x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung Captivate Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Captivate = huge disappointment

osanilevich 19 Jun 2010, 18:12 posted on

ATT just took the galaxy s and completely mangled it. It is only a shadow of what it used to be. I was actually hyped when I found out ATT is getting the galaxy s but was completely disappointed when I saw the captivate

posted on 21 Jun 2010, 22:20

1. ajac09 (Posts: 1367; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)

samsung Galaxy S pro for sprint gonna murder this phone and the tmobile version

posted on 23 Jun 2010, 15:42

2. KewlRobD (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Jun 2010)

What is the differences between this and the galaxy s? Just wondering how it's been mangled?

posted on 24 Jun 2010, 16:06

5. Schmao (Posts: 302; Member since: 05 Jul 2009)

This phone's just not as sexy anymore.

posted on 26 Jun 2010, 17:07

6. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

Sprint was really in Samsung's good graces to be getting the galaxy S pro. The specs for the captivate are pretty good, I just wished that ATT would stay true to the Galaxy S design. It also looks like the camera (even if it is still at 5 MP) has been severely downgraded in lens quality.I also don't like it that the phone's screen was downgraded from SUPER AMOLED to just plain AMOLED, regardless of how good AMOLED screens are. If unlocked phones got 3G on ATT's network, I would probably be typing this from an original Galaxy S. The captivate would be a good mid-high end range phone but Samsung and ATT shouldn't have added it to the Galaxy S line. There shouldn't even be any sort of variations, aside from the keyboarded version, for as great a phone as the Galaxy S

posted on 26 Jun 2010, 19:06

7. s.m.knipe (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jun 2010)

@osanilevich Actually, every other site that lists specs on this phone still list the screen as super-AMOLED, including AT&T/Samsung's site for it (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung-captivate.jsp ), and PDAnet (http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2430&view=1&c=samsung_sgh-i897_galaxy_s_captivate_ ). The PDAnet page also lists an August release and 0.3 front camera, and I don't know how they verified those... What source are you talking about for the degraded lens quality, I cannot find anything to that effect... And I think the unlocked version's 3G goes to T-mo, I can't find the article/post I was reading that said that now, but I am pretty sure I saw it on Androidcommunity.com

posted on 26 Jun 2010, 19:15

8. s.m.knipe (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jun 2010)

On a side note, I rather like how they have changed the appearance to not look like an iPhone "wannabe," as this phone is by far way better than the iPhone 6 (I'll give Apple two years to catch up, that seems to be par for them lately) will be, let alone the iPhone 4...

posted on 26 Jun 2010, 19:19

9. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

there is no actual spec but if you take a look at the lens of the original and the captivate, the Galaxy S lens is much bigger and looks higher quality. the "retina" (the part which snaps the photo) on the Galaxy S looks much better compared to the captivate which, even though its 5 MP, looks a little more than VGA quality

posted on 26 Jun 2010, 22:07

10. s.m.knipe (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jun 2010)

@osanilevich I see what you mean about the lens, but I think that is just the protective casing, the important part is the CMOS sensor, and that should most likely be the same

posted on 27 Jun 2010, 01:25

11. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

Tmobile customers got really lucky that someone high in the ranks liked the Galaxy S's design. That is aside from the fact that the unlocked version will work on their network

posted on 28 Jun 2010, 12:43

12. KewlRobD (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Jun 2010)

I dont really see that much difference between the two phones looks wise. I think they both look good and I really don't care about the looks so much anyway. I care more about the performance and if this phone is the same as the Galaxy s on the inside then I will be very happy. I am stuck on AT&T cause I get a nice discount through my company and I am grandfathered into $20 data plans on all 4 of the phones on my account so it would cost me alot to go elswhere. Until now I have been very jealous of Verizon customers and their choice of android phone's

posted on 29 Jun 2010, 16:14

13. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

looks like verizon will be the only carrier to get the original (looking anyway) Galaxy S. The epic looks worth my buck though

posted on 05 Jul 2010, 21:16

14. baldilocks (Posts: 509; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)

Some of you people need to RESEARCH before you make comments. The specs for the Captivate are IDENTICAL to the European Galaxy S except for the front facing camera. It still has a 4" Super AMOLED screen. The form factor is MUCH nicer than any of the other versions. (They all look too much like the iPhone.)

posted on 05 Jul 2010, 22:54

15. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

true the captivate is the best looking of the american versions but the reason for dissapointment is that the Galaxy S was a great looking phone by itself and ATT has decided not to keep it like that. They could have simply brought in the Galaxy S and made the captivate a different phone

posted on 08 Jul 2010, 23:14

16. racinfool (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Jul 2010)

Well first off, The phone is still has a SUPER AMOLED screen and the camera is still just as good as the original just no flash and you can't compare it to Sprint's version because as you say AT&T "mangled" it in truth Sprint is the one that mangled it. The phone looks nothing like it originally did and I LOVE THE VERSION AT7T IS GETTING. it is so sleek and sexy. The S version was so boxy and unnattractive just like the iPhone4! So all in all I LOVE AT7T VERSION OF THE GALAXY S. The only think i would change is i would give it flash.

posted on 09 Jul 2010, 22:39

17. osanilevich (Posts: 244; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)

like I said, compared to the others, ATT is getting the best looking phone. Spec wise, sprint gets the better end. I just don't see why its so hard to keep the original design. They could have made the captivate seperately and brought in the galaxy s anyway. even if it does look like the iphone, don't forget that the galaxy S was announced WAY BEFORE the Iphone 4 so in retrospect, apple is really copying samsung

posted on 12 Jul 2010, 21:43

18. racinfool (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Jul 2010)

okay it may have been announced WAY before but you dont think that Apple has been working on there phone since the release of the 3gS and it was "leaked" before the Galaxy S was.. and you couldnt release the captivate separate from the Galaxy S and have them both on the same carrier.. there basically the same phone with a different design and a few minor tweaks.. its the same just like Toyota and Lexus same cars minor tweaks...sprint may have gotten the better end but then again its going to sprint so there 4G service may just barely compare to AT&T's 3G service.. AT&T is just starting to reach into the Android area.. theres the Dell phone and and HTC phone all have been rumored and AT&T is supposed to get 7 devices before the end of summer.. So before you go and criticize on the things that dont really mean that much look at all that it can do and not what it cant do.. besides at least they didnt screw it up as bad as they did with the Backflip!!

posted on 25 Jul 2010, 12:30

19. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)

Have any of you bought the phone - it is great - you folks blab too much about which you have no knowledge of - scary to think you actually vote for our politicians in the same manner...

posted on 25 Jul 2010, 19:23

20. Balboa (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jul 2010)

I have this phone and am not impressed. Gave back my Iphone4 due to dropped calls. But now am going back to the I-phone4 and the dropped calls.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories