BlackBerry Storm 9530 User Reviews

Build quality7.8/10
Text input5.8/10
Everyday usage5.3/10

thegodfishy
posted on 03 Jun 2009, 10:40 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jun 2009)

THE UPDATE DID THE TRICK

HONESTLY IVE OWNED THE STORM AS SOON AS IT CAME OUT AND I MUST SAY IT WAS ONE PROBLEM AFTER ANOTHER FINNALY WHEN THE UPDATE CAME OUT IT WAS GREAT THIS PHONE DOES IT ALL I CAN DO SOO MUCH WITH THIS PHONE ALL THE APPS WORK OUT GREAT NOW AND I CAN USE ALL MY THEAMS IT IS TRULY A USER COUSTMIZABLE PHONE NOW THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE VERIZON THIS PHONE NOW RULZ ONCE AGIAN AWSOME CAMARA WONDERFUL SOUND AND GREAT WAYS TO MAKE IT JUST YOUR PHONE.

Pros

• AFTER THE UPDATE EVERYTHING

Cons

• AFTER THE UPDATE NOTHING

urnikkachris
posted on 30 May 2009, 01:20 (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 May 2009)

THE EDITOR NEEDS TO REVIEW THIS PHONE AGAIN AFTER SUNDAY !!!

The editor seriously needs to review this phone again after the os 4.7.0.148 version goes official on sunday 5/31. I am telling you that this version is great. my friend does experiments with leaked os's and i tried it out and i fell in love with it. i was thinking about trying it on mine but then i heard about it becoming official last night so i will wait for the official one.

Pros

• everything will be perfect on Sunday

Cons

• nothing after 3pm on Sunday

Fred
posted on 15 May 2009, 22:03

Update the OS and you'll be in love with your phone again!

I completely agree with every that has already complained about the bugs and lags.  I was ready to toss in the towel with this phone when I did a google search for "STORM OS LEAK DOWNLOAD".  There are tons of reviews and an ample amount of locations hosting the file. You can get thorough knowledge @crackberry.com or from the boygeniusreport.com as well as several videos detailing the changes via youtube.
To be brief, I am now running OS v. 4.7.0.132 and here are the results:

More free memory = less random crashing and reboots and apps running smoother
FULL keyboard in portrait orientation
Camera now operates as it should and you can take a picture in a few seconds
When you lock the phone the screen is deactivated and doesn't respond to touch or press, you have to press an actual button.

posted on 15 May 2009, 13:48

I really wanted to like this phone

I've been using Windows Mobile device for the past 2 years. It was working fine but I got bored with it.  When I got the Storm, I noticed some slowness and sluggishness but overall I liked it.  As the time passed and I used more features of the phone, it started to get annoying.  Constant freezing and stopping and rebooting is now getting on my nerves.  It seems like the Storm operating system was not designed for a touch screen phone.  Some basic features like calling a contact, require a lot of clicking and scrolling.  There's no way to just start typing a name in the phone application and get an automatic list of contacts.  Typing on this phone is pretty good, touch keyboard is pretty responsive.  Call quality is sub par, I get better quality from my bluetooth head set then from the phone speaker.  Internet connectivity is pretty slow.  Google maps application takes a really long time to refresh maps and overall browsing experience is not that great just because of the rendering speed.  E-mail and messaging is great, as it should be with a Blackberry.  Only thing that is annoying is that there is no option to call sender, when receiving text messages.  This phone has an accelerometer, but as other features of thsi phone, it is very slow and unresponsive at times.  Camera is pretty useless.  It's a 3.2MP, but quality is very poor and it is impossible to take a decent photo unless the subject is staying...

Pros

• Great screen, good e-mail options

Cons

• Slow, buggy, useless camera, restarts itself all the time, slow, sound quality is sub par, SLOW and nonresponsive

M Davis
posted on 07 May 2009, 15:55

The storm is a very misunderstood device.  Does it have some issues; What phone doesn't.  It still is less problematic than any windows device  have ever used.  Often I find that reviews of the device are written before the writer took the time to learn how to use some of the device features they are complaining about.
Having said that there are some areas I see a need for improvement:
1) When addressing a MMS you must find the name instead of just type it like in text and email.
2) When addressing a MMS to a use once number you have to scroll to the top or delete a u.  Why can't I just press the menu for this option?
3) Bluetooth transfer of any file is a pain.  Windows is actually better here.  I may want to transfer something other than a media file.  I realize that contacts can be done, but even those who have done it are not sure how it works.
4) Udate teh software already.  I have heard all of the fixes that will be in the software, but its been months and not even a solid release date for the legit software.
5) RAM.  WHERE IS IT.  This device suffers from a memory shortage.  I keep my memory clean and manage the addons very carefully.  But a simmple memory increas from RIM would have gone a long way.

djmattyd
posted on 25 Apr 2009, 09:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 08 Apr 2009)

The Best Phone I Ever Had

This phone is the best out their in my prospective......I truly love the big bright screen, i have big hands so it is good for me...There are soooooooooooo many things on the phone..The calls crisp..the network is flawless...i love the bilt in keyboard...its yhe best for typing...it lights up the bottons so if u travle and or just use it in the bark its the best phone for u.....ok now here is were we get problem wit people....no 3g.oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a phone.i had no problems with out 3g...i go walking..i have internet...i go on vacation..i have internet....i go anywhere i have internet..just because it doesnt have ur 3g doesnt mean ur internet is not guna work its just a little slower OK big freakin deal..its a new phone from blackberry give it time and ur storm will have 3g...the sound perfect...mp3 player up to 16 gb not bad for those iphone lovers..there crap anyway..ya thats right i went there.....come back to me when i dont have to pay money for music.......navigator no better than ur 200 300 400 or more hundred dollar navagation systems...camera..pretty good 3.2mp not too bad if u ask me...then u have all ur setting and games..also u can get ur email on there so u can cheak ur emails on the go..the 4 bottons on the bottom i gota say u wont be able to use the phone wit out em...well thats it for right now.......all in all the phone is a really really really really really really..aw no its the BEST

Pros

• EVERYTHING..and thats a fact

Cons

• Sorry i couldnt put anything in this box....the phone is too good for it

Danielle_syl22
posted on 16 Apr 2009, 09:57

Blackberry My only True Love

I really didn't want to buy the blackberry storm, b/c of all the crappy thing that I heard about it..but I bought it after being convinced by the salesman that it was a good phone. He assured me that I could bring it back if I didn't like it after thrity days. After about a day of learning the ins and outs of the blackberry menu etc..I LOVED IT!! I have many of my iTunes music files on the phone and a Hello Kitty theme which I love and found for free online. My bill only went up buy 26 bucks since there is a 20% discount on the media package if you work for the state! I love the blackberry messanger, and the camera is very clear and the video camera is even better..great sound.  I only charge mine every other night. But one the battery gets low it runs out quickly. Basically when I go somewhere all I need now is my blackberry! Its my laptop, digital camera and ipod all rolled into one.  I even use the microsoft and excel programs to finish up work when I'm on the bus or in a waiting room. I love it!!

Pros

• Music player
  • Internet Speed
  • Microsoft program

Cons

• Doesn't have the common BB charger

TomTom-Planner
posted on 24 Mar 2009, 12:20

IT project Manager

I heard so much greatthings when it first cam out by editors etc.  But when I got my hands on it it was okay wasn't great.  Its only great for Emails, websurfing, attchment reviewing, but as for phone is mediocore.  the screen pretty much lags & the keys rare really difficult to navigate when typing up an email or sms.  everything else is okay.  I should have given the curve or LZG dare a try.

Pros

• great web surfing capability, excellent email receptions, greatr camera it has a 3.2 Speaker is loud & crisp.

Cons

• screen lags, especially when I rotate fronm portrait to landscape. Key pad or the qwerty keybaord is too small. No voice readback a call comes in & there's no auto pick up when in head set mode.

Pholey22
posted on 18 Mar 2009, 17:51

The Storm ROCKS!!

The Storm is MUCH better now than when it released...as it should be.  Several very intuitive individuals have taken it upon themselves to modify the OS.  There is a 4.7.0.114 Hybrid OS floating around.  I have it on my Storm and I must say it is awesome!!  I have used every leaked OS to date and this one definately takes the cake!!  The SurePress technology is brilliant!!  The phone is very fast, screen resolution is amazing and you can back the phone and all data very easily (as with all Blackberrys).  I will never own another phone....unless its the Storm 2!!  haha

shultzjordan
posted on 22 Feb 2009, 20:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Feb 2009)

Storm 9530 review not bad all the time

So ive had the phone for about a month and have came to the conclusion that i love it. Ive had many issues with lagging and freezing, but i went to verizon and they said that new software coming soon but for now take out the battery every day and it works perfect. Sometimes it can be funky, once the camera poped on during texting and wouldnt go off it was on a one ince screen. But before software comes out i wouldnt recommend if you NEED your phone to be relable.

Pros

• Fast Internet
  • Quick Email
  • Full Headphone Jack

• No Pictures in Email
  • Hard to plug in for charging
  • PC software is lacking
  • Scratches easy
  • Jumps between portrait and landscape mode

jrappy87
posted on 06 Feb 2009, 14:22

awesome phone

I've read pages and pages of reviews, but I decided to get the phone anyway. I went from the samsung sch-A950, to the voyager, and now to the storm. So this is the first blackberry i have had. The only thing i miss from the voyager is the get it now stuff. Like vcast song id or other vcast stuff and some games i had.
 It feels nice and solid in my hand. I like it cause it's thinner than the voyager. I've had it since January 23rd and am very satisfied. The screen blows the voyagers screen out of the park. just the slightest touch scrolls web pages, reminds me of the iphone screen. i have no trouble at all with the keyboard. when i do type the wrong letter it auto corrects me 95% of the time with the right word. i love having the option of T9 predictive text in portraight mode, in case i am doing something with the other hand. I like how there is the normal headphone jack, unlike the voyager. the sound quality is awesome. most of the time i cant even tell im talking on a cell phone.
I have had no issues with the accelerometer. The screen orients any way i turn the blackberry. It also turns fast most of the time. I like having the 4 hard keys. Also, i like the indicator light when i get an email or text message. I also like you can change the vibrate amount, and length. Right now when i get a text message, it vibrates 5 times in a row. WIth my voyager it did one long vibrate. I have had to pull the battery 3 times since i got it. Once on blackberry maps and on the camera. I...

Pros

• the screen is bright, beautiful and big
  • I love the click screen
  • i receive emails instantly
  • i can get pdf emails
  • sleek design
  • camera with flash
  • very nice notification options for emails and texts
  • app store coming soon
  • google maps and bb maps
  • vcast music
  • comes with an 8gb card

Cons

• camera takes a long time to take pics
  • the screen moves around literally
  • light shines through the edges and buttons
  • glitchy sometimes

fact finder
posted on 02 Feb 2009, 15:54

NOT Die Hard Verizon and BlackBerry User

First off let me say that the Iphone is better then the storm then let me say the user "Die Hard Verizon and BlackBerry User"  seem to not to understand this is a blackberry not an Iphone its a push emailing device which is great for MS exchange, Novell Groupwise im an IT guy who set up Blackberry's for our shop the Iphone is not even in the same league when it comes to email capablites as a blackberry you cant MMS with an iphone yet ,......different strokes for different folks as sly stone would say.  this device may not be comparable to an iphone in fact if your looking for an iphone substitute look somewhere else. but if you work in the coorporate world where you recieve hundreds of emails per day as i do this phone is great.

Pros

• Email compatibilities
  • Touch is capasitive rather than resistive
  • Java intergration in apps

Cons

• OS laggy
  • No WIFI

urnikkachris
posted on 30 Jan 2009, 19:40

i looooooooooooooooove this phone

in my life ive only had two phones. they were the razer v3 and ofcourse the storm. i know ive only had two phones but that doesnt mean i havent had any other experiences with other phones. i hated the iphone. you might as well get the i touch and a regular phone. but the storm is the best phone ever in my opinion. im not saying that its the best because i have it but because i have great control over the screen. im an incredibly fast typer on this phone. i do my homework on it alot. and the click helps too because you cant make a mistake if you just touch the screen. the browser is incredibly fast on my phone. the only problems ive had with the phone is that the camera starts up and just gets stuk there, its laggy, and at first  the corners wouldnt click but for those who still have this problem just get a piece of paper from a printer and cut a rectangle that forms a square when folded once.

Pros

• easy touch screen in my opinion
  • great features
  • nice click when you fix it up like i said
  • great mp3 and 4 player

Cons

• sometimes laggy but not frequent
  • frezez once in a while

bubbu
posted on 27 Jan 2009, 18:59

Storm!

I love Verizon! I have this phone, I got it as soon as I possibly could because I was so excited!
The Blackberry Storm is just that! It rains down thunder, hail, high winds, and devistation on everything Blackberry has come to be known for. This phone really is slow, VERY glitchy, and extremely stupid compared to other Blackberry devices as far as predicting text inputs and figuring out where you actually clicked. Now it isn't just my device because I have used several other of my friends Storms and all the same issues are there. Bad move on RIM's part for putting this out. They need to quickly release some form of the Bold on Verizon's network to make up for it.

Pros

Cons

• No WiFi

Die Hard Verizon and BlackBerry User
posted on 27 Jan 2009, 14:55

Who's writing these reviews?

To read these reviews posted is laughable.  Now before you go assume I am a BlackBerry or Verizon hater or even an iPhone lover; take note:  I am a die hard Verizon fan and don't own an iPhone (although most of my friends do; despite the fact that Verizon's phone line up (IMO) runs last among the major carriers, that doesn't change the fact that I love Verizon.  However to read the positive reviews for the Storm I cannot help but take the time to put in my 2 cents.
Our company has a huge account with Verizon and when it comes to smartphones we deploy BlackBerry devices exclusively.  I am the Verizon account manager at my company so I have the luxury of using any new model that comes out.  I was one of the many who couldn't wait for the Storm, but now that it's here I wish they wouldn't have bothered.  Don't get me wrong, there are some great things about the Storm, but if you are in a corporate environment this device is pitiful.
Within 1 week of giving this to both the CEO and the COO of our company they returned the devices to go back to their 8830's.  Our CEO even made it a point to say the device was not good for Corporate use; not efficient.  We ordered 10 Storms as soon as they came out and besides one person, they have all been returned to me.  I have redeployed some of them and even those are already coming back to me.  At the end of the day it is a good device if you want to listen...

Pros

• Touchscreen BlackBerry
  • Great (Huge) Screen (movies, pictures, video)
  • Nice new BlackBerry features because of the touchscreen

Cons

• Non multi touch
  • Click through technology
  • Typing is slow, inaccurate and cumbersome/tiring
  • Extremely slow between applications
  • Problems with video recording (shuts off on its own) and sometimes doesn't save the file.
  • Slow camera
  • Bad transition between song tracks, there is a delay, not a smooth transition

techjunkie
posted on 23 Jan 2009, 19:05 (Posts: 13; Member since: 23 Jan 2009)

Don't belive the reviews!

This is a great phone, at&t finally has some comp for the apple beast, i owned an iphone its great but its more for collage kids certainly aimed towards sub 25 years of age.The storm on the other hand while its not as feature rich nor supported with apps and software like the iphone is a remarkable device enough to appeal too people over 25,it's blackberry without the keyboard while the software has some minor bugs they are easy to look past

Pros

• the whole package

Cons

• need some apple like app store or itunes in blackberry flavor

Dbajpai
posted on 18 Jan 2009, 12:33

Don't believe the review! Decent iphone alternative

I think the review this phone received was unfair. In fact, I originally didn't give this phone a chance and got an Omnia instead (which I hated and returned, btw. winmo needs to die). Finally in frustration I tried the Storm, not expecting much. Since I've had it, I've grown to like the phone more and more. It's a great alternative to an iphone, if you're going to use it for music, video, internet, etc. The phone is no more laggy than an iphone (it just doesn't have the flashy transitions that iphone does). If you need a real qwerty, get something else, but I rarely type long diatribes on my phone, mostly short responses, and this is more than adequate for that. The screen on this thing is amazing (better than iphone), plus you can multi-task unlike the iphone. I regularly listen to Slacker Radio and surf the internet, which I can't do on the iphone. The surepress thing took a couple days to get used to. I don't think it adds much to the phone, but it doesn't subtract either. You gain some functionality, like the ability to select an option and open a contextual menu without activating anything; but typing is slowed to an extent.
I get through an entire day of use- watching tv shows, listening to and downloading podcasts, calling, sms, internet, with some battery life left. I get a couple extra hours over the Omnia, which I used for a month.
I also want to give an extra shout-out to podtrapper. I listen to podcasts a lot, and podtrapper is an excellent program for downloading...

Pros

• Look and feel of the device
  • Multi-tasking
  • Push email
  • Verizon
  • Sure-press
  • Podtrapper
  • Unlocked GPS
  • Screen quality
  • Better battery life than Omnia
  • Adaptability (compared to iphone)
  • The likelihood that it's going to get even better

Cons

• Sure-press (sometimes meh)
  • Menu choices not always intuitive
  • No accelerated scrolling (flickability)
  • No multi-touch
  • App store not going yet (I've read it may be tied to the carrier?)
  • Gap around screen

dongdou
posted on 18 Jan 2009, 10:15 (Posts: 49; Member since: 18 Jan 2009)

This phone rocks!

It is the greatest device to happpen to me since the invention of the Voyager. I like the fact I have a big full keybord. I like turning it sideways and getting the text screen to follow. Sorry I phone you cramp my thumbs with your small keyboard.   i also like knowing where I am clicking on the phone with the touch click I can do that. I phone again i'm sorry I need a removable batt. and peice of mind with insurance.

Pros

• Is on the VZW network. touch click screen. LCD screen, 3.2 meg camera, And the html web browser. the list goes on

Cons

• It's popularity made it hard to get ahold of.

VZW_Fan_005
posted on 17 Jan 2009, 11:35

BlackBerry User

I've been using a BlackBerry hanheld device since 2003. I started off with the 6750 device, which was okay for the time. It had email, web, service, and was not too ugly for the cell phone comparisions in that year. It had a black and white display with limited tools, but it was the second release of "BlackBerry". Then I got the BlackBerry 7100V. I liked it because it was a new design for the blackberry company, and it featured a color display and more options. That was about two years later, in 2005. Accidently dropping the phone 9 months later in my pool, I got the 7130E since I was a Verizon user. I loved it so much that I kept it up until 2008. 3 years- meaning I extended my contract for $90 more to have an extra year. It was unbelieveable. In 2008, Curve 8330 for Verizon. I LOVED THAT PHONE! I just had it about two weeks ago, but when I was at the airport, I lost it somewhere in a bathroom. I had insurance, so I got a phone for about $60 off. That phone, was indeed the BLACKBERRY STORM! The touchscreen is probably my favorite part because you can click it instead of just use a regular touch screen, which most phones offer like the iPhone 3G and the Samsung Omnia (both owned by my nearest and dearest family friends). The storm has a pretty good price at $199.99 and $24.99 a month for unlimited emailing and web browser service. I love how it only has 4 buttons and the design is pretty good and it's a nice size. It's just so amazing, I don't get why it got a 6.0. It's...

Pros

• $24.99 a month for unltd. web browser, emailing etc
  • $199 for the phone
  • Fast processor
  • Clicker Touchscreen
  • Great features
  • 4 buttons only

Cons

• none really!

posted on 11 Jan 2009, 11:10

I love it.

Although there are many reviews bashing the storm, I purchased it two days after it was released and loved it. The only problem I have had was after it had fallen once the screen no longer clicked. Other than that I have loved it and gotten used to all of its features! I check my facebook and email , it works great!

• Browser

• Delicacy

NEvzwTech
posted on 03 Jan 2009, 08:39

A calm in the Storm

This is my Storm review. I have had cell phones on a consistent basis since 1996, and have had smartphones since 2004. These phones include a Palm Treo 600, 650, 700p on Sprint, and a Treo 650, Motorola Q Black, Q9m, Blackberry 8830,  HTC xv6800, Samsung i760, and the newly-released Omnia.
The Omnia was a toss-up against the Storm back in November. I was hesitant about the Storm because of the initial reviews, so I went with the Omnia. I liked the Omnia after the second one (the first one had terrible battery life), but as I was approaching the end of my 30 day WFG period, I took another look at the Storm.
Ultimately, I went with the Storm because WinMo phones no longer held any mystery for me. I am a tech geek, so I like to play with different technology at times.
So I got the Storm. I didn’t have any problems getting used to the touch screen (remember, the Omnia was my first touchscreen phone), so I went right to work.
The Storm has all of the features of my 8830 and more, plus that beautiful screen. I have already converted an AVI file of the Incredible Hulk onto it to show off its capabilities. MP4 movies play great with no lag. Every time I show it off, people want to buy it. The music abilities are great for a smartphone. I play music when I have to wait for something, so having a copy of Hotel California is a great way to kill time. I like the camera just about as well as I did on the Omnia, but it does take a bit of time to take a pic. Hopefully,...

• Interface
  • Organizer
  • E-mail
  • Call quality

Cons

• I guess if I have to pick one, battery life

nasty nate
posted on 02 Jan 2009, 23:13

okay here's the deal. alot of the negative reviews are from people who played with the storm for a day or two or maybe even an hour or two. I hated this phone the second, third, forth day I had it but now after two weeks Im starting to actually like it alot. Besides, there's nothing better IMO offered from verizon right now. the little quirks aren't that bad at all and the pro's definitely outweigh the cons. the worst offense being the lag when picture taking,, I turned the picture size down to medium and its a little faster but on large its a joke how long it takes to snap a shot. this phone does alot of things right and is really fun to customize and play with, but you gotta give it some time to become comfortable with it.

Pros

• calander
  • youtube
  • visual voicemail
  • stunning display
  • speaker

Cons

• picture taking speed

Moose
posted on 31 Dec 2008, 16:56

NICE

this phone is great in all i gotta say, email is really easy too use, but the QWERTY takes some getting used too.  The 20 key QWERTY is REALLY REALLY easy to use.  Web browser is really cool and easy to get around, its a little slow. The speaker on the phone is loud and clear for music and, call quality was clear with no backround noise. Overall this phone is great to have.

Pros

• great web browser
  • email is easy to use
  • great 20 key board
  • great call quality
  • music is loud and clear

Cons

• QWERTY board takes some getting used too
  • phone can be slow at times

posted on 29 Dec 2008, 12:22

Very Disappointed

I was excited to get my hands on one then my buddy bought one. I played with it and was very disappointed. Of course the iphone takes the cake as always. The resolution was ok, but was not happy at all with the texting. I really miss the track ball and was hoping they would have that on this device. When flipping the phone side to side, it lags and sometimes it does not switch at all or it will on its own. On the other hand the battery does last longer. All in all it is slow and bulky. There are other reviews saying "stick with reviews to this device only", well how can you not compare to other phones when blackberry tried to mimic the iphone in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love the blackberry and had a few. Loved the pearl which was my first phone I purchased. In the end, I did purchase the iphone and I'm very happy with it.

posted on 21 Dec 2008, 02:14

I've been using a work Blackberry for over a year, (AT&T 8800), and really wanted one of my own so I didn't have to mix personal contacts etc.  The Storm 9530 is extremely easy to transition to for experienced BlackBerry users, but I am not certain it's for everybody.  BlackBerry devices are very complex, and while easy to use once you get used to them, they aren't for everybody.  If you're looking for a capable, all-around phone/do-everything device, I'm convinced that BlackBerries are the way to go.

Having said all that, if you're a Berry enthusiast, you're going to like this device, even with the bugs (which every high-profile rollout has, just ask Apple, AT&T and RIM about the Bold and iPhone).

About the bugs...there aren't as many as I thought there could have been.  At first glance, I'd say there will be many observations about battery life, application launches and screen transitions.  Also, it's known that this is BB OS with a touch navigation features added, so the biggest bug I've seen so far is the screen sometimes doesn't respond to inputs on the first attempt.

In the first 36 hours I've had the phone, it locked up, I did a battery pull.

About everything else...the screen is vivid, beautiful.  On the whole, the basic RIM apps work flawlessly (BB Messenger, etc).  The other rich content features seem to work well enough, I've not tried to do anything with Flickr or Facebook apps yet....