Samsung Glyde User Reviews

kutelorainchik
posted on 14 May 2008, 12:43

5.4

My Glyde is about to Glyde Away...

I was up in the air about which phone I wanted and I chose the Glyde because I wasnt hearing alot of good things about the Voyager. I upgraded from the EnV to the Glyde and now I am starting to rethink my decision. Since I have 30 days to return the phone for something else, I am going into Verizon and exchanging this for the Voyager. I have always had LG and I dont know why I deviated from them. I dont like how complicated they made such a little phone. I am a bigger person,and I have a hard time navigating from screen to screen. At least if I had the Voyager, I have the option of opening it up and getting the screen that way. The sound quality for the Glyde is great, but there arent a lot of extras that you can add to the phone. It is VERY small, its even smaller than the EnV, and I didnt expect that. I was excited once I got my phone, but now after 2 days with it, I am ready to send it back and get another phone. Like people have said in previous posts, there is almost always a misfire when selecting a screen and too much to go through just to get to where you want to be. Although is qwerty keys are small, they are too condensed into one space. All in all, I am going to UPGRADE to a Voyager!

Decision maker
posted on 14 May 2008, 09:24

6.6

Why Glyde and not Voyager

At the same price, you get Verizon's terrible menu system. No mobile Television. Unless the size and the sliding capability is the most important thing to you. Why are you getting this again. It looks quite nice. But its not a great value.

If i was an AT&T subscriber i would choose the Vu over this.
My question is why the Glyde over the Voyager. Maybee i was looking for some huge improvement over the Voyager and really didn't see one.
Frankly I'm looking foward to seeing the Dare.

SDVOLLWEILER
posted on 13 May 2008, 20:04

Returned for ENV2

I ordered the Samsung Glyde phone with great anticipation after looking at the phone since October of last year. I have to say that the screen resolution and icons look great and the contrast is good. I was not impressed with the connectivity as far as the Mobile Web "enhanced browser" option. In fact, I had to report a trouble ticket with Verizon because I could not browse websites such as MSN, MSNBC, or Google. I did not keep the phone long enough to see if they resolved it.

For the Design, the keyboard was o.k. I did not like the fact you had to use the FN button to access numbers when the keyboard was slid out. In addition the keypad that was displayed while a call was in process had a hard time recognizing the touch - this became a problem using tone features on VM, online banking etc.

I also did not like the fact that (could be due to verizon stripping the phone) it did not come with many phone ringer options. I am the type that prefers cool electronic ringers as opposed to Pop MP3 music files downloaded from "Get it now". I think it only had a total of 6. When I went to add some ringers the only source was Sony from Get it now and I eneded up not using it.

Finally, I eneded up returning the phone because of a couple reasons. 1. I found the ENv2 felt like a more sturdy phone and was much cheaper. In addition I was afraid the touch screen interface was going to lock up or fail due to the lag in response time. I also found that I had to touch certain...

DJ C
posted on 13 May 2008, 15:58 (Posts: 8; Member since: 07 May 2008)

Real koo

I waz hoping that you could play music and text but thats ok i tried it out and it meets my needs. I dont know what people really expected from this phone.........it aint going to cuk and clean for you. The touch is really reponsive and i like the phone. As reguard the size.......phone arena said that and posted pictures of how small iit would be. Does it measure up the voyager.....yes in some cases. I agree that the voyager has Some better features but i hate the clamshell. Imma cop dis phone for real because it met my expectations which wasnt high to begin with.

Alex
posted on 13 May 2008, 01:18

SIZE MATTERS

i think its a little on the small side for those of us with big fingers. but hey, i had a treo, so ths glyde does have bigger keyes

Andrew Munoz
posted on 12 May 2008, 22:21

No YouTube, how V-tarded!

I purchased this phone for the upgraded technology: which I’m questioning. It’s been over a year since the iPhone came out and Verizon still won’t let its non-PDA phones view anything close to YouTube on there phones. I’m sorry, but if you have a phone that surfs the internet reasonably well, you should be able to watch a silly little video on a mobile web page (that’s half the fun of the internet these days and you can’t just ignore what the competition is doing).
With that said, I just don’t see how its browser is a huge advantage over the WEB 2 technology. On web 2, I could still go to web sights and look up emails; yes, not as detailed or fluid as the Glyde’s browser, but still, it could be done. I think Verizon missed the boat on this one; I guess it’s just not worth it to them if they can’t make a huge profit on the air time.

Pros:
The look and feel of the phone are both great.
The slide keyboard is smooth and easy to use
Sound quality and speakers are nice.
Nice camera
Quick web browsing for a phone.

Cons:
-You must hit 2 buttons to end a call, but I see why. The phone locks when you begin a call in order to prevent premature hang-ups from happening (like your cheek or finger accidently hitting the touch screen).
-Pretty skimpy ringtone options (I'm sure we can thank Verizon).
-Can’t watch a simple mobile internet video that’s not on Vcast and when I’ve tried, the phone reboots (totally Vtarded!).
-Touch pad can be annoying when it doesn’t recognize...

Ally
posted on 12 May 2008, 19:00

Cool Phone

I wanted a touch screen phone, but my parets didn't want me to get the Voyager, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time saving up for it. They said I could get the Glyde, though, since it was on sale. I love it. It is great and has awsome features. It also is great to show off! :) I recommend it to everyone!

Alex
posted on 12 May 2008, 18:57

It's a Great Phone...

I don't think anyone is giving this phone enough credit. It really is a great phone. I like it better than the Voyager, especially because it saved me $100. Also, it has almost teh same size screen as the Voyager, but the phone it self is much more compact. Good Job Samsung!

posted on 12 May 2008, 18:55

WOW!

I don't know why everyone hates this phone! It is truly awsome. I didn't want the bulk or price tag of the Voyager, so this is PERFECT!

posted on 12 May 2008, 18:53

GOOD!

This phone is great! Everyone seems to hate it. Well, you shouldn't have gotten your hopes up! It is a great phone. If you want a touch screen phone that isn't as big and expenside as the Voyager, you should deffinitely give the Glyde a look.

posted on 12 May 2008, 17:18

Very Decent Phone

To start off with, I've had my eyes on this phone for quite some time now and the moment I found out it was available I rushed and got it. My first thought of the phone was that it was a lot smaller than I perceived it to be. The design of the Glyde is really nice though. I love how there isn't any buttons on the front of the phone besides the home menu. The display colors and resolution is great. The sliding mechanism is very smooth when sliding the keyboard out. Also, the keyboard is fairly nice for the size of the phone, especially because I have somewhat big hands and I can still type fast. Picture quality is a lot better than expected to be for a 2mp camera and it also has a flash which is a bonus unlike the enV2 and Voyager. The sad part is, not every phone is perfect and the Glyde does fall short in some areas. For me, I text a lot, and the buttons weren't placed as if you were typing on a real keyboard or any other QWERTY keyboard I’ve seen for Verizon phones. But it has been something that I've looked past now and I’m pretty used to typing text now. The touch response is non-responsive at times which can be quite frustrating, but after pressing the home key then going back into the application you wanted it works. Sucks I know. The features and applications are pretty basic for the most part. But if you've played with any other Verizon non-Smartphone, you would realize they're all about the same. Signal strength is pretty good for the most part where I'm at. I've never...

Mike
posted on 12 May 2008, 15:16

Okay...

It deserves better reviews than it has been getting, but it really didn't at all reach its full potential. It looks pretty good, but the keyboard is too small. The interface isn't that great. Also what the heck is up with the stupid blue box on the screen?!?! LG figured out how to make the whole screen a button so the box doesn't ruin your wallpaper. What it all comes down to is biting the bullet and paying the extra money for the still king of Verizon phones: the Voyager!

astm
posted on 12 May 2008, 09:42

Good phone BUT...

...the volume isn't that loud, at least as loud as I'm used to. The caller ID announcer speaks kinda fast, too, and I'm not crazy about how it's announced. It says the type of number first and then the person's name ("Call from mobile phone, John Doe" instead of vice versa). I like to use the speakerphone a lot, especially if I'm sittin at the computer or driving in my car. I especially like when people can't tell that they are on speakerphone. I bought this phone because my V (yes, V...not the enV) is about to break down. The Glyde would be great if it wasn't for the touchscreen (which I learned to get past) and the volume. When I turned the volume all the way up while using the speakerphone, the person on the other end can hear themselves echo...something I find very annoying. It's definitely not as loud as it is on my V. Sad to say, but volume is what made me decide to return the phone. I'll give this phone a year for the kinks to be fixed.

Ken
posted on 12 May 2008, 08:30

Decent Phone

I got the phone on Friday. Had to return the first one because the top screen was really loose when the slider was out. Verizon replaced immediately.

Overall, I think the phone is decent. It definatley has some quirks, but so to did the Voyager when it first came out. Im sure nothing a firm ware update wont fix.

I totally agree about the volume of the speakers. Its pretty bad. The only setting that makes the ring tones normal is when you set it to the highest level. Seems kinda crazy to me.

As far as features (and i will preface this by saying im not a high end techie), i think they are adequate. Its not the Iphone and its not a smart phone. So comparing them to those phones is comparing apples to oranges.

As far as comparing the Voyager. The Voyager offers more (ie the mobile TV etc. and a better keyboard). However, it comes down to preference. I wanted a smaller phone that still had a full keyboard. So for me this phone works. As far as the price. I got this phone after rebate and my 100 dollars off for 99 bucks. SOO for me the value for the money was there.

And just so you all know, if you bought the phone right when it came out, it did drop 50 dollars for the red hot deals event. If you go back to Verizon with your receipt they will honor the price protection.

posted on 11 May 2008, 23:09

4.4

this phone is far by the worst ive had. for all the money its going for, it should at least have had mobile tv. the features suck, theres nothing to do with this phone except the internet and playing with that stupid rubix cube. what ever you call it. the phone unlocks in your pocket, even when you lock it! and dials numbers and contacts. it even got to the point where it unlocked, went to the internet, and changed my homepage! no lie! i hate that damn blue square that will never go away in the middle of the screen. the camera is good. and i like how you can use it like a digitial camera, the way you hold it. i know this is no iphone. but it would have been nice if they came out with the face to phone proximity sensor, because as soon as i get a call and answer it, it will end the call because my cheek touched the screen. then it will say phone locked. i tried changing the touch sensitivity. that didnt work. the user interface is boring. and i wish i never sold my chocolate2 !!! well. im going to verizon tomorrow to get the enV 2. hope that works out. hope this helped! THIS PHONE WAS NOT WORTH IT!

OH CHEAAA! I HATE HOW THE KEYBOARD IS SO DAMN SMALL!!!!!!

Jay
posted on 10 May 2008, 21:51

5.8

wow....first off it is no where as good as i thought it was going to be....as always its "watered down" because of Verizon. Verizon finds new ways to make good Samsung phones into crap. It feels very very cheap, and feels like it'll break on you very quickly...as far as sound quality and features, its mediocre at best, nothing outstanding..

Tech Maks
posted on 10 May 2008, 15:34

Love it or hate it?

All in all the glyde is alright!! I just got it last night. Good thing that Verizon has a 30 day test drive policy. I love everything about the phone except the softness of the audio. It doesn't come close to my voyager. When I first played with the phone, I guess the store was really quiet and the phone did sound pretty loud at the time. I left the store and loaded the phone up with custom ringtones. The audio is soooooo soft. Good thing the phone has vibe because I cant hear it when it rings. When watching a video I have to put the phone next to my ear to even hear whats going on... But all in all I really like the touch screen and all the features..Like the size of the phone. Its not too big n not too small..Easy to text and type on it.. Softness is killing me.. Maybe I just need a hearing aid...

Kristina
posted on 10 May 2008, 14:16

LOVE IT!

its small and sleek. i wanted the enV last year, but this is 100x better. to the person who said no zoom. it does in fact have zoom. i opened it and loved the size. its so amazing. yes the touch may be a little unresponsive but nothing is perfect. other than that i suggest to people to get it. it is an amazing little thing.

Nik_for_AEO
posted on 10 May 2008, 11:56

3.4

dont buy it

i looked at this phone. $50 cheaper than the voyager- 100% worse than the voyager. buttons are really hard to click, and it's a bit small- i ordered a case for my un opened voyager, which was a leather one for $200, and since i sold my voyager, i thought the case would fit this phone and im wrong for opening it up. i have this phone, since i thought "it was the iphone killer", but nope. i should return it, but verizon only lets me in 3 months! i have to bare with this phone with a plastic keyboard and small options. i hate it. dont buy it.

VZW GIRL
posted on 10 May 2008, 08:59

Smaller than expected

This is definately a GREAT PHONE! How ever when I got th chance to actucally touch the phone it was a lot smaller than I thought. I thought it would be the same size as the XV6800. Other than the size of the phone I definately recommend this phone to anyone... Fyi I dont think people should buy it if you have big fingers!!!

Michael Vacirca
posted on 10 May 2008, 03:45

Samsung Glyde Review

This little critter definitely has good potential. It's a sleek design and is really easy to get the hold of. The color display on the screen display a gorgeous contrast and are bright and vivid! The Glyde has that perfectly sized, slide down, qwerty keypad as promised and it really is perfect!. The Samsung Glyde has a beautiful display and is especially ergonomic overall. The front screen acts as a desktop/ screen saver, that you can actually influence by touch (Even play with a rubiks cube!). The Navigation through menus on the Glyde are/or seem to be much different than expected from Verizon. It's clean cut and perfectly geared for them high-tech junkies. Thus far everything is perfect. Where The Samsung Glyde falls short, is on programming. Sometimes navigating may be sticky or sluggish which defeats the purpose of the name Glyde (sorry, that was harsh). I was expecting more of a seamless navigation and the system to be a bit more fluid. The actual touch response sometimes is non-responsive based on your selection of target. The programming sometimes wont respond when you select your desired feature. You, sometimes, may need to try and select it multiple times before you even get a response, and thats regardless of sensitivity. This happens mostly during navigation online. The sound is fine, and the camera could use a zoom (unless i've overlooked that) Lastly, the features are pretty basic. For signal, Verizon is verizon so, trying to use Verizon's wireless mobile web...