x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Nokia Lumia 920 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Future of WP8 OS

MunchausenByProxy 08 Sep 2012, 11:05 posted on 1

There has been a lot of speculation in the media about the viability of another phone OS with the imminent entry of Windows Phone 8. Wanted to start a thread to see what the public thinks. Here are some of my thoughts…

I think the original rise of Android was a reaction to the need for an alternative to Apple. There are a lot of Apple-haters out there despite the solid products they bring to market. But Apple phones account for less than 1 in 5 handsets in the world, so the market for an alternative is definitely there. But there are some issues with Android. There is a lot of version fragmentation in the market, and there is not even a standardized OS within versions. This complicates the support and developer programming for this OS. WP8 would eliminate these issues.

Android is also getting hammered with virus and malware attacks, these days. I don’t know that WP8 will necessarily be any better, but I do know that hackers program attacks to hit the largest audience. This means Android at the moment, which makes WP8 a safer alternative.

Finally, with the recent Samsung ruling in Apple’s favor, handset makers are going to need to diversify away from Android to hedge their bets against future lawsuits. That means you will see more WP8 phone coming to market. So ironically, I think the Apple attack is going to end up helping it old adversary, Microsoft. And even if Apple thought it had a new lawsuit against MS, they can’t sue them! Agreements put in place in the early 90’s when Microsoft bailed out Apple will prevent any legal action. So WP8 is the safe option for handset makers as a haven from sue-happy Apple.

While I do not see WP8 exploding onto the market the way Android did, I do think it will see slow but steady growth. First, I expect it will see most of its growth at the expense of Blackberry. WP8 can fill the corporate-blackberry nitch with the same security features our enterprises need. Second, when the Win8 PC OS starts to roll out, people will start to get used to the new Modern UI. I think once people start using the new interface, they will quickly appreciate its usability and versatility. And third, the interoperability between a Windows Phone and a Windows PC cannot be underestimated. The ability to easily move data and programs between the two is something a lot of us have been waiting for. Synchronizing will be a single-click (sorry… touch) away, and finding a useful app on one platform that can be loaded on the other will be crazy-sweet. Yes, MS currently ONLY has 100K apps available, but if they are the right apps, what is the difference. How may Fart apps and other useless junk you don’t need is included in the 600K-650K apps that Android and Apple have, respectively. I think WP8 is the real deal, and is here to stay.

So, tell me what you think. Will WP8 make it, or go down in flames?

posted on 12 Oct 2012, 17:04

1. alainxxx (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)

I agree with, Although I hate MS and windows in general, but we've had enough of android smartphones, they are great but they are all the same, same OS spirit. I hope WP8 succeeds just to make a balance

posted on 02 Nov 2012, 16:56

2. oldhamletman (Posts: 39; Member since: 03 Sep 2011)

first, I don't really classify WP8 as being a new OS, it's clearly an new rev of windows phone.... the app base is well over 100k with all the major apps now and will largely come forward and continue to grow etc.

WP is a sealed OS in theory, so core security etc I assume will continue to be very good.... while I haven't been looking for it, I'm not aware of any malware that is out on windows phone that has any sort of large penetration... in fact I haven't heard of ANY malware on WP... that will change of course as the OS penetrates...

WP in my opinion correctly targets the market segment of people who aren't appleheads and aren't android techy but want to get into smartphones.... the live tile approach is very good and has an applicability thats very smooth for a variety of users. I'm a high end tech guy, but view phones as a tool that I want to 'just work'... I started on Apple, then Android and now I'm on WP... the WP platform is secure, I don't have to fiddle to get things moving, the office hotmail exchange skydrive integration is crazy slick.... so I was able to move my entire technical / office life onto WP in about 1 minute literally.

That brings us to corporate use... I think it's a mistake to pigeonhole WP as simply being a Blackberry eater.... the reason?

with win8 / RT / WP8 .... MS now has a unified OS on phone tablet laptop and PC.... not just looks the same... unified.... apps will become fully portable as it matures, the operatove paradigm is the same, the look and feel.... someone who picks up a WP will automatically know how to use a windows tablet and pc... and the user customizations will automatically propagate across all... one user, 4 devices types, one desktop and user data set....

and THAT is the thing that isn't being talked about much now that will start to dawn on everyone as it matures.... its a single desktop you see on all your devices with no user intervention... no syncing, no fooling around to get things to work, no different apps for pc and phone... one very intuitive live tile user interface everywhere...

MS is really close to doing that, and nobody else is... if they pull that off well... and I don't see any major stumbling blocks to that right now.... it will sell itself in a big way, because it will be easy, unified, and powerful all in one place....

so well see, but my bet is that as Apple continues to lag on headslap stuff like screen size and Android continues to be the land of 2000 shopping list apps and malware.... Windows 8 / phone / RT will really penetrate with that concept....

posted on 14 Nov 2012, 00:08

3. hijack3r (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)

Agreed Microsoft got all the technicalities right this time.But for WP8 to sustain itself in the competition,it has to have a mass appeal.For mass appeal,it also has impress that part of the audience who are not tech-savy. WP looks too serious.Its not a visual treat unlike Andriod. Inspite of all the simplicity Microsoft has added into the OS,it is not picturesque.The interface goes deep. A first timer would find WP8 difficult to get used to as compared to Andriod. Also, once a user adopts WP, Microsoft just abandones 'em, which is quite evident from the fact that Microsoft does not support upgrades.If it wants to see WP8 alive, Mircosoft needs to proactively chase developers to enrich its app ecosystem else, nobody will care as WP dies down.

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 11:28

4. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)

Actually that's not true, MS does update the phones, the first waive of windows phone have recived 3 updates and with the upcoming 7.8 update will be the 4th update.

When it comes to updates, MS has an advantage over Android, because it MS itself who deploys the update not the manufacturer.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories