Samsung Captivate Glide User Reviews

Text input8.7/10
Everyday usage8.8/10
UI speed8.8/10

samsungcaptivateglide777
posted on 29 Nov 2012, 11:57 (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Jul 2012)

Best Phone I've owned so far...

samsungcaptivateglide777 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I used to own a T mobile galaxy s 4g, but after dropping it a needed a new phone. So looking online I came across the captivate glide. After getting it I fell in love with this phone. This was the best phone I ever owned. Sure the plastic build and battery wasn't the best but the dual core processor and camera made up for this. But the web browser was the best that I have used on any phone. And now after almost a full year I still love it.

Pros

• Dual Core processor
  • Web browser

• Plastic build

samsungcaptivateglide777 alternatives:

doglover810
posted on 21 Jun 2012, 22:17 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)

doglover!!!!

doglover810 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

ok ppl that say this isnt a nice phone are ppl that dont take care of it just clean it weekly and you should be fine. dont be lazy! it is an easy phone to learn and big. to be exact 4.9 x 2.5in and 13mm thick. i have been looking at this phone for about a month everyday and i fianally covinced my family to get it for me and now my mom wants it not cool! i dont want the same phone as her BABY much? so i say get it if ur the only one in the family

Build quality 10/10 it deserves this because it is perfect
Reception 10/10 its perfect w/ AT&T

Pros

• the phone is awesome

Cons

• has none whats so ever!!!!!!

N3090n3
posted on 04 Jun 2012, 16:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)

VIdeo and camera stuff freaking great

N3090n3 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

i went from side kick 4g to this and honestly the keyboard was a bit better on the sidekick but other then that pretty much the same phone just a little faster and little larger screen with hell of a lot better camera on it and i love camera on this phone. it would have been nice if i didn't have to down load 3rd party stuff right off rip for the fm tuner in it. but the fact it divx with add in was great and took me 2sec to launch xvid codec for it so added 32gb SDXC in to it and was quite happy when it worked seeing as it only rate for SDHC uTorrent worked great on it also have had no issue using google drive to acess my full movie libary and with the 4g streamed great on it I also have optoma pk320 i like to uses with it so honestly between the 2 devices i have my own personal movie theater that fit in my pocket also great i can pull them out and put my presenations for school up all though i think it freaks out my professors great hit at parties when you can get them to throw white sheet on the wall and bam the new hotest movies are up there this phone and that projector has made me a must have to any campus party but with out this phones divx and google drive compatability i could never do that stuff now that i have had a divx campatbile phone i would never but another phone with out that

softballgod1014
posted on 31 Jan 2012, 14:17 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)

Its a good phone for a teen but not for a business person

softballgod1014 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

It was a good phone but would not suggest it for heavy usage. Battery was so poor I was charging atleast 3 times per day. Very bluky as well. Not to thrilled about the plactic back.Very flimsy. Processor froze at times and had to go though master reset just to get it too work properly again.

Build quality 5/10 Very bulky.But the Qwetry keyboard is nice
Multimedia 6/10 Very crappy playback though speakers, great though headphones though.
Camera 8/10 5mp camera is so-so and the front facing camera is ok for a 2MP
Battery 1/10 Very poor with regular use.

Pros

• Procesor speed
  • Call quality

Cons

• Poor battery
  • Contacts transfer

sevoman
posted on 04 Jan 2012, 16:01 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)

Excellent (switched from blackberry)

sevoman has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have been using blackberries for the past 7 years. After buying and returning countless iphones and, more recently, androids with large screens, I have always gone back to the BB for it's keyboard. I message all day and text input on a virtual kb is frustrating to say the least. I believe most people spend most of their time hitting the backspace button to correct errors while using virtual KB's. Voice dictation is OK, but when in a quiet area, it's not really an option. I never liked the landscape slider format. I felt it was too cumbersome to turn the phone around and pull out the keyboard everytime i wanted to reply to a text or email. I even purchased the BB torch 2, with the portrait slider kb, as a compromise with a somewhat larger screen and a keyboard. Unfortunately, that keyboard is very cramped and BB is basically going to be out of business soon. I migrated to this captivate glide and I am never looking back. The kb is excellent. After just 1 week of use, I prefer this type of kb over the BB. The 4" screen is perfect, as not to big to be a power hog, but big enough to enjoy apps and web content. The phone is still VERY slim and fits in my back pocket just as my BB did. Everything is just right. I had the Samsung GS2 (not skyrocket) and it was basically this phone but with a 0.3 inch larger screen, 8mp camera, faster processor, but no keyboard. I have gladly parted with those 3 features just to have a kb. I recommend this phone to anyone who needs a...

Build quality 10/10 all seams are tight. no creaking. the keyboard slides out nicely and once closed minimal to no play.
Reception 10/10 no problems. same amount of reception as my BB had.
Call quality 10/10 no problems, clear and strong
Internet 10/10 wifi connects quickly. no issues
Camera 9/10 5mp. honestly, pics look same as my SGS2 wich had an 8mp camera. I compare them on my laptop and can't see much of a difference. rates at a 9 as 8mp seems to be the gold standard these days on cell phone.
UI speed 10/10 smooth and buttery
Everyday usage 10/10 perfect
Text input 10/10 keyboard is well thought out. i thought i would not like the dedicated up/down/left/right arrow keys, but i use them a lot when trying to place the cursor into a paragraph. sometimes tapping on the screen is not accurate enough and the cursor ends up in another sentence. this kb has been well designed. its flat and takes some getting used to.
Display 10/10 gorilla glass super amoled. very crisp and clean.
Battery 8/10 my average day consists of about 20 min of streaming radio in the morning, texting/emailing, lots of app usage, taking a few photos here and there and about 10-20 mintues of phone calls. wifi on all day, gps off, bluetooth only on while driving (about 45 min a day). when i get home i usually have about 25% battery left.

Pros

• keyboard!
  • slim
  • light
  • gorilla glass
  • good (5mp) camera
  • 720p video
  • HSPA+ (4g sucks battery life)

Cons

• battery life about a day
  • back cover is plastic, somewhat slippery

snowgator
posted on 27 Dec 2011, 22:03 (Posts: 3262; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)

Easily the Best QWERTY Smartphone option on AT&T

snowgator has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This was my Daughters dream phone, so we got it for her as an Early Christmas gift. I have spent a lot of time helping her get it set up. It is a fine effort from Samsung. As a follow up to the Captivate, which was AT&T's Galaxy phone from 2010, you would expect nothing else. I like the Touch-wiz User Interface. It allows you to set up several home screens any way you would like. It allows Android to do it's thing without trying to get in the way. The actual motions and commands you perform on it are very good and responsive. All the basics such as screen, reception, signal strength, camera, and video capture are very good to excellent.
However, there are a couple of areas where you really need to test it out before you buy it. 1st off is the main reason why anyone including my Daughter would want it: The keyboard. The fact that the Glide is a thin device is great, but it does it at the expense of the keys. They are extremly flat and run together. Also, at only four rows Samsung has taken a step back from the 5 row of the Sprint version of the Galaxy series in 2010, the Epic, and it shows. You really need to spend some time with the keyboard at an AT&T store before you grab one. It may be a problem for some users. Also, the actual loading of web sites, apps, and screens are usual really good, but it does drag at times, leading to a buggy experince. It is not a deal killer, but it can be annoying if that is something you have to have in a smartphone, such as...

Build quality 9/10 The slider on ours is a little stiff, but otherwise another great build from Samsung.
Reception 10/10 No reception loss or dropped calls.
Call quality 10/10 Very clear.
Internet 10/10 No problem with loading of websites and very smooth responses.
Multimedia 9/10 Can be a little buggy with some complex commands. But mostly a treat.
Camera 9/10 Very good. Great reproductions.
UI speed 9/10 Touch-wiz works really well with Android, and Samsung let a lot of stock Android options in multimedia to ensure the experience is really enjoyable.
Everyday usage 10/10 Can not pry it out of my girls hands!! She loves it.
Text input 8/10 The onscreen keyboard in portrait mode is very good, excellent to use with one hand for short entries. I think the physical keyboard is good, but also feel it should have been better with this much space to work with.
Display 10/10 Samsung does screens better than anyone. Just a wonderful screen.
Battery 8/10 All day activity will wear it down, but for this day and age it is good. Easily 9 - 12 hours depending on usage. You will need to charge every night.

Pros

• Excellent screen and screen response.
  • Very good build- light and thin.
  • Easily the best option on AT&T for a QWERTY smartphone.
  • Great reception and call quality.
  • Smooth UI
  • Excellent speed and response to nearly every command

Cons

• Keyboard could have been better thought out- too flat and a lot of wasted space.
  • Can have a hiccup or 2 loading and in performance

Dr.Kirby
posted on 24 Dec 2011, 14:25 (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)

Love It

Dr.Kirby has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Great phone. I use it almost constantly for school, work, and play. Replace my Ipod for music and is my entertainment hub with it's netflix capabilities. The keyboard is hardy (has a metal background) .Touchscreen keyboards have come a long, long way and, when paired with an appropriately sized display, remove the majority of frustration and misspellings that are now considered par for the mobile course. If, however, you still cling to the notion that physical feedback is superior to capacitive tech, then the Captivate Glide's for you. Unlike the flimsy hinges used on T-Mobile's G2 or the stiff mechanism employed by the Droid 3, this keypad snaps out smoothly and securely. It is slightly difficult to get a handle on the device while you attempt to slide it open and there were more than a few instances when it almost flew out of our hands given its relative lightness and the force of the slider.

Samsung's spread out the QWERTY fun over four rows, so there's a sense of spaciousness to the keyboard where other efforts come off as cluttered. Except for the oblong menu, home, back and search buttons bordering the layout, the rest of the keys are rounded squares that lie virtually flush with the pad. You'll have to rely on muscle memory to punch out those texts and emails or just keep a fixed eye on your thumb placement, considering the lack of any raised surface or texture to guide you, save for the slight notches on the F and J keys. The keys are backlit, however, so typing at night...

Build quality 10/10 Plasticy. Maybe cause it's made of plastic. I'm fine with that. No cold phone in the mornings. Metal-lined keyboard
Reception 10/10 Almost always Have HSPA+
Call quality 10/10 Great so far
Internet 10/10 HAS FLASH!
Multimedia 10/10 SUpports apple lossless. Beautiful videos
Camera 10/10 8mp is enough 720p video plus a flash.
UI speed 10/10 Very responsive
Text input 10/10 KEYBOARD!
Display 10/10 SUPER AMOLED
Battery 10/10 Lasts all day

ckitchen2011
posted on 23 Nov 2011, 11:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)

Transfer Contacts fail guy

ckitchen2011 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

First off, about the guy who couldnt get his contacts transferred. Your dumb. The phone is brand spanking new and you cant control cellbrite in sending out their updates. Do you expect att to crap out updates. Its called google back up and an sd card. Before you start tearing reperable companies apart, because you are obviously better than them do some research. it takes a while to get things up to date. And shame on you for making a guy work on it for two hours. Or enter them your lazy self. on the other hand, I am enjoying my new phone because I know how to do things myself the easy way, like copying to a sim card. The phone is amazing. The fastest phone I ever had, video quality is precise, and the keyboard is a relief. I just came from the inspire, then the infuse and this blows both out of the water. First samsung I have ever had and been happy with. Great job samsung

Pros

• Keyboard,
  • speed!
  • video quality
  • Widgets

Cons

• slider seems a little ill built
  • slippery

elan05
posted on 20 Dec 2011, 15:43 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)

AT&T Fail

elan05 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I went to AT&T last night to purchase the new Samsung Captivate Glide and spent almost 2 hours in the store with the Sales Rep. I have been waiting to get rid of my Blackberry Bold. Within 5 minutes of entering the store I was at the counter beginning my transaction. All was going well until he tried to transfer my contacts from my Blackberry Bold to my new Captivate Glide. The machine that they use to transfer the contacts was not updated to support the new phone. He told me the phone was too new to be in their system. Why would AT&T not update their system in time for the phone release?? He tried another machine, tried transferring the contacts with an app on the blackberry, tried saving them to my memory card and uploading them to the new phone and engaged several other Sales people in the store about the problem he was having. Two hours later - NOTHING. He refunded the phone, reset my account and I left the store with my pitiful blackberry. GREAT WORK AT&T (sarcasm). This pathetic and poor experience is no reflection on the Sales Rep or the actual phone; he did everything he could with the tools his company gave him. This is a horrible review for AT&T only and warning for anyone who is going to purchase this phone. Ask the store if their machine has been updated to support the new phone before you waste your time. They told me it can take the machines up to a week after the phone release date for the new machine to be updated. Hopefully I will have the opportunity...

Battery 5/10 I didn't even get to try the phone so 5 is my neutral rating.