Samsung Alias 2 User Reviews

Everyday usage5.5/10
UI speed4.8/10
Camera4.8/10

posted on 21 Jun 2009, 20:17

Great Features, Keyboard layout is definitely one of the better QWERTY keyboards that Verizon has to offer, but all in all the phone is subpar.  Sure E-ink is both fascinating and fun, but the phone itself is one of the least responsive phones I have used since the KRZR.  The software lags like no other.  Keystrokes would be missed over and over again, which is so frustrating.  Forget having a full inbox and trying to do anything on the phone, the software is just so slow and lacks so much responsiveness.

Awesome features, excellent design, but the phone itself just isn't up to par at all.   I will take my LG VX8300 to my grave.

Pros

• E-ink
  • Keyboard layout
  • Large screen is phenomenal
  • Great picture quality

Cons

• NOT RESPONSIVE
  • LAGS
  • SLOW SOFTWARE

PK5353
posted on 20 Jun 2009, 10:36

Nice phone with good features.....but may return it.

Good phone, am mostly pleased with it and would like to keep it.  Upgraded from an old Samsung SCH-A950 which served me well for 4 years.

Pros

• I like this phone, especially the keyboard. Typing is easy (I don't use texting...just internet and contacts). Screen iis bright and large, the phone size is manageable and is very well constructed. Voice quality is excellent sending and receiving. Battery could be better...a larger battery is available (but that increases the phone size). Picture quality iis good (better than I expected). Setting up the phone is easy enough.

Cons

• Having a problem with speech recognition. Brought it back to Verizon, they say software update is coming. This is a problem with some phones. Issue a command such as: "Call ____ work" and it returns "Send Text message to ____ home, work" or "Send picture to ____". Nothing actually makes sense...the only voice recognition adaption available on the phone is repeating the numbers 0-9. No words.

sassyboi
posted on 05 Jun 2009, 14:53

great phone for those who dont need a full html browser

i think its a great phone 4 texting a great display as well as a great qwerty board it even has mobile email but it dosnt have a full html nrowser which for me i dont really need that overall i think its a smaller better version of the env3

Pros

• great qwerty board small form factor overall good phone

Cons

• no full html

Retired MSgt
posted on 30 May 2009, 12:48

Does not work with Ford Sync

There is a new software version that is suppose to work with the Ford Sync but I cannot get Samsung or Verizon to get me that software.  I will be returning this phone.  Samsung, Verizon and Ford need to get their act together.  Why advertize a feature that is not supported.  In addition, Verizon needs to make sure that their sales reps know exactly what features are support and what is not.  Being lied to by several different reps before getting this phone is very annoying.  The main feature I wanted is NOT supported.  But all the reps I talked to before getting this phone said it was support.  I would recommend that before anyone gets this phone, they find someone who has it to make sure all the features they want are support.  Sales reps and some tech support people at both Verizon and Samsung do not know what is supported.

Pros

• Everything except what I really needed looks good so far.

Cons

• Does not work with Ford Sync

Jiggles56
posted on 29 May 2009, 10:08

Alias 2

I like this phone a lot - the size, style, full keyboard, easy to navigate. I like how it won't randomly call people or play music from the front screen like my old touch-screen phones did even when it was locked.  I wish the camera had a flash and you could see yourself from the front screen while taking a picture of yourself. I can't seem to figure out how to get the time up on the front screen after the phone has been closed for a few seconds without having to open it again. I wish the music player worked while texting and playing games. Also, if i text too fast, it skips some letters that I type in even though i pressed them. If you want to read texts on the front screen, you have to set it to autoplay texts, but then every time you are in the middle of texting and someone texts you, it automatically saves your text as a draft and plays the text you just received. I can't find sony music box for ringtones either!

Brett
posted on 22 May 2009, 14:38

I have had this phone for a little over a week now and i still and very impressed with the sleek durable design and the great keys that they decided to put on the inside. The Alias 1 was not that impressive, the Dare (phone i had before this) was also not impressive after a few months of using it the touch just didnt grab me. So as i went for a simpler phone the Alias 2 came out and that E-ink technology was very interesting and works perfectly and quickly to make this phone both durable and great for texting with the qwerty keyboard. Overall this phone is nearly perfect, but on the downside i think because of all the technology they put into the phone it suffers in the batter department. Short battery life where my dare lasted 4 days the Alias 2 only lasts 2 for me. 4.5 in my book. Finally samsung you came back with a good phone, instead of making a bust again (glyde, sway).

Pros

• Sleek Design
  • E-ink Technology
  • Double Flip (Landscape and Texting mode)
  • Easy Buttons

Cons

• Battery Life (only if you are one who goes on 4 day trips without having a charger) durr

posted on 20 May 2009, 11:03

works well, poor battery

Have had this phone for about a week. It is a bit heavier than I would like but I am getting used to it. The keyboard is awesome and works really well. The buttons are small but have good feel. My only complaint regarding the keyboard is that in 'landscape' mode you have to change keys to add "!" and "?" symbols. The battery life is miserably short. I made 3 calls and sent 4 text messages and apparently this used %50 of battery life... maybe it's a bad battery??
Other than battery life the phone works perfectly.

Pros

• Big screen. E-ink buttons work perfectly. Clear calls.

Cons

• Battery life. Weight.

jtlina87
posted on 19 May 2009, 20:07

SIIICCCCKKKKK PHONE!!!

There's something to be said for a phone that allows you to text and make phone calls with the greatest of ease. Many phones today are cluttered and jumbled with buttons and features that most users will never use. Touch screens, emailing options and web browsers seem to be the latest in novelty options many cell phones are equipped with that drive many consumer towards products that they will never be able to fully utilize. Instead, consumers need to remember what they are really going to use their phones for. I had a brief and unsatisfying stint with both the LG Versa and the Blackberry Curve. These phones are great for those who wish to have more than a "normal" cell phone experience. I would rather have a phone that functioned flawlessly in the categories that matter without having to worry about any "extra features" getting in the way. The Alias 2 is that phone. It's simplicity is unmatched and is perfect for anyone who is just looking for a phone that excels in the features that matter to most consumers. I highly recommend this phone to anyone. I am extremely happy I made the choice to give the Alias 2 a shot. . . you should too!!!

Pros

• Feels great to text and talk with.
  • Very clear main screen.
  • Quick camera shots.
  • Love the multiple shortcut keys.
  • Great reception.
  • E-INK is the SIIIICCCCCKKKKK!!!

Cons

• Can't read text messages from the outside... not a big deal.
  • Samsung still hasn't converted their charger to USB.

posted on 18 May 2009, 18:37

Love it!

I had the original Alias phone and loved it! I upgraded to the Alias 2 the day it was released and love it even more! After reading other reviews, I do not think it is too bulky or that the battery life is too short. This phone may take a day to get used to but it is amazing. All of the shortcuts and menu keys are great. Love it!

Pros

• All of the shortcuts and menu keys
  • The e-ink keypad
  • The menu font styles
  • The pre-loaded wallpapers

Sophie
posted on 17 May 2009, 22:20

Worth every penny

I got this phone a few days ago and I totally love it. Contrary to one of the reviews below, there is actually an OK button down low on the pad when in landscape. It's right next to the arrow keys, so it's super easy to get to where you want to go. The camera is way better than I would have thought, but it could just be that my old phone had only 0.3 megapixels, as opposed to the 2.0 that the Alias 2 has. Much quicker to text on, tons of shortcut keys; this phone is amazing for the person who wants a bit of everything, but mostly a multimedia-capable phone. And, the price is very good ($79.99 with a two-year contract, $129.99 otherwise), compared to the EnV2 or one of the touch-screen phones. Totally worth every penny.

Pros

• -Changing/dynamic keys
  • -Camera
  • -Price
  • -Amazing clarity of the screen/images
  • -Plenty of shortcut keys
  • -Personally, the weight and size are fine (enough to know that it's in you pocket, but not big enough to be annoying)

Cons

• -Can't find Tetris in the Game selection yet (but don't you worry, I'll find it!)
  • -Takes a day or two to get used to

posted on 17 May 2009, 15:33

Alias 2 Winner

I was looking for a new phone for verizon. And it took me a while to make a decision. I finally made my decision when the Aias 2 came out. This is the best phone I have ever owned. the screen is amazing and the texting is unbelievable. Also the E-ink technology could not of been any better. If you are looking for a new phone on verizon and dont want to pay for a data plan then the Alias 2 is for you.

Pros

• Great screen, Awesome QWERTY keypad, Very sturdy phone, almost everything is great!

Cons

• Ringtones could be better but I guess thats what V-Cast is for.

Millard Alexander
posted on 16 May 2009, 15:30

706TB

I think the Alias is a wonderful phone, but bought the Alias2 to have a larger display and better camera. The display is beautiful, and (in an improvement of a major weakness of the Alias) you can show pictures full screen in landscape view. The e-ink is very nice, but one drawback is that the "ok" key appears only top/center on some of the keyboard configurations. I would have liked to have a second "ok" key down low for every keyboard. The phone is a bit clunky and big, compared to the svelte Alias, but still a smaller form factor than the Glyde, Voyager, or Env2. Finally, and this was a major deal breaker for me, many of the Get-it-Now apps which are available on the Alias, including Pilot My-Cast which I use every day (I'm a pilot) are apparently not available for the Alias 2. Consequently, I returned the phone within 12 hours. Verizon was very nice about this, but it took me several hours on the phone with various customer service agents to sort out the incompatibilities of the Alias2. I'm still searching for a small, qwerty phone with a nice display, and a full range of Get-it-Now apps.

Pros

• Nice display
  • E-ink allows a full-featured qwerty keyboard to be compact

Cons

• A bit big and clunky
  • Lacking a conveniently located "OK" key on some keyboard configurations
  • Lack of compatability with many of Verizon's Get-it-Now apps

GOW_123
posted on 14 May 2009, 19:59

best messaging phone I have had

I have had a blackberry, env2, and the dare. I liked my env2, but the outside screen was too small and I always seem to call someone because the buttons would get pushed. The dare was a pain to text with. The blackberry is cool and allf or business users, but for the person who wants to call,text, and occasionally listen to music this phone is the best. I have has this phone for a week and it is amazing. I can go through the menus in portrait or landscape mode (the nev2 you had to go throught menus in landscape mode). I don't really care about the camera since I have an actual camera for pictures (and the camera on the alias is decent for a cellphone).
Point is if you want something practical like a normal flip phone, but with the convenience of a qwerty keyboard get this phone.
I type faster with this phone than the env2 since the keys are larger.

Pros

• Best qwerty keyboard I have used
  • Doesn't dial when in my pocket
  • currently buy one get up to three free so its cheap
  • On verizon network

Cons

• None, I upgraded to this phone from my dare and haven't looked back

mailforjoel
posted on 14 May 2009, 12:04

Solid....Very Solid!

The keyboard is amazing...and even though the ! ? keys are on a different screen, it's not that big of a deal.  The music player found all my music ...though I was surprised I had to tell it to look for my music...again, not that big of a deal.  SO, it's a phone, and it's a great one. Great call quality, loud, and a good signal. The dual hinge design works great and feels very solid. It also lets you start with the flip up, and then lets you rotate the phone to the full keyboard position without losing the message. You can email mp3 ringtones to the phone and save em as ringtones, as well as qcp and mid files.  The Power button while it won't let you turn off the phone with the flip closed, it will let you with a press and slight hold, see the front screen without unlocking it....handy for checking the time.

Pros

• VERY solid build. Good music player. Very large LCD inside. Loud crisp volume when needed. Excellent speaker phone as well, that works with the lid closed. Lets you save lots of ringtones

Cons

• Mediocre camera. My 2.0mp camera on my EnV 2 was much crisper and clearer. I wish the E Ink keys were programmable......I would make the large mail key a send key instead.

David C
posted on 13 May 2009, 23:34

Beautiful Phone

i love this thing it can be a bit slow sat times, but it's not enough to make me want to return it...it's a very slight lag.
not many complaints about it, except i wish it came with a music/multimedia cable along with the phone. besides that, no problems whatsoever.

Pros

• Nice, big screen
  • awesome eye catching keyboard
  • not too heavy, not too light
  • dedicated new text message button
  • dual flip design

Cons

• wish battery would last a bit longer
  • mediocre camera

MzImpression
posted on 13 May 2009, 09:06

This phone is a great little feature phone, especially for those who find texting tedious on a number pad. It has great voice clarity, a razor sharp screen and --so far at least--reasonable battery life. They e-ink keyboard is a real pleasure to use and functions perfectly. Especially helpful are dedicated keys for bluetooth, camera, and messaging.

Pros

• Dual flip form factor is convenient and compact
  • Very good voice quality
  • Main screen is bright, sharp and colorful
  • Magic Keyboard is a brilliant idea executed well

Cons

• The styling could be a bit more inspired.

posted on 12 May 2009, 14:22

Great Phone! Go Get Yourself One Today

Other than the few cons listed below, it is the greatest phone I have ever had.  Easy to use, and buy one get one free!  It was between this and the HTC diamond and I'm glad i didn't waste the extra 1000 dollars (350 + 720 for data plan).

Pros

• Great Screen
  • BEST KEYBOARD EVER, changes flawlessly
  • Power Button on the Side, does not work unless phone is open
  • Awesome Short Cut Keys

Cons

• You have to change keyboard to symbols to get ! and ?
  • No ESPN MVP yet, fingers crossed
  • Verizon music sucks. Only picked up 65 of my 220 songs from Itunes