x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung GALAXY Nexus Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Will the GPU be a problem?

ladnum 19 Oct 2011, 07:35 posted on

I have heard the GPU in GALAXY nexus are to be quite low powered. But, will this be a problem, or will it handle games and other apps as good as the SGS2?

Thank's for responding.

posted on 20 Oct 2011, 12:10 3

1. Zacisblack (Posts: 2; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)

No. The PowerVR SGX540 GPU was first introduced last year on the iPad 1. It was later introduced in the Galaxy S series which was the most powerful GPU on the market because it was clocked higher than the iPad 1's GPU. To give you perspective, the same GPU in the Galaxy Nexus is clocked about twice that of the original Galaxy S series. So, it's going to be very fast. It would be nice if it was dual-core but it would also be a little slower if it was. Android is more CPU intensive that's why they tend to have weaker GPUs than iOS devices and faster CPUs. On the other hand, Apple devices are GPU intensive and that's why they don't need as strong of a CPU. Since iOS uses such little system resources, the iPhone 4S is basically overkill. If Apple was to add a quad-core CPU and GPU in the iPhone 5 there would literally be no noticeable difference between that and the 4S unless you are playing games. And who wants to play games on that tiny screen?

posted on 22 Oct 2011, 10:35 2

2. ladnum (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)

This was what I needed to hear :D Thank you :)

posted on 26 Oct 2011, 11:34 1

3. Synack (Posts: 669; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)

I second this, the GPU is overclocked almost twice as fast as it normally is (386Mhz), and it was underclocked in the iPad (

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories