Nokia N97 US User Reviews

Build quality7.5/10
Text input7.5/10
Multimedia8.5/10

angelsmile5
posted on 03 Feb 2012, 16:30 (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)

So regret buying this phone!

angelsmile5 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Crash and close my apps on its own when run out of memory. Often when i want to check photos, it close everything to have photo open. Open websites slowly. can't turn camera sound off. Too expensive for its quality.

good camera picture quality (with good lighting)

Build quality 6/10 the paint on the edge wears off. I have a white version. On the back side of the front metal, there's a white line in between the plastic and metal. This white line is easily scrap off with a nail and turn black. C drive is sooooo sssmmaallllllllllllllll!!!!!!
Reception 8/10 soso?
Call quality 7/10 Although i can adjust the volume i wanted to hear, I had to repeat my words to the other side many times.
Internet 4/10 so slow!!!!
Multimedia 8/10 does have a lot of features in multimedia.
Camera 8/10 quality is great but i cant turn the snap shoot sound off. I have to turn flash off every time i want to use it.This is very annoying. When i wanted to take a close up shoot, image became very blurry.
UI speed 5/10 it crash my apps constantly. When i turn another direction, the phone respond slowly.
Everyday usage 3/10 sometimes when my phone ring, its not recognizing my swipe to pick up the phone. Sometimes I charge my phone with an outlet, my phone think its connected to a computer...
Text input 5/10 has a qwerty keyboard. the input that comes with the phone, i can't see the message i am responding to. (takes too much space)
Battery 5/10 it was ok at first, then less battery over time.

Pros

• camera picture quality (with good lighting)
  • has qwerty keyboard
  • front camera
  • different sensors.
  • Nokia turn by turn navigation

Cons

• symbian store app
  • C drive very small
  • had to adjust flash everytime
  • sometimes it act crazy
  • can't delect some apps that came with the phone

Ervin
posted on 15 Feb 2011, 12:58

N97 Top-end Trashcan

Ervin has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Was very happy when i bought it. Later was extremely disappointed with its performance. Never buy this phone even at a steal price. Its such a headache to charge it. The phone has hardware charging issues which wont resolve even with the latest firmware. Even if u repair it, the problems show up again just because it charges off its micro usb port. An individual charging jack is missed & its the biggest design flaw.

Build quality 9/10 Micro USB port is what destroyed such a to-be successful device.
Reception 10/10 Excellent
Battery 1/10 No power for such a nice device. Battery doesnt last at all

• WiFi
  • Fast GPS
  • Brilliant Display

Cons

• Micro USB charging
  • improper flash design
  • Battery backup
  • Mermory issues

Brainless
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 14:33

What's up with the bad reviews??

It'd be quite interesting what version of the OS all you reviewers had when you made the reviews.I've owned the N95-NAM  for 2 years and got the N97 about a month ago. When I got it, it was on V10.x firmware, and granted it was a little slow. Upgraded to V20. about 2 weeks ago and speed is almost no issue. This phone makes the N95 look like a fat dog, and I loved the N95. The only thing I miss is the media buttons and the shortcut screen from the N95. But those can be easily replaced with widgets on the N97's main screen.The Accelerometer could use a little boost as I think it's not sensitive enough and isn't triggering portrait/landscape mode fast enough.The A-GPS is a good 3 times faster getting to a GPS than the N95. I can also get GPS connection in my house when I couldn't with the N95. Coulds are also no longer an issue.Not sure what the gripe is about the camera. I used to be an amateur photographer and tend to think I know something about photos. Camera has, in my opinion more features than any other phone and takes very good quality photos for a phone and there is only a handful of phone that has a 5m camera as of now (And, no: I don't think the Iphone's camera is anywhere close to this one). Of course can't compare it with any DSLR cameras out there, but can definitely beat quite a few "point'n shoot" digital cameras out there. The only issue I found with that camera is the beveled piece of plastic right...

Pros

• - Feature packed phone.
  • - Good variety of software available
  • - Ease of use
  • - Similar features from previous NSeries gives previous owners an extremely low learning curve
  • - Faster connection to GPS
  • - Capable of charging via USB

Cons

• - Camera flash over-exposes the right side of the night photo.
  • - Phone design seems to be a little more fragile than the N95
  • - Video and photo features use up lots of battery

Jonathan Martin
posted on 31 Oct 2009, 15:53

I very proud to own one!

This phone is one of the best phones out today in my opinion. The version 20.2.019 update has really improved  my experience with this phone. I'm an Art student and I have take great photos with this phone that I have used for Design/Photograph class. The camera works terrifically and with the version 20.2.019 the kinetic scrolling photo gallery greatly improves navigating through my photos. The memory on my hard disk alone is massive and I never have to worry about not having enough memory for my images, music or videos. I can run multiple Apps and manage my open apps with one push of a button from anywhere on the phone. Performance is good now. It used to lag at times but that seems to have been improved by the 20.2.019 update. N-Gage Gaming is a great smartphone, especially with the offset keyboard. I am a very satisfied customer and I love my Nokia N97 I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great all around smartphone.

Pros

• >Great 5 Megapixal Camera
  • >Run Multible Apps
  • >Video Calling w/ seconday camrea
  • >Easy Navigation
  • >Very easy to Update
  • >Fully Customizable Home Screen
  • >DVD Quality Video
  • >Very Durable

Cons

• > Slow out the box without update

Ba
posted on 22 Sep 2009, 03:32

Best phone

Best phone I ever have. Good design, I love the keyboad and tilted screen. handle 32G of music and video with out and problem. Minor software problem at the initial launch with version 10. No problem after upgrade to firmware 11 and 12.

Pros

• Good design, I love the keyboad and tilted screen. handle 32G of music and video with out and problem.....................

Cons

• Minor software problem at the initial launch with version 10. No problem after upgrade to firmware 11 and 12...........................

posted on 08 Sep 2009, 17:35

Great phone. I love the keyboard and the screen is also very good. Not a big fan of resistive, but in this case, it's no big deal since there is a keyboard. The d-pad is a bit redundant, but good for games. Overall this is a great little phone. I can't wait for what follows in it's footsteps.

posted on 07 Sep 2009, 00:52

Beautiful phone with 32GB of media memory. Querty keyboard is excellent. Software is a little stale, but does it's job fairly well.

Pros

• Good screen
  • Large built in media storage
  • Great QWERTY keyboard
  • Just the right size

Cons

• Software could be better

E.D
posted on 25 Aug 2009, 06:45

Best one

The best cellular ever. nice features great GPS. nice keyboard. great size in hand. great material.

posted on 20 Jul 2009, 08:43

touchscreen is not all that efficient on this phone especially when typing on the touch screen i must always resort to the qwerty keyboard. also it doesn't seem to have the great face detection, i mean when your face is close to the phone it sometimes leaves the touch screen running. Nokia needs to improve and that's something they just aren't doing. the spearkerphone is too quiet even at max volume i can barely hear it. and the headphone jackphone doens't deliver great. sound
i called nokia about the sound issue and they told me to get hearing-aids and they called me old. i'm offended. Nokia U.S is insolent and shameful.

Pros

Cons

• speakerphone is quiet
  • headphone jackphone doesn't deliver great quality or loud sounds.
  • touch screen is rather annoying sometimes
  • camera freezes a lot
  • one of the LED's already died on my phone
  • Nokia's employee's are very insulting towards their customers.

DontHateOnS60
posted on 18 Jul 2009, 12:08 (Posts: 787; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)

The flagship of the Nseries, but not quite the ultimate.

It looks to me as if there are a bunch of people here who simply want to drag the rating down on a phone that is nowhere near as bad as they claim it is. This is from someone who actually has the phone and has been using it for two weeks now. This has been the phone I've been waiting for from Nokia, although it's certainly not everything I want. I've always been a fan of S60 since my N75, and the only thing that I was waiting for was Nokia to turn it into a touch interface and put it on an Nseries. Now I finally have it, and while it's certainly not perfect, it's close.
The keyboard which has been a huge topic of conversation is perfectly fine in terms of layout. I have no issues going from this to my E71. My problem however is the fact that for some odd reason the top and bottom row have a completely different feeling than the middle row, which feels perfect. It's going in under warranty, and hopefully they'll fix it. I had no software issues with mine when I first booted it up, like a number of people had. I am now running v11 firmware and things everything works well 95% of the time. I really like S60 5th. The slider design I think is absolutely brilliant and is very well built. I really have to hand it to Nokia for the size of this device. Someone else in a so called "review" wrote that this has a bulky design. I completely disagree. Considering the fact it has a full keyboard and a camera that sticks out, it's perfect, and I like how it sits perfectly flat on a surface....

Pros

• -The sound quality over headphones is by far the best I’ve ever heard from an Nseries, on par with the 5800.
  • - The screen looks beautiful.
  • - Widget homescreen is fantastic.
  • - Touch screen is responsive for a resistive screen.
  • - Call quality is very good as is signal reception.
  • - Camera quality is very good.
  • - Love the UI despite a few quirky things.
  • - The web browser is fantastic even though multi-touch is missing.
  • - This is the best built Nseries I've layed hands on.

Cons

• - Can be sluggish at times if you really multitask a lot.
  • - Not happy about the mic placement.
  • - Stereo speakers have been tuned for voices and not music playback and aren't as loud as the N95's.
  • - The double tap isn't necessary everywhere, but is useful in certain menus.
  • - Could have used more processing power, more RAM, and more phone memory (not to be confused with the 32GB of mass memory).
  • - Needs kinetic scrolling everywhere, not just in certain things.

posted on 05 Jul 2009, 20:27

i can't believe they launched this phone. what rubbish it is. who even gave them the green light on it's launch? was it a blind and deaf man. this is just cow dung for a phone. sorry nokia but other brands are making better camera phones with better GPS. and on top of that their batteries are better.

• GPS told me to drive into a wall O.o

posted on 28 Jun 2009, 19:37

N97=N95

N97=N95 not much more to. they took an N95 and slapped a touchscreen on it. that's such an apple thing to do. disappointed in this phone. it's not worth buying. might as well get an N95 and save a load of cash. the phone locks up a lot and the receiver is super quiet. it's like it can only whisper. what gives. the screen is sensitive and so are the answer and decline keys. also the slide is made very brittle

posted on 20 Jun 2009, 21:50

If nokia keeps this up then they'll go bankrupt

high-end phone my rear-end. this phone has nothing to offer. it's basically what you can find in the N95 & N96. nothing has changed it's all the same and Nokia thinks that the human population is bunch of dumba***s that'll by the samething in a different looking package. way to go Nokia, you're the next Apple. 5Mpx cam and it's more grainy than a sandy beach. dual-led can't flash for the life of the phone yeesh!

Pros

• large screen

Cons

• it's a N95/N96 repackaged with a touch screen
  • Nokia is runner up Apple selling people the same thing in a different design.
  • Sony or Motorola is number one and i regret leaving those two companies

posted on 19 Jun 2009, 05:34

so much hype for nothing

wow i can't believe all the hype over this phone. it's garbage. i regret buying it. wow i can't believe how much it sucks. it's not fast it's slow. it lacks power. the battery isn't great, it runs down fast. the slider is weak, it's just a small piece of plastic. the keyboard is annoyingly small and your fingers end up hitting multiple buttons at the same time.

Buy This Phone