Pantech Breakout User Reviews

Reception6.3/10
Build quality6.7/10
Text input7.7/10

starsfaninkc
posted on 03 Feb 2014, 10:59 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)

Do not buy

starsfaninkc has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Was swayed by a Verizon sales liar that the Outbreak was the best thing to get. Bought it outright and for a few months it was a good phone. Then things started going south. The biggest issue with this mobile pile of phonepoop is that there are never updates and the internal memory is tooooooo daaaamn small. Witht eh 50 apps preloaded on it there is little room for additional and even with all my pics being on the SD card to clear out the internal memory for the room it's supposed to have, I have to have a complete reset performed. Inbound texts get "REJECTED" and not stored or anything so I don't know who or what messages I have missed. The battery will go from green to red during power up and then shut down, battery life is soometimes decent but its not a smart phone. I have three apps on the phone and once it's financially permissable this phone will be trashed, I won't even let me daughter play with it as it's not worth her having in her toddler hands. this "smart phone" belongs on the "short bus"

Pros

• its a phone, not a smart phone

Cons

• memory, no updates

jake92195
posted on 05 Mar 2013, 13:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Sep 2009)

Why all the hate on this model? It's solid!

jake92195 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

After my Samsung Fascinate gave out after over 2 years of use, I bought my Pantech Breakout at a low cost through a third-party seller. The technical specs are nearly on par with the Fascinate - aside from not having a camera flash, and adding 4G LTE and a front camera, the specs between the two models are identical.

I have found this phone to be a better performer than my ol' trusty Fascinate in nearly all areas. Despite having the same processor, this phone seems to run much smoother. Scrolling is always fluid without any lag, unless there are a large number of apps running. I have installed an app called "Android Task Manager" from the Play Store to manage this - works well. I also don't have any force closing issues, which I ran into quite frequently on the Fascinate.

The thing that appeals the most about this phone to me is having access to Verizon's lightning fast 4G LTE network. Using Ookla's Speedtest app, I attained a download speeed of 6165 kbps and an upload speed of 1027 kbps over my home Wi-Fi connection. However, when connected to LTE, I achieved 17854/7643 kbps respectively. This is excellent. Anyone who has used Verizon's 3G EV-DO knows that it has a tendency to be painfully slow. With this phone, I no longer have that issue.

I have noticed there have been many complaints about battery life on this particular model. I will admit, the battery life is not anything to rave about. I usually achieve 10 to 12 hours with moderate to heavy use - I do a lot of Twitter/Facebook...

Pros

• Verizon's superb 4G LTE network
  • Solid build quality
  • Decent battery life
  • Physical Android control buttons
  • Low cost

Cons

• Low internal memory
  • Inconsistent signal strength
  • Mediocre audio quality through headphones
  • Screen hard to view in sunlight
  • Not-so-great stock Android software

VanessaSimerson
posted on 22 Dec 2012, 09:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)

I have never wanted to crush anything more than this phone!

VanessaSimerson has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I purchased this phone in October 2011. Since the first month of having it, I have had to replace the SD card, SIM Card, and just recently the phone itself. I have lost photos of my Daughter games, Dinner dates out with friends, and so much more. I patiently dealt with this phone for a year. I had to replacing the SD card about every month. It would just turn off at random times, which ticked my husband off AT ME. It would freeze in the middle of recording a video so I would have half of a final cheer that my daughter did , this is something that they practiced for MONTHS to get right , and thank to this phone I missed it all together just trying to get it to come back on the get the end of the cheer. Thanks goodness one of the other parents had a video camera. And before you rag on me for not bringing a video camera in the first place….. You would think if you purchase something that was NOT A PIECE OF JUNK, it would have worked. Then when I call Verizon to make it better, the refuse to let me speak to a manager. And told me my options are replacing this phone with something else , but I still had to pay for the battery and the back of the phone …. I bought a phone intact …. Purchase an un godly amount of SD CARD’s. Replaced the SIMS card’s , Lost pictures you can’t get back. Never once did I complain. I sucked it up and went on …. So now I am stuck with about 20 SD Cards…. Another phone coming to me that was my only option and additional 50 Bucks out of my pocket …. Anyone...