x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Build quality7.5/10
Everyday usage7.3/10
UI speed7.9/10

Planterz
posted on 17 Mar 2014, 02:50 (Posts: 2110; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)

This great phone should cost way more!

Planterz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Don't pay $240 (or $216 on sale) from T-Mobile. You can get it off eBay for $170 brand new. I got mine used ("great condition") for $120. The one I received was not in "great condition". "IMMACULATE condition" would have been more apt.

If you live in an area where T-M has LTE, you should see very fast data speeds. At my apartment (which has T-M antennae on the roof) I seriously see 30-40+Mb/s DL speeds. At work though, it's more like 7-12Mb/s, which is still faster than I got with Verizon LTE.

The screen is smallish at 4", and the res is 480x800 for an OK, not-great-but-usable 233ppi. Other phones in this price range often have worse screens. Colors are accurate, but slightly dull - they could be more vivid/bright/punchier. You'll definitely have to zoom in when web browsing.

The 1.4GHz quad-core processor and 1gb RAM make everything run smooth and snappy. Asphalt 8 runs smooth. I get Antutu scores of about 17500 and Quadrant at 7700. Pretty impressive. Part of this though is due to the fact that the processors only have to push a 480x800 screen.

The 5MP camera takes pretty good pics for a 5MP camera. Unless you're taking pics or landscape or stuff far away, it's more than good enough for posting on Facebook or whatever.

There's no notification LED. I wish there was, but I guess this is one of the sacrifices that had to be made to keep the price down. There's no MHL/HDMI out support either.

I don't like TouchWiz. I skinned mine with Nova Prime and my own preferred widgets,...

Build quality 7/10 Well bult, but cheap materials and feel.
Internet 7/10 Pages load and render quickly, but small screen and average resolution mean you'll always need to zoom in or use the mobile site.
Multimedia 7/10 VIdeos and games play well, but the small screen and average resolution aren't the best for entertainment
Camera 7/10 Takes pretty good pics for a 5MP camera, but is still just a 5MP camera.
UI speed 10/10 Smooth and snappy!
Everyday usage 8/10 Runs well, but smaller size isn't best for internet/media.
Text input 8/10 Not a fan of Samsung's keyboard, but even with my preferred SwiftKey, the small screen leads to mistypes.
Display 8/10 Looks good for what it is. Colors are accurate, but could be more vivid/bright.
Battery 7/10 It's average

Pros

• CHEAP!
  • LTE is FAST on T-Mobile (where available)
  • Quad core 1.4GHz processor and 1gb RAM make everthing snappy.
  • Smart Stay
  • Decent enough screen and camera
  • Removable battery
  • Decent enough screen and camera
  • MicroSD slot
  • 8gb internal storage is much better than the 4 or 2 a budget phone usually has
  • Rootable on 4.2.2 (if you're in to that sort of thing)

Cons

• I don't like TouchWiz
  • Samsung/T-Mobile bloatware mostly sucks
  • Front-facing camera sucks (but I don't take selfies, so NBD)
  • Colors are a bit dull, although accurate
  • No built-in equalizer or sound profiles
  • No notification LED
  • Few accessories available
  • Samsung browser doesn't support Flash
  • Obviously, not the best phone for watching videos or surfing the web on

cornerofthemoon
posted on 04 Feb 2014, 10:15 (Posts: 600; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)

Lots of features for a low end phone

cornerofthemoon has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The phone looks like a cross between the Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S4 Mini. I bought it for $150 from HSN as an inexpensive backup phone for my Galaxy Note 3 and to use as a jogging/gym buddy as the enormous Note 3 is not practical for that.

Even though the Galaxy Light is technically inferior to the Note in virtually every respect, it actually outperforms it's bigger brother in LTE reception and call quality.
The Galaxy Light uses a standard definition screen, but it is a very good one. T Mobile states that the G Light handles up to a 32gb SD card but it handles my 64gb card just fine.

The OS runs smoothly, however it's relatively low RAM can get taxed if one runs alot of applications at once. I guess I'm spoiled by my Galaxy Note in that respect.

All in all an excellent phone considering it's low price point....Highly reccommend.

Pros

• Excellent Value

fuckmyasshole
posted on 25 Mar 2016, 22:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Mar 2016)

Don't Ever Buy This Phone

fuckmyasshole has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

With the time that I had with this phone, it was absolutely terrible. I would never recommend this phone to anyone. The battery was probably my biggest issue with the phone, as I stated next to the battery quality. Losing up to 20% trying to turn on my phone is absolutely ridiculous.

Call quality 7/10 It couldn't even reach my mouth, so the person couldn't hear me. When I moved it down so they could hear me, I couldn't hear them.
Text input 7/10 The microphone being next to the comma was really annoying and since it took forever for the microphone to open and close it was too tedious, I couldn't get rid of it either.
Battery 5/10 By the end of the school day, my phone would already die (which is around 7 hours), even after taking good care of my phone's battery. When I would turn my phone off and then back on I would lose up to 20% of my battery as well.

Pros

• Easy to carry.

Cons

• Almost no phone cases for it.
  • Small Screen (the keyboard especially, I have small fingers so it wasn't too much of a problem).

belieber1996
posted on 18 Jun 2015, 01:07 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 May 2013)

Entry Level Phone with Great Value

belieber1996 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got the Samsung Galaxy Light for free when my aunt bought the Galaxy S6 for MetroPCS, so I decided to take advantage of the offer and see was paying $36 up front was a great deal, and must I say it was quite a steal! Despite it's smaller screen and entry-level features, it performs well above it's price point. The 1.4 GHz quad-core processor is quite snappy and responsive paired with 1 GB of memory, which shows little to no hesitation when multitasking. The only disappointment I have with this phone is the camera, in which color reproduction fails to be sharp and accurate with photos. If you have small thumbs and can be pretty concise with typing on the on-screen keyboard, you shouldn't experience any problems when texting, surfing the web, or composing an email. Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Light is definitely a great smartphone experience without breaking the bank!

Build quality 7/10 The design and overall build quality are quite mediocre.
Reception 8/10 Has some issues with shifting from EDGE/4G/LTE in all areas, but no major problems.
Call quality 10/10 Adapt sound and noise cancellation really bring out the HD Voice quality!
Camera 8/10 Has a few extra features in the camera application to better the quality of some shots, but fails to perform at it's best on occasion.
UI speed 10/10 Not a single hesitation!
Text input 10/10 My thumbs and fingers are pretty used to typing on a small screen
Display 8/10 The WVGA screen works fine, despite the screen being pixelated.
Battery 10/10 Lasted for 13 hours on a single charge with continuous use throughout the day.

Pros

• NFC (Near Field Communications)
  • 4G LTE
  • 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Good battery life

Cons

• Mediocre Camera
  • LTE coverage can be a bummer

belieber1996 alternatives:

DragonTJr
posted on 05 Dec 2014, 10:37 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Oct 2014)

I really love this phone and it better then my kyocrea hydro life

DragonTJr has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

this phone is loud and i recommand to everyone that want a good phone if you have hearing trouble also this phone is good to have also it loud and clear Also the sound card in it is awesome the cam is so clear and also i love the memory it came with i dont have to worry about using my memory up

Jsnpupo72
posted on 07 Nov 2014, 00:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Nov 2014)

great phone for its price

Jsnpupo72 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I payed $50 at MetroPCS and it works better then my previous Lg optimus F6. For those who dont' want to spend over 100 on a phone, this one is great. Better upgrade from the galaxy exhibit and also It runs on the 4.4.2 kit kat. I plan on keeping this phone for a while and if my opinion changes i will update It. for now i'm pretty satisfied

Jsnpupo72 alternatives:

BELiEVER719
posted on 22 Jul 2014, 19:56 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)

Many problems with an echo

BELiEVER719 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Have not been happy because of an echo. Seems no one will acknowledge problem or offer any solutions. So I own a phone that half the time is worthless and the other time is great. I did not expect this from Samsung as this is why I purchased from them thinking I would get a quality phone. I am now sorry that I bought it as I am out the purchase price and have to constantly deal with an echo. I hoped having T-Mobile would be good as I could talk to a real person rather than calling to another country for help. That didn't work out well either. I hope other people don't have this problem as it gets very frustrating especially when there seems to be no solutions.

Build quality 2/10 Many problems with an echo. It repeats my words to a person that I have called
Reception 5/10 Good reception when works
Call quality 1/10 Call quality is terrible with an echo. They replaced this phone and said not having any issues with echos. Yet, the replacement phone does the same thing.
Internet 10/10 easy to connect
Multimedia 4/10 i rarely use this feature
Camera 9/10 decent pictures
UI speed 5/10 I don't know what this is.
Everyday usage 2/10 A real hassle with constant echo problems
Text input 8/10 pretty simple.
Display 8/10 Nice display but touchy. It keeps muting so I don't know people call me.
Battery 5/10 Seems alright for my use. Samsung does not have a spare battery to purchase yet. Seems odd when none available for a phone that is sold. I liked to have a spare but can't purchase anywhere.

Pros

• android
  • price
  • when it works right, a good phone

Cons

• Poor customer service
  • Samsung won't admit an echo problem exists
  • touchy screen no way to regulate
  • t_mobile basically told me Oh well!

vfguy
posted on 23 Apr 2014, 17:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Apr 2014)

Crappy phone

vfguy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I got this phone when I switched from boost to T-Mobile. the biggest complaints I have about this phone are: poor reception most everywhere. phone is very slow for a quad-core. camera takes poor quality pix. battery life is terrible. continually disconnects from wifi. really, there's not much to like about this phone. call quality is pretty decent. my htc phone was much better. but nothing I've tried comes close to my old palm phone. I'm planning on buying a $200 no-name 8-core phone with 2gb ram as a last chance to see if I can find an android phone that is decent without costing $400-$600. Sorry, I'm not paying that much for a phone.

tanthien
posted on 21 Feb 2014, 08:20 (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Feb 2014)

nice one, not like my crappy Galaxy Ace 3

tanthien has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This baby is amazing compare with my Galaxy ace 3, a faster chip, nicely body, better camera, and a recently android 4.4.2 update, I love this thing. BĂșt i don't like the screen in the PPI and sun display ability. The battery is average, 6hrs play video, 7hrs calling

Pros

• Fast CPU
  • Timely updates
  • Nice preinstalled apps
  • beautiful body design
  • good camera

Cons

• bad screen
  • low battery
  • not much camera features

tanthien alternatives:

007vette
posted on 30 Nov 2013, 20:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)

I love it

007vette has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

We bought this phone and added a 16 GB Sandisk Class 10 30 mb/s micro SD Card so all images would not load onto the 8 GB Storage. The phone works great. The battery was at 87 % after 8 hours on time, and 2 hours of internet use. So no complaints on battery, contrary to first review of this phone. Size is perfect for pocket or small hand use.

Pros

• Fast Speed Test with LTE & Quad Processor

Cons

• 8 GB Storage

MEGSr
posted on 25 Nov 2013, 17:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)

Samsung Galaxy Light

MEGSr has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Nice phone for a non power user needing a basic smart phone. The new android is ok and fast. Hangs a bit between apps at times. Browser is good and nice speed. Not enough power for multi media users. Display is basically good for the cost of the phone. Call quality is really good. Clear on both ends with no echo or feedback. Keys are a bit small and crowded even in the landscape mode. Easy to adjust to if you have small fingers. Camera is only 5mp. Works ok outdoors. Indoors not so much. There is no light sensor. Manual adjustment for brightness. Simple process on the home screen. The phone is very good in most cases and I would recommend it except for the battery. I charged the phone 12 hours on two occasions. The first time was setting up the phone and the charge lasted less than 4 hours. On the second charge the phone sat idle for 8 hours and was down to less than 10%. I'm unsure if this is a problem with all phones or just mine. I would wait a while before buying this phone for this reason.

Pros

• Good basic entry level phone.

Cons

• Battery is terrible!

New and Refurbished