Palm Pre User Reviews

UI speed8.5/10

Lonetexter01
posted on 28 Aug 2009, 08:39

had better

This phone is not what I had hoped for.The screen and the os are ok. I dont feel they are as good as phone Arena says.I do like Phone Arena though.Build may not be Cheep but it feels that way to me.I would like to see it with a larger screen.Not really my cup of tea.

Pros

• Small if you like small
  • screen is clear
  • Multitasking

Cons

• Feel of phone
  • Didn't find as fast as others have said
  • Key pad not useful if you have big hands

Data man
posted on 27 Aug 2009, 08:29

Cheap!

Very cheap built phone.Not at all what I expected.Doesnt operate all that well either.

Pros

• Screen is ok but small

Cons

• Hot a lot
  • Cheap!
  • Slows down a lot

Leon Stancil
posted on 24 Aug 2009, 15:15

Exceeded my expectations

I am/was  a proud Blackberry user not sold on the new "fadish" touch screen phones.  That was prior to Aug 16th 2009 the day I recieved my Palm Pre.  This phone kicks Assets.  The touch screen is super responsive the screen is crystal clear and the Broswer is excellent.  I've read the negative reviews and I think to myself wow what phone are they using?  I find it hard to believe that more than a handful of people waited for the Palm Pre didn't like then chose to get the iPhone.  We all know that Apple groupiesdon't try other products first!  To keep it real the phone does have a few drawbacks the biggest drawback is the Battery life!  Don't leave home wihtout a car charger.  That being said the phoen is great.  If you are on the fence go get it.  try it for a week.    Keep it mind it's in the infant stages of it's OS being developed so there are some irritants but i'm looking forward to seeing this phone grow.  Watch out Apple your lead dog status is at risk

Pros

• Multi functionality!!! No software update will allow the iPhone to do that!
  • screen clarity
  • quality camera
  • responsive touchscreen
  • cool apps...yes cool apps
  • phone can be hacked to add over 2000 apss
  • browser
  • network speed

Cons

• no video camera
  • battery life sucks!!
  • sharp edges
  • can't forward text
  • it's not made by apple........just kidding

Windsponge
posted on 24 Aug 2009, 11:11

9.9 are you joking?

I can not see how you rated this phone 9.9. It isn't even close to I Phone. So it has a key pad what a joke. One of my thumbs cover over half of it up. I can not use it. Cheep is all I can say about the feel of the phone. I know some people like small but this is why it over heats.Im going back to my I Phone. Sorry about comparing the two but you rated the pre way too high.

Pros

• Screen is ok but small

Cons

• Key pad is junk
  • Phone feels like toy not good at all

Britt
posted on 21 Aug 2009, 15:32

OK

I have had the Pre for 2 weeks now. I keep it in the palm case and have the ZAGG front and rear screen protectors on it since day one to eliminate finger prints. All of a sudden last night, the touch screen doesn't work, I can't answer a call even by sliding the keyboard out, and it cuts off when I slide the keyboard out. So I am taking it back and getting an IPHONE. Also disappointed with the apps, I mean they have a few but most are demos, for example Connect 4, you have to delete and reinstall after 10 games, annoying! There's only a few more games to choose from. The best APP is the ACCuweather, Overall, besides the phone just quitting on me, it could be a really awesome phone in the future. There are several bugs that need to be worked out and I am sure in time they will. I am mainly switching to the IPHONE because AT&T seems to have the best coverage in my area.

Pros

• Multi-tasking
  • Descent camera, just wish you could auto focus
  • Will be better in future, phone did just come out, the IPHONE wasn't perfect at first.

Cons

• Battery life of course
  • Lack of APPS
  • Keyboard icons a little small
  • Feels a little cheep

posted on 20 Aug 2009, 05:42

Sorry but phone just sucks. I had 2, both were always in roaming. Many dropped calls and failed texts. I'm in Boston I thought I would have good service. Battery was just horrible. One time after texting for an hour or so the battery was dead it started out at 100%. I got rid of the phone and got the blackberry curve. The curve is much better. I have service everywhere so far. I'm never in roaming.

Phoney
posted on 16 Aug 2009, 14:56 (Posts: 13; Member since: 16 Aug 2009)

had phone for almost 30 days. overall, good features to phone. Lots of negatives (mostly sw issues), but i would have been able to overlook them if sprint didn't suck so bad. i'm a vzw customer trying out sprint because of pre and great price, but damn... felt like i was back in 2000 with all the dropped calls and roaming i entered in NYC/Long Island/CT area. can't put up with that, so returning the phone and cancelling sprint. when roaming, you can't use data... why have a data phone??? also, you lose nav functions. when it comes out on vzw later in the year, i may reconsider. hopefully the sw fixes will be made and needed hw updates. by then, may be better phones out then...
more cons (couldnt fit in list below):
-phone gets red hot after 15 min call and then gets unresponsive. prob cause sprint service sucks and has to use higher power. - can't open up multiple IM clients... Restricted to 1 that makes it annoying to chat with mult ppl. -moving the cursor around using orange key or shift key is often very finicky- i like the idea it just doesn't work the best -cant copy text in old text msgs received- can only copy current msg text being written. -cant get status of txt msgs: e.g. Was it successfully sent? Received? -when composing emails and entering recipients, only contact names are matched. E.g. I started typing in an email address and it did not match it to the contact that has that email address. Email client should match contact name, email, and phone number....

Pros

• -Handy word substitutions. E.g. "u"->"you", "its"->"it's".
  • -Phone looks great.
  • -Love the screen.
  • -Touchscreen responsive.
  • -Accurate and somewhat fast using the on-screen dial pad.
  • -i'm a heavy gmail user, so cloud syncing with gmail works GREAT
  • -nice to have the palm profile backup
  • -touchstone is really awesome (didn't get it though... would have if i stuck with sprint)

Cons

• -Can't search by contact title
  • -No typing correction
  • -Cant search contacts by company
  • -no folder support in photos
  • -no shuffle or slideshow in photos
  • -all too frequently enters roaming service... Sprint issue
  • -in recent call list, it only shows the contact name and provides no insight whether call was e.g. Mobile vs home vs work
  • -battery life poor. Barely make it through 75% of day with minimal usage.

Emeraldayotte
posted on 31 Jul 2009, 21:00

Best Smartphone to date!!

Coming from a Palm Treo, HTC Mogul, and Samsung Instinct S30, this is the BEST phone that Sprint has to offer.  WebOS is a REVOLUTION and one of the more ingenius OSes out there.  In my opinon it is doing what AppleOS did when it first released.

My only knocks on the phone is that battery life could be better.  I leave email, calendar, text messaging and tweed (twitter app) open while at work and I leave with roughly 30% battery left.  Without all those apps running, I still leave work with roughly 60% left.  Coming from an Instinct, I was used to longer battery life but for what I'm getting, I'm willing to put up with it.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY PRE!!!!!

Pros

• Multitasking
  • Synergy
  • Keyboard (it is usable even though small)
  • App Catalog (still in beta but MUCH better than the Sprint alternatives)
  • GORGEOUS SCREEN!!!
  • small and compact
  • App Catalog

Cons

• Battery life could be better
  • App Catalog (still in Beta)
  • no video capture (can be corrected in software update)

sullyfl
posted on 19 Jul 2009, 22:50 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jul 2009)

Feels like using the future

I'm not sure what reviewer Marc is talking about...entire text message conversations can be delted with a single swipe, then confirm.  And you can search for contact by typing in one letter.  Marc (below doesn't know what he's talking about).  Bottom line, if you aren't smart enough to use the Pre, you should probably not be allowed to own a cell phone.  All the basic functions of a smart phone (messaging, email, phone, organizer) are very intuitive and user friendly, which is what makes the great.I like that the Pre isn't trying to be an iPhone.  Instead, it is more business ready (works great with push exchange, not just gmail) with a few fun apps, instead of a majority of fun apps.  It is less of a toy than the iPhone.

Pros

• Gorgeous Screen
  • Keyboard works great
  • Web OS is amazing
  • Calendar
  • Feels like the future

Cons

• Nothing the next get won't take care of

Marc
posted on 19 Jul 2009, 07:33

2.7

This phone cannot perform basic functions

I don't know why no reviewer have mentioned some of the items which this phone lacks that you can find on even the cheapest cellphones:
You cannot delete calls or text messages in bulk.  You must delete them one at a time.
There is no predictive texting and no dictionary.
You cannot access contacts by first letter - you must scroll through the whole list.
The camera has only one adjustment and that is to turn on the flash.  You cannot zoom nor adjust the focus or shutter speed.
I often find myself accidentally hitting keys when talking or moving my hands around the phone.  There is no sensitivity adjustment for the touchscreen.
Most of the user preference setting are rudimentary.  There is very little flexibility in adjusting settings.
I have had this phone for three weeks and no one from Sprint or Palm has been able to tell we how to move my contacts from Sprint's wireless backup to this phone.  It seems that unless you use gmail you are not welcome.
The phone feels great and looks great, but combining the poor battery life with the lack of basic features yields a loser in my book.

Digiburd
posted on 06 Jul 2009, 23:49

The game changer... Palm Pre

I've had the phone for a full month now (i got the phone on launch day) and I must say I agree with this review 100% it is the best phone I've ever had.
I can't explain how much this phone has changed my daily life, but it has in almost every aspect.
If you're debating an iPhone or the Palm Pre, do yourself a favor and go with Sprint and the Palm Pre.

Pros

• Sliding QWERTY keyboard
  • Multitasking (multiple apps running at the same time)
  • Excellent Camera w/flash
  • Killer screen!
  • Size (fits in my pocket) I'm not a holster geek so this is Key
  • Battery Life (after breaking in the battery)
  • webOS is unbeatable
  • Web Browser is super fast and reders pefectly
  • Flash! (coming in Oct)
  • Sprint Everything plan kills AT&T on price
  • Dual Touch Screen
  • MP3 and Video works great

Cons

• No Video (not yet anyway, coming in future webOS release)
  • No Voice Dial (coming soon also)
  • More apps (coming soon)

Phil
posted on 26 Jun 2009, 23:10

If you like your iphone you'll lov this. sprint has the best network service and prices. I switched from the iphone 3g and att to sprint and the pre, it is one of the best money moves i have made seeing as the plan i got was cheaper as well as a better phone

Pros

• Does everything the iphone can and more other then recording vids
  • sprint has amazing service and is the best network after switching from att
  • sprint navigation
  • sprint tv
  • simply everything plan saves you a lot of money for business users compared to other networks
  • sleek design

Cons

• battery sucks unless you turn off gps and email
  • app store doesnt have enough apps but its only been out for a month so you cant judge that i guess
  • no on screen keyboard yet but there will be an app or palm will update it

Jpizzle
posted on 26 Jun 2009, 23:00

Best Phone I've Ever Had

I've had a lot of phones now from the Iphone to the Treo 750 to the Treo pro. This is definently the best phone i've ever had

Pros

• Physical Keyboard ( I can grip a basketball and i still type faster then i did with the i phone)
  • Multitasking I never noticed how much I multitask until I got it
  • Good size (people are saying its fatter then the iphone but it feels better in the hand for sure)
  • Fast Internet with amazing picture quality
  • Wifi
  • Camera does a good job
  • allows to send mms pictures unlike older palms

Cons

• No Flash support for internet though it will be out before the newyear
  • No video recording but palm is working on an app for it
  • battery life isn't as good as blackberrys and iphones but you can buy a better battery online 1400mah to replace the 1150 without having to replace the door as the battery is the same size
  • Pre warms up a bit after long use but if you put it down without use it cools down quick within 3 min

posted on 26 Jun 2009, 20:28

AMAZING PHONE

this is a great phone. the best i have ever owned. the multi tasking is one of the best things about this phone. the screen quality is amazing. the internet is very fast and so is the phone. this is a great phone

John Greenbaum
posted on 24 Jun 2009, 16:42

Decent Phone

Had this phone for a while just to play with it and compare it to my Blackberry. It's a decent phone but still not good enough for me. I don't have much coverage in my area with Sprint so I'm SOL. It has a variety of good features and is a good smartphone. But the cons outweighs the pros for me. See below:

Pros

• Camera with flash
  • Gesture area
  • Multitasking

Cons

• Slide out keyboard
  • Can't type in landscape in the browser
  • Small number of apps
  • No video recording
  • Only 8GB of storage
  • Bad service in my area
  • Hard to type with my thumbs

Damon Williams
posted on 23 Jun 2009, 17:27

Almost Perfect Phone!

I picked up my Pre a few days ago from the Sprint store. The phone does everything I want  it too, and runs very quickly and is quite efficient to use. The accellerometer is particularly snappy. Web browsing speed is satisfactory, although not quite as good as AT&T's 3G on the new iPhone 3GS. The camera flash helps tremendously when snapping pictures in a poorly lit room. Quality applications will make this phjone even better. For people who need more than 8 GB of space, you are out of luck with the pre.

Pros

• WebOS
  • Sprint's network
  • design looks nice
  • Camera flash
  • hardware keyboard
  • sprint navigation

Cons

• sliding doesn't feel great
  • no video (YET)
  • charging port cover
  • only 8GB

Kevin1013
posted on 23 Jun 2009, 16:19

The pre is prefect

Me and my wife both got this phone a few days after the release date. I was coming from a blackberry curve that i love so I was a bit hesitant, but when I played with it in the sprint store I was sold. The internet on this phone is the actual internet and not a hacked up version that you get with most other phones. I notice that the battery does go a bit fast if you sit there and play with several apps at once, but if you use it at a normal pace then you won't have a problem.. THE TOUCHSTONE IS AWSOME .... GET IT!!!!

Pros

• picture quality,internet,texting,synergy,Wi​Fi,memory

Cons

• Battery, apps are not being produced fast enough

T.S. Daily
posted on 22 Jun 2009, 01:04

Eh. Wait for the Palm Post.

A portrait-oriented keyboard? No SDRAM expandability? Can’t synch it just on your computer (and having an constantly updated image of your device IS handy)? A touch screen you can’t use a stylus with, when there are those of us who use Palms for drawing apps when we’re away from the computer, not to mention those who actually liked Graffiti? They should have paid more attention to Palm users, realizing that a Palm is a business and utilitarian device, and not tried to clone the iPhone, which is an overrated toy.  WebOS is incredible, but just not sufficient to coerce me to switch.

Pros

• Web OS (Linux-based!!!)
  • Great camera
  • Accelerometer and sensors work well

Cons

• Can't use a stylus
  • Ergonomically short-sighted
  • Sliding keyboard too "slidey" and oriented the wrong direction

instinct75
posted on 18 Jun 2009, 22:58 (Posts: 22; Member since: 06 Feb 2009)

Best Phone ever

i left my iphone for the pre and i dnt regret it i love my pre!!

Pros

• Roemobable Battery , multitask, fun to use intuitive geture .

Cons

• NO VIDEO RECORDING NO ON SCREEN KEY BOARD!

GoofyGirl
posted on 15 Jun 2009, 14:44

Excellent Device

I'm a fairly finicky phone user - I've had prior Treo's, iPhone, Treo Pro, Pantech Duo, AT&T Tilt, etc.  This phone is so easy to setup and use it's amazing!  It took no time at all to sync contacts from yahoo & facebook - and they merged automatically within themselves also!  Navigation was extremely easy to use on our trip last weekend too! Even after I missed the first turn I was supposed to take!  The camera takes beautiful pictures and uploading photos is a snap!  Battery life is a bit of an issue - but like other reviewers have said before me - IT'S NEW!!  Give it a chance!  We're the ones that are so antsy to try a new product and have been begging for the release!  I love my Palm Treo Pro - I got it at Christmas - but the screen vibrancy and picture taking the Pre are SO much better!!  There are many things about the Pre that are better than the Pro - but then again they are different phones!  The only real complaint I have at this point is that there isn't video recording and you can't change the text message tone - AT ALL.  That's rather frustrating.  I love having individual ringtones - why can't each person have their own ring/text tone?  Is it really that difficult?  But if I had it to do all over again I'd get the Pre!

Pros

• Intuitive
  • Screen brilliancy
  • Synergy

Cons

• Video recording
  • Inability to change text tone

Mo daddy
posted on 15 Jun 2009, 08:49

Best phone yet

Got my pre jan 6 and this is the best phone I ever had or saw. Now my brother has the iphone 3g and personally I liked it but no way does it compare to the pre. Now what I like about the pre is the multitasking and how easy apps and the browser is to control.As far as the battery not a problem because I had an old centro lying around and I charge the battery for it and put it in my pre so its like haveing doubble the battery life. Just hope they update the phone with video

Pros

• Multitasking
  • Camera+flash
  • The feel and size
  • Call quality
  • Reva

Cons

• No video

belve14
posted on 15 Jun 2009, 07:46 (Posts: 113; Member since: 31 Mar 2009)

PRE VS BB STORM AND IPHONE

This phone is the best phone i ever had...it does more things than i have seen any phone do. I have played with the iphone and the bb storm...neither phone compares across the board. The bb storm with its click and its 8,000 problems cant compare. The only big thing the iphone has on the pre is the 8,000 apps. But I hope everyone remembers that this is the 3rd Iphone to come out and the the storm 2 is coming out. This is the 1st PRE TO COME OUT. ANY PHONE THAT COMES OUT WITH THE TECHNOLOGY THAT THIS PHONE HAS THERE IS GOING TO BE PROBLEMS. CAUSE IF NOT THEY WOULD NOT BE COMING OUT WITH THE 3RD IPHONE OR THE 2ND BB STORM. SO PLEASE ANYBODY THAT TRASHES THIS PHONE GIVE ME A BREAK YOU SOUND FUNNY. This phone will have its updates and it will be even better. I love everything about this phone other than the battery life but im sure that will be fixed soon. OH ONE MORE THING THE PHONE IS ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD

Pros

• mutli-tasking
  • camera with flash
  • qwerty keyboard
  • apps
  • gestures
  • fast and easy touch response
  • internet (fast)

• new phone

PartnerPre
posted on 13 Jun 2009, 10:23

Both my wife & I have switched to the Palm Pre and so far we are both very happy with the phone.  We had considered the iPhone for some time now, but honestly don't like the device.  Even the price drop to $99 wasn't enough to sway us from picking up the Pre.  For the record, I have an aluminum iMac, 4 iPods, and plan on getting a Mac Book Pro, so I am definitely an Apple fan.  The Pre's interface is awesome and multitasking is very useful.  Some have complained about battery life, but many of these complaints are coming from people who are running multiple high power use apps at a time.  The reason Apple doesn't allow multiple apps to run on the iPhone at once is likely for batter preservation, as the feature would not be difficult for them to allow. If you are having battery life issues, check out the community support pages at palm.com or the battery tips at precentral.net.

Pros

• User interface
  • Intuitive design
  • Qwerty keyboard
  • Gesture area & function
  • Contact management system
  • Speed & Quality of Sprint's network

Cons

• Fingerprint magnet, but all high end phones are

fshaq
posted on 12 Jun 2009, 17:16

awesome phone

Sprint and palm have put together a great phone.

Pros

• web os
  • muti-tasking
  • universal search

Cons

• no video

cman8
posted on 11 Jun 2009, 17:58

Awesome so far.

Great phone. I have been enjoying it with very few bugs. At first I couldnt get my work email setup and I thought I was going to just throw it through the wall, but once that was set up, Its awesome. Great interface, great color screen (very good resolution). I wish you could put more apps on the dock, but oh well. I have had the phone for a week and so far nothing to make me complain. i like how different apps can stay open, gestures is a great feature. Definately something to choose instead of iPhone. If this is 1st gen. the next one will be awesome. Slide out keyboard is a bit funky but once it gets used a bit it slides out easy. Wish it had a video camera. Another thing is that it doesnt wake from sleep by pressing the middle button you have to press the top power button. All in All a great phone.

• Menus
  • Web OS
  • great UI

Cons

• No video camera
  • No holster
  • Poor battery life
  • Hard USB cover on phone