Samsung Glyde User Reviews

Frustrated with the Glyde
posted on 21 Aug 2008, 12:01

Glyde Causes Turmoil!

I purchased this phone back in June and loved it. The only thing that I had a problem with was the way the phone unlocks the screen. I find that too many times it unlocks in my pocket. At any rate, after about a month of use, the phone started acting up. Menus would scroll up and down by themselves, or when I would press a button at the top of the touchscreen, a button at the bottom would highlight and select that option. I've called numerous people from my pocket. Basically, the phone just started to errode away in quality. I swapped it out for another Glyde at the Verizon store about a month after initially purchasing it. I think they gave me a refurbed one because it did not come in the initial box. I was happy with that phone too, for about a month. Then all hell broke loose. The phone started doing all the old things that it did with my initial one. It even started turning off at random times. Bare in mind too that I am extremely careful with my phone. I have never dropped it, or ran it into something while it was in my pocket. Being a Palm Treo user in the past, the touchscreen was becoming unusable and unacceptable. When I went to Verizon to get the heralded software update, the gentleman at the entrance told me that the touchscreen phones are very fragile and that if I buy a belt clip, none of this would've happened. BULLS*!T. I never had a case for my Palm and for two years, that phone never effed up. So what they are telling me is that the phone is...

JimmyL Seattle
posted on 15 Aug 2008, 23:18

Glyde is JUNK

OK, I finally purchased a Samsung Glyde. WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE! I hope that most americans do not experience this touch screen travesty. I also own an Ipod Touch and there is no comparison to even that touch system. I am glad that VZW has the worry free program so i can return it and wait for something better. Again with Verizon that will be a while until they embrace the open access phones.

posted on 12 Aug 2008, 20:13

Glyde update available from Verizon Wireless stores! Improves touchscreen!'
Yes we all know the touch screen is ignorant sometimes but its a beautiful little phone and its just great all around. The touchscreen has been improved with the firmware update so now the fone is virtually perfect. Iphone and voyager are both overated. Well the iphone does have its outstanding feastures but ud take this little baby over it.
NEW FIRMWARE HAS YOUTUBE SUPPORT

Mike
posted on 12 Aug 2008, 13:31

Samsung Glyde

So today i bought the glyde with the new updated software and i must say it is spectacular. I rarely have to touch things twice for them to work the kepboard is great, screen is bright, ui is not bad, call quality is fine to good, speaker phone is very good and battery life is good. So if the reviews saying the touch screen were bad was making you not get this phone try it out with the new software then make your decision.

blur
posted on 03 Aug 2008, 22:46

good job

i like this phone its the best fonr ive ever had the service is good to me touch screen could do with a lil bit of work but the phone works the way its suppose to ive had it for about one month it fun to play with and keyborad fit my hands nicley overall the phone is cool

Upset
posted on 02 Aug 2008, 18:18

5.8

problems

This phone is by far one of the worst phones I have had. I tried it out in the store and it was great. Once I got home and had it for a week or 2, the touch screen wouldn't work correctly. I touched one command and it did a whole different command. I brought the phone in, they gave me another one. I thought okay fair deal. The 2nd phone did the same exact thing and kept freezing up! Therefore, I brought in the 2nd phone and they gave me a third one. Once again of the same kind! 3 phones in less than 2 months....what is wrong with that? The third phone I have now (all of them were the Glyde), is just as bad and then some. The touch screen doesn't respond correctly and at times doesnt respond at all. The music player was playing after I exited it and officially closed it out. The song would not stop playing no matter what I did. Then not too long after the screen froze when I was charging the phone. I tried turning it off but it didn't go off so I had to take the battery out. Most phones if not ALL PHONES turn off when you take the battery out. The screen still stayed frozen WHILE the battery WAS OUT! This phone is definately one of the worst out there! It's not worth it. If all touch screens are like this, I'm going back to a basic phone because this is ridiculous! When I go to send a message ir won't even let me send it because instead of it letting me hit reply or send, it goes to options or contacts. Someone needs to fix this!!!

Sufcc
posted on 29 Jul 2008, 09:30

Glyde Software updated

Samsung has developed a new software version to improve the touchpad performance and other enhancements. Wait a week until most retailers have the newer version and feel free to try it out.

Tmonkey
posted on 26 Jul 2008, 10:39

GLYDE NUMBER #1

Yes the touch screen isn't the best, but the keyboard rocks and the internet is acceptable. If your a kid or a teen in a school that's lacking good sercurity like me, then this low profile but high tech phone is the one for you.

posted on 22 Jul 2008, 08:40

crap

this phone sucks ass. the touch screen is horrible and clicks things you don't want to click. sometimes it vibrates all on it's own. i adjust the screen sensitivity, and it still does the same crap. gets stuck on screens, and won't let you advance. clicks stuff by it's self and send you were you don't want to be. i paid 200 bucks for this POS, and re upped with verizon for 2 years because I thought it was a good phone.

i was told first that i was stuck with it because my 30 days had gone by. then i was given a number and verizon is gonna send me a "refurbished" replacement.

i've been a verizon customer for around 10 years, but after this fiasco, if the "new" glyde doesn't work any better, i have half a mind to file a class action law suit.

adam
posted on 21 Jul 2008, 16:39

5.8

idk

this phone stops working randomly bad phone dont buy it waste of money. my brother just got the dare it is so much better than this the only good about this phone is the keyboard.

Tony
posted on 21 Jul 2008, 15:14

6.4

Not all its cracked up to be....

Hey there people. I purchased the Glyde as soon as it hit the shelves based upon the reviews and stuff from this site and youtube. i should have waited till some other sapp bought it and tried theirs. dont make the same mistake. nothing compares to the touch quality of the iphone. u may not care but when u need the glyde to work at an important time, it chooses to act up. where ever i touch, it clicks something else, or does nothing. It is not that great. the best part is the internet which has a touch and full keyboard, unlike voyager which is not touch screen when u open it.
i just got off the phone with verizon and heard the bad news that i cant get another phone without paying full price. im so mad i got it. i miss the real buttons of a phone. i miss a phone that does what u ask it to do. it looks nice and all my friends want it but i dotn have the heart to lie and say its a good phone. i have told numerous people to get soemthing else. this is my second Samsung and they both stunk!! I wouldnt recommend another Samsung. I do however have a 50" Samsung plasma tv which is AMAZING.
Stick to tv's Samsung!!

OK lets wrap it up...

PROS- Not many

Cons- too many to list!

DO the MATH!!! get something else

Alfonso
posted on 15 Jul 2008, 18:42

3.4

phone is wack

Ok I had this phone for a month exactly before I found out about the 30 day satisfaction guarantee verizon has and immediately traded it in. I'll start off with the good, itll be a lot quicker than the bad. The display looks really nice and i was very impressed with the camera. It ends there.
The bad: first of all, the battery is awful. My lg vx8100 lasted longer even after i had it for 2 and a half years. My second biggest complaint was the fact that to unlock the screen, all you have to do is touch the lock that appears. This is a mind bogglingly dumb feature. I made at least 3 accidental calls and wasted who knows how many minutes browsing the web...all inside my pocket. awesome. turns out all the touch phones are like which is why i swapped mine in for a good old flip.
Next, The keyboard is crunched (this is coming from someone with small fingers) and your thumb always hits the edge of the phone when trying to use the top row cuz there's just no room. You also have to use the Fn key (kinda like shift) a lot cuz they packed everything into only 3 rows of keys which gets tedious.
The touch screen was a little finicky, meaning it didnt always pick what i wanted and sometimes it thought i was still touching it even when i wasn't. However, i found the glyde to be one of the best so again, touch just ain't for me.
I didn't like the way there is a main menu icon and also a shortcuts menu icon both on the home screen. this was clearly designed for ease of use but in my opinion it...

DJ C
posted on 03 Jul 2008, 15:23 (Posts: 8; Member since: 07 May 2008)

3.8

Idk whch gylde yall have bt it cant b the same one i have.......dis one is GARBAGE!!!

People......you all probly kno me frm all the comments ive posted about this fone n im here postn this comment frm the glyde to tell u all srry for the misleadn comments........this fone is a piece of crap rite under the chocolate 2 omg i hate this fone rite nw n im waitn on my third one as im speaking and since i got it frm a third party vender i have to go through three n 90 days so im hopen that this third and extra emphasis on 3RD.....is better n if nt then im gettn the voyager evn tho i dnt lke the clamshell or how the touchscreen feels......i dnt nd the stress especially spndn dis much on a phone....da only thng dat i lke it how the touch screen feels and it slidn. The camera sux if u go n2 ur artist u better nt misspell da persns name or it will freeze den restart so word of advice ppl.......DNT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP UNLESS U R FOR SURE THAT EITHER SAMSUNG OR VERIZON HAS FIXD IT PROBLEMS WHCH IS ABOUT EVERYTHNG!!!!!

David
posted on 02 Jul 2008, 07:20

Faulty Touch Screen

This phone is the most annoying with the touch screen. I press it and it vibrates to let me know I touched it and then nothing happens. It even shows light behind where I touched it to show I touched it. Still nothing. I press button on average 3 times before it does anything.

I found out patience is best with this phone I timed it if you wait 3 seconds between each touch of the screen it works. But, who wants to wait 3 seconds every time you touch the screen. I found this is due to the screen locking up. I tried rebooting and battery removal no better.

I do love the look and style of this phone but, as another stated that is about all it has going for it. Also, the speaker does suck while on phone good while playing music.

I do enjoy the use of the web on this after getting used to it. You have to use the keyboard arrow keys. A stylus is what this really needs. BTW I love the slide out keyboard it is the best I have ever used! This is cool no matter what others say.

Exchanging mine for the LG on the 3rd. Verizon should not have put this phone out yet. I think they snookered people into this phone and put it out so early because of the LG. They had to sell it after so much money in development before the LG was out or people would have skipped this phone to the LG. Smart on them but, screwed us over who bought it.

Also poor signal strength.

Eric
posted on 30 Jun 2008, 23:14

Crazy Phone

I had the phone for 32 days and it decided to go crazy and hit whatever item on the touch screen was closest to the home button. It did this regardless of where I touched or if I didn't touch the phone at all. Luckily verizon let me trade it in and gave me a 2 week extension on my 30 day return period so the glyde will be going back as soon as the Dare hits stores.

Eric S
posted on 30 Jun 2008, 21:40

Not Great

I had gotten the Samsung Glyde as a present for my birthday. I was so psyched to have it, but there are so many problems. The touch screen is utterly annoying, since it does not always respond. the keys are small, and minimally raised. Also, the keys are arranged in straight columns, not scattered like a typical qwerty keyboard, as in the voyager. Speakerphone and Music quality is great, but the actual phone speaker is hard to hear. ****Two days after purchasing this phone, i started realizing that it would randomly shut off, with a full battery.it would often do this, up to 15 times a day. I returned to the store to exchange it for a new one, and had the same problem. this happened FIVE TIMES IN ONE WEEK. This same problem happened with my teachers', neighbor's, and brother's glyde. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PHONE.***** I got the voyager and am very happy with it.

Keith
posted on 27 Jun 2008, 00:03

5.2

Eh.....another stinker from Samsung

This phone gets returned all the time and the biggest complaint we get is the lack of responce from the touch display. The phone is small compaired to the Voyager and the keyboard is targeted towards those with small hands. I do like the look of this unit, but thats pretty much all it has going for it.

Overall, i would look at different phones that VZW has to offer. The Glyde is a big disappointment and you can get other phones which will give you more bang for your buck.

Andrew
posted on 24 Jun 2008, 18:49

Samsung Glyde!

Now I must say looking at the commercial for this phone made me want it more and more. My phone contract was up and I swore to myself I would never ever get a Motorola AGAIN! The commercial boasts that it has a fully functional touch screen, a slide out keyboard, and so many other great features. Needless to say I bought into the advertising and bought the phone. I will put the BOTTOM LINE up first because that is what most people will want o hear:

THE BOTTOM LINE:
I wanted this phone so badly and it turned out to be a disappointment! I returned it already and went back to a Motorola after I swore that they made the worst phones in the WORLD! Do not get this phone, the touch screen is unresponsive (and yes I put the sesitivity on high which only led to furhter problems which you will be able to see further in my review), there is no SEND or END key which can get quite tedious and overall the phones keyboard is a little to small. Now I did all my research and read countless reviews, I thought people were just kidding but no this phone really is the worst, this is the 1st phone I have ever had to return in my life!

THE BAD:
-When I first got the phone I noticed a few quirks about it like the touch screen buttons not working, even with the touch screen sensitivity on high, and the loss of a send and end key. I let it go, thinking it wouldn't bother me that much, I mean the phone is so cool looking and it has a slide out keyboard! However, I must say that having no send OR end key...

John
posted on 22 Jun 2008, 14:42

just got it

I just got this phone.. my grandma said she buy me a phone... the phone i had at the moment was the chocolate(one of the first versions) so anything was better then this. best thing i saw was the gylde, the voyager felt like a brick to me... but now im wondering if i should get the pda, the xv6900..... it was between these 2... but you cant look at youtube videos or listen to music on websites with the glyde.... can you do that with the 6900.... if anyone knows this, can you email me or message me on AIM at "raspyfl0w" thank you...

other then that. the phone isnt nothing special but its a good phone... nothing compared to iphone, but it does the things its asked.. touch screen may be a little 2 small.. but im getting used to all the features now.

also if i wanted to trade this phone for the pda... so i just take it back and pay the difference?

josue
posted on 21 Jun 2008, 18:40

worst ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it sucks

its the worst phone ever , it was tinier than what i escpected to be and a its real junk the key board cheap the buttons get stuck all the time if any thing get the samsung Instinct its awsome the best ever!!!!!

VZW-PHONEBOY88
posted on 20 Jun 2008, 10:08

4.4

HORRIBLE DEVICE

I GOT THE PHONE AT 10AM REPLACED IT BY NOON

PROS:

VIBRANT COLORS
GOOD LOOKING USER INTERFACE
DATA SPEEDS, INCLUDING TEXT, AND CALLS
SOUND QUALITY IS GOOD

CONS:

THE TOUCH SCREEN ON THE PHONE DOESN'T RESPOND WELL TO TOUCH
THE SCREEN HAS NO EXTERNAL WAY TO END THE CALL BESIDES THE HOME BUTTON WHICH REACTS IN WHICH EVER WAY IT FEELS IT SHOULD
THE KEYBOARD HAS NO DIRECTIONAL PAD OR WAY TO SELECT ITEMS ON SCREEN
THE CAMERA IS HORRIBLE, BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PICTURE, THE QUALITY ON SCREEN IS GRAINY AND UNCLEAR, AND AFTER YOU TAKE THE PHOTO ITS NOT ANY BETTER
THE PHONE WILL SOME TIMES RESPOND TO THINGS WHEN IM NOT TOUCHING IT. FOR EXAMPLE I WAS WATCHING TV AND I NOTICE MY PHONE DECIDED TO DIAL A NUMBER, OR IT SITTING ON THE TABLE AND THE VOLUME SETTINGS DECIDE TO ADJUST THEMSELVES
CANNOT ADJUST THE RING STYLE FROM THE ASCENDING RING

OVERALL THIS PHONE IS SUPPOSED TO SIMULATE THE IPHONE(LIKE MOST TOUCH PHONES, AND HAS DONE THE WORST JOB DOING SO. IF YOU HAVE VERIZON AND WOULD LIKE A TOUCH PHOPNE THE VOYAGER, VENUS, PDAS OR THE LG DARE WHICH GOES ON SALE NEXT WEEK WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET. BEFORE YOU BUY A PHONE BE SURE AND GO TO THE STORE AND TRY THE PHONE OUT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

DONT BUY THE SAMSUNG GLYDE THE SAME DAY I BOUT THE PHONE I HAVE TO RETURN IT.

hoping for a fix
posted on 18 Jun 2008, 13:54

Good phone with problems

I got this phone a few weeks ago because i was tired of the boring old flip phones. I wanted something with a keyboard for texting (which i do a lot of) that was still small. The main thing that turned me away from the voyager was that it was just a little bit too big for me. I was used to the razr in my pocket so when i felt the voayager it felt like a brick.

I read a little bit about this phone before i got it and noticed a lot of people were saying how the touch screen has issues. I decided to try it anyways after playing with it a little at the verizon store. After having this phone for over two weeks now i can safely agree with those people about the touch screen problem. Around the edges especially, you may have to hit it a few times for it to respond, which didnt really bother me at all (but for some people i could see this being a big issue). Also sometimes especially in menus where things are really bunched up you may hit something you didnt mean to hit, which can be annoying at times. I have pretty skinny fingers too so thats not the issue.

Another problem i have is with calling. You call someone and immediately your phone locks up and you have to hit 2 buttons to end a call. That wouldnt be a problem if the touch screen was 100%. Because there have been times where i called someone i didnt mean to which ended up in me not being able to end it quickly enough before it went through...that wasnt fun.

I never had an issue with the phone getting unlocked in my...

Tyler
posted on 17 Jun 2008, 18:10

I like it !!!!!

Its one of the best phones i used so far!! way better then that sucky krzr. All the others said the touch screen is a littel suckish. But i like it mabye you just all have FAT FINGERS!!! I also know that it dosent have moble TV... But who cares its not like your going to use it. if you do thats kinda stupid. Just go sit on your couch and GO WATCH YOUR SPONGEBOB !!! But there is one thing that bothers me is the soud(who cares if i spelled that wrong). Its all on the left side , but it souds like any other phone. NO offence to the voyeger lovers but i think it suck!! I mean i cant even get to the text messeg. Sry but it suck.. the glyde has a small key board but it works fine. its hard for me on the voyeger.... I DONT KNOW WHY IT JUST IS!!! Its cheap tooooooooo

Glyde ruls

shawn
posted on 14 Jun 2008, 03:22

1.2

DONT BUY THIS PHONE

wow i bought this phone and returned it only about 2 weeks after i got it
1. the qwerty keyboard is way too straight. it's very uncomfortable for ur fingers to type.
2. the TOUCHSCREEN (like everyone else said) SUCKS! i have an ipod touch and it has waaaaaay better functioning. this phone doesn't even respond 80-90% of the time i touch it. it takes nearly 5 minutes to send a text message saying "yes" and usually u just give up. It is also hard to search for contacts.
3. the lighting is way off. when outdoors, you can barely see the screen because of the glare.
4. back to touchscreen; sometimes when u try to select something it chooses something else.

okay my point is don't buy this phone. even if they're trying to sell it to u for 20 bux. (its actually 300) i'd rather have a motorola razr with no features than this piece of shit.

reglvr
posted on 13 Jun 2008, 16:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)

nnnaaaaa :(

I think that the glyde is an average excuse for a phone.it iiiss smalll and the buttons are hard to get because of this.but , the keyboard probably makes up for this, i guess. this is not the phone for me though. I WANT THE INSTINCT!!!