Samsung GALAXY Note II Verizon User Reviews

Text input9.1/10
Everyday usage8.7/10
UI speed9.5/10

masons
posted on 31 Oct 2013, 00:24 (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)

great phone but delicate

masons has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The large screen is amazing I can never go back to a smaller display. The only problem I have with it is the screen cracked from a 4 foot drop. The battery last from 6am to 6pm but thats from constant usage.

Build quality 7/10 Breaks very easily

Pros

• big screen

fzayas24
posted on 31 Jul 2013, 09:08 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)

Mixed Feelings

fzayas24 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Bottom line is I regret leaving the iPhone stable for this. I wanted the Galaxy Note II for it's screen size and it's ability to take quick, handwritten notes with the s-pen. That part of it does not disappoint. This phone does several things better than the iPhone does, no question. However for me, it's aggravations add up quickly and the longer I've had the phone, the more unhappy I've been with it. First and foremost is the placement of the button on the side of the phone that turns it on and off and shuts off the screen. It is placed in the worst possible location-right where your finger naturally goes when you hold it! I am constantly accidentally shutting down the screen in the middle of doing something. Even worse, it is very sensitive and the phone is frequently shutting itself off entirely when it's in my pocket. This is bad because I can go hours not knowing its off while I miss important business calls. My next peeve is the voice mail system. With the iPhone, you instantly can see if you have voice mail, then open a list of the messages and visually see them. You can go to any in any order its great. With this phone, I have to log in to the voicemail with a password every time, and have to work my way through the messages old school, listening in order and having to remember numbers for skipping, saving, deleting, etc. I HATE that. Also, the only indication that you have a message is a TINY gray icon at the top of the screen that you will never notice...

Build quality 5/10 Poor design of button locations. They are placed right where your fingers naturally go, making it too easy to accidentally shut down the screen. I HATE that.
Everyday usage 3/10 Terrible placement of the buttons makes it way too easy to accidentally shut down the screen while you are using the phone and it often shuts itself down completely in my pocket leading to too many missed calls.

Pros

• Screen Size

torr310
posted on 04 Apr 2014, 18:16 (Posts: 328; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)

Best Phone!

torr310 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been using it for a year and this is the best thing I've ever have.
Battery life is amazingly good, especially after root with a good kernel installed, I can use two full days without a charge for regular(non-intense) use.

The speaker is loud and the reception is very good!

Build quality 9/10 Leave a little room for improvement.
Reception 10/10 Pretty good!
Call quality 9/10 Hope the in-call speaker can be louder.
Multimedia 9/10 The speaker is loud but wish it is not placed on the back of the phone. It's inferior to HTC's BoomSound.
Camera 8/10 The image quality is good, but white balance should be more accurate.
UI speed 9/10 Hope it could be a little bit smoother on the coming Android KitKat update.
Everyday usage 10/10 Cannot go back to the smaller screen phones!
Display 8/10 The display is inferior to my last phone, HTC Rezound.
Battery 10/10 I can watch streaming videos and still have some juice before going to bed. The battery life is even better than the newer Note 3!

Pros

• Long Lasting Battery
  • Big screen
  • Fast
  • Good speaker
  • Great Camera
  • All Around Top Specs

Cons

• Screen doesn't look as beautiful as HTC Rezound, and also lower pixel density.
  • The color of the picture should be more accurate.

Larry_ThaGr81
posted on 19 Jun 2013, 00:07 (Posts: 294; Member since: 26 May 2011)

The smartphone without equal

Larry_ThaGr81 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is hands down the best phone I've ever owned. I've owned the Original Droid, Droid X, Droid 3, HTC Thunderbolt and HTC Rezound. From my history of phones you can tell that they usually don't last long, but this phone is damn near perfect and I anticipate it lasting me until the Note IV comes out.

Build quality 9/10 Fills slippery in the hand due to the plastic casing.
Reception 9/10 I haven't had dropped call yet, but the reception could be better at times.
Call quality 10/10 Calls sound perfect on my end and I haven't received a single complaint from others that I talk to regarding call quality.
Internet 10/10 Very fast and smooth.
Multimedia 10/10 It has more multimedia features than I know what to do with. The stylus features is what puts this phone ahead of the competition.
Camera 9/10 It could be better in low light conditions, but all camera phones suffer in low light conditions.
UI speed 10/10 This is the smoothest UI I've ever had the opportunity to use.
Everyday usage 10/10 I have such a hard time putting this phone down that I often find myself trying to figure out what I can do on it aside from playing games.
Text input 10/10 I wish all keyboards came with a separate numbers row.
Display 9/10 The best I've owned to date. All this hype around 1080p resolution is ridiculous. However, it could be a little brighter for outdoor usage.
Battery 10/10 A phone that can easily last me more than a day under heavy usage and last me two to three under light usage deserves the highest marks.

Pros

Cons

• Outdoor visibility

Larry_ThaGr81 alternatives:

Waffleny
posted on 17 Feb 2013, 19:20 (Posts: 11; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)

Words can't describe....

Waffleny has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I switched from Sprint *gag* to Verizon less than a month ago, chiefly for the sake of coverage (lived on a Sprint dead zone.... I now get 4G LTE+ with Verizon). When it came down to choice of device, I wasn't decided as I walked in the door. I was considering the very popular mobile titan that is the Galaxy S III, but after seeing all the other fancy and shiny choices, I was at a crossroads. Eventually, I made my way to the Samsung section, and saw the gorgeous Note II. The only thing I disliked about the S III was its shape, that ugly ovular pebble like build. As soon as I saw the rounded rectangle design of the Note II in person I fell in love. After playing with its glam features on the display model for 5 minutes, I really had my mind made up. Oh and I don't really have much to say about the S-pen. It's very useful for creating long messages using swype typing. It provides superior control for drawing, which is complimented by the awesome screen. It can be used in most stock applications, and proves to be a handy luxury at trying moments. I bought it with a 2 year contract, and also purchased an otter-box case, seeing as it was as thin as 4 sheets of stacked construction paper, and I don't trust myself haha. I just... I really can't tell you how great this phone is. Really. I've owned a few Motorola Androids, the HTC EVO 3D, and a slurry of pre-droid feature phones. Mark my words, nothing has come close to the indescribable quality of this phone. It will forever have a special...

Build quality 9/10 The plastic build could be seen as "cheap", but honestly, I think it's perfect. The backing is a bit hard to remove, but besides that, flawless
Reception 10/10 4G LTE (verizon) EvErYwHeRe. Consisten 20+ MBPS speeds. Never lost reception once, reliable and fast always.
Call quality 9/10 Incoming voices sound clear as landline, and outgoing voices sound just as nice
Multimedia 10/10 Videos, pictures, notes, documents, everything. All so easy to share. Everything I've thrown at it has been supported. Polaris office comes on board. Awesome.
Camera 10/10 Pictures come out with quality comparable to my Canon Rebel T3i DSLR (quite the expensive camera) and the autofocus can even outperform the Rebel in some cases. Flash is bright, yet never washes out colors. Blurring can be noticed, but doesn't happen very often. Video is literally astonishing. Detail is amazing, frame rate is constant, slow down is rare or nonexistent. There's also slow motion capture (as slow as 1/8th speed) and fast motion capture (as fast as 800%). The video I took of playing
UI speed 9/10 From afar, the Samsung Nature UI seemed to look sort of lame and rather elementary, almost a downgrade to stock android. But after a day of using it, I fell head over heels in love. Gorgeous in every way. Fast, efficient, complex yet simple, this UI is something that really grew on me.
Everyday usage 9/10 The Note II Is the definition of what I would call an every day device. Reliable service, easy usage, never running into any problems, the large screen is great for typing messages, drawing pictures, watching videos, reading documents, we surfing, EVERYTHING. Perfect size. At first it seemed a bit overly large, but now I believe it's the best size one could have. Big enough to do anything, small enough to do anything.
Text input 10/10 The sheer size of the display always provides easy input. Portrait typing can be done using one hand, but 2 would be preferred. Landscape is a bit.... large, but usable. On my old EVO 3D I depended on autocorrect features to make sure I didn't send messages full of errors, but with the Note II, I make maybe one error every thousand characters. the S-pen also helps with swype typing.
Display 10/10 Big. Beautiful. Great viewing angles. Perfect size between phone and tablet. Big enough to do anything, but small enough to keep with you. Details are sharp, colors are QUITE vivid, white is bright and black is breathtakingly deep.
Battery 10/10 The 3100 mah monster in this phone could probably power a hybrid for 500 miles. Joking aside, draining this beast is a challenge. A full day of heavy usage (taking pictures & video, 4G LTE enabled, sending/receiving email, listening to music, constant texting/calling, etc) can only bring it down to maybe 20% at the end of the day. Lowest it has ever been down to was 17% after forgetting to charge the night before. A w e s o m e.

Pros

• Everything. Really, everything
  • fast
  • easy
  • gorgeous
  • future proof
  • nearly flawless

Cons

• can't put it down :/

Waffleny alternatives:

prettysenshi
posted on 01 Feb 2013, 17:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)

Disappointed

prettysenshi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I had really high hopes for this phone. I did, and I was extremely excited to purchase this phone, but I was extremely disappointed. The first Note that I had, there was some sort of distortion regarding whenever the other person spoke on the phone, which would quit as soon as they stopped talking. Took it back in and exchanged it out, new one is even worse than the previous one.

The second thing is the multi-window (multi-task) and how each carrier can limit and choose the apps they display on it. Not too through, especially when there are only 5-6 apps that work, even though certain apps like facebook have it already built in. You can't drag and drop it into the multiwindow bar. Tightly sealed off with Verizon and each carrier.

The deal breaker that is making me return it permanently is the camera. I had high hopes with everything. Needless to say, the camera is cruddy and even in good lightening the pictures come out blurry and pixilated/grainy. And before anyone asks, I have changed the settings dozens of time, tried third-party camera apps and nothing will work simply because it's the hardware itself. I think Samsung had a good idea of what people wanted, but poorly executed it. I previously had a Droid X (which was stolen) and loved the quality of everything, the phone, and the camera. Only downside was it was 3G. Upgraded to the Droid Razr, pretty good phone, ended up trading it for the iPhone 4 which I ended up cracking the screen and replaced it with the Note 2, which...

Reception 10/10 Never had to worry about not having service
Call quality 4/10 Some sort of distortion/static when other person spoke, disappeared when they stopped. On every single phone call, both outgoing and incoming.
Camera 1/10 Low grade image quailty, blurry and grainy, no matter the settings. Gave either a blue tint or a brownish hue not even close to true colors.

parnav
posted on 01 Feb 2013, 02:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)

SUPERB......

parnav has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Superb phone...... must use it! this devices quenches the thirst smartphone and tablet.....
Samsung as we all know produces auspicious technologies and mind freaking gadgets
Smartphone that makes it useful in every aspects and tastes..... so dude make ur way to this smartphone!

Build quality 10/10 becoz i hv used it!

Pros

• Amazing phone to serve all purposes

Cons

• no cons atleast for me

PhoneUser
posted on 18 Jan 2013, 18:06 (Posts: 77; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)

Best Phone EVER!!!

PhoneUser has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have yet to find anything wrong with this phone. I was worried that the size was going to be a problem but after 2 days i got used to the phone and now every other "regular' size phones looks and feels tiny in my hands.

Pros

• EVERYTHING

Cons

• NOTHING

corymcnutt
posted on 02 Jan 2013, 16:26 (Posts: 13; Member since: 01 Oct 2009)

Best Phone I Have Ever Owned!

corymcnutt has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The Note 2 is absolutely a dream phone - large screen, good battery life, S-Pen for Note taking and drawing, Great Camera, nice software package, good reception and sound. It is the FASTEST and smoothest phone out there. If the size does not bother you, this is THE phone to own.

Build quality 9/10 Plastic and do not like the Home, push button; just something to break.
Reception 9/10 I have fairly good bars in weak signal areas.
Call quality 9/10 For the most part I can hear very well and the speaker phone works well.
Internet 10/10 Great internet connectivity, whether 4G LTE or wi-fi.
Multimedia 9/10 Could use a better music player - I use ProPlayer, much nicer, more options.
Camera 9/10 Excellent camera and options.
UI speed 10/10 Super fast and smooth as butter.
Everyday usage 10/10 The best phone I have ever used - the Note 2 makes it easy to do whatever it is you want too.
Text input 9/10 I use 2 hands to text so the size of the phone doesn't bother me.
Display 9/10 Absolutely beautiful and BIG - makes reading very easy and colors are great. I would like better outdoors viewing.
Battery 10/10 The best service I have ever had and mine is on all day long.

Pros

• Large Screen
  • Great Battery Life
  • S-Pen is awesome
  • A true Phablet!

Cons

• Better outdoor viewing.

AbsoluteDude
posted on 02 Jan 2013, 06:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)

Best Phone I've Ever Had!

AbsoluteDude has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have Blackberrys, went to Android, then to Apple, and then back to Android and with this phone I'll never leave Android ever again! Absolutely love this phone! The Screen is huge and amazing and the battery life is awesome. Believe me, this phone is super fast with no lag at all. The stylus is flawless and responsive. The camera quality is clear and shoots quick. Call quality is clear and the internet speeds out does all the phones I've ever owned. Get this phone, its light and durable and you will not be disappointed.

Pros

• Huge Clear Screen
  • Great Battery Life
  • Awesome Camera and Video
  • Call Quality is Clear
  • NIce UI
  • Stylus is Accurate and Responsive
  • Great Multi-tasking Speed
  • Sturdy and Durable

Cons

• Haven't Found One.

AbsoluteDude alternatives:

nopayne
posted on 02 Jan 2013, 04:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)

the best

nopayne has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I think this is by far the best device on the market right now. Everything works so smooth and a big pretty display makes it easy to see and use, 5.5" makes it really easy for me then you have 1 handed option can't get any better

Pros

• its all positive

Cons

• can't find any

nopayne alternatives: