x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Samsung Captivate Glide Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Contact Transfer Fail - Anyone else have this problem?

elan05 22 Nov 2011, 09:36 posted on

I went to AT&T last night to purchase the new Samsung Captivate Glide and spent almost 2 hours in the store with the Sales Rep. I have been waiting for this phone for months and when I saw it was released yesterday I couldn’t wait to get rid of my Blackberry Bold that freezes on a daily basis. Within 5 minutes of entering the store I was at the counter beginning my transaction. All was going well until he tried to transfer my contacts from my Blackberry Bold to my new Samsung Captivate Glide. The machine that they use to transfer the contacts was not updated to support the new Samsung phone. He told me the phone was too new to be in their system. Why would AT&T not update their system in time for the phone release????????? He tried another machine, tried transferring the contacts with an app on the blackberry, tried saving them to my memory card and uploading them to the new phone and engaged several other Sales people in the store about the problem he was having. Two hours later - NOTHING. He refunded the phone, reset my account and I left the store with my pitiful blackberry in hand. GREAT WORK AT&T (sarcasm). This pathetic and poor experience is no reflection on the Sales Rep or the actual phone; he did everything he could with the tools his company gave him and I didn’t have a chance to even use the phone. This is a horrible review for AT&T only and warning for anyone who is going to purchase this phone. Ask the store if their machine has been updated to support the new phone before you waste your time. They told me it can take the machines up to a week after the phone release date for the new machine to be updated. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to try this phone in a few weeks, if I don’t leave AT&T for good and switch to Verizon or T-Mobile.

posted on 22 Nov 2011, 10:00

1. fervid (Posts: 172; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)

Best way to transfer contacts to an Android Phone is connecting to Google's Exchange Server. With my Win Mobile phone it did it through an Active Sync Server (m.google.com). I'd imagine Blackberry would just connect to it like a corp Exchange. Sync all your Contacts with your Google account which gets everything including pictures. Then when you sign into your account on your Android they all sync over. Next best is over Bluetooth. Then last by SIM which is very limited- basic name and number, each alternate phone comes in as another contact, no other details or pictures, etc. If the rep there didn't know any of these then he has no business selling Android phones.

posted on 04 Mar 2012, 15:33

2. lynnea1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)

Exchange server doesnt work with Samsung phones

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories