x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung GALAXY Tab 8.9 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

GSM Telephony capability

EI (unregistered) 27 Mar 2011, 01:36 posted on

I would like to know if this tablet is capable of providing users with the ability to make voice calls through GSM network. I have seen at GSMArena website that this tablet does not support voice calls (link:http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_8_9_3g-3891.php ). Infact, they have listed all the tablets to be incapable of voice calls thru GSM networks.

I would like to clarify as I am looking forward to replace my laptop and smartphone with this device.

posted on 05 Apr 2011, 03:19

1. Mayowa (unregistered)

Yes...the samsung galaxy tab can make voice calls over gsm. Initially, i was surprised and maybe concerned that no one was thinking about or at least asking about gsm telephony capability. Finally, i have some proof..(engadget's hands-on video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_N9wOmFRg
At 1:34 at the bottom right, there's a phone icon!
at 2:28 CALL SETTINGS!!!!! hurray
So the 8.9 is the gadget to get.

posted on 04 May 2011, 16:40

2. jthiagesan (Posts: 104; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)

Are you sure this will allow us to make voice calls?? i get to talk with samsung representative and he said we can't make any voice calls through samsung galaxy tab series except 5". Please help i want to get rid off my SE xperia x10

posted on 10 Oct 2011, 04:35

3. PRIDADY (unregistered)

could i used this tablet as a mobile phone

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 13:07

4. Ronny Hidayat (unregistered)

good news or bad news...

i've buy tab 8.9 [oct 1st 2011] in tab 8.9 launch day Indonesia...
this tablet support for text message[sms],
but seems samsung lock all phone app...

contacts [phonebook] > we supposed to have option, email, sms, call.. this tab only email and sms
but if i explore using "file manager HD" apps, or advance task manager...
there are many accessible call setting and apps for voice call... [dialer etc]
[still can't found how to enable it]
if someone call GSM number which is used in tab 8.9,
there will sound one "beep" then like reject.
-------------------------------
the good news is...
--------------------------------
tab which is arrived to GSM arena office is the early version firmware... its still not locked and able for voice call... :)

today launch [sale to market] is different setting [its locked somewhere] :(

so if GSMarena could pull out and share their tab 8.9 firmware to XDA or other...
i believe no more than 2 weeks, they could update our tab 8.9 for GSM voice call enable...
note:
I've posted this comment & info to GSM arena, but they seems to remove my comment :(....

*please share this info... [hoping thins tab could enable GSM voice call]

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Buy This Phone

Latest stories