Samsung Omnia CDMA User Reviews

TY
posted on 17 Dec 2008, 15:30

This Phone is excellent choice best windows smartphone on the market the camera is a little overhyped its still better than the iphones though the battery-life could have been a bit better this phone needs not to be compared to the BEHOLD or the ETERNITY its a smartphone not a feature phone VERIZON announced that it will be unlocking the GPS feature so great news for Omnia users Opera 9.5 is great browser

Pros

• Great Webrowser
  • WIFI
  • GPS (will be unlocked soon)
  • Decent camera (although overhyped)
  • STORAGE CAPACITY (need i say more)

• WIN-MO application developers always want money for their 3pty apps
  • Verizon Focused all its Publicity on the overrated Blackberry storm

derek
posted on 17 Dec 2008, 12:17

Software incompatibility

This phone is, or could be, perfect. It's ideal for me in size b/c I'm bigger.
The landscape keyboard is great, and love the vibrating feedback. I have found this phone nearly perfect in every aspect.
Designwise, I wish the volume rocker was higher on the phone. It's located on the lower right, which is a weird place when I'm on a call trying to adjust the volume.
Accelerometer is great! It's quick to me.
My biggest gripe, and it's a big one, is that the Omnia screen size (200x400 or something like that) doesn't support much software! I've tried to download software from Handango, and hardly any of them are compatible. I REALLY wanted to put MobiTV or HandiTV on it, and it just doesn't work. MobiTV flat out won't load and give an error. Other game software only shows up on about 3/4 of the screen, and there's no way to play any of them without using your stylus (which is just don't use b/c I don't like the stupid dangling option for it!). Anyhow, I've had to request refunds for 3 of the 4 downloads.
SO, on the software compatibility issues alone, I may return it. I'm very torn b/c I love the phone otherwise. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me!
You need to attach the provided headset adapter to listen to the FM radio, as it's used as the antenna.
Reception is good, but my father has told me he hears some crackling when I talk to him on the phone.
That's all I have for now. I have had the phone for 2 weeks now. I'll have to decide quickly if I want to return it before...

Pros

• Opera browser
  • Accelerometer
  • Landscape virtual keyboard
  • TXT msg threading
  • Touchscreen is fun
  • Optical mouse! - I'd always wanted a mouse on WM!
  • Fits in my hand perfectly (prob b/c I have bigger hands)
  • Good scrolling through programs; swipe to move from picture to picture in viewing photos/etc.
  • WiFi and 3G work great - so fast!

Cons

• 3rd party software compatibility issues!!!
  • Weird location for earphones/etc... no regular earphone hole - you need to use their adapter which comes out of the left side. Just more wires to carry around!

posted on 16 Dec 2008, 19:15

same problem with the battery charging notification sound, and it doesnt support xvid play back as advertised. Also battery doesnt last long if fully utilize multimedia functions. Real media play back less satisfacory.

Pros

• sleek design.
  • 8GB storage
  • business card scanner
  • WM6.1 with MS office

Cons

• Verizon doesn't offer as much discount as AT&T.LOL
  • Camera not as good as hoped, not a real camera LOL
  • no sim card, can't use overseas

Mrhockey999
posted on 16 Dec 2008, 18:41

Great Phone but has its bugs

The phone itself is great.  It took me a couple of days to get use to, but for the most part I love it.  With that being said, the only thing I dislike, and acutally may return the phone because of this, is that when the phone is completely chared it sends out a notification and also plays an alarm / tone.  I don't know about most of you, but I charge my phone at night and don't care to be woken up at 3:00 in the morning just to know that my phone is fully charged.  You can turn down the acutally handset volume, but doing so also controls your text message  and other notifications volumes (everything except for a normal phone call ring).  Granted, I can live without knowing I have text messages coming in at night, but if you forget to turn down the volume....well you will get your friendly reminder of knowing your phone is fully charged.  I have looked through all the notification settings and none of them control this reminder.  I have also looked through the registry to try an adjust it...no luck. I have also contacted Verizon and Samsung and both of them have yet to find a way to disable it.   For some of you, this may be ok, but for me it actually may be enough to return the phone.  Which is a shame, because overall this is an excellent phone!

Pros

• >>>Great design
  • >>>Lots of good features

Cons

• >>>Unable to control some of the notificatiosn. Mainly, the alarm that goes off when your phone is fully charged.
  • >>>After connecting to my Exchange server, I did notice a performance issue. Screens that use to take milliseconds to load, now take 2-3 seconds.
  • >>>You can disable other notifications such as when new emails come into your inbox, but the device seems to ignore those settings and still displays the noficications.

Vikki
posted on 14 Dec 2008, 19:43

I luv it

I luv this phone!!! it is really cool and all of the features that it has are awesome!!! I have been waiting for it to come out. I'm not a big fan of Blackberries so when I saw this one, I couldn't wait to get it. The radio sound is great concidering its a phone. Its loaded down with software and it a neat toy for the Techno geeks of the world to play with.

Pros

• Large screen, nice resolution. loaded with software. fast processor for a smart phone.

Cons

• None at this time

ANoNoMyS
posted on 10 Dec 2008, 16:22

Question

I want to get the phone but i love to text. is it easy to??

macuser64
posted on 07 Dec 2008, 21:37

Loads of features

First off, this phone is NOT an iPhone "killer", as they are two completely different devices with completely different intentions for use.  That being said, I've had the iPhone and returned it.  It didn't do enough for me and I'm hoping the Omnia will.  I have had previous handsets with Windows Mobile and have many applications already.  There are TONS of applications available to users of Windows Mobile devices, some are free, some are for a fee.
So far, I've fully charged the battery and have set up email accounts, viewed my local weather, downloaded and installed the "VZAppZone" (which took 3-5 minutes), checked email in both account a couple times, played with the various widgets, calibrated the screen for both portrait and landscape modes, made a couple calls and I have barely touched the battery.  I'm not sure what was up with the previous poster's battery, but maybe it was faulty?  I don't know.
This phone/mini computer/etc., does a lot.  I especially like the GPS navigation application.  Sometimes it's helpful to have software TELL you where to turn.  Maps are great, but there is a reason they are less used nowadays and GPS machines are popular.
Call quality seemed to be very clear on the few calls that I have made thus far.  It took me a minute to figure out how to get the dialpad visible on the screen again once I'd hit the "send" button, which was necessary as I was required to enter digits on one call....

Pros

• feels nice in the hand
  • vast array of features for both business users and those new to smart phones
  • accelerometer
  • very good call quality
  • fairly intuitive to use

Cons

• none that I can find at this point, except the external "tail", meaning the stylus on the string.

posted on 07 Dec 2008, 18:10

This device over powers the iPhone with it feartues, suchas a 5MP camera and microsoft 6.1 professional. The accelerometer has a lag depending on the home screen but that doesn't compare to the quality of everything else.

posted on 07 Dec 2008, 18:08

Awesome!!! No complaints accept that the accelerometer could be a bit faster

Pros

• Camera, design, wfi, bluetooth , microsoft apps

Cons

• The accelerometer could be a bit faster

posted on 05 Dec 2008, 18:36

not as good as people are saying

I have had two so far and gave up...Wifi didnt work...Screen goes white a lot..Last one froze some...I also have IPhone and for the processor being so much faster is is slower and not near as smooth as I Phone. I sent 2nd one back today...screen does not show good it is lot less tan I Phone. Just really disappointed was hopeing for much better phone.

posted on 04 Dec 2008, 21:49

W29-1L

doesnt matter what anyone says this phone is one of a kind.
look at the reviews, thers 30 and 29 are in favor of the phone and 1 is against it
good things about the phone are the accelrometer whih is one of the best      windows mobile which i dont know why people say its bad it just takes a couple times to get used to then its great        mouse track which was a fantastic idea it really helps clicking those small buttons when you dont have your stylus (which i would nt use cause it horribly ugly- hangs as a dongle)  the wigit board (litlle app board on left side) is great even tough there arent manyy apps but theres about 10-12 and you can have a seperate menu when your phone is upright and vertical.    has wifi and 3g but been hearing that 3g doesnt work in US but not sure (please clarify)    this isnt a real big thing but i thaught it was cool you can set your phone so that when your phone rings you can turn it frontside down and it silences.

a nony mus
posted on 04 Dec 2008, 16:31

This is a great phone. The battery is a bit less than i wouldve wanted, but come on. it's like a freakin computer that fits in your pocket! and screw the GPS, use the one on your car. and if you dont want to pay for the one on ur car, pay the 10$ a month for verizons. NO BIG DEAL!!!!! anywho, great phone, except the texting might be hard if you have fat fingers, but its still decent. LOVE IT!!!!!!

djboyle
posted on 04 Dec 2008, 11:29

Favorite WinMo Phone to date

Coming from the samsung i760 I knew I would have an adjustment to the touch screen keyboard on the Omnia. But that goes for every touch screen only device. I made the transition within a few days and now I feel just as effecient on the Omnia as I did with a slide out keyboard.
The stock Omnia interface is OK but once you install the spb mobile shell with custom skins, the interface is top notch. SPB's mobile shell really completes the iPhone. I highly recommend people take a look at it.
I see that people have put Battery Life as a con for this phone. That is true if you leave the backlight settings at default. I changed my backlight settings to the lowest setting and can read the screen just fine in the sun. Indoors the screen is PLENTY bright. So, the point is play around with the manual settings of the backlight to get better battery performance. It just isn't necessary to have the screen backlight set high.
One gripe though. Write speed to the 8GB storage is SLOW. You really only notice it when transferring large files like Movies. My work around is to just put those large files on the MicroSD card instead.
If you like touch screen only devices, you have to give this a try. Especially with some third party interface shells and skins!

Pros

• Stable
  • FUN
  • TV-OUT

Cons

• Slow write speed to 8GB storage

Filtered Water
posted on 04 Dec 2008, 09:21

Great Phone But..

Actually, it really is a great phone.
WiFi, 5meg camera, video, mms, and Outlook synch...
My only gripes are this:
VZW took out the GPS, obviously because they want you to buy their navigation software for 10 buckaroos a month.
Eeer...I don't want to. I want to buy GPS software straight off and not be in $10 a month paying limbo. (I'm already paying for that data plan;)
So..what other software can I buy for GPS for the Omnia? Will TomTom and Garmin work, even though the gps chip may be disabled? (i.e - Goople maps can't find a satelite nor WLS)
Secondly, what is up with the internal storage of 88megs...? I know, I know ,there is an 8 gig hd, which I install all my software, but inevitably, some files Need to be stored in the 88meg area (windows related drivers, etc), even adobe flash for mobile forces you to install there...point is...can we somehow remove this arbitrary internal memory limitation?
Its like..I have 2 partitions..one is 88 megs and the other is 8 gigs. I load Windows on 88 megs and expect everything else to run off from the 8 gig partitions. Invariably, you will use the 88 megs no time.  My question is, can we increase the 88 meg partition to say 1 gig or....Anything we want?
That's it...answer both questions and we are GOLDEN.
Thanks (but no thanks)

Pros

Cons

• What I mentioned in my review - (88mg int hd, gps stripped)

ftp5056
posted on 04 Dec 2008, 01:17 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Dec 2008)

I have had the phone for 2 days now..... my contract was up and had the blackberry pearl so I didn want to give it up but felt like trying a new phone. I was very interested in the storm but after playing with it I was dissapointed and  didnt like it. I then looked at the htc touch pro and then this. The reviews convinced me to try this phone and I did.... So far I love it.
The widget sidebar is very cool and makes the whole windows mobile much more easier to navigate and fun to use. The call quality so far is good, battery life is decent not that great. I think the screen is ok but not as good as the storm or bold for sure. At frst I had difficulty with the navigation and typing since I was used to a real keypad and the bb phone but you can customize the settings to your liking. I like how you can set what type of keypad you get when entering a text ( such as the original, full keyboard, or the samsung keypad which is comparable to BB surtetype). I think its great how much their is to customize it and I dont mind not having my BB emails....the WM is fine. The browser is great...especially tabs. Also wifi is a very cool perk and DIVX playback for movies. I think the camera is good but I thought it would be better for having 5 Megapixels. I hope this review helps....I definietly think its the best smartphone offered by verizon....way better than the storm but I have not tried the touch pro. Also...my roomate has Iphone and I think this blows it away, I love Windowsmobile...

Pros

• -Functionality, Features, Windows mobile
  • -Camera
  • -WiFi
  • -optical mouse is cool
  • -threaded texts
  • -Size
  • -Good looking

Cons

• -Battery life
  • -stupid and pointless hanging stylus ( i dont use it)
  • -"VZW services" but not phones fault( VZ navigator and visual voicemail and data plan all alot $$$$$)
  • -Nothing major.....great phone I love it

BigRedNE
posted on 03 Dec 2008, 07:59

Different than the i760, better than the Storm in my opinion

I work as a tech manager in a VZW store in the NE area. I have had cellphones since 1992, and smartphones since 2004. I have had a Palm Treo 600, 650, 700p on Sprint, a Treo 650 on Verizon, a Moto Q and Q9m, a Blackberry 8830, an XV6800 (briefly), and most recently, an i760 from Samsung.
That being said, it's obvious that I like a physical keyboard, and this is my first touchscreen phone, let alone touchscreen/PDA phone. I use this type of phone as it is intended; I use the calendar, send email, edit Office documents (granted, simple ones), and surf the web. The camera is nice to have in a pinch, but I do have a regular camera as well.
So, here is my review of this phone. I am going through a learning curve not having a physical keyboard, but since I have used the Dare at work, and have been playing with the Storm, it is not totally unfamiliar territory to me. I am getting better at using it.
I like the feature set of the Omnia. Touchwiz is a very handy way to get to the most common options without going to the start button. The stylus not being attached to the phone is a bit of a negative for me. Since I carry my phone in a case, I'm afraid I'll lose the stylus; for now, I just use a closed pen when I need more accuracy than my finger permits.
I like the handwriting recognition; far better than the Palm Pilots I used to use before they integrated into phones.
This display is beautiful, very bright. The accelerometer works very well and the animation is eye pleasing without being...

Pros

• WinMo very stable so far
  • Phone is very clear with or without the headset
  • TouchWiz interface

• Unattached stylus

posted on 02 Dec 2008, 19:26

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggreatttttttttttt

posted on 02 Dec 2008, 03:16

Best phone ever! One of the greatest phone I've ever used. I love Samsung and Verizon

Patrick Kabala
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 18:49

I Just Got my Omnia

This phone is overall verygood phone. It has lots of feauters and so far the only thing i had a problem with is the battery life It's better than the Blackberry Storm due to more features and Wifi

Pros

• -Good display
  • -Camera
  • -Widgets
  • -size, weight, appearance
  • -Touchscreen
  • -Optical mouse
  • -voice quality
  • -DivX support
  • -Wifi

Cons

• Battery dies quickly

U.N. Owen
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 14:42

Omnia

This phone takes some time getting used to (Windows Mobile) but is good overall. For someoone who has only used the Iphone touch screen, the Omnia screen is much harder to get used to. I have had it for 3 days now and am starting to get used to it.  Once I figure out how to actually use the phone and all its features I know I will soon be obsessed about it.  I think I am happy with the purchase...
Oh, and the battery on mine is god aweful. I charged it all night, and have been reading emails/text all day and there is only 2 bars of battery left (7am-345p EST)

Pros

• size, weight, appearance, camera

Cons

• windows mobile (first time user)

osnappp
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 14:42

I want the phone. The only thing that bothers me is the 2.5 headphone jack and its annoying converter.

posted on 01 Dec 2008, 12:22

Received Omnia Friday, 28-Nov-08

I ordered the Omnia the day before Thanksgiving and got it Friday.  After shopping for a couple of months waiting on my "new every two" discount, I ordered the Omnia sight unseen (at least in my hands).  The phone has Windows Mobile 6.1, including two web browsers (IE and Opera).
WiFi and blue tooth both work on the telephone, but GPS is disabled (requiring one to subscribe to VZNavigator for $10 / month).  I downloaded Mobile Google Earth and was encouraged when the menu showed "use GPS", but it never finds any satellites.
The touch screen is good, with the vibration feedback.  I liked it better than the Blackberry Storm and VX6800 that I also considered.  I was waiting for the Treo 800 (which has Windows 6.1) to come to Verizon as I liked the combined touch screen / physical keys of the Treo 700, but the Treo hasn't shown up with an available date on Verizon.
The video and still camera built into the Omnia is fairly good.  Bright light helps with both types of images.
Before having the Omnia, I didn't use texting.  The keyboard suggests words and sometimes seems to get confused.  For example, I was texting something like "I want to give you a call."  When I pressed the "i", the Omnia sometimes suggested a "T".
Rotating the display from landscape to portrait and back works fairly well, though there is a couple second delay.
If the phone is tucked away (say in your pocket), answering an incoming call...

Pros

• Good display
  • Lots of features built in
  • Seems to work as advertised
  • Good for someone looking to combine Windows PDA functionality with a telephone
  • I haven't got it to crash!

Cons

• Sometimes a bit slow (though faster than Blackberry Storm)
  • Built-in GPS is disabled (not surprising, but disappointing)
  • Limited selection for cases available from Verizon so far
  • Stylus is not internal

posted on 30 Nov 2008, 20:19

You have to insert the headset adapter....it act as the antenna.

posted on 30 Nov 2008, 16:52

Can someone please tell me how to get the damn fm transmitter going. Online it said it had one but ive been running through the manuals and havent found a thing

biff
posted on 30 Nov 2008, 15:04

the best phone i ever used

got it friday been playing with it all weekend and im so glade i did not get the storm,the omnia can do every thing the storm can and does it so much better!!!!

Pros

• camera,plays any video

Cons

• nothing