x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung GALAXY Tab 8.9 Discussions
  • Options

GSM Telephony capability

EI (unregistered) 27 Mar 2011, 01:36 posted on

I would like to know if this tablet is capable of providing users with the ability to make voice calls through GSM network. I have seen at GSMArena website that this tablet does not support voice calls (link:http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_8_9_3g-3891.php ). Infact, they have listed all the tablets to be incapable of voice calls thru GSM networks.

I would like to clarify as I am looking forward to replace my laptop and smartphone with this device.

posted on 05 Apr 2011, 03:19

1. Mayowa (unregistered)

Yes...the samsung galaxy tab can make voice calls over gsm. Initially, i was surprised and maybe concerned that no one was thinking about or at least asking about gsm telephony capability. Finally, i have some proof..(engadget's hands-on video)
At 1:34 at the bottom right, there's a phone icon!
at 2:28 CALL SETTINGS!!!!! hurray
So the 8.9 is the gadget to get.

posted on 04 May 2011, 16:40

2. jthiagesan (Posts: 104; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)

Are you sure this will allow us to make voice calls?? i get to talk with samsung representative and he said we can't make any voice calls through samsung galaxy tab series except 5". Please help i want to get rid off my SE xperia x10

posted on 10 Oct 2011, 04:35

3. PRIDADY (unregistered)

could i used this tablet as a mobile phone

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 13:07

4. Ronny Hidayat (unregistered)

good news or bad news...

i've buy tab 8.9 [oct 1st 2011] in tab 8.9 launch day Indonesia...
this tablet support for text message[sms],
but seems samsung lock all phone app...

contacts [phonebook] > we supposed to have option, email, sms, call.. this tab only email and sms
but if i explore using "file manager HD" apps, or advance task manager...
there are many accessible call setting and apps for voice call... [dialer etc]
[still can't found how to enable it]
if someone call GSM number which is used in tab 8.9,
there will sound one "beep" then like reject.
the good news is...
tab which is arrived to GSM arena office is the early version firmware... its still not locked and able for voice call... :)

today launch [sale to market] is different setting [its locked somewhere] :(

so if GSMarena could pull out and share their tab 8.9 firmware to XDA or other...
i believe no more than 2 weeks, they could update our tab 8.9 for GSM voice call enable...
I've posted this comment & info to GSM arena, but they seems to remove my comment :(....

*please share this info... [hoping thins tab could enable GSM voice call]

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Buy This Phone

Latest stories