Samsung Glyde User Reviews

posted on 25 May 2009, 21:29

frustratng

Thsi phone looks real sweet but it has so many glitches. First. it calls about 4 random people atleast each day. Then the battery is so bad that it will be fully charged and i might turn it off at school and after school it will be dead or have like 1 or 2 bars. then it will sometimes the touch screen wont respond when you press send message or it will hit the wrong one. Finally it makes me want buy a ringtone the screen never responds unless you touch it like 60 times. I've counted.

posted on 04 May 2009, 18:51

UGH!

I've had this phone for about 6 months now. Worst 6 months of my life. I was so excited with the design and idea of this phone. And when I bought it, it seemed to work fine. A month went by and the glitches started. The touch screen is dreadful. Especially on low battery. I can't even function without the keyboard because texting and even calls are impossible with the touch screen. The update helped with the precision of the screen to a POINT. But it's still frustrating. My battery only lasts me for the day, so I can't even leave the house without my charger. You have to press the screen with your fingertip because it's not sensitive enough to press with your nail like the DARE was. But the keyboard is nice, and perfectly sized, though adding special characters takes a little extra effort. Over all, this phone is not worth your trouble. Invest in an LG DARE. All of my friends love it.

I HATE THE GLYDE!!!
posted on 27 Apr 2009, 12:57

Heavenly appearance, satanic phone

well lets see where do i begin.  i honestly somewhat like this phone but at the same time i am currently trying to find a new phone to replace it.  i bought this bc my cousin had it and i used it a few times and i really liked the keyboard and the touch but now since i own it, it is just terrible.  The touch always messes up, you press one thing but it always hits the 'back' or the bottom where all the icons are when ur at the main screen.  overall design nice everything else BAD.  i highly recommend that anyone looking at this phone to buy, not to buy, u will thank me and all the other people that have to go through with this phone.  *oh just remembered it calls people in your pocket and if u have a really obsessive gf dont get bc im sure ur gonna have other girls in ur phonebook and it will call them then u will get in trouble like i did*

Pros

• design

Cons

• everything else
  • lock button and a higher performance touch screen i think would solve all of the problems

souleater93
posted on 15 Apr 2009, 18:05 (Posts: 86; Member since: 20 Mar 2009)

better than the dare!

i tried this phone out while getting my third and fourth dare in the same day but @ different stores. the glyde version 2 touchscreen was faster than the dares and was bigger than version 1. then the second had the first and it was slow and bad yet i really like the new one its bigger and new hardware and software which makes it better than the dare. i most likely will pay full price for the samsung glyde version 2. i used the phone for about 20 minutes at the store and i have used a friends and it was better than the dare

Pros

• almost everything

Cons

• the full retail price

posted on 12 Apr 2009, 19:50

worst phone ever...

i researched this phone before i got it, and i thought it was perfect. it was touchscreen, with a qwerty keyboard. but the touchscreen is VERY bad, its not like how LG makes it, where you can even use your nails since the touchscreens they make are sensitive. samsung did not impress me with this phone, i always have to rub the screen because of the oil from touching it. the oil keeps the touch screen from working but its a touch screen, it shouldnt have problems like that. samsung needs to open their eyes and make a phone that isnt a piss off. as for verizon, i dont know why they're still selling them. the new software is good, but right after i got my phone updated with the new software it broke into two pieces. not only is the software not that great, but its breaks easily. i also know many other people with the same phone and theyve complained about it too and some of theirs broke like mine, into two pieces. DO NOT GET THIS PHONE YOU WILL REGRET IT LIKE I DID.

Pros

• it has a nice design, and pretty good quality camera.

Cons

• the camera lags a lot when it takes pictures and the touch screen is of poor quality. getting to the menu or even opening a picture takes at least two seconds to load.

v
posted on 09 Apr 2009, 10:36

Lovin' My GLYDE!!!!!!

I got this thing in November of '08, along with the universal PDA pouch, 2GB memory card, car charger, and screen portectors. I like it, but I have to touch right where it wants me to in order to get the touchb screen to work right. It's small, fits in my pocket, is easy to use, and I hardly know its there. I have BIG fingers for a teen, and they fit right on the QWERTY keypad. In short, I love my phone, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an effective phone with LOTS of features! XD

Pros

• Everything about it.

Cons

• None that I can think of, but we'll see in a year XD

rob2599
posted on 28 Mar 2009, 18:40 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Mar 2009)

2.7

samsung from hell

this was by far the crappiest phone in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dont buy it. it works fine for the first few days.....but give it a while, you'll be running it over with your truck like i did. the touch screen mechanism is the worst..... vzw better look out cuz they have some issues coming there way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• the design

Cons

• i could go on and on.
  • 1. u cant bluetooth ringtones
  • 2. the touch screen is horrible. i touch on thing and it brings me to something else
  • 3. everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

morgan silvestri
posted on 18 Mar 2009, 18:38

i love this thing

im 11 and i have been talking about this phone all day! i luv it soo much its like my life and and i am on it all day!! i have never had any probloms wiht it at all like pressing the wrong button and having to go back or having it break!! i love this thing sooo much and i would recommennd it 100%

Misty
posted on 13 Mar 2009, 23:11

2.3

Don't Buy This Phone

I was so excited when I got this phone, but it didn't take long to be disappointed. The main issue is the touch screen--it just simply doesn't work. As others have noted, often you touch one menu item and it takes to you to another, which means navigating is a complete pain because you keep having to go back to the home page and try again. You can set the phone so it vibrates when you touch a button on the screen (to give you a tactile response in absence of true buttons), but half the time you hit a button, it would vibrate, so you know you touched it with enough pressure, but the phone would not do anything. I would end up hitting a menu button five or six times to get it to open the menu. I ended up using the QWERTY keyboard 99 percent of the time. But even doing that couldn't help me avoid one of the most annoying problems with the touch screen--the speaker phone "button" on the touchscreen was in the upper right corner of the screen whenever you are on a call--which I quickly learned is the spot on the screen your cheek is MOST likely to brush against, resulting in many times being midcall when all of a sudden I had the effect of someone screaming in my ear because I'd accidentally turned on the speaker phone.
It's a shame the touch screen isn't better engineered, because the phone has a lot of nice features, it's nice and compact and would otherwise be a good phone. But that one huge flaw overwhelmed the rest. I took it back and had service put back on my trust old...

• Look

Cons

• Touchscreen

posted on 12 Mar 2009, 23:27

I have had this phone since May of 2008. It is the worst phone I have ever used. As others have said, the touchscreen works about 10% of the time if your lucky. I have had so many dropped calls on this piece of crap that I can't even count that high. Texting is near impossible, trying to call someone is a joke. Dropping this phone will automatically open the back and spilling out the battery onto the floor. I cannot convince my parents to let me get a new one, even though I have intentionally tried to lose it. I am going to the store next week to switch back to my RAZR. Yeah, it's that bad.

PokeFanaticJosh
posted on 09 Mar 2009, 14:07 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)

Absolute Worst Phone I've Ever Used

When I originally saw the concept for the Samsung Glyde, I waas really excited.  I received the phone in August, by November I had five of them.  Every single one of them would shut down when receiving text messages.  I was very disappointed in the quality of the hardware itself also.  If dropped once, the phone would get little "dinks" in it, and with my LG Voyager, I dropped it many times and it never even looked scratched.  The one positive thing I do have about this phone was the interactive wallpapers, they are an awesome concept, but the terrible touch screen basically ruined it.  This phone is on no  level compared to phones such as the LG Versa.  Even the software ran slow, and it had a terrible design, for it  had near 8 menus.

Pros

• Interactive wallpapers
  • Pretty Color

Cons

• Touch Screen
  • Music Player sounded horrible
  • Menu design
  • Texting on touch screen is glitchy
  • Texting on qwerty is too difficult
  • Phone was made of horrible plastic.

usadave04
posted on 16 Feb 2009, 20:43 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Feb 2009)

Phone Is good In theory, But needs tweaks.

I got this phone when it first came out and have had it for several months now. I origanally got this phone for all the cool features it has and I did'nt have to have the data plan on this one, but it has turned out to be a real pain. If it wernt for the side full quarty board I dont think I could use it. The problem with this phone is that the touch screen is absolutly awful, you touch one spot and it responds in a completly differant spot, that is if it even decides to repond at all. Like I said if it wernt for the keypad I couldnt use it. It can be so frustraighting at times. I still do like all the features on the phone so I guess in retrospect the phone still does everything I got it for I will just have to suffer through till I can upgrade sucks though I paid like almost 200 when I got it. I would sugest a differant phone until the touch screen issue is repaired. Other than the touch screen thing though its a great phone. The only other thing I would criticize is when your in the music player you cant exit to other applications on the phone and still have the music play. Also the callender limits you you can only imput so much before it blocks you from entering anymore even with a expantion card in. The Screen has a habit of scratching easily. Camera also is extremly slow and has no zoom. The Phone definatly has a learning curve to it and can be frustraighting that it has no send and end key.

Pros

• quarty keyboard
  • screen layout
  • ease of use

Cons

• touch screen
  • callender
  • music player
  • no send and end key

posted on 15 Feb 2009, 17:03

Worst Phone

this is the worst phone ever imaginable! i had it wit the first soft ware and the touch screen was horrible i had to push buttons multiple times  adn when i would it might not even do what i wanted it would do something completely different! then i got the new current sofware it did not change the  problem it just made it look better the only goodt hing i would say this had was a good camera

Pros

• good camera
  • qwerty keyboard

Cons

• everything else

posted on 06 Feb 2009, 12:03

I hate this phone!  I wish that I had not gotten it.  It looks cool and has tons of great features but it doesn't work!  Similar to the other person it just starts acting weird and going all other the menus when I am not even touching it.  I have to been able to use it correctly for two days now because it hasn't been working.  I turn it off, remove the battery...pretty much whatever I can think of and it still acts up.  The touch screen is horrible.  I've only had the thing for 7 months and it was OK at first.  I am going to Verizon tomorrow and getting a new one...probably going back to an LG.  Their phones have never caused me problems!

Pros

• The idea of the phone

Cons

• The reality of the actual phone

posted on 19 Jan 2009, 11:01

I was very lucky yesterday when my friend spilled his drink accidentally onto my pants and the wetness that got onto the Glyde didnt trigger the water sensor or damage the phone. Good thinking, Samsung!

jbuddy
posted on 08 Jan 2009, 19:31

eh..

this phone looks and feels great but at the same time, it is very aggrivating and a pain in the a**..touch screen has to be better. seriously, sensativity is awful. shld havve been like LG's touch screen. pressurized instead of electricity in your fingertips. by not even putting my fingers an inch close to the screen, the phone starts acting up. your fingers isn't even on the screen but an icon would be pressed. i went from a dare to this phone and the touch screen sucks worser than the dare.  the keyboard is a little difficult to use but after awhile, you should be okay with it. everything goes through the touchscreen. using the HTML browser, dude it is a friggn pain in the a**.   and also sometimes when i have the phone on my holster or in my pockets after locking it, couple minutes later when i pull it out, it's calling someone or my web broswer is activated. some weird crap going on. like the verizon commercial they had for it. battery life sucks..bar's keep going lower and lower. i was always a LG phone guy and im sticcking with LGs

Pros

• design layout
  • sliding mechanism

Cons

• touch screen
  • icon layouts
  • NOT AN LG PHONE.

Janae253
posted on 03 Jan 2009, 10:36 (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Jan 2009)

GET THE UPADTE FOR THE PHONE AND YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE AGAIN

Get the update for the phone you must have the 06 update it really work you will fall back in love with your phone after the update trust me from someone who works at verizon.

Pros

• update rocks!!

yea
posted on 31 Dec 2008, 01:59

Update on the phone works!

I got this phone the first week it came out in May and i paid full price for it. For the first 2 weeks or so, it worked fine. But after that everything went from chaos to worse. It started calling people at night by itself when it was charging, took me at least 10 minutes to send a text message because the touch screen wasn't responsive, always clicked everything by itself, and later i had enough patience with it and went to Verizon recently. At this point i wanted to burn my phone and break it. After Verizon checked out my phone, they replaced it with one that had the latest update on it but not the newest one that was suppose to come out the following week. IT WORKED! All the touch screen buttons were working perfectly and i had no more trouble with anything. This proved to me that the update on the phone actually fixed everything! Other than the problems i had with it in the beginning it really is a great phone!

Pros

• size
  • touch screen
  • full keypad
  • music

Cons

• nothing really

posted on 29 Dec 2008, 10:33

I just got my Glyde a month ago. I love this phone. It was $99.99 at the Verizon store. I will be getting it for $49.99 when I send in my mail-in rebates. The touchscreen is very easy to use, unlike the screen on my iPod Touch, which takes a couple of presses to get to the menu I want. I have gotten used to the scrolling on the touchscreen over this past month. I still use the directional scroll buttons on the QWERTY though. Dialing is easy, but I don't like that the unlock button on the touchscreen is always visible in the middle of the Home screen. I can get over this annoyance. Phone is very small, fits in my pocket. Just got a PDA pouch (which fits it perfectly) and screen protectors for Christmas, and they really deck out my phone! I had a Chocolate, and was not satisfied with it, but the Glyde overpowers it sufficiently!!!!!! Thanks Samsung and Verizon!!!!!!!

Pros

• too many to tell about here :)

Cons

• read above :)

posted on 12 Dec 2008, 10:56

A VERY misunderstood phone

first, i didn't read all 101 reviews so not sure if this stuff has been stated or not, but i will state some little known facts. first, the touch screen is HEAT SENSETIVE !!  it's not a pressure touch like the LG models, and most other touch screen phones.  So all you pocket phone people are going to have problems as the phone heats up to the activation temp it's going to do some crazy stuff. second, being a heat activated touch, the higher the sensitivity actually makes the problem WORSE !! the higher that is, the less heat it takes to activate the touch screen. second, yes you can not  zoom in on the default camera setting , but u CAN on the lower camera setting !!  just change the resolution for zoom.
overall, i've owned this phone since the web launch in april, and it's not a bad phone.  I've had far less problems than any other customer that come into the store, but i also keep my phone in a pouch, not my pocket where it heats up, and i use a blue tooth for calling and answering calls, so i don't have to go through contacted or even touch the phone for that aspect.  imho, if samsung comes up with a way to keep the calibration of the touch screen from going out, or adds a user interface calibration like the voyager, it'd be a great phone.  but for now, it's good

Pros

• great size
  • lots of great features (html, flash, auto focus, full keyboard, touch screen)

Cons

• no touch screen calibration

glydeowner12
posted on 10 Dec 2008, 16:33

Love My GLYDE!!!!!!

Well, I got my Glyde a little more than a week ago, and let me tell you, it's been great! The touch screen is easy to navigate and is easy to dial on, but I find it easier to slide the Glyde up (hey, that rhymes) and use the cursor keys to navigate. The QWERTY is easy to use, and my fingers wouldn't fit on any other QWERTY keypad than the Glyde's. The shortcut menu is pretty easy to use. I don't have the Bi29, but like the Bi25 software better, it's got the blue theme, I hate the white theme of the bi29. The phone is thin, and it is not as noticeable in my pocket as my previous phones I've had before my Glyde. The slider works easily, and the buttons on the side are easy to use and nice. The battery life is quite impressive, and I love it the best out of any other phone!!!!!! Thank you, Samsung and VZW, for a GREAT PHONE!!!!!! 10/10 or 5/5 stars!!!!!!

Pros

• good touchscreen, good qwerty, good call quality, good speakerphone, good slider, good finish, good buttons

Cons

• none that i can think of

Kikster
posted on 09 Dec 2008, 18:43

I got this phone (and paid in full for it too) over the summer...I'd probably guess and say May. Anyways, ever since then I've had a lot of problems and I've actually gone to verizon and they have replaced the phone for me twice...with another glyde. The touch screen randomly will act up, mainly it will turn speaker phone on when I am clearly hitting the Text Message key, and the blue box on the background is very annoying. Also, I hate how the camera can't zoom...that's a little annoying. I also try to use the calculator and at least once a week I go to access my calculator and as soon as I hit the button my phone shuts off, which has happened on all 3 glydes I've had so far. Most recently, on the last glyde I had, I was in the middle of sending a text message and the touch screen completely shut down and stopped responding and never resumed working again...so once again I had to go to verizon and get it replaced. Another complaint I have is also the location of the "water damage" sticker so close to the edge of the back of the phone's cover---every time I go to verizon to get my glyde replaced (because I refuse to file an insurance claim for something I didn't do) I always have to argue with a sales rep who says I have water damage (which the sticker ALWAYS says I do) even though I clearly know I did not--and by the way the manager always agrees with my stories because the water damage sticker isn't all the way wet *for anyone's future reference* But still, this phone is disappointing...

flightmedic86
posted on 08 Dec 2008, 10:55

Comprehensive review

First, the touch screen:  Even if you lock it before you put it in your pocket or purse it will come unlocked since the unlock button is on the touch screen, DUH!!  Then before you know it the phone is calling someone or the browser becomes activated, which you will have to pay for every time you use it (unless you have it on your plan for a flat rate, which i don't).   To make matters worse, the touch screen doesn't work correctly. Touch one icon and a different one activates. I adjusted the sensitivity all the way up and left my phone at verizon for a software upgrade which helped, but every now and then the touch screen still won't work correctly. Also, the screen has gone white several times and I had to shut the phone off and turn it on again to get the screen back.    Flashing Blue square "shortcut" icon on the front screen. Don't really need it since everything is at the bottom of the screen and it only serves to ruin any pictures you choose to save on the screen as wall paper because when you save your favorite picture of your loved one or pet as wall paper they have a flashing blue square on them, usually right on thier nose, eye, mouth or worse.  Nothing in the owners manual on how to get rid of the square, called Samsung and after navigating thier computer answering system "press one for..." etc,  just when I thought I was finally going to talk to an actual human being...

Pros

• Key board

Cons

• everything else, see review.

Patrick Smalls
posted on 01 Dec 2008, 16:47

DO NOT GET!! This Phone is a joke!!

This phone is terrible. I text 24/7. The keyboard is amazing but since there is no send buttons the touch screen never ever works. I have problems with this touch screen about 80-85% of the time! BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY EVER!!  The battery life was so bad i wasted my money on the extended battery yet, there was no improvement. I cannot stress how bad the touch screen is it will get you yelling at the top of your lungs about how much it never works. Even tried the updates. yea it worked for about a day at the max, then went back to flipping out and touching random buttons when I'm not even touching anything. I have tried so many times to replace it but, Verizon of course makes me suffer with this piece of crap. So now I'm stuck with this piece of junk for 1 and a 1/2 years.   Save yourself and DO NOT GET!!!!!

posted on 29 Nov 2008, 11:22

Love this great new device called Glyde!

I've been wanting an upgrade for a LONG TIME because my Chocolate kept acting up and I had to get numerous Chocolates within a year. I went to my local VZW store on Black Friday to look at my choices. Turned out ther Glyde is on sale!!!!!! I picked it up and, only in a day of having it, L O V E it!!!!!! I wanted to go back to a Samsung after not being satisfied with an LG Chocolate. And so I did!!!!!! I LOVE everything about it, as this is my first phone with a QWERTY keypad!!!!!! I will say it again that I LOVE this phone!!!!!! Would not trade it for any other phone, even if I WAS offered a FREE iPhone!!!!!! Shame on you, Apple!!!!!! iPhone is BAD, glyde ROCKS!!!!!!

Pros

• Touchscreen, shortcut menu, onscreen keypad, QWERTY keypad, well-spaced out keys, blue-black color, everything about it.

Cons

• Sometimes my cheek hits buttons when I'm trying to talk.