Samsung Galaxy S4 Active User Reviews

Battery8.7/10
Reception9.2/10
Display9.4/10

captainbarcus
posted on 21 Aug 2014, 17:05 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)

The best phone I've ever used!

captainbarcus has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is truly amazing. I have used only slide and iPhones before I decided to get this. This phone is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. It's display is so sharp and clear. The physical buttons instead of the default “touch” buttons next to the home button really give it a more user friendly, professional, and just plain easy. But the main killer of this phone’s competitors is the IP 67 certification. This was the first real professional smart phone that is able to be used while completely submerged in the water. I recommend this phone to anyone who is looking for a cheap, reliable, and rugged phone.

Pros

• IP 67
  • Perfect size
  • Button feel
  • Screen sensitivity

Cons

• You need to buy a Micro SD card if you want to do anything

Diablo2424
posted on 13 Aug 2014, 10:12 (Posts: 13; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)

Great phone - expecially with it's IP rating!

Diablo2424 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This is my daily driver phone from ATT, I will say it's my second one as my first did die from water damage while I was hiking in Hawai'i, but I'm pretty sure it's my fault by not clicking the back cover down all the way before taking underwater video's/pictures then hiking back up the mountain, whoops. But as long as you make sure it's sealed, it takes amazing underwater photo's and video's, highly recommended. It's also good to know that if the phone gets wet from dropping it/rain/shower usage/etc. you don't have to worry about it. Only downfall is the bootloader is still locked so not many ROM options, and can only be done via SafeStrap dual boot. But root the stock TW and dump it for Nova/Google Now launcher and remove the bloatware apps and it's a great phone, especially once upgraded to KitKat! If you're debating on getting this phone, unless you have the ca$h for the S5 Active - get this. The waterproof also comes in handy when I'm working on the car and have dirty hands I don't mind answering calls/texts that come in because I can just wash the phone off in the sink when I'm done!

Reception 8/10 I've been in a room where my HTC One (ATT also) has 2-3 bars more service... sitting next to the S4 Active.
Call quality 8/10 Sometime's it's tough to understand the caller - but that could be ATT's network here in the NYC Metro area as well.
Battery 7/10 I bought two extra batteries on eBay since my original doesn't make it through the day anymore.

Pros

• IP Rating (waterproof)
  • Great speaker for music/speakerphone
  • Built quality
  • Call quality

Cons

• Locked bootloader
  • USB Port Cover flimsy

Diablo2424 alternatives:

BP420
posted on 30 Jul 2014, 14:35 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)

I like!

BP420 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have had this phone for less than a bit I really like it. It is the first higher end smartphone I've owned but I have played with other high end phones. It came down to this or a Sony Xperia Z or Z1 and I'm not as familiar with them as Samsung. My previous phone was a ZTE Solar so the active is miles ahead of it and for the price I paid it's worth it! Mine is the i537 that I bought unlocked, the only slight problem I have with it is the sound but that's it and it's not that much of an issue. In short for the price its a great phone in my opinion..It has a good feel, performs well and does everything I want and need it to do...also mine has scored much better on the Antutu benchmark test than what they have listed on this site.

Reception 10/10 I can get reception anywhere.
Internet 10/10 IF I ever have problems with the internet it's because of Straight Talk and I've never had a problem with them yet.
Camera 9/10 Would be nice for it to be 13MP
Display 9/10 not super AMOLED and it's gorilla glass 2, otherwise it's great to me

SamsungELITE
posted on 08 Mar 2014, 01:51

No waterproof phone can match this

SamsungELITE has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

A must have phone perfect for adventurous people like me. A one of a kind waterproof phone, durable, strong, excellent features and specs and most of all, a high end phone. Samsung made a great decision in making this phone ever. Thanks Samsung! Best ever phone brand in the world.

Pros

• 5 inches screen
  • 441 ppi density
  • 4G LTE
  • IP67 certification dust and waterproof
  • Great endurance and performance
  • Good design and build quality
  • average to excellent battery life
  • much cheaper than the regular S4

9k2010
posted on 28 Jan 2014, 21:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)

Great Offering by Samsung

9k2010 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

A great phone, everything noticeable that the S4 has plus the IP ratings. Buttons work fantastic and I prefer them to touch buttons. Water/dust proofing is fantastic. You can literally take it in the shower with you or the pool. Aqua mode is an awesome camera addition. Seal is something you have to learn to use, but works as designed. Survives harsh impacts and glass doesn't scratch or crack. Only complaint is it's only available in the States and even after it's unlocked, certain features like mobile hotspot are locked when using a non-AT&T SIM card. This phone should be available worldwide and more carriers need to bring it in!!!!

Build quality 10/10 Survives harsh impacts, glass doesn't scratch/crack.
Reception 9/10 No issues other than sometimes saying you have reception, but not sending anything. (Very rarely)
Call quality 10/10 No issues
Internet 9/10 Great experience. Some American bloatware/presets hamper the experience outside the US.
Multimedia 10/10 Can handle anything and everything!!
Camera 10/10 Aqua Mode is a huge bonus
UI speed 9/10 Lags from time to time. May have to do with the many different SIM cards I have used while traveling.
Everyday usage 10/10 Does everything I need it to plus more. Handles everything quickly and efficiently.
Text input 10/10 Easy and the usual great Samsung keyboard.
Display 10/10 Great display, good viewing angles and no issues.
Battery 9/10 It has been really good, but the AT&T bloatware and some presets make it power-hungry. That can be fixed. Also some have had faulty batteries, but those can be easily replaced!!

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Dustproof
  • User-Friendly UI
  • Tough Screen
  • Great Camera
  • NFC
  • Physical Buttons

Cons

• AT&T Bloatware
  • Poor Availability Worldwide

loki1618
posted on 11 Mar 2014, 12:45 (Posts: 22; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)

Samsung is taking too long with the updates

loki1618 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The 2012 phones are getting update but not this phone. That's very disappointing because I'm waiting on a update that will improve the battery, the memory card keep crashing everyday and if samsung is taking so long with 4.3 then 4.4 is gonna like in June.

Battery 5/10 I don't even be on the internet often and sometimes it doesnt last 7 hours

s4_active
posted on 05 Nov 2013, 06:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)

it substitutes the galaxy S4 in all ways!!!

s4_active has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

It can substitute the S4 in many ways plus the S4 has many types, so anyone could be fooled and get an S4 of low power but the active, there is one and only one active and it is better than the S4 yeah man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,​,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hmmy4
posted on 27 Oct 2013, 01:15 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)

Great phone!!!!

hmmy4 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

iam using this phone for around 2 weeks n i am kinda loving the samsung features.. the phone is a overall killer wth some really awesome spec sheet...the only problem i found was that the battery is draining really fast. nw i dont knw wt would be the prob. bt if there would be a expandable battery i would go for it other wise the phone is a beast :-)

Battery 7/10 the batter is not so good.. i have to charge the twice :-(

Pros

• NFC.
  • Great processor speed
  • awesome UI
  • iPS certified

Cons

• low maH battery
  • no super amoled display

hmmy4 alternatives:

wayngsta
posted on 26 Jun 2013, 06:07 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 May 2012)

Huge BRAVO! great phone

wayngsta has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have had every kind of phone from Blackberry then 2 different iphone versions(if there is such a thing since its always the same phone) and I went android. Personally, I like HTC phones so my first was HTC Inspire 4G. As we know wasn't a 4G phone just HSPA+. It was good with some minor hardware issues, this isn't ususal with HTC. I then upgraded to the HTC One X. This phone was good, I love the OS of Android. I did like the HTC Sense UI layover for the phone as well, but it did have problems communicating with the Android OS base software. Also, I had major issues with the hardware. I ended up with 4 total warranty exchanges. I decided to go with the masses and get a Samsung. This phone just came out, waterproof, dust proof and all. Sounds like a winner to me, right? Well it is. This phone has no issues with the communications between touchwhiz and the Android jelly bean OS. The only flaw is the keyboard with Jelly bean. It doesnt do auto-correct, but does have predictive texting. You just have to select the word. There is a third party keyboard you can download that is awesome and has the predictive texting called "Jelly Bean Keyboard" developed by VLLWP. You lose the numbers at the top and have to go back to hitting that little side button to get to the numbers, which you should be used to anyway, but you get that auto-correct back and its free. No ad's while typing, they're only in the settings, regarding ads. Anywho, it has a Siri type function when holding down the home...

Text input 9/10 Because of no auto-correct. However, there is a third party app that fixed this only issue. Which to me isn't to big of a deal. given all the benefits.

• Front/Back Camera
  • Waterproof/Dustproof

Cons

• No auto-correct
  • human interaction to ensure water seal