x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Nokia Lumia 920 Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Confused about buying my Next phone

vishalvenky 15 Nov 2012, 03:45 posted on

i have decided to buy a new phone..

the plot is i am very confused to go with Lumia920/Other android's..

i just love the Lumia920 but many discourage me saying its not up to the mark compared to android.. leave out the apps i was living in an app-less world before(owner of N900)..

PS: i am a social person,love to have long chats with my friends, Muisc lover,used to multi-task a lot, will rarely play games like angry birds,super ko boxing etc....

budget is not a problem i can go up to $800(rs.40,000-(i live in India))

so my question is should i g with Lumia920/other droid's?

reegards,
Vishal

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 08:28 1

1. bellebeauty0304 (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)

Nokia ftw

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 16:35 1

2. MunchausenByProxy (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)

I too will be buying my first smartphone, so perhaps my perspective on our similar situation may be helpful. First off, let me say that I do not subscribe to the Fanboy/Fandroid/Fansoft mentality that 'my' OS is the best thing since sliced bread and all other OS are crap. All smartphone are basically the same, and the small differences between them are going to fit different lifestyles better than others. They are just a tool, and if a single tool fit everyone, there would be no discussion or option.

That said, I think your real question (at least initially) is not about Phone but rather about Operating System; WP8 vs. Android (iOS assumed to already have been eliminated). It is probably not a surprise (given my other posts) that I am pro-WP8, for several reasons. From a usability standpoint, I like that the Start screen can be completely customized to the things I find important. Not only can I see my apps without having to first scroll over to an app-page, the live tiles let me get instant updates without having to drill-down into individual programs. At a glance, I can see email, Facebook, Twitter (if I used it), news, sports, photos... or whatever is important to me immediately from the tiles. Even the lock-screen can be customized to display critical information, and just found out today that you can set things up to make a call directly from that screen, without unlocking, by saying "Call Vishal" for instance.

I also like the interoperability with other Windows 8 devices. Synchronizing data and using the same apps across hardware is a big benefit to my life. I am a big MS-Office user (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), so being able to use native Microsoft programs for those is a plus. Another important factor is OS updates. Microsoft with be publishing over-the-air updates, so you don't have to worry about OEM's failing to publish Android updates (in the hopes you will buy their latest phone).

The other thing that made me shy away from Android is the security factor. Android is being hacked to pieces right now due to its position as the market leader. I do not know for a fact that WP8 will be any better, but it is a known fact that hackers will not put much effort into a third-place OS when they can hit a larger audience with a first-place Android. I suspect WP8 will have better security, but that remains to be seen.

So... what OS is right for you? They all have Music, Chat, Phone, Games, etc. A lot has been made of the app-gap. Like you, I will be starting from scratch so not as much an issue for me. Perhaps I am naive, but I think I will be able to find enough functionality in the 125K WP8 app store. You know, once upon a time they said the same thing about Android, and look at them now with 675K apps (almost equal with iOS). I think it is a hollow argument against WP8 that will disappear quickly. App developers are not going to ignore a new source of revenue they now have in WP8.

MBP

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 16:36 1

3. MunchausenByProxy (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)

(PART 2) Moving on to phones. If you want Android, there is not much reason to look beyond the Samsung Galaxy IIIS. It is a great phone that demonstrates the best of its OS. Likewise, if you are tending to WP8 (as I hope I have nudged you), the Nokia Lumia 920 is definitely the way to go. From a hardware perspective, it has the best screen technology out there, the best camera technology available, and some cool extras like wireless charging and NFC. Pair that with the Nokia-exclusive apps on the software side (City Lens, Nokia Drive, Nokia Music, etc.), and it can't be beat. I will admit that the lack of a microSDXC port is a negative. I think the absence of expansion capabilities could put off some people, but I personally didn't feel giving up the Nokia-exclusive apps was worth the microSDXC in the Samsung ATIV S, for instance (although I do think it will be a great phone as well, being basically the Galaxy IIIS for WP8). As for the other knock again the 920, the weight, I disagree with the detractors. I think the phone feels solid, not heavy. Compared to the iPhone 5, I think the Apple product is too light and feels fragile (a personal opinion, neither of which is worth arguing about).

No phone is perfect. Apple has put out 6 versions of the same phone, and the only innovation after version 1 has been to make it lighter and thinner. I would argue that WP8 is the most Innovative OS available, and the Nokia Lumia 920 the most Innovative handset available (on any OS). For me, that made my decision easy (except for my US Carrier issue which I will not get into here). Yes, I ordered the Yellow 920 within hours of AT&T opening for pre-orders, and got confirmation last night that the package was in the mail. I expect to have it in my hands by Friday or Saturday, finally!

Hope some of what I have said has been helpful to you (sorry I was so long-winded). If it comes down to the 920, or the IIIS, or even the i5, I suspect you will ultimately be happy with whatever decision you make. Just because I decided the 920 was a product worth me entering the smartphone marketplace, does not mean it is the right answer for you. Your decision should be based on how you intend to use your phone. Good luck... and remember... there is no such thing as a perfect phone. But maybe, there is a perfect (or near-perfect) phone that fits best into your lifestyle.

MBP

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 17:55 1

4. vishalvenky (Posts: 40; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)

tks guys.. that made up my mind.. if i buy a phone ignoring others comments i would be happy.. have made up my mind to go with Lumia 920 since i loveit!! waiting for its launch in India..

special tks to MBP

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 20:45

5. MunchausenByProxy (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)

I think (and hope) you will be happy with your choice. Feel free to check back with me in a week or two if you are interested in my impressions of the 920.

MBP

posted on 15 Nov 2012, 22:13

6. vishalvenky (Posts: 40; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)

sure..

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories