x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Nokia Lumia 920 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Disappointed

MunchausenByProxy 04 Oct 2012, 17:25 posted on

To Stephen Elop, Nokia CEO,

Congratulation on the amazing release you have in the Lumia 920! It is easily the most innovative phone of the year, and contains the features and services I have been waiting years to find. Stunning design, state-of-the-art camera and screen, free music, augmented reality... the list goes on and on. I have been limping along on one of your feature phones running Symbian, but knew instantly upon seeing the 920 that it would be my first smartphone, and that I would be a first-day purchaser with cash in hand.

At least, that was until I heard today that AT&T would be your exclusive carrier in the U.S. You see, AT&T has a very limited LTE network at the moment, and in fact they won't get LTE in my area until 2014 or 2015 at the earliest (and that is not a given). Perhaps you were unaware, but Verizon services 200+ more markets with its LTE network, which translates to tens-of-millions more potential customers. While I am sure your company was well paid by AT&T for the exclusivity of the 920, I hope in the end it will prove to be the best long-term solution for your company, even though it eliminates such a large segment of the U.S. customer base before the phone actually even goes on sale. Though I am sure your critics will say this is yet another mistake in a long string of missteps that have plagued Nokia over the last two years, I hope this decision will be a benefit to Nokia, and the tens-of-thousands of employees reliant on your judgment.

Although I doubt you will really care about my petty frustrations, it would be stupid of me or any consumer to purchase an LTE phone from a carrier that does not support LTE in their local region, nor has any (published) plans for future coverage. It appears at the moment that the signature Windows Phone 8X from HTC, running on Verizon, will be my only viable alternative if I am to move to the Microsoft platform as I intended. I hear HTC is releasing their flagship phone on at least three of the four largest wireless carriers in the U.S. While I will have to give up all those beautiful innovations in the 920, I will at least have retained my right as a consumer to choose the wireless carrier that is best for me. It is a small silver lining, but an important one to some of us. If Nokia is still around in two years when my wireless service contract has expired, I will be sure to review the products you have available, and the carriers you will allow me to use.

With Great Disappointment,
MunchausenByProxy

P.S. - Everyone, please copy/distribute as much as possible in the hopes Mr. Elop might one day read the above with his own eyes.

posted on 04 Oct 2012, 21:05

1. dru4you (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Jun 2011)

I'm with Verizon and I was disappointed as well but Why not just send this to Mr. Elop himself? I totally give you credit for making this letter as I agree with you completely, but nothing will be better than giving him your message personally(at least to somebody in Nokia who will send it to him). Good luck to your message and let's hope we get that Lumia on Verizon!

posted on 05 Oct 2012, 16:47

2. MunchausenByProxy (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)

If you have Elop's email address, by all means send it my way. I was unable to find a more direct means of communication, but would love to send it to him directly!

posted on 19 Nov 2012, 04:22

5. vishalvenky (Posts: 44; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)

he will reply to u.. as he did to me.. his mail id is

stephen.elop@nokia.com

he is good in this ;)

posted on 06 Oct 2012, 00:16

3. dru4you (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Jun 2011)

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone on the Nokia website who is connected to Elop.

posted on 19 Oct 2012, 03:06

4. DLUVPARMAR (Posts: 50; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)

PLEASE REVIEW LUMIA 920.........I LOVE IT.....

posted on 26 Dec 2012, 21:25

6. RandyWalters (Posts: 4; Member since: 26 Dec 2012)

AT&T is moving quick with its LTE rollout. Not only their original network is really fast, but now that LTE is turned on all over the New York area, my download speeds are averaging above 25mbs. This includes the large graphic artwork files I send.

posted on 22 Jun 2013, 23:32

7. aruneshv (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Jun 2013)

Lumia 920 is the worst phone from 1. Compromised GPS. 2. Poor hanging Navigation. 3. No search in favorites- POIS. 4. Cannot attach files to email 5. Very Low volume. 6. No Player, Cannot rewind/FF when a video or audio is running. 7. Cam does not have optical zoom, pinch zoom is bad. 8. You can't access the sys folder. 9. Can't open password Protected file. 10. Translate cam has very limited translations possible. 11. NO player. 12. Very less apps. 13. NO SIP. 14. Mobile VOIP not working.

posted on 23 Jun 2013, 17:34

8. MunchausenByProxy (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)

Troll

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories