x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung Epic 4G Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Battery life

RiverFootball12 28 Jul 2010, 23:20 posted on

The only thing I care about is the battery life... Is it better than the Evo?

posted on 29 Jul 2010, 23:46

1. csavage23 (Posts: 8; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)

Yes it is a lot better than the evo due to the screen for one because the evo screen is a tft which used more power than the sport amoled does so that's a big plus

posted on 04 Aug 2010, 18:33

2. M3rkSauce (Posts: 10; Member since: 19 May 2010)

Agreed, the battery life will be much better than the EVO. But what people dont realize is that they can fix the battery problem with the EVO if they know how to use it right. Like disabling google talk (noone uses this, and if they do they're stupid =p ) .. also simple apps shuch as task killer and droidbattery help TEMENDOUSLY. On another note, the EPIC is going to be amazing. I can't wait!!!

posted on 03 Nov 2010, 16:38

3. jrim (unregistered)

i have an epic and the my battery drains in about 9 hours...........idk if thats better than the evo but its making me angry. overall the epic is amazing but the battery life brings down what would have been a 5 star rating to a 3.

posted on 06 Nov 2010, 20:54

4. jjj444 (unregistered)

the battery life of both of these phones is not good at all....max. 6-7 hrs....very frustrating..and if you actually are using the phone, playing games or using any other app. then its not even 4 hrs.

posted on 17 Nov 2010, 14:28

5. JLBME98 (unregistered)

The Last two are incorrect. The battery life on this phone is amazing. Stock out of the box it is just ok like they say. There are simple things that can be done that will dramatically increase battery life. I used to be upset about battery life but after the last update and doing the tips that they suggested on android epic 4g forums I can go for more than a day without plugging in and I am a monster user (games internet the whole nine). I am not an epic or android fanboy either. It is an excellent phone just needs to get 2.2 so that I can look at flash websites. Flash Lite is garbage and only good for ads truthfully.

posted on 18 Nov 2010, 13:47

6. Savannah (unregistered)

Im looking for a new phone, and im interested in the Samsung Epic 4G but im wondering if it has good battery life, i had the Android phone before and the battery wouldnt last at all, maybe 3 to 4 hours....is this phone really worth getting?

posted on 02 Dec 2010, 12:39

8. chainlink (unregistered)

I got on my epic this morning at 7. Made some calls, txted a few people, read some news sites like cnn.com, played a few rounds of angry birds and my battery is dead. Its noon. I used advanced task killer throughout the morning. But this battery still sux.

posted on 08 Dec 2010, 11:11

9. boomerman (unregistered)

battery life sucks on the epic 4g even with task killer...period

posted on 08 Dec 2010, 15:46

10. chris (unregistered)

Use advanced task killer. Set to aggressive and to auto kill every 1 hour. Keep your GPS, and WIFI off unless using it and your brightness to zero.

Make calls, surf the web, play games....over 24 hours of life.

posted on 08 Dec 2010, 18:49

11. nicole (unregistered)

im not getting the epic till friday but i already have an android phone already and it didnt last me my school day, but i looked up some suggestions on how to keep life a little longer. you can turn your screen down all the way [on my phone it doesnt look different to me]. and turn gps off. also an app called CacheMate theres a free version and one to buy, you can get it for free with an app called 4shred though:)

posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:12

12. Matt (unregistered)

Some tips:
1) Go to Settings > Applications > Running Services > Disable the DRM and Media Hub related services.
2) Set screen to lowest resolution
3) Use Touch Wiz Running Programs Widget and make sure no actively running applications are running in the background
4) Get advanced task killer, turn on and kill selected tasks making sure that everything is check-boxed including task killer itself.
5) When Wireless networks are available make sure you use them and use the following setting: Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi Settings > Hit Menu Key and > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Select option "Never". This will prevent your phone from shutting off the wifi connection while asleep, this will save battery for two reasons: First Wifi takes less battery than 3G, second because it will not need to restart the wifi service and re-establish the connection every time you turn the screen on.

You should get no less than 12 hours of mixed use out of this bad boy.

posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:14

13. Matt (unregistered)

Above when I said resolution I actually meant brightness. My Bad.

posted on 14 Dec 2010, 13:09

14. yoda (unregistered)

after i rooted my phone and turn my phone into a hot spot i downloaded juice defender and my phone battery life is running up to 14hours straight even when the phone battery is flashing u got 30 to 40min to get to a charger... if you want to walk u through the process Email me at mon-e-maker@hotmail.com .

posted on 05 Jan 2011, 13:36

15. SprintInsider (unregistered)

DONT USE TASK KILLERS ON YOUR ANDROID DEVICES!

android has a built in task killer already, 3rd party apps that are task killers ruin the functionality of the devices. They are a good idea in theory, and theory only.
Androids will close down tasks as they arent being used. Not always instantly, but 3rd party apps will kill android processes that are crutial to the functionality of the phone

posted on 12 Jan 2011, 13:49

16. Serge (unregistered)

SprintInsider I have a question for yach. do you know anything about opensource/linux?

posted on 15 Feb 2011, 22:21

17. babzy59 (unregistered)

The 1st day I used my epic, the battery was gone after 8 hours. I've gone thru all the steps to extend battery life and it does work. I use the samsung widget program monitor to kill all apps when I am done with them. I set wifi to always on. BTW it was hard to find till I read the steps and use the hidden advanced mode key.I also use the android widget called power control. Also have brightness set to auto. I am very satisfied with this phone now. They should give you a stronger battery with purchase or tell you how to conserve the battery in the owners manual.

posted on 21 Feb 2011, 13:46

18. BoloPrime (unregistered)

I know this thread may be a bit stale, but I got some good comparisons
done with a friend's Captivate and another friend's Epic.
BLUF: Chinese made batteries suck horribly.
Pretty much, they all had the same optimizations done and we were all pretty much doing the same battery-sucking stuff (I.e. playing Angry Birds Seasons). My Epic and the Captivate lasted a little over an hour. The other Epic had 65% battery. My friend with the Captivate bought two spare batteries, both Samsung 1500mAH, and one was Korean manufacture and one was Japanese. Swapped out the cheap, POS chinese cells, and an hour of Angry Birds later, we were still over 70%. Cracked the other Epic open and found out that our two Epics, bought on the same day at the same store, had Samsung batteries made in two different countries... his was Korean, I got screwed with Red Chinese garbage.

posted on 22 Feb 2011, 13:23

19. chip (unregistered)

use juicy defender app...will solve the problem with battery life

posted on 01 Mar 2011, 06:19

20. rainj12 (unregistered)

Matt...thanks for those hints abt saving batt life. I will try it out. One thing I didn't understand is he touch wiz progam widget...could u explain how I use tht or where I use that one? Thanks

Amandafi

posted on 10 Mar 2011, 09:40

21. Cancantucan (unregistered)

DONT DOWNLOAD THE ANDROID ADVANCED TASK KILLER! it opens up applications and has them running in the background. Its better to use the task manager that comes with the phone.

posted on 22 May 2011, 04:09

22. David d (unregistered)

i demand somebody show me a smart phone that lasts days on a single charge like all of you seem to expect. get over it...phone technology is advancing while battery tech remains the same. That said, I've experienced nothing like all of you are saying, and I love playing with this new toy of a phone. I unplugged it before I went to sleep last night around 2am, and i didn't plug it in again until about 10pm tonight, at which point i had a 19% charge. Granted I tend to use the phone a little heavier during the week when I have school, but this is still waaaay better than with the palm pre that I just ditched. That stupid pre had me lugging around not only a car charger but even an extra WALL CHARGER for when I went places. This thing is easily going to get me through an 8 hour school day...and if it doesn't, i'm not going to complain...i'm gonna just buy an extended life battery.

posted on 29 Sep 2011, 06:15

23. computer repairs melbourne (unregistered)

I like your article that guides me to increase the battery life of laptop. Mobile computing has got better with lighter components, better chips and faster processor. To get rid of this we should, we have to follow these point that are Reduce your monitor brightness, Do one thing at a time, Shut down services you don't need and Keep it cool. Thanks a lot .

computer repairs melbourne

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Buy This Phone

Latest stories