Samsung Epic 4G User Reviews

Camera8.9/10
Multimedia8.5/10
Internet8.8/10

SteveKnows
posted on 02 May 2012, 12:05 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 May 2012)

All in All once of the Best Phones I've Owned

SteveKnows has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Ive been pretty happy with this phone. Its reliable and durable and has a great screen. I would love to own an iphone but deal is no way im using an on-screen keyboard - HATE them... gotta say this phone has swype and I have even found that with that feature i probably use the on screen kybd 25% of the time which is incredible for me. I Love the way swype works... the phone does crash for me at least once a day ( sometimes three times ).. but then again these arent phones as much as mini computers so i guess its expected. camera quality is decent just dont like how slow it is at times... also have had some problems when I needed major software updates - afterwards needed to take the phone in at least twice and they needed to re-set it which means i had to re-load all my mail and apps.. P.I.T.A. All said tho for everything the phone does im very happy with it..formerly had the Palm Pre - LOVED the operating system.. .(mutilple windows open at once was CLUTCH).... BUT other than the kewl size HATED the entire rest of the phone..

Reception 8/10 I pay for 4G but cannot get it. the reception is a bit worse in certain areas than past phones
Battery 7/10 battery life is not the greatest to make it the entire day need to plug it in at 3:00 in the afternoon

Pros

• Android system
  • Great quality screen
  • excellent pull out keyboard
  • Swype for on screen keybd is killer
  • upgradable SD card slot
  • durable

Cons

• crashes about once a day
  • camera interface is SLOW
  • a bit large and bulky
  • adaptor plug area on top is irritating

mash77th
posted on 01 Nov 2011, 11:16 (Posts: 7; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)

Samsung Epic Review

mash77th has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The only things I would add is better reception in my subdivision and have a video out but other than that the phone is great. The keyboard is great and the talk to text works almost everytime. I really have nothing bad to say about this phone. Probably the best phone I had. If it had direct connect it would be perfect.

Reception 8/10 When i am in sprint area it works great. does not work well in my actual subdivision. I had to get sprint to send me and airwave for my home.
Battery 9/10 Once you learn your phone the battery last all day for me.

xadonxander
posted on 02 Oct 2011, 13:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 02 Oct 2011)

The Epic has been the worst phone I have ever owned.

xadonxander has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had the Epic for almost a year. It broke three months after purchase from overheating while using GPS for navigation. I sent it to Samsung so I did not have to pay $35 for a refurb phone from sprint since it was only a few months old. Samsung kept my phone for 6 weeks and I was forced to pay for service through sprint which I did not receive. I was recently using my phone for navigation again while driving through Denver and it did it again. The phone said GPS LOST, went into airplane mode, then shut down and will not power on. When I press the power button the blue light on the front comes on, the camera flash sometimes comes on while I hold the power button, soon after I let the button go all the lights turn off. If I plug in the usb cable the lights on the phone strobe the whole time its plugged in. The phone will not display anything on the screen. I am reluctant to send it to Samsung again for another 6 week turn around. I am very disappointed with the quality of this Samsung phone. At $250, being the most expensive phone sprint sells, it should last longer than a few months.

I have no experience with other Samsung mobile devices, but Samsung has been very slow with updates, Unlike their competition we have to wait 6 month more than they do. Then when we get the update its worse than the original firmware. Samsung promises fixes and they only provide a headache.

When I call Samsung support no one speaks English. Everything I say they reply "I understand" or "I...

Call quality 7/10 Has an echo from time to time
Internet 6/10 3g performance is slow at best, No 4g even when in 4g network area. turns transmitters off randomly.
Multimedia 5/10 SLOW!!!
Camera 10/10 This is the best part of the phone. I even quit taking my 12mp camera with me.
UI speed 3/10 serious lag when switching to landscape mode
Everyday usage 4/10 phone is not reliable, force closes several applications while in use every day. phone overheats, looses signal, goes into airplane mode and need to restart it to get the transmitters to turn back on.
Text input 9/10 like swipe, the keyboard, and voice to text.
Display 8/10 good resolution, its a little hard to see in sunlight
Battery 3/10 when the phone overheats the battery lasts less than 30 mins, if charging in the phone will still go dead if it is in use

Pros

• display
  • keyboard

Cons

• poor quality
  • overheating
  • not reliable
  • lack of updates
  • long repair time
  • no 4g reception in 4g area
  • poor battery life

rcr
posted on 19 Jul 2011, 08:03

user

rcr has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Samsung epic is still 1 of the greatest
Battery life is better than most of the android phones & I love it
Its something that I can't understand smeone said it & I also would like to know why this phone didn't get promotion as the evo did. This phone is as good or better than evo 4g I'll also like to see the epic 4g on 2.3.

Andrewwwwww
posted on 22 May 2011, 08:20

Almost LOVE IT

Andrewwwwww has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had this phone for a week now and love it. I've done just about everything you can do with it-talked-texted-browsed-navigated-listen to music-play games-download apps-etc. My only complaint is the battery life. I need to recharge it multiple times a day.

Everyday usage 6/10 inconvenience of having to recharge battery.
Battery 5/10 drains tooooooooo quickly.

Dani yo
posted on 05 May 2011, 09:58

The Epic

Dani yo has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got this thing the day b4 Valentines Day, and i LOVE IT only thing is.. Speaker sound is HORRIBLE at times, headphone jack is TIGHT af, battery is BAD. 3g is slow front facing camera is meh. i dont see the point in the sliding cover for USB port. GETS SUPER HOT!!!!!! maybe my fault for running the wireless tether and charging at the same time tho D: At times i wish i would have gotten a full touch phone.. the on screen keyboard is awesome. i actually rarely use the qwerty board. and im a heavy texter

Build quality 8/10 feels a little cheap compared to other phones
Camera 7/10 the front facing one is meh
UI speed 10/10 super fast
Everyday usage 9/10 wish battery was better
Text input 10/10 on screen... great. keyboard FANTASTIC
Display 10/10 holy crap its GOOD!
Battery 7/10 its not to great

Pros

• That display. :3
  • keyboard is great
  • free wireless tether :3 (with root of course)

Cons

• gets super hot while tethering and charging at same time.
  • a temp of 117 on a phone can not be good
  • came with touch wiz...

Dani yo alternatives:

mperez
posted on 22 Apr 2011, 09:33

love it better than iphone...!

mperez has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i had the iphone 4 then i got a phone at work and they have sprint.. i was not sure if i could go from the Iphone to another one, and i am happy to say this phone just might be better.... it has a better screen and an awsome screen! there is almost no lag when i am playing and it also has great apps! wqhy has this phone not gotten as much promo as the evo?? it is just as good but the camera is where the evo has it beat.... over all my favorite ever!! if u use internet alot you will want to invest in another battery and an external charger....

Pros

• awsome screen! easy to use!

Cons

• battery...not to bad

mperez alternatives:

youngesavage
posted on 17 Apr 2011, 17:07 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Apr 2011)

An epic phone

youngesavage has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had the Epic4g for about two weeks now. After putting through every function I can think of using I am highly impressed with this phone. I rarely encountered lag and that was only when the phone was doing heavy operations. The only problem is the battery but that is an issue with all these high end phones now. While buying the phone and associate to who I was speaking insisted on getting a car charger. I was also a little sad about the build quality. Even though partly my fault for not buying a phone cover. I have dropped my phone twice from distances less than three feet above the ground. Both resulted in minor chips to and bottom of the phone. I'm not expecting a fortress but I do believe it should be a little more resistant. My area has had excellent reception I haven't had one dropped call and the call quality and very good most of the time. Thanks to the recently Froyo(Android 2.2) upgrade my internet is very enjoyable. 4g coverage has not reached my area yet, Northwest Florida but I have been informed it will be here by the end of the year. I would like to see more customization features with the multimedia features such as better editing commands for music. The camera has been excellent with the samples I have made of it. The UI experiences the minimalist amount of lag 99 percent of the time no lag is visible. One of my main reasons for choosing the Epic was its physical keyboard.

Camera 10/10 High quality photos

Pros

• Front facing camera
  • 4g where available
  • Super display

Cons

• With minimal use battery usually gets half a day.

Ncruze
posted on 13 Apr 2011, 11:31 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Feb 2011)

I Cant Believe Samsung Pulled It Off!!

Ncruze has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I cant believe Samsung pulled it off! Wait..why isnt the mobile industry talking about this phone!!!??

I swore i would never go back to another samsung device but WOW! The super amoled display rivals iphones retina, the speaker phone, camera and physical keyboard is surpassed expectation. Even the batter life is moderate for a device of this size and stature. Im just surprised right now. Call quality was lucid and pristine! Even though the phone does feel like it's made from cheap plastic but it counters that with it being ultra light giving it a solid feel to hold.

Pros

• Camera, Physical Qwerty Keyboard(best on any mobile device)
  • Amoled screen, Speakerphone

Cons

• Battery could be better, expensive

jesspina
posted on 04 Apr 2011, 11:47

this epic, is EPIC.

jesspina has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

the samsung epic is great. the ONLY thing i dont like about it is the battery. but then again it never leaves my hand, and i never shut it off. the color is great. big, spacious keyboard works like a charm. and the swype is the shit ! it amazes me. the internet is fast. the apps are great. it all around is an amazing phone, and i would recommend it to anybody.

Pros

• everything except >

Cons

• battery.

Sonorguy
posted on 16 Mar 2011, 18:51

Fantastic

Sonorguy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

To be honest, I was expecting terrible battery and bad UI (touchwiz) to accompany blazing fast response times and a beautiful screen. Initially, the battery life seemed true (about 6 hours), but I was pleasantly surprised by the UI. I don't understand why people are slamming touchwiz, even my friends with Evos and Droid 2s comment on how nice it is. The launcher is not impressive, however, I recommend GO Launcher EX. After the "new phone" factor wore off and I messed around with settings, my battery life is excellent. I get between 7 and 9 hours with HEAVY use (SNESOID, texting, watching videos, long phone calls, etc.), and around 60 hours with only the rare text. This far exceeded my expectations, and I expect it to get better as I just rooted my phone today.

The phone is very responsive, my friend with an iphone 4 said the scrolling and sensitivity equaled his phone's. With the included 16 GB microSD card and Froyo, I have more space than I anticipate ever needing. The screen truly is gorgeous and, unlike other phones, when you touch the screen, it seems like you are really interfacing with the OS, as opposed to other phones with an obvious layer of glass in the way. I can't comment on the GPS issues, as I never experienced them. The build quality is great, except for this one spot on the back cover near the camera button where it will creak if you press on it. I like how light the phone is, a con for many reviewers, so I guess YMMV.

• Speed, speed speed
  • Weight
  • SCREEN!
  • Browsing is speedy

Cons

• Screen rotation slow since Froyo update
  • Sometime got the infamous "no signal" battery hog

kbcbs616
posted on 07 Feb 2011, 21:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)

its like taking a couple kids happiness for yourself

kbcbs616 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Excellent phone. I love it so much I don't even need to root it. It lives up to the hype of my friends, enemies, and commercials. Its the most efficient product that I have bought in years. well worth the monies. the 16GB microsd was extra buttering. I was already sold. Please buy one of these and share my happiness.

Build quality 9/10 perfect for big handed enthusiests
Reception 10/10 no dropped calls. no loss of call quality. so stable.
Call quality 10/10 ditto from above^
Internet 8/10 androids internet is not as great as my old custom htc touch pro.
Multimedia 9/10 it can handle a donkey load of running tasks.
Camera 8/10 needs optimization. but durable through apps. auto focus is not enough sometimes.
UI speed 9/10 best phone response I've ever encountered.
Everyday usage 10/10 I'm using it as I type. and maybe in my sleep too.
Text input 8/10 perfect fit for big hands. the keyboard is god-sent. touching the screen is something different.
Display 10/10 super amoled. i look into the screen after waking up without complaints
Battery 10/10 Lasts at least a day and a half with normal use. perfect.

Pros

• basically everything
  • best phone I've ever had.

Cons

• Samsung propriety charger. but you know. obvious.
  • head phone jack is too tight. more than the normal force is needed to use it.
  • copy/paste is normal=lacking. though still better than I-phones
  • cameras config.

kbcbs616 alternatives:

frankie z
posted on 27 Jan 2011, 10:17

epic 4fail

frankie z has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

updates are few and far between while the rest of the smart phones are on ginger bread I'm still waiting for flash and froyo .
spent allot of money on it and getting little back for it , getting charged an extra $10 a month for data while every other phone with the same plan doesn't is a total ripp off , really regretting not going with the nexus 1 like I originally planed on ,. oh well live and learn

Build quality 8/10 very nice build a little cheap on the usb port cover and peripheral inputs
Call quality 8/10 speaker phone quality can be improved , touch screen buttons get activated while holding the phone up to your ear
Internet 7/10 browser is buggy and clunky - firefox is better but doesnt integrate everything yet
Multimedia 5/10 No flv
Camera 7/10 poor UI hard to know what quality picture your taking ,
UI speed 5/10 clunky interface looks nice but doesnt respond well. lots of lag between icon animation and actual hardware usage
Everyday usage 5/10 always have to be extra carful not to acidentaly open the keyboard USB charger input seems like it's always ready to break if you pull to hard.
Text input 9/10 keyboard works great
Display 9/10 nice screen beat part aboubt the phone
Battery 6/10 has decent battery life can always be better

Pros

• looks good ,
  • screen is best I have seen ,
  • has a full keyboard with menue buttons
  • lots of apps

Cons

• bulky ,
  • No updates(so far behind on updates I doubt there will be any)
  • UI needs work ,

rambo2354
posted on 30 Dec 2010, 16:18

amazing

rambo2354 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

love the phone cant find not one bad thing to say about it. i had a moment for about 4 months and the phone continued to freeze and i got tired of having to take it back to the sprint customer service center. so i got the epic and i havent had any problems with the phone yet

Pros

• phone never freezes

tyler
posted on 18 Dec 2010, 11:33

amazing

tyler has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

if u plug the phone in at night u wont have a problem with it going dead..duh as with any smart phone unless u want to haul a car battery around u wont have alot of battery life. i was looking at getting an evo but the salesman at the store showed me the epic and it was love at first sight. fast responsive and simply epic.

Ronnie Schuman
posted on 01 Dec 2010, 06:43

VP

Ronnie Schuman has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Battery Sucks. If you use your Kindle Application, you get 2 hrs of reading time before it shuts down. This is terrible. I also can not leave it on the night stand as an alarm without the battery running out.

The camera is great and the internet is good.

I have had trouble with the MAPS Application not working in one of their largest cities. Do not try to get help from Sprint as they are the most non-respopnsive organization I have ever dealt with.

LizzieBee
posted on 13 Nov 2010, 15:52

9.5

Samsung Epic is Epic

LizzieBee has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

All Imma Say is; AMAZING phone. Its great. The apps are awesome; internets fast. The touch screen is super reactive. Great camera. I love everything about ittt. Its 100% wonderful. But the keyboards a bit big. Nom

alyciaanneiam
posted on 03 Nov 2010, 16:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Nov 2010)

This is the best phone ever!

alyciaanneiam has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had sprint since I can remember and all of their phones have basically sucked. But this phone is absolutely fantastic. With the android market you can download an app that helps improve battery life, because the life does drain quickly--because you are always using it! It's really easy to navigate and you get the hang of how the phone works very quickly. The live backgrounds are so cool too!
Also you need to actually use your finger in order to use so no accidental texting or phone calls happens. Along with the addition of a lock code to use your phone butt dialing never happens!

Dan25941
posted on 02 Nov 2010, 20:18

Samsung Epic Battery Life

Dan25941 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The phone is a great phone and has many features but you can not use them for lone unless you are near a power source. Samsung really dropped the ball with this phone. I turn off everything and turn the bright screen ( that you can't use ) to the lowest brightness. As long as you don't use the phone or you plug it in everything is wonderful. I know a lot of you out there are going to disagree with my review and put up with the battery life but why not use a computer if it has to be plugged in all the time. I can not make it 8 hours without plugging it in.

Everyday usage 2/10 Battery dies when you need it most
Display 2/10 Great display but you can't use it unless it is plugged in.
Battery 2/10 will not make 8 hours without plugging it in

Pros

• Great phone when it has power

Cons

• Battery Life is terrible

Erinn j
posted on 09 Oct 2010, 15:32

NOT EVERY PHONE IS PERFECT

I've had this phone for close to a month now and I can say even though the epic isn't perfect, it's the best phone I've ever had. I have never been able to do EVERYTHING  I have wanted to do on a phone before until now. I can send and receive email seamlessly, play games with little to no problems, check all my fantasy football teams and make rotser changes, watch movies in high quality, use navigation without a problem, listen to music with awsome sound quality, and lastly make and receive calls clearly. Yes, the phone can get very hot when I do a lot of the things I just mentioned, yes I do have to charge this phone more often than the other phones I've had in the past, and yes, I do get some lag and may have to take my battery out and put it back in at times because it will freeze. With all that being said....this is a phone I'm talking about, not a laptop, not a psp, not an ipod A PHONE. THIS IS AN AWSOME PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• SOUND QUALITY
  • VIVID COLORS
  • DURABLE
  • NICE SIZE

Cons

• GETS HOT WHEN IM ON THE INTERNET FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR

Bob OM
posted on 29 Sep 2010, 14:28

I love this phone I have had it for a week and it is a gem -- great screen quality -- calls are crips and clear.  The options are unbelievable. I have no issues with the battery you just have to go into settings and adjust -- you do not need GPS on all the time and do you really need all the icons you have on the main screen -- think about it.  There are many things people leave on that they dont need. With the great screen you can lower resolution way down. I just cannot believe how quick it is even in 3G. Love that you have seven screens to layout your icons/androids. Has a slick feel in the hand, very comfortable to hold.

Pros

• screen -- clear and vivid
  • speed of downloads
  • over-all perfromance

Cons

• Slide out keyboard has too quick action

FSH
posted on 29 Sep 2010, 08:33

Ummmm?

I just picked this phone up yesterday from the sprint store in my area.  Was excited to get ahold of the phone.  Gave it a full charge before unleashing the power of 4G.  Well less than 12 hrs later the phone was completely dead.  Missed my alarm for work ugh!  Any background apps were shut down before i went to sleep.  So the battery life is poor.  The processor seems to get hung up with simple tasks.  The phone froze on my about 5 times already.  I really was expecting something that didnt miss a beat.  For 500 bucks (with contract) this just doesnt cut it.  On the other hand the screen i just brilliant!

• LED flash
  • WiFi

• Freezes up often
  • 4G continuously drops

posted on 26 Sep 2010, 10:03

Pros Outweigh So So Call Quality

To answer a question, do people accept so so sound quality on a high end device, yes.  People also accept charging a phone every 4 hours on a high end device (EVO) and power cycling on a high end device (EVO and some DROID X's).  Pick your poision.  Do you want an high end device?  Since they all have flaws, which flaw do you find the least  disruptive?  I'm spoiled with the call quality of the Samsung Moment and I expected the EPIC to be near that.  I can honestly say that the features of the EPIC outweigh the so so call quality for me and many other people.  I have found that a good 'noise cancellation' bluetooth improves the call quality.   I agree with the so so call quality , but I could always understand my callers and they could always understand me, even if muffled at times.  Now onto the good stuff.THE phone is fast and smooth in its operation.  The interface is actually nice, the widgets are useful.  I like the SENSE UI, but I find that I use more of the TouchWhiz widgets than SENSE.  Samsung put some thought into this interface and it's nice.The screen is amazing.  THe camera takes great pictures all the time, whereas with the EVO's (8MP) sometimes the shots were great and many times they were a mess, must be me.  THE battery lasts me all day.  The music is great.  The keyboard is nice, although...

• interface
  • keyboard
  • SWYPE
  • SUPER AMOLED display
  • 4G
  • Sprint Data plan

Cons

• so so call quality

the phone guy
posted on 16 Sep 2010, 11:34

the greatet phone not a smartphone but super smart phone

ok so this phone has it all. hd data speends fast as hell 16gb card yes there is 10fee that sprint but i see the why the data is faster then before its like they open the pipes 100% and said her pay this and have a good day if you think about its still cheaper then vzv atat by far i have ata and the iphone and i was p[aying 120.00 a month for one phone that was f up not oi pay less then 100.00 10.00 so what

Pros

• all

posted on 12 Sep 2010, 11:41

I LOVE this phone!!! I upgraded from the blackberry tour which is rather boring if your not a top executive or celebrity. I get all my emails, facebook, and tweets up to date and on point. I have no idea what the previous reviews were talking about when they said they don't receive theirs on time. My call quality is also great!! I do not sound muffled to anyone and nor do they. My pictures are also very GREAT quality. In fact its better than my current digital camera. The movies I watch on this phone look just as good as my flat screen at home!! You cant beat this phone!!! The only problem I have is the $10 fee sprint charges every month. I have no idea what this is for and I think it is completely useless!!!

• Fast internet access
  • Full key board and touch screen option

Cons

• No 4G in my area yet

Buy This Phone