x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung Galaxy 3 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

BAD Samsung Galaxy 3

murugeshd2 29 Aug 2010, 06:13 posted on

Hi Folks, I bought this phone thinking it'll be better than my Samsung Spica. Its not what they claim it to be... THIS REVIEW IS AFTER I TRIED USING THE MOBILE FOR JUST TWO DAYS. Battery : On 3G the back up was 11 hours of standby time with 45 minutes of talk time. Nowhere near Stand-by Up to 620 h (2G) / Up to 510 h (3G) Talk time Up to 15 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 7 h 15 min (3G). The processor is so slow. I opened a website on the Samsung 3 along with my Spica. Samsung 3 took 90 second more than it took on the Spica. This phone has more RAM and ROM but is pathetically slow. This is not only on GPRS but even on WIFI. The calls get cut off very fast - I mean most times in 3 seconds flat. This because the phone hangs / crashes a lot. The screen resolution is BAAAD. Its like reading an OLD BADLY PHOTOCOPIED PAPER. I bought this because of the newer OS (2.1) and thought it would be faster than the Older Samsung Spica which has Android OS Ver 1.5. The apps from Android Market is good but because the speed is so slow it doesnt seem good. The camera is marginally better than the spica. I was also disappointed that it didn't have Laptop tethering like Samsung Wave. Wave's tethering was very good and since this was released much after the WAVE I thought it would be standard feature on all future models. The GPS is very slow too. Overall, I feel that Samsung had made and released a mobile phone which is going to bring down Galaxy S because of it performance. Hope Samsung will do something to rectify these mistakes and give an update soon.

posted on 10 Sep 2010, 08:39

2. RadioActive (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Sep 2010)

@murugeshd2 This phone doesnt deserve any critics. It is priced below spica and wave, not because they want people to go for this phone instead of its predecessors. If u say you have bought this one just because it has newer OS than spica then ur bullsh*****g. What u get is worth what you pay. Android devices are supposed to cost ~ $400 , and if samsung has tried to make a device affordable you should appreciate it. 600Mhz processor is good enough to run applications on android. And what you mean GPS is slow? it is not ur internet, it has to fetch coordinates for satellites so has to be in line of sight and calculations doesnt take time, have you seen a FM radio giving a delay? . You cant compare it with higher priced version. Same holds true when you buy a PC or a laptop.

posted on 10 Sep 2010, 08:37

1. RadioActive (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Sep 2010)

@murugeshd2 This phone doesnt deserve any critics. It is priced below spica and wave, not because they want people to go for this phone instead of its predecessors. If u say you have bought this one just because it has newer OS than spica then ur bullsh*****g. What u get is worth what you pay. Android devices are supposed to cost ~ $400 , and if samsung has tried to make a device affordable you should appreciate it. 600Mhz processor is good enough to run applications on android. And what you mean GPS is slow? it is not ur internet, it has to fetch coordinates for satellites so has to be in line of sight and calculations doesnt take time, have you seen a FM radio giving a delay? . You cant compare it with higher priced version. Same holds true when you buy a PC or a laptop.

posted on 15 Sep 2010, 22:55

3. hiren2188 (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Sep 2010)

Hi friend! i want to know that can galaxy 3 play you tube video?and how is the experience of android os? plz reply me....because i want to buy this phone.

posted on 28 Oct 2010, 07:19

4. StevieD (unregistered)

Dont know what you are talking about, i got more than a day of battery with heavy usage. The phone is fast execpt in 3D games, but everything else is very quick. Maybe you got a defective phone, because mine is superb so far.

posted on 01 Nov 2010, 01:48

6. eboy (unregistered)

This phone's OS can't be updated. i.e. you can't update eclair to froyo..?? Is it true..??
Any body got any idea..!!

posted on 01 Nov 2010, 09:32

7. vinay1 (unregistered)

Bought Samsung Galaxy-3( Gt-I5801), am using GPRS, it takes about 5-8 seconds to open messages or contacts from menu. Cannot copy contacts from mobile to PC using Kies. After updating Kies & installation the applications cannot be installed it says that one cannot download to android phone as per google's policy. Is Wi-fi the only way to download games... Intermittently, I am unable to make calls, despite a strong signal indicator. Have I landed with a defective piece. Could someone clarify.

posted on 02 Nov 2010, 13:36

8. arul (unregistered)

I am using this phone for past few weeks. Samsung is focusing Indian mobile user/market to give smart phone user experience, android, multi touch for common people like me ( i can't buy iphone or ipod touch) @ 11800 rs. Yes this is wqvga screen so what? famous angry bird game is working working very well with multi touch.

posted on 07 Nov 2010, 13:35

9. dont buy galaxy 3 (unregistered)

dont buy Galaxy 3, its phone book function will sucks you, it will mix up everything.. u have to workhard to seprate them, the voice quality is very bad,, what a phone if voice quality is bad, kies will not work to connect your phone to pc, u will be not able to use ur phone as...modem to connect net on ur pc smoothly, the battery life sucks, without using multimedia, or net my battery dyes in 12 hrs, its the standbuy time,talk time is just 4 hrs, 3g surfing time 3.5 hrs,in just two days the processing speed died, phone takes 45 sec to auto change to landscope mode, after comparing the video quality and speed of the phone with nokia x6, its video quality is poor, and video have blue shade insted of white,its cmaera is so bad in front of nokia x6, its extremly slow phone.. its speeds will suck.. customer service dont help, , before even thinking of buying please talk to me, u will saved from mistake.. its not best buy..
display resolution. is bad i have taken nokia x6 and galaxy 3, i was surprise galaxy 3 is showing blue shade insted of white,,, its inferior to nokia x6, its speed is so slow, nokia x6 was like bullet train, and galaxy moving like snail.. its not a best buy.. so many problem i am facing and samsung customer service will suck u.. i am soon moving to consumer court and its not hsdpa technology which it claim its wcdma for 3g wrong claim on its box... and so many more...

posted on 14 Nov 2010, 11:44

10. raghu (unregistered)

i am planning on buy galaxy 3.....is it good or should go for another phone???should i buy something else instead?? my budget is 13K.....

posted on 25 Nov 2010, 01:12

11. Dijje (unregistered)

I bought samsung galaxy 3 mobile having lot of dreams about android usage....
The very next day, battery started crying within few hours after 8hours charging.
Same is continued and battery comes MAX one day if i don't use the cell at all other than few calls.
Tries using softwares to kill running processes and kept killing running processes, but no luck.
There are other software problems as BlueTooth get disconnected automatically after attending every call, Wire less doesn't connect etc.
Univercell as well as samsung service center as so worse that they are not entertaining any complaints.... worst experience in 10years since I started using cellphones.....

posted on 25 Nov 2010, 01:15

12. Dijje (unregistered)

I sugget no one to samsung 3G atleast due to my bad experiences with it....
If you still want to take a change/try ur luck, wish you all the BEST!

posted on 26 Nov 2010, 04:50

13. Neo (unregistered)

Don't buy this phone.

Seeing Online reviews, I bought this phone dreaming of Android 2.1 and Galaxy.

Good things:

I love the apps of Android 2.1. Tremendous collection of various apps of all kinds. Phone is feature rich

Phone camera is decent.

Video player is extraordinary playing every format without converting.

Music player is also good.

Confession:

When I bought the phone, I showed off to all friends, but it was only later, I realised the bad things on this phone which are huge enough to discard as unimportant.

Bad Things:

1. I was using Nokia E51 before, got used to fast processing speed in all. Here everything was slow. I dont know what the 600 MHz processor is doing in Galaxy 3.

2. If you have to call, you will have to press atleast 5 buttons before calling ( with processor being slow, it was bad)

3. As I roam to much on sun, I could not see anything on the screen. Visibility under the sun was too bad.

4. Typing with Swype was not easy to learn. If you learn it would be faster or else you will have to struggle sending sms

5. The touch screen is crazy. If you keep the phone over your cheek when you talk by chance - touch screen buttons like mute, speaker etc.. are getting activated.

6. The button placement of volume control is also weird. When you hold the phone naturally your hand touches the volume control on the side. Slightest hold on the button will make your phone in silent mode and you will be missing calls forever till you see the phone.

7. Mic active, even when you connect your 3.5mm to speaker. But in Samsung Galaxy 3 & S too, when you connect your speaker to 3.5mm. you can hear what the other person is saying over the speaker but what you speak they cant hear. This default feature in most phones is missing here.

8. If you switch on GPRS, all apps will access GPRS without your consent. But your battery will run dry in two hours.

9. The battery to get charged completely - you will have charge atleast 4 hours.

10. Awesome video player. See one movie in it, you wont even complete watching it, your battery will go dry

11. Few infrequent call cuts happen without any reason.

12. Headphones - very uncomfortable

CONCLUSION
I accept this is a budget phone- I dont expect bullet speed, etc... But what is default in most phones as basic as decent speed, battery, call reach, mic and visibility under sun are missing leaving you disappointed.

Richness of feature should never compensate for the basic fundamental requisites we expect out of a phone.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Dont buy and you will not be disappointed!

posted on 11 Jun 2011, 10:09

20. Nerte (unregistered)

Whoa whoa whoa guys, a lot stuff of mentioned here is complete bullcrap! The phone is not that bad AT ALL and don't forget it costs 150 € these days. I really want to clear some things, so let's start:

Yes, Galaxy 3 is not perfect and I struggled a lot, too! But now the Froyo update is available and it make the phone even better.

Kies: Always unmount SD card when connecting with Kies! I wasn't able to connect it at all but this advice solved the problem.

GPS: There's a problem with GPS, yes, it's slow and currently I'm experiencing whole system lagging when GPS is on. I had to use GPSopt app (from Market) to even TURN ON (!) GPS but lately I noticed I'm able to fully turn on GPS and get my position without any help. So now it's usable.

Battery: I remember once I managed to keep my phone without charging for 4 days (I think it was on GPRS, though)! On normal day, always online, you will have to charge it once in a day, just like every other smartphone... I am using 3G.

Internet speed: Random Wikipedia page (by clicking Random article) just took me 16 seconds to load and it was small article with 2 larger images on the right side.

Screen: Before I bought the phone, I've read/watched many reviews and in most of them the bad thing was the screen and it's resolution. I was counting with it. So I was pleasently surprised that the screen was far from THAT bad! Yes, the resolution is only 240x400, but nothing looks what you would call awful! It's not iPhone 4 nor any hi-end Android, but it's perfectly fine to use for mail, web, movies/sitcoms and all that! And the screen is very smooth to work with, it's multitouch and on 100% brightness it's usable on sun too (I used it in equator Africa just fine).

Speed: Here's another weaker point of Galaxy 3 - processor. It will take 5 seconds to load Contacts as well as about 5 seconds to load phone functions. It really depends. I have about 230 contacts and many of them are linked with Facebook, so I guess it takes time to load all the current FB profile pictures. Phone is really bad with 3D graphics, so forget 3D gaming. Angry Birds are playable, but on some complex levels it's really pain. Sometime, even accept a call is crazy. You feel it vibrate, hear it ring but nothing appears on the screen (because it's slow). This happened just few times to me but it was pretty annoying as once they already hang up. I couldn't do anything.

...to be continued...

posted on 11 Jun 2011, 10:10

21. Nerte (unregistered)

Answers to Neo: You can make shortcuts to desktop that allow you to call contacts in one click. That's the power of Android, these things are customizable.

Swype is matter of preference, I'm not using it because I don't think it would handle my language & my style of talking (slang), so I'm sticking with typing.

When you having a phone call, sensor will notice it and will turn off your screen. I never managed to touch some "button" while having a phone call, I'm not sure what ou are doing with your phone.

Volume button placement is perfectly fine and standard as on most other phones...

Of course apps will access GPRS or 3G! It's a smartphone!!! What you got apps for? I don't understand why people buy these smartphones when they don't use internet?

I don't even remember getting a headphones wit it, I'm surprised anybody would even care, all headphones with devices are crap.

-----

Result:
For it's price, Samsung Galaxy 3 is great phone and I'm very happy with it! It's not perfect, but also it's not 800 € :-)

posted on 28 Nov 2010, 08:18

14. TRIGART (unregistered)

My galaxy 3 touch pad is not working, and also ther back and menu buttons as if disabled...

posted on 10 Dec 2010, 05:06

15. Ramesh S (unregistered)

Don't buy Galaxy 3......:-(
I bought this phone on November and I am using it for the past one month. I really have experienced only bad things in this phone. The Processor speed is not upto the mark. If we are opening Contacts, Messages, it will not come up instantly. Only after 10 seconds I am able to see Contacts and Messages in my screen.

I am really accepting 12 bad things mentioned by Neo.

Guys please don't get this mobile. Instead we can use Nokia's older model too...:-)

posted on 08 Jan 2011, 00:10

16. manjeet kumar (unregistered)

galaxy 3 is a good phone with many features. But a very huge problem is its battery life. This problem can be solved by downloading advanced task killer from android market for free.In setting, set auto kill level at crazy and frequency at when screen off. Then you will notice a big change in battery life.

posted on 24 Mar 2011, 13:09

17. Nasheet (unregistered)

hi......
the all above who criticized galaxy 3 are too wrong about this phone.
In fact,its a great mobile.

posted on 12 Apr 2011, 15:49

18. Fanana (unregistered)

I hate my Galaxy 3. What a waste. I totally agree with EVERYthing Neo said.
Even I used to show off to my friends. Now I hang my head in shame.
This phone sucks.

[No, I wouldn't say that in front of any of my friends]

posted on 10 Jun 2011, 11:24

19. DeMoN (unregistered)

I've been using this phone for nearly 6 months, and last month i upgraded to Android 2.2 and everything is working perfectly fine (except for swype, which i fixed it), no problems whatsoever and it is totally worth the money. Its way better than any symbian handset.

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:38

22. Suresh (unregistered)

You all (who hates gal 3) are f**king d**kheads.. What made you to compare gal 3 with Spica. It is 11,500 and spica is 15,000 rs.. The difference is 3,500 rs..
Now tell me which is best out of these two phones.
Samsung Spica vs Galaxy SL..
They too have the price difference of 4,000 rs.
But when the price difference is not a problem only a fool could select Spica over Gal SL which comes with mega 4 inch touch screen, 2.3 android and someother extraordinary features...
So do compare mobiles according to their prices...
Samsung is not a fool to give all features at your 11,000 rs..

The only mobiles comes in competition with gal 3 are HTC Wildfire, LG Optimus one, Samsung gal i5510...
But the winner is definitely GALAXY 3...
Why can't you suck your friend's cocks rather putting your head down before them...

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:40

23. Suresh (unregistered)

You all (who hates gal 3) are f**king d**kheads.. What made you to compare gal 3 with Spica. It is 11,500 and spica is 15,000 rs.. The difference is 3,500 rs..
But when the price difference is not a problem only a fool could select Spica over Gal SL which comes with mega 4 inch touch screen, 2.3 android and someother extraordinary features...

The only mobiles comes in competition with gal 3 are HTC Wildfire, LG Optimus one, Samsung gal i5510...
Why can't you suck your friend's cocks rather putting your head down before them...

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:41

24. Suresh (unregistered)

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:42

25. Suresh (unregistered)

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:45

26. Suresh (unregistered)

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 10:47

27. Suresh (unregistered)

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Jul 2011, 11:41

28. Suresh (unregistered)

Samsung is not a fool to give all features at your 11,000 rs.. If they do so, they will shutdown their corporation after undergoing bankruptcy and they will start making 'Samsung baby diapers'...
Hello murugesh are you trying to be a smart ass. wake up you idiot. If you are too smart in analysing phones then why don't you buy a galaxy SL instead.

I LOVE MY GAL 3

posted on 16 Aug 2011, 19:56

29. hobson (unregistered)

It is such a bad phone! When im in a good signal area (for internet) half the time it wont even open it it will just say connection problem. Tje phone is also very laggy and sometimes freezes, it freezes alot actully!!!

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories