have at least 1 call dropped per day. The features are also lacking; the keyboard is tiny and hard to use, there is no conversation view option for text messages, the camera takes horrible pictures and has no editing options. Oh, and multimedia messaging doesn't work either. I could go on all day, but the point is, DON'T GET THIS  PHONE!! I have never done anything to damage it and have had it less than a year, and it still barely functions.

Pros

• Hard to think of any... I guess the color is nice.

Cons

• Bad Service
  • Poor Texting Options
  • Multimedia Messaging doesn't work
  • Few picture options
  • Dropped Calls

posted on 08 Jul 2010, 16:13

2.7

DO NOT WANT

Avoid this phone. I mean it. Seriously. My first ever cell phone decided to die on me, so ATT sent me a Propel as a replacement. Excited for its QWERTY keyboard and large size, I was pretty hopeful it'd be awesome. For a few days, it rocked. Then, it began its slow descent into suck.

~Terrible service (I have no service and can't call or text in my own home)
~Low battery life (I have to charge it every night or else it would constantly die on me)
~Freezing issues (occasionally, after failing to send a message, it brings up a menu saying "TRY AGAIN?" and a yes/no option. Occassionally, the only button that works when this happens is the cancel button)
~The screen is easily scratched
~The cover of the speaker fell out within a week of owning it
~Battery falls out easily
~Calls rarely go through, and when they do, they drop or I can only hear garbled bits and pieces of the call.

Now, I treat my phone's with love and respect, and I had all these issues. I rarely use it to call because it's such a hassle. Seriously...don't get this phone. Don't let your loved ones get this phone. If you see one, the only way to kill it is to drive a silver stake through its heart. Avoid it if at all possible.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Pros

• Large overall size
  • Easily navigated menus
  • Shortcut button to text messages

Cons

• Everything but the pros I listed

posted on 21 Jun 2010, 16:35

Samsung SGH A767 Propel

This phone is horrible. I have had this phone for ten month and I am definatley going to get a new one. Wen I got the Propel it worked fine. After a few weeks of use, I noticed the buttons started to stick and that it froze up frequently. I charged it every night, but the battery wouldn't stay charged. Recently my phone started shuting off when I put it down, and now I am having to constantly turn it back on. I remcoment that you do not use this phone.

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• buttons stick
  • freezes up
  • bad speakers
  • bad camera
  • small screen

Peggy
posted on 20 Apr 2010, 18:26

SUCKS!!!!

This phone gets really hot after a short time of use. I returned this phone 3 different times with the same problem. Now I have a different phone!!!! I had to constantly charge the battery. Some of the function were nice on the phone but it did not out weight the cons!!!

Pros

• takes good pictures
  • qwerty board

Cons

• small battery life
  • phone gets extremely hot after using for 15 min.
  • poor signal
  • too many steps to send out a text
  • hard to see in bright light/sun
  • hard to hear outside

uhmmm not saying :)
posted on 09 Feb 2010, 18:30

i hate this phone

I HATE WORST PHONE EVER!~Horrible signal ~small buttons~small screen~scratches easy~slow!~dropped calls all the time and i mean all the timeyupi hate it my "O" button and my space bar doesn't work and its really annoying!!!!!!!I HATE IT

Pros

• NOTHING

Cons

• ^^^^^^^^^^^EVERYTHING I LISTED UP THERE^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saydee Rose
posted on 27 Nov 2009, 20:36

Samsung Propel Review

This is a very useful, yet horrible phone! I have had it for 7 months and I am NOT satisfied!
Bad things: camera is slow, whole phone is slow, gets terrible signal, does not allow you to have a signature on your text messages, puts memory on phone and on card in seperate places, photos are listed, does not allow theme change, wallpaper can only fit to screen, very fragile, get's worn down fast, only allows 230 messages in inbox, at the top of the wallpaper it has a line across the top of the screen, does not show battery life or amount of signal unless you are on the wallpaper, does not give very advanced options, scratches easily, turns itself off of silent mode, is not very loud, short batter life.
Good things: qwerty keyboard, slides, gives a specific button on wallpaper for options, very slim, good style, allows "my folder", mp3 player, has a shortcut key on right side.
Tips: for signature, just put your signature in templates and add a template in every text that you send. If you get it wet, dry it with a hairdryer, GIVE IT TIME. When you drop it, the battery usually comes off, so drop it anywhere crowded. You can USUALLY get signal by holding it up in the air for a minute or two.
That's all I have to say about this phone, I hope that helped. (:

Kellie
posted on 30 Sep 2009, 16:47

Love it.

I have had this phone for about five months now and I love it. It feels good in the hand and its easy to operate.  I don't do any text messages but I like having the keyboard for imputing contacts into the phone book because it doesn't take forever to input a simple name. The only gripes I have about the phone are that it can't take over 300kb for a ring tone, its not very loud and getting the memory card slot and the slot for the charger open is a bit difficult because I don't have very long fingernails. Over time the phone does lose battery, mine used to stay charged for about a week with very little use and now I am good for getting it to stay charged for a couple of days.

Pros

• Full keyboard
  • large screen
  • lots of storage
  • not actually being a smart phone.

Cons

• battery slowly drains over time to where you have to charge it almost nightly
  • not very loud
  • very small ringtone size

posted on 16 Jul 2009, 18:01

Great phone!

I've had this phone for probably about 5 and a half months.. I havent had any problems except the keys were sort've small.. I also wanted a touch screen but this doesn't have one :(. And one more problem, the sound is not very loud so its sometimes hard to hear when someone is calling in a slightly loud place.. Other than those 2 things i would definitely recommend this phone!!

Pros

• -quick loader
  • -very easy to hold and work with

Cons

• -no touch screen
  • -loudness of ringtones
  • -small texting keys

poop
posted on 24 May 2009, 21:12

kewl!

i own the Samsung  propel, its my first phone and its great! screen is clear.........good graphics. i would recommend u get a texting plan. the only thing is it attracts finger prints on the buttons on the front. i would recommend  it.

Pros

• clear screen
  • good graphics
  • great keyboard

Cons

• buttons on front collect finger prints

Vitamins4022
posted on 15 Apr 2009, 08:45 (Posts: 55; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)

Lots of built-in memory!

I love this phone! I used to have a SE W580i (btw, i never had any problems with it) and i just switched to this phone. My favorite feature is there is LOTS of built-in memory! With all my previous phones I had to buy a memory card to hold all my pictures, but this phone had room for all to be transferred over and then some. The phone is very customizable too, I really like the ability to change the color of the dial screen! Mine is yellow with the numbers fading from pink to blue! :) The keyboard is rather small so its easy to push the wrong keys when texting, and I think its set up so that its too easy to accidentally send a text to everyone in your phonebook. I really do love the phone though!

Pros

• customizable
  • looks like a smart phone without the price

Cons

• too easy to send a text to everyone in the phonebook
  • microphone volume is somewhat quiet
  • keyboard is very small

VWGal
posted on 20 Mar 2009, 11:45 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)

Lovin' It!

So far I'm lovng this little phone!  Great size and feels good in the hand.  It just has an overall sleek pearl and red paint job! (I have the white propel).  They keyboard allows for quick texting and e-mailing.  Love the functions on here for web browsing as well.  I have had one small issue with MMS.  Mostly from Verizon to this phone (this may be an AT&T issue not phone issue).  Only other gripe is the sound isn't very loud no matter what setting or how loud you turn it up.

Pros

• Sleek stylish paint job
  • Qwerty keyboard
  • Fun look and feel
  • Comfortable in hand Overall

Cons

• MMS issues
  • Menu can be a bit annoying
  • Sound is a bit low

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:16

I was waiting for this one to come out. I had a A707 (or sync) and this one follows close to the same software so it is an easy switch. Plus I love text messaging on it. It is so much easier and faster with the QWERTY keyboard. I'm going to have to upgrade my messaging plan. This is a great phone to just talk and text as you please without all the fancy bells and whistles of smartphones.

Pros

• -Qwerty keyboard is great for messaging.
  • - large display
  • - Familiar samsung software. If you have ever had a samsung it is a breeze to navigate.

Cons

• - the keys lock very shortly after closing the phone. Wish I could do more while the phone was closed.