Samsung Intercept User Reviews

Text input8.7/10
Everyday usage8.2/10

Daniel
posted on 07 Dec 2010, 14:36

Daniel has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

the phone is a great starter android. especially on like virgin mobile. It makes all of the other phones look like crap since its the ONLY android. Im hoping that virginmobile will finally get smart and start adding more androids because im sure that they would be making way more money than now. I recently switched from the Virgin Mobile Rumor Touch and it was a big leap from a feature phone to an android but I am really happy with it! You should buy it! Especially if you are on virginmobile. The phone does have lagging issues but its easy to look over them. On the Rumor Touch, it would randomly restart so ill tke a little bit of lag over my phone restarting. Not having a flash has really been not much of a problem. The slide out keyboard is great if you text a lot because the touch keyboard is too tiny. I LOVE this phone and i dont know why ll of you guys are talking trash about it. Im know this isn't as good as an EVO but this also isn't a page for the EVO so stop criticizing it!

Pros

• Virgin Mobile carries it
  • Great starting android
  • First VM phone with Applications

ceomrman
posted on 16 Nov 2010, 16:20

The dumbest smart phone you'll ever use

ceomrman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This is the worst cell phone I've used since the LG Dare. It's just awful. I was excited to get a basic Android phone for a good monthly price (via Virgin Mobile) so I picked this one up at Radio Shack. The touch screen is very slow and unresponsive, the 'soft buttons' for back, home, etc work about one time in three and there's no way to tell if they will work from when you press one to when you decide five seconds that it must not have noticed you pressed it. *Every single thing* the phone does is *extremely* slow. It locks up often - several times a day since I got a week ago. It has the same CPU as the iPhone 3g, so why can't it run half as well? The worst part is that you can't sync the Samsung Intercept to a computer! Not to Windows 7, at least. I've tried everything they suggested, and I've even downloaded extra drivers and applications to try to get it to work, but it just doesn't. Google around to see the endless problems everyone else has, too.
The screen is small and hard to see, the included browser is bad, the camera, like the rest of the phone, is ULTRA slow, and my Virgin Mobile version practically screams an embarrassing "VIRGIN MOBILE!!!!" screech every time I reboot it (which is often) and of course, you can't turn it off so everyone in the lecture hall gets distracted.
An almost unbelievably poor phone.

Build quality 8/10 Feels solid
Internet 3/10 Amazingly slow
Multimedia 5/10 Worked sometimes - slow, but videos looked fine via wifi and podcasts were nice (when they worked).
Camera 6/10 Again, its SUPER slow, but it took surprisingly nice photos.
Text input 5/10 the keyboard works, though there's often a long delay from when you press the keys to when they show up on screen. The on-screen text entry is terrible.
Display 7/10 Small, but bright and pretty good.
Battery 6/10 seems fine

Pros

• Decent camera
  • removable battery
  • Available from carriers with good prices
  • good call quality and reception
  • nice keyboard
  • android 2.1
  • nice wifi

Cons

• agonizingly slow
  • locks up frequently
  • unstable

Cha7520
posted on 31 Oct 2010, 11:15 (Posts: 210; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)

Samsung Intercept= Entry Level Android

Cha7520 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

People need to keep in mind that this is an ENTRY level Android phone. So of course its not going to be as good at the Samsung Epic or the EVO, etc. I believe people who try to make the comparison rate this phone low. This is my first Android phone and now that Virgin Mobile is offering this phone for $250 on a $25, $40, and $60, I'm sure that people are coming to this phone as brand new Android users. I have had the phone for a couple of days now and I have to say I really like the phone! The only draw back I think is the way the keys are laid out on the key pad. They are positioned in a weird way, so I'm still getting use to that, but the keypad has a really nice feel and the keys are spaced out good. Another draw back is the screen resolution at 400X240 which is the lowest of any Android phone, but honestly it has more pixels than my Incognito, so for me its an upgrade and the touch screen still looks nice. This is really a nice entry level phone for someone buying their first Android phone, and now that Virgin Mobile is offering it with a no contract, pay as you go, unlimited text, data and 1,200 minutes for $40 for $25 for 300 minutes you really cannot beat that!

Build quality 8/10 The phone has a pretty good construction to it.
Reception 9/10 I always have about 3 bars.
Call quality 10/10 Call Quality is very nice! No echos, no static, etc
Internet 9/10 Internet is nice using Opera Mini 5.1
Multimedia 9/10 Its an Android 2.1...so you get a lot of multimedia on this phone.
Camera 7/10 Camera is a 3.2 Megapixel. Its okay.
UI speed 7/10 Rev 0...a little slower than 1.
Text input 8/10 The Qwerty keyboard is really nice, however the keys are positioned in weird places.
Display 6/10 The display is only 3.2" with a 400x240 Resolution.
Battery 7/10 Battery drains kind of fast.

Pros

• Qwerty Keyboard
  • GPS
  • Android 2.1 updatable to 2.2 in 2011.
  • Virgin Mobile has the phone for $250 on a $25 plan using Sprints 3G Network
  • Call Quality was very good!

Cons

• 400x240 Resolution
  • Keys are arranged a little differently than expected.

AESOP
posted on 21 Oct 2010, 04:38

android pro temp

AESOP has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

INTERCEPT should be called intermediate since it's not the worst or the best of the kind. I switched from WM6 where I had no problem keeping my apps on the SD card. Well, it ain't so with AOS. To add salt to my wounds the internal storage can add a few more apps before it all comes to a crawl. From the forums I found out that is the Achilles heel for Android. Samsung itself has no idea which info to post about the actual internal memory. I even called the support and they are clueless. I got mixed info from 1-8 gb. PA is clueless just as well. That being said I don't know how much hope is for this phone and it's peers that were built the same way. I pretty much think that this is in fact my transition phone until they solve all the hurdles with the OS.
Google should kiss the ground they walk on. Considering the flaws in the OS and unorganized implementation of apps within the OS it's a miracle anything works. Has anyone realized that iPhone still holds at least 25% of mobile market share via single provider ATT, while Android barely beats them via all the providers combined. Pathetic. And the providers are milking the consumers big time. They are pretty much introducing a new Android every day. For what? Droid phones are way overpriced for the quality they offer. For starters all Android phones should have at least 8gb of internal storage just like the iPhone to charge the same money as the iPhone. Not to mention real glass and aluminum. Apple has shot themselves in a foot by...

Internet 8/10 Nothing to write home about
Multimedia 5/10 Pathetic
Camera 5/10 I use it for geotagging
UI speed 5/10 lag, lag, lag
Display 8/10 As most of them sucks in daytime (open Sky)
Battery 2/10 Standby 300 hours my foot. You are lucky if you get 24 and thats on a good day.

Pros

• Google sync rocks

• Limited internal memory

kcassidys
posted on 28 Jul 2010, 04:47

Not bad - not and Evo or an iPhone, but not bad.

I have used an Evo for a few days, I constantly work on client's iPhones, and had a hero for a weekend to play with. I have to say, this is a nice mid-range processor - a bit faster than the Hero. Nop e- not an iPhone - not even an Evo - those processors and screens are clearly superior. But - when my old phone died an ignominious and sudden death - I didn't have the money for the Evo upgrade. So I went with this.By and large - it does most things I want it to do. It does hang occasionally - most likely the result of an inadequate processor. I think anything less than 1 GHz on an Android is going to be inadequate. I am a bit of a geek - and a  power user. I have already maxed out the phone's app memory - 2 weeks into owning it. (I didn't try too much the first week). Certain apps force close - and I have to uninstall them after a few tries - not enough processor, I think.  Or bad programmers.The Rev.0 is a mystery - it could have used the Rev.A. - a bit more speed connecting.  I run some video on it - others force close. I run music flawlessly - and the speakers are great! far more than I expected. I have played games - and was surprised how well the smaller screen size performed. I still want more screen real estate - but I am just a geek.  This is completely adequate and do-able for someone just entering the Android market - or someone who wants to be connected and organized, but isn't a power user.I have had no issues with phone quality at all.I...

Pros

• Android - 2.2 capable
  • good screen quality
  • good phone call quality
  • not too slow
  • easy to use and learn.
  • Excellent speakers
  • gets me where I'm going.

Cons

• occasional freezes
  • Rev.0
  • too slow for some apps and games

posted on 27 Jul 2010, 11:16

Was up for an upgrade, from a Palm Centro and picked this Intercept because of the Google.  Just not real user friendly especially if you want alerts for the emails and calls calling in. Goes to voice mail and does not show up as a voice mail in your call log. You have to go to voice mail to see the call log of voice mail callers.  Just extra steps which is not where anybody wants to be.  Also had a difficult time with corporate email, with my Centro I could just go and grab emails when I needed. This takes forever to refresh and finally after getting my corporate email set up, still does not alert me unless I actually have the email app open.  Jury is still out, but personally I would go back to my Centro, easy to use. Maybe will switch to Blackberry, since I do not need all the extras this phone has to offer.

MomnMotion
posted on 26 Jul 2010, 10:36

Gave Up EVO For Intercept

I had the EVO for two weeks and the phone was overkill for my needs.  I also had the nurse the battery on the EVO and in a week I was beginning to  question my logic for having an EVO.  I was satisfied with PHONEARENA's review of the Intercept and decided to give it a try.  After five days use of the Intercept, I'm home now.  I don't have to nurse the battery with the Intercept.  I don't have to disable my GPS while I'm in a weak signal area, I don't need to think about when I may need the use of a phone and not have a charger. How nice!The phone is about the size of the HERO, so it fits nicely in a lot of pockets, purses and in your hand when you're talking for long periods of time.  Did I say talking?The call quality is very good, the music downloads are fast enough (I mean once the music is loaded you're done).  I had lag with the EVO, but not as much as with the HERO.  There was some lag with the Moment and yes there's some here too.  I'm beginning to think lag is a component of Android. You work with it.  That's a lot easier, for me, to deal with than poor battery life or spotty phone coverage.The picture quality is good, eventhough it's ONLY a 3.2MPS.  The screen display is very functional.  The AMOLED is nicer if you are viewing a lot of videos on your phone, which I am not.  I took PHONEARENA's advice and downloaded the Dolphin browser and that does enhance the...

Pros

• Improved battery
  • Call quality
  • Stereo bluetooth
  • Weight
  • Physical Keyboard
  • Features
  • Will Receive FROYO
  • Cost

Cons

• No Flash on camera
  • Rev 0 instead of Rev A (It works, just tell us why you made that change)

Cara
posted on 19 Jul 2010, 23:05

Pass

I've had this phone for 5 days now. I hate it. I first had the Moment when that came out. I loved it but after a few weeks, I started having problems and just gave up on Samsung and switched to Blackberry and have had no complaints. But after seeing the Intercept, I thought I'd give Android another chance. This phone is very slow. When I try to close something like a call or my contacts list or messages, it wont. I'll press the back arrow and it wont go. I press the home key and still stuck for a minute or so. And pretty much all the news apps I've downloaded Foreclose and wont work on this phone. A lot of game apps dont fit on the screen. The one thing I really hate about it is it doesn't alert me when I get emails. I have a Gmail account set up and another seperate email account on it. I get emails constantly throughout the day, but with this phone, 1 out of 20 a day show up on an alert. I'll get on the computer and check and see all these new emails that never showed up on my phone. I've tried everything.Another thing I dont like about the phone is the keyboard. The buttons blend into the base of the keyboard. They are really hard to read and to tell the difference from keys. The Moment has a much nicer keyboard. And I hate how you have to press so many buttons to make a call. You have to go to your phone part, select the contact, and then hit call. Instead of just a one press simple thing.Only thing I liked about this phone is the screen is bright...

Pros

Cons

• battery life is low, keyboard is hard to read, not receiving incoming calls only voicemails, slow, drops calls randomly when in good reception area, had to delete 75% of the apps I downloaded because they dont work, emails not coming through

alvernochic10
posted on 19 Jul 2010, 13:24

Not so hott!

I bought the hero first, but then I figured since the hero might not get the 2.2 froyo update I might as well get the pink intercept since its new and probaly will get it, but after a week playing with it, the more I used it, the more I started to get sick of it. So I took it back and went with the hero. Thank qod for the 30 days or id been stuck with JUNK!The reasons I say its a nO gO---The resolution is SO HORRIBLE!!-The pixels suck!-I love HTC SENSE!-I hate that this phone doesnt have it--The touch sensitive buttons dont work 1/2 the time and have to press hard in order for them to work--Phone is NOT FAST, even though its sposed to have a faster processor than the moment and htc hero, and my htc hero IS WAY FASTER!!!-The screen doesnt feel as smooth as the Htc hero, and its not even as big, this screen is more narrow, and looks small!-Sometimes you cant even open up apps, bc it will open and close right away.-The battery life sucks-my hero gets more battery life--Theres barely any widgets-- i love the email and message widget on the hero, its like the htc 3d flow, I love it!!-It sucks that it doesnt have it!-But then this is samsung, you can't expect much!--The only qood thing about this phone, is the U.I is more organized, and the call buttons are bigger. I hate the black theme. The contact list is nice. The pictures are not that great!I guess if you don't care about your phone having the latest technology, then this is a qood android phone, but it...

Pros

• -User interface-
  • -droid-
  • -organized-
  • -pink-
  • -keyboard-

Cons

• -Screen resolution-
  • -touch sensitive buttons arent responsive-
  • -black theme-
  • -NOT SENSE-
  • -No flash-
  • -slow-
  • -screen is not smooth-
  • -screen is smaller-
  • -definatley NOT BRIGHT!-

Tiffany
posted on 19 Jul 2010, 12:46

1st android and happy with it

I really like this phone its my first android phone so i guess i didnt do to bad
i like the fact that it is touch screen with a keyboard...
i wish it had a flash on the camera that would make it even better takes great pics
it can be a lil slow at times but not a big deal to me
i heard a lot of bad things about this phone but im my own woman
and had to try it for my self i had this phone since the 12th and loving it
so i guess to each is there own

Pros

• touch screen and keyboard, great picture quality, clear display and full internet web pages

Cons

• no flash

jcudaback
posted on 16 Jul 2010, 12:20

Smartphone Lite - Great phone

I've been playing with it for a couple days now, and I like it!  This phone is everything that all those expensive ones have, just in a toned-down, lite version.  If you're like me and don't have 20 million contacts, business demands, and are on-the-go 100% of the time, but you want a cool smartphone that will do everything you want plus some without paying an arm and a leg, then this phone is great.

It's lightweight, has the slide out keyboard (I just can't do the touch screen keyboards), and has a big enough screen to fit everything I want without being microscopic.  The touch sensitivity is great and always seems to know what I'm tapping.  It has the virtual joystick too, so if you have your hands full you can just scroll with the joystick.  It can handle multiple apps pretty well, and is pretty easy to get the hang of right out of the box.  Battery life is surprisingly good too.  Camera is decent, but nothing too spectacular.  I was pleasantly surprised with the volume and clarity of the speaker for calls, speakerphone, and ringtones and media.

There are only a few things I can nit-pick.  The web browsing isn't quite as fast as I expected, but maybe it's just me or my signal.  Also, if you have apps running and get a phone call, it can sometimes lag in switching and make you press a button you really didn't want to press (like ignore or something).  It's not too bad, and maybe it just takes some getting used to, but...

Pros

• Lightweight, loud and clear speaker, good battery life, lefty-friendly, virtual joystick

Cons

• Can run slow at times, placement of charging port makes it awkward to use slideout keyboard while plugged in

Buy This Phone