Nokia 5300 XpressMusic User Reviews

bob
posted on 06 Nov 2010, 04:55

Good enough for its price

bob has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Good phone for its price.
1.3mp cam is good enough for everyday photos, a bit dull though. Video capture is horrible, with stuttering frame-rates.
Mediaplayer is not very user friendly, and it's not very special either: its the same mediaplayer as on most mid-range Nokia Phones. Louspeakers produce great treble and bass sounds. Media buttons are easy to use and press.
Don't bother with web browsing, coz its slow and has limited connectivity options. If you want web browsing, go get a better phone.
One word to describe the appearance: TOY. It really looks and feels like a toy. And it's VERY bulky, making it obvious in your pocket. Keypad is nothing special. standard, but like the rest of the phone, is very durable. I've dropped it from a third storey window before, and it still works fine. The slider is also good, still goin fine after 3 years.
Battery life is average, it lasts typically 1-2 days depending on usage.
One thing i still love about the phone is the Screen. It has support for up to 256k colors, which is above average for a phone. It certainly isn't anything like a smartphone, but it does better then most standard phones these days.
All in all, the phone is value for money. You can get them now for about 30-60 USD. Which is pretty god price. It carries some good features at such a price at which most probably you'd get a cheap phone with no features other then to text and call someone. An alternative is the 5320 XpressMusic having a 2mp cam with flash and Symbian.

Pros

• Durable
  • Great Speaker
  • Screen (265k colors)
  • Music Buttons
  • Long Battery Life
  • Camera (photos)
  • CHEAP

Cons

• Feels CHEAP
  • Ugly
  • Videa Capture is horrible
  • Bulky
  • Standard S40 mediaplayer/not special

bob alternatives:

egyman
posted on 11 Aug 2010, 20:11

it is a very good phone , it has a good built , smart size , and great value for money.
its camera is not of high resolution but it takes a very good pics, the inter net browsing is not good with this phone
sooo , if you look for a good design phone with the essential function , if you are not the camera man or you dont use the cell phone internet ..... you can buy it

posted on 27 Dec 2009, 16:58

Ok phone

I've had this phone for a while and its definitely very sturdy. It holds a lot of music and the sound quality is amazing but there's no way to organize/manage your music. You have to search through the songs/artist lists one by one alphabetically each time until you find what you are looking for which is a real hassle. I've got about 50 songs on mine and there tends to be a really, really long lag when I want to start the music player or change songs. I've also had some functions like the radio randomly disappear over the years, not really sure how it happened. Overall, it works ok, but not the best phone I've ever had.

Pros

• -indestructible
  • -still have good battery life even after 2 years

Cons

• -very bulky
  • -long lag
  • -no way of organizing music

Monica
posted on 12 Oct 2009, 12:06

(insert title here)

I really did love this phone! I loved the color of it and how it's designed! The sliding part did enthrall me! And the features were awesome! Performance was okay, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I didn't have any trouble texting, which was great! I also enjoyed the music player since it's called the Nokia 5330 XpressMusic. I never dropped this phone but if I did, I'd predict that it won't break for a while and later on, it might start to fall apart.  Anyway, I recommend this phone to people who want the music player application on their phone.

Pros

• sliding mechanism
  • color of the phone

posted on 10 Jul 2009, 13:50

i love this phone! it is very very very durable and can withstand almost anything. ive dropped it probably over 200 times (the back came off and the battery went flying half the time) and it still works. ive dropped it on concrete when it was raining, i left it in wet grass in the pouring rain, and ive actually used it outside in the rain and it STILL WORKS with no water damage at all. the sound ia great too. the only thing is that when i get a text, call, or play music i have to hit it sometimes cuz the sound starts to fade or get crackly from dropping it so much. and since ive been texting on it for almost 2 years (i text ALOT), the 1 button, the 3 button, the up button, and the left button always work and you have to press it very hard but after that they work again

Pros

• very durable
  • great sound

Cons

• buttons wear out over time

noor11
posted on 17 Mar 2009, 08:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Mar 2009)

its gud.....:)

well its a gud mobile to hang out with because we listen to songs in it call our friends.obviously, sms and 1.3 megapixel camera.....what do u want other than this its very gud...:>

Pros

• camera is very gud and reacts well...

Cons

• the design is a bit crapy...

Slayor721
posted on 12 Mar 2009, 16:11 (Posts: 43; Member since: 27 Dec 2008)

This phone is one of the best music phones i have had. The speaker is loud, the Xpresss music keys are useful and cool, the screen is clear, and it is VERY sturdy. I must have dropped this thing at least 50 times on concreat, rugs, wooden floors. I have had for about 2 years now and i still love it. (Well now i have the G1) I still use this phone to listen to and play music. I would recomend this phone to any one who wants a good music player phone whil

Pros

• Xpress music buttons
  • Loud speaker
  • VERY STURDY
  • Nice Music player interface
  • Clear Screen
  • Nice Slider

Cons

• not the skinniest phone ever
  • White parts get dirty
  • Can only hold a 2GB mem. card
  • Xpress music buttons can get hard to press
  • Camera not the best (its good but dont use as a regular camera)
  • Can get laggy at times.
  • only like 10 MB of internal mem.

Rishi
posted on 01 Jan 2009, 05:26

Just like Adnan Sami

I am using this phone for past 6 months. Nokia 5300 is a truly fat phone but has cool music quality. Now, you get my point? All this if you have around 150 songs (with 1GB Memory Card) in your library, if you load more songs, things will get messy. Music keys are a Rock-star feature on this phone. Strong but flimsy built. The red band like design around the phone is made of cheap rubber and has undulating surface. I have to struggle to get it out of my jeans' pocket due to it's bulk.If you are looking for a cheap but good quality music, then 5300 is a huge bargain. But I am looking forward to change my phone as soon as possible. TAKE GOOD CARE OF THIS PHONE IF YOU WANT IT TO LAST FOR FEW YEARS. The white body gets dirty easily, and the USB port gets clogged with dirt as it doesn't have a cover.

Pros

• One of the best screen resolution and beautiful music key which allows you to change songs in the middle of a game (if game volume is muted)!

Cons

• Bulky, a no-no for girls if you are wearing skinny jeans. It bulges out like a huge brick in you pocket.

Shahmir
posted on 29 Nov 2008, 15:19

I lov my cell

I lov bcz:
1. The sound of Speaker is GREAT & even in the ear phones its great to listen musik on this phone
2. gud keypad for texting
3. Musik player keys on left side.....are also handy!
4. sliding of the cell is so kool..........it is very stylish cell.......i recommend u all to buy it!
5. I have this cell in red and white combination......it looks Gorgeous  ;)

1 thing i don't like:
battery timmings are normal not bad but not very gud...!!  if u dont play games on the cell then its battery is long lasting.

adam
posted on 15 Aug 2008, 15:26

brilliant phone

i have had this phone for quite a while now and the performance of the phone is brilliant. the sound quality is amazing.
I have dropped the phone before and nothing happened so it is a strong phone as well.
i would reccomend it to anyone who wants a good cheap music phone!

tinarae671
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 22:59

3.4

disappointing!

Couldn't get it in the color I wanted... but I was excited about it anyway. Unitl the usb port stopped working and it would just reboot all by itself. Got a replacement phone from T-Mo but it was actually worse.. it had software issues and kept giving network errors and had absolutely NO reception. I'm now on the 3rd replacement phone and the audio doesn't work well. I cant hear it ring, cant hear during conversations. My husband has the same phone and his buttons stopped wiorking. I loved the huge 2gb memory card! T-MO is sending me another replacement phone the Motorola RIZR V3 hope its better!

Moon
posted on 01 Jul 2008, 10:51

3.2

Wow....

this is the first phone i got. it is huge. if u put it in ur pocket, it looks like u hav some freakish tumor b/c it is so riddiculously fat. i cant wait to get a new phone, b/c this one sucks. plus, t-mobile has very bad service. i don't hav service in my own house. and if u like texting and u hav t-mobile, i would reccomend the sidekick. they are so much better. :)

rat face
posted on 04 May 2008, 18:59

After the nightmare I had with this phone i decided to get the Nokia 6263. WOW big mistake. That phone was worse than this one. Now have a Motorola W490 and love it

Get some
posted on 04 May 2008, 18:56

I use to like Nokia until they started making junk like this phone. Try loading over a thousand songs on this phone and you have a instant brick with a unusable music player. Oh they will not fix it either. Poor customer support.

Chris
posted on 21 Apr 2008, 04:14

This is truly an awesome phone!

I got mine a few months ago, and i have it blairing music almost non stop since! it does have a few minor faults, such as not having the best battery life in the world, but it lasts a few days, so i just charge it when its near flat and i dont need it. the only other fault that i've found is that i sometimes have trouble taking the back cover off of it, but i have massive fingers so that probably doesnt help. Screen is large and bright, and the buttons are a great size for texting. my screen has a few scratches but thats probably from it being introduced to the ground a few times, and also my car keys spend a bit of time with it.

all around, great phone if you take care of it!

Karelia
posted on 31 Jan 2008, 02:31

5.8

Good music player, other than that....:(

I've been using this phone for about half a year now cuz I got it for free even though I hate sliders. At first I was pretty excited about the music player, which is its best feature. The design of the phone was the first thing I didn't like but let's assume that I am biased because I don't like slide phones. Battery life is so short!!! If I barely use it, battery is gone for 2 days, just in case I decide to actually call somebody, send a few texts or omg if I listen to music for an hour, it's dead for less than a day. Also, sound quality is poor, I'm tired of people asking me to repeat what I said. However, I have to admit that the phone is reliable, I dropped on the ground a few times already, the screen is relatively big, buttons are perfect for texting, comes with stereo speakers (which is really nice for phones with music player feature) and USB cable, which most other phones do not provide.
As a whole, if the design was better I would have been happier, since It's been working perfectly I consider getting a new one a waste of money, therefore I am stuck with it and I cannot wait for it to malfunction so that I have the excuse to get a new one! LOL

Ian
posted on 20 Dec 2007, 11:14

5.2

Eh...I do not approve.

This phone was my favorite for a while...until the sound died. Well not exactly, but it became VERY hard to hear other people and for them to hear me. My brother got the exact same phone and has the same problems. Also, I'm upgrading because this phone LOCKED ME OUT OF IT! By that I mean the slider, which is supposed to slide up, simply stopped sliding up. It wasn't sticky or caught on anything, it just stopped sliding. It stayed like that for days until I bought a new one. It felt like if I tried to force it back up, it would snap in half. Weirdest thing ever, my buddy at T-Mobile hasn't seen or heard of anything like it. And since 90% of what I do is texting, I was screwed. But this should be a short-term phone anyone, not something to rely on for a long period of time.

ankur
posted on 12 Dec 2007, 08:25

best phone

This is one of the best cell i have ever used.Music quality is awesum.i love its design,sliding looks very cool n strong too.Display is awesum,screen is big enough for this price range cells.Great value for money :)

Victoria
posted on 10 Dec 2007, 20:05

4.2

no way!!!

this was the most disapointing phone i've had!!! its huge i never recieved my voicemails, hardly could get picture messages...the vibrate ate away my battery power....and i could barely hear the person i was talking to...the music player is the only good thing...but either than that it looks cheap and feels it too....

aris ariel g. diaz
posted on 10 Apr 2007, 01:13

the best music phone in its class

yeahbah! this, i think is the best music phone at the time that I bought it.
its price is very reasonable for its functionality. the display, audio quality, the cam, it really is the best. when i listen using the loudspeaker, i can feel the rich bass it produces, and of course when using the inbox headset, it sounds a lot clearer thought still it can't beat sony's walkman phones when using headsets. try buy this fone and you will see what i mean.

Am Shegar
posted on 22 Jan 2007, 07:49

Nokia 5300

It is one of the best! I hve it for over an year and it never let me down. The signal is good and the batery is preaty good. I like the design also. I enjoy listening to music sa that is one of the most important reason i've baught it.