Samsung BlackJack II User Reviews

Krista Miller
posted on 18 Aug 2010, 17:06

love it but got a problem

I have had my black jack 2 for a little over a year now, I bought it off of ebay new box hadn't even been opened. I love the fact that it has a full keyboard, mp3 player and everything else. But now the button in the middle that spins quit spinning the other day, and then yesterday when I was talking to my fiance the speaker just quit working, I could hear him but he couldn't hear me. We have tried everything to get it to work again but nothing is working what can I do to get my speaker to work again??? or do I just have to get a new phone all together???

Pros

• quarty keyboard, mp3, microsoft office, camera, just about everything I love it

Cons

• Middle spinning button quits working. and speaker goes out!!

Kaity
posted on 08 Feb 2010, 12:14

BlackJack II

I had this phone for over a year, and it was great. The middle button, however, stopped working, which is the main select button for the entire phone. You can get around it, but it isn't good if you have no patience. The buttons are easy to get used to, even if you have large fingers. The scroll wheel is extremely efficient, although if you don't like it, it still has the buttons. It's large, and it doesn't fit in your pocket that well. It can always fit in the back, though. The vibrations are long and loud, so if you're in a building that prohibits cell phone use, it's a good idea to put it on silent.  Texting for extensive periods of time wear the battery down extremely quickly if it's on vibrate as well. Some people may be interested if it has a signature setting, and yes, it does. It isn't the template thing that you have to put on EVERY TEXT either. You can change just about everything on the screen, and no factory pictures or settings are stored on it. It honestly is a great phone, and I would definately get another one. It's well worth it.

Pros

• Scroll wheel
  • QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• Slows down
  • Freezes

Skyla
posted on 22 Oct 2009, 22:44

Black Jack 2

I purchased my black jack 2 slightly used and have only had it for a few weeks now, but I love it!!  I love the fact that it has signature as long as you want it . It is a bit slow at times but what phone isn't ? I also love the fact that it holds alot of text messages. So far So good just hope I still feel this way in a few more weeks from now.

Pros

• full keyboard----signature----text messaging----easy to figure out----

Cons

• runs slow at times----camera (picture) quality----battery life----

jayyblackheart
posted on 24 Jul 2009, 02:30 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jul 2009)

Blackjack II

Before i had got a Motorola Evoke or my Boost Phone i had the Blackjack Blue Model,The phone is build pretty well coming from that its a Samsung phone.I enjoyed alot of stuff you can do.The customs you can add on is pretty wicked,and installing java and programs on the fly.Ringers were loud,the calls were clear,Only things i prolly aint enjoy to much was that the Windows Mobile is almost like the same thing like having a old packard bell computer sometimes.When you run to much it slows down,and takes a hell of a long time for some stuff to close depending how much you may have running.It could be me and my lack of experience,because i aint never had a windows mobile phone till this one.But other then that its pretty good.If you dont have service on it,and its just laying around collecting dust.One thing i could honestly say it makes is a Nice portable solution for emulation in video games(Nes,Mame,Snes).Believe me,it works nicely.

Pros

• Windows Mobile
  • Customazation
  • Loud Ringers
  • Crystal Clear Talk
  • Battery Life Decent
  • Emulation

Cons

• Slowdowns

posted on 09 Jun 2009, 20:47

I actually like this phone a lot. It may look a little complicated at first, but after you look at it for about half an hour of playing with it, you pretty much get the idea of how to work it. The design may be a little more bulky than it should, but the keyboard is pretty easy to use. A touch pad would probably be better, but hey, touchpads are just coming out and this just happens to be an old version. There is microsoft powerpoint and word, which is really neat because you can put study materials in and study from there or put in your saved powerpoint presentation and hook it  on the computer if you don't have a portable USB or backup. You can save a microsoft word file that's blank and then come back and press edit to do your homework on the go.

Pros

• - easy texting phone
  • - Can change theme
  • - Has Microsoft Word
  • - Has Microsoft Powerpoint
  • - Neat applications like stopwatch, smart converter, voice notes, world clock, etc etc

Cons

• - design pretty bulky and heavy
  • - Can't use headphones
  • - Music library doesn't have a shortcut
  • - Phone doesn't have a "vibrate and sound" version. It's one or the other.

carol
posted on 04 Jun 2009, 00:19

Blk jack 2

Not worth the effort it took to figure this phone out. It sucks.  I have returned 3 and can now get something else.  Thank God.  I never had a pda before and everyone it talked to said it was messed up. I have never used the media net b/c it doesn't work.  I have had to delete email address and start over b/c mobile net does not work properly.   It had nver saved sent emails.. and I have to turn it off at least once a day to clear out all the problems with this phone.  Do not buy it or get a used one.  I thought i bought a new one but it turned out to be refurbished.  UKKK on used equipment.  I am very leary of Samsung now.  I just have gotten what all my friends suggested.... arrgghhhhhh,,, on this phone.

Pros

• qwerty keyboard
  • loud ringer

Cons

• to many to list.

heavybreathing
posted on 17 Apr 2009, 07:20 (Posts: 276; Member since: 26 Feb 2009)

Best mid end non touch screen qwerty phone out there

FANTASTIC phone.
It may not be a Blackberry or an Iphone but this phone is the best in its class. I can honestly say that you will not find a better full qwerty phone out there in this phones price range.

NainiJ
posted on 12 Dec 2008, 00:59

2.3

BlackjackII SGH-i617 Can't sync via bluetooth

Bluetooth setup goes fine, but when I try to sync data, it says it can't find the PC. I upgraded from WM6.0 to WM6.1, with no improvement. I can still sync via USB cable. Additionally, in WM6.0 I would get one line for all phone numbers of a Contact; in WM6.1 I get multiple lines and in most cases one phone number for a contact having several phone numbers in MS/Outlook. It's worse under WM6.1. I hope Samsung fixes this problem, 'cause it's a mess and the phone is otherwise not worth buying. BTW, I would appreciate any suggested solution to this, or at least how I can go back to WM6.0

posted on 11 Nov 2008, 17:30

It is a really nice phone even though it will be soon a year a bought it. I am crazy to get a new one since I love changing my phone every year and not 21 months liek AT&T recommends. If you have this phone download WM 6.1 it makes a big difference it will improve how great the phone is. This phone is great for messaging having threaded text, for email, etc.

Pros

• Internet
  • Text

Cons

• Push Email
  • Finger smudge
  • Sometimes freezes or blackout
  • LED could've been used once in a while

posted on 31 Oct 2008, 13:54

great value, and stlye

over all the phone is great, better than blackberry and the user interface is simple and easy to grasp with some fun aps available for it out on he market...with some minor quirks...due to a firmware issue that requires you to send the phone in to Samsung for repair...the quirk is sometimes the phone will stop receiveing sms and e-mail msgs untill you reboot it... if you intend to use GPS heavily bring that extra abttery as it eats that thing up in about 4 hrs.  Best money i could have spent and has paid itself multiple times over with it's functionality and usefullness....the fact that i can use it as a gateway for my laptop and access the internet anywhere i get reception is a great bonus.
if you're looking for something you can have fun with and still be productive...this is a great buy

Pros

• great reception...i've received calls where no one else onsite could get reception...even with thesame carrier...so it's the phone design that did it...screen resolution is great as is the battery life

Cons

• i'm sure this dosn't affect all units, but mine needed a firmware fix to correct a connectivity issue the otherwise required a reboot every couple of hours for my msgs to download to the phone...other than that...ensure you use a protective case...the screen is vy fragile and will cost you around $200 to repair...the standard IE browser is very limited for browsing, but that can be corrected by isntalling other browsers. Opera and Skyfire Beta are vy good solutions to that.

NjGaLady
posted on 20 Oct 2008, 19:15

Bad screen

Had this phone for only 5 months, screen went bad.  Contacted Samsung warranty, got the run around, but was finally able to send phone in.  Once received, they said I sat on it or dropped it and it would not be fixed unless I paid to have fix.  Needless to say,  I didn't drop it or sit on it.  The phonelooks great, but I believe when I purhcased i received a damage phone and it took normal usage for the damage to show through. Will never buy another Samsung product again.  Nokia all the way!!

meko clark
posted on 05 Oct 2008, 17:11

A very good phone. The battery life on this phone is amazing. I can go two days without charging this phone after I have talked on it for hours, texted, took pictures, and lots of other stuff, and the phone battery. The phone looks great and has a good look to it. It looks sophisticated and has a good interface. One of the better PDA.

E.K xbm
posted on 27 Aug 2008, 08:21

Buy this phone  it is amazing  i work for att, and rarely get calls from people  having problems with it. If your looking for a phone that has alot of features and doesnt cost to much buy this phone. It will not disappoint  you.

carol
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 11:33

I have had the bj2 for about 3 weeks now, and was sent all the accessories for a bj1, really frustrating. The first thing i noticed that i didn't like was the fact i cannot charge the phone in and talk with an ear bud. Also, i can't just go buy a generic ear bud, you have to buy an exp. one for this phone from the manufacture. I came from the Rumor (sprint) and miss the slide with wide qwerty board, but don't miss tht it slid out all the time..I am getting used to this phone and am sure i will not be able to live without it soon. I do like the reception and it works at my home where the sprint network did not. Oh and my roller in the middle is uesless. so i am not impressed with it at all, as i have fingernails. i now wish i had tried the new trio as it does have a touch screen... if the bj2 had that it would be perfect.

jared
posted on 14 Jul 2008, 20:54

recomend for every one

the phone is not one of the best it is the only #1 IT HAS PLEANY OF THE FUNNEST FEATURES AND HAS A SILK DESIGN..............................alsome pone u get your moneys worth and a recomend it to any 1 buying a new phone

PJ
posted on 07 Jun 2008, 15:02

5.2

pj's review

When i look at this phone all i really see is the 1st blackjack that had the buttons next to the menu slitly modified. come on samsung do better next time.

shwalee
posted on 30 May 2008, 09:38

4.8

Took it back the next day

Nice phone. BUT NO VOICE ACTIVATION!
Who builds a Bluetooth PDA without voice command?
This means that you cannot call out on your bluetooth headset. I have used voice activation on the last 4 phones I have owned bluetooth or not. It is the fastest way to dial hands down. My old Ericsson T68 from 5 years ago even had this feature!

Daryl
posted on 06 May 2008, 21:34

Best money spent

Best samsung product ever, best phone, i love it and will probally keep this thing it freaking breaks no doubts about it, i aodre my phon and cant stop playing on it!!!

att lvr
posted on 18 Apr 2008, 16:16

LOVE IT!!!

I totally love the spin wheel for the navigation key. The keypad is perfect size. The display is big. I love how light the phone is. Usually smartphones are heavy. I love the size because it is not large.

Patrick
posted on 17 Mar 2008, 21:55

Never thought the day would come..

BEST phone around! Personally it bets the Motorola Q9H Global! I love the iPod styled D-pad and the camera effects! Puttons could be a little bit bigger, but im not complaining. Overall, best damn phone around!

Craig
posted on 09 Feb 2008, 18:17

I had the BJack 1 and its seemed to work good for the most part except for the occasional freeze here and there(thats windows for ya). I got the Blackjack 2 a couple weeks ago. All the features seem to be improved overall. The GPS works good integrating with google maps, even though it's not turn-by-turn, it works better then I would have expected, even for being a free program. If you decide to get one, you will be better off with red over black, unless you like you phone looking like a fingerprint haven. It also runs smoother and the track spinning deal works nicely too. The keypad is slightly different, but not a deal breaker. The phone is Quad-band GSM and Tri-bang WCDMA/UMTS/HSD(U)PA Whatever you prefer so it will work off any cell tower in the world. Also, the screen is slightly bigger and it has a TRUE full screen video... Overall I have been pretty satisfied.

Phil
posted on 29 Jan 2008, 09:41

Great all-in-one device!

I upgraded from a Samsung SGH-ZX20 (AT&T's second 3G-compatible device) to the BlackJack II this past holiday. Since the upgrade, I have been nothing but impressed by the phone's capabilities. I did my research on this phone on phonearena.com before I got the phone...everything on this site is accurate about the phone.

My favorite features include:
- intuitive keyboard layout
- amazing scroll/spin wheel (easy to navigate email/web!)
- incredibly fast HSDPA (I download applications/large email attachments in mere seconds)
- GPS (I recommend using Windows Live Search with Maps)
- battery life
- sharp, bright, large clear screen

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the phone. I've included an unlimited data/text plan with my phone so I'm able to use all the phone's features. Anything less than and unlimited package, and you're limiting yourself, seriously. If you need web, constant email, office docs and organization on the go, get the BJII!

Rob
posted on 03 Jan 2008, 21:37

Great Smartphone

This is a great smartphone with many features that would keep anyone entertainted. First, I would have to say that the QWERTY keyboard is excellent and well designed. This is a big stepp from the keyboard used on the first BlackJack. This allows for very accurate texting, and typing. The 3G capabilities on the phone are excellent. The Internet Browser is much faster than on the original BlackJack which is a big plus. This design of the phone looks much sleeker overall from the original. The only problem I had with the design was the glossy finish. If your a little touchy about smudges then you may not enjoy the finish so much. You can see fingerprints easliy on this phone and especially on the back. But, for the most part I enjoy the touch wheel on the ront of the phone rather than on the side. So, overall, this is a big imporvement over the original BlackJack.

Arthur
posted on 09 Dec 2007, 11:58

Amazing device

I am very impressed with this phone. I came from the RAZR V3xx from AT&T and I must say that this phone hands down puts the RAZR to shame. I am impressed with how easy it is to type on this device! The keys are easy to use and I have large hands, so anyone can use it. I am also impressed with how fast the downloading is.

I never had the first BlackJack, but I love this phone, it is wonderful, it keeps my organized, it comes in handy when texting, or sending instant messages, it is all around a great device. I highly recommend it.