Motorola W376g User Reviews

Internet5.5/10
Call quality9.5/10
Battery4.5/10

ronaldleerussell
posted on 05 Dec 2011, 18:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)

W376G fan

ronaldleerussell has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

i have owned 2 w376 phones, no problems except i droped one and gave it brain damage and the outher one got wet. couldnt find another w376g so i went with motorola ex124g BIG MISTAKE which makes the w376g look really good (REPLACED THE EX124G AFTER 2 MONTHS) no problem with battery and didnt use camera or internet, just a good basic phone.

Build quality 9/10 no problem with construction of phone
UI speed 1/10 dont know what UL speed is
Text input 1/10 did not text

Pros

• good basic phone
  • i dont really care about looks and being trendy

Cons

• HATE the browse button

lightfoot44
posted on 10 Nov 2010, 15:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)

not bad, but........

lightfoot44 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

love the tracfone service, but I'm not sure about this phone. It seems to work very well, but the only problem is the battery life. I'm only texting on it for the most part, and the battery needs recharged every 3 days. Is that normal? If I was actually talking on the thing, maybe it would need recharged every day, and that's not exactly what I want in a cellphone. Other than the charging issue, this is actually a very good phone.

Build quality 10/10 all functions work well, and seems durable
Reception 9/10 never drops a call, and no one complains that they can't hear me
Call quality 10/10 it is actually very good
Internet 10/10 take the browser button off...if you want internet use a computer.
Multimedia 9/10 has games and other apps if you're into that
Everyday usage 9/10 works extremely well, but I would imagine that talking would sap the power in this real fast, if texting requires a recharge in 2-3 days
Text input 9/10 well laid out, but the buttons seem small for my fingers
Display 9/10 well lit backlight, and good screen resolution
Battery 1/10 runs out of juice way to fast

Pros

• seems durable, easy to use, easy to read, texting is good, has games and other apps if you're into that. Sound quality is excellent, and it functions extremely well for a cheaper phone

Cons

• only one......the battery runs out of juice way too fast. One could spend most of their time charging and recharging.

crayondeux
posted on 10 Sep 2010, 02:47

Tracfone W376g

The W376 had low battery problems from the beginning, eventually Tracfone sent me a replacement battery, and after a couple of weeks I am having the same low battery problems, even after several hours charging the battery, it still beeps at me that it has a low bazttery and requires a charge. Battery life is extremely short, a couple of brief phone calls and the battery is low, or within 4 to 5 days, whichever comes first. Charging the battery takes about 6 hours, and nobody can call you while you are charging the battery, or if the battery is very low. Also the time and date are always wrong on the phone, no matter how many times you set it, you also can't set the calendar.

Pros

• ?

Cons

• Battery often says 'low battery' even after charging, and a charge takes a minimum of 6 hours. Tracfone sent me a replacement battery, but I am having the same problems. Also time and date are always wrong, and even with customer support help over the phone, they cannot seem to set the date properly on my phone. Most of the time the battery is either low, dead, or being charged.

Atlantaguy
posted on 03 Sep 2010, 22:46

Good if you know what you're getting

I think there are a lot of high expectations for this phone, but people have to remember that you're getting it for $14.95-$20.00 (depending on retailer).The reality:  The phone looks like something from the early 1990s, has sluggish keys, poor texting ability, and the camera isn't even worth using, as it cranks out VGA images that look more like a watercolor painting than a photograph.  HOWEVER, the phone has exceptionally good reception pickup ability, decent battery life, and better than average call quality, and that is the reason some people still use it.I'll admit if I had to use this as my main phone I'd go insane, but I keep this in my car as an emergency backup phone for times when I might have left my main phone at home by accident, or, for times when my main phone (a Virgin Mobile Blackberry) might not be able to pick up a signal.  The 376G has never been in an area where I could not get at least one bar.  Now, I like my Virgin Mobile Blackberry and they have EXCELLENT plans at VM, but once you leave the city metro area, service can be spotty.  Likewise with many other carriers except Verizon or AT&T.  So having this little number in your glove box is a good idea (it uses AT&T in my area) for emergency use.If I had to use this as my main phone I'd give it a rating of 4.5 at BEST.  But for emergency use, due to the reception and call quality, I'll rank it a 7 for call/reception performance.

Pros

• Excellent reception pickup - I get several bars even in interior rooms and warehouses, etc. Good call/voice quality. Decent-to-good battery life. Bright (though low res) screen.

Cons

• Design is from the 1990s. Very sluggish keypad lags when entering numbers/texts. Horrible camera.

sarsquarch
posted on 13 Apr 2010, 23:31

Review for Tracfone Motorola W376g

The Motorola W376g currently sells for $19.99 at most stores and online.

Physical Design

The phone is a lightweight flip phone, that looks like the other Motorola flip phones at first glance. The only color available is this metallic gray. There is a reflective silver strip down the phone that serves as the exterior indicator lights. A green/ yellow missed/ incoming call display is the top light, a blue text message alert light is in the middle, and a yellow battery indicator light is on the bottom that flashes when the battery is low and is continuously on when charging. There is a camera, which was sort of a big deal when Tracfone first came out with this model. The only other exterior features are the volume buttons on the left, the USB/ charger port, and the headphone jack.

On the back, is the battery cover, and the speaker, which is pretty loud in most cases.

Inside, the number keys are flush, with little ridge to separate them, which is nice for knowing where your fingers are without looking down. The keys light up blue when the phone is flipped open. The screen is medium sized, and has decent resolution. There are two soft keys, shortcut buttons for text messages and web browser, a directional pad with the center circle being an "enter button". And a call and a end call/cancel/power button. The keys were easy to press and decently laid out, with the exception of the browser button, which is easy to hit and accidentally connect to the web (1.00 airtime unit...

Pros

• Neat looking notification lights
  • Excellent Call Quality
  • Lightweight
  • Radio
  • International Text Messaging
  • Presence of a Camera

Cons

• Slow sending/receiving texts
  • Browser button being accidentally pressed
  • Limited Bluetooth
  • No external time display
  • Have to open phone to change volume

S
posted on 26 Mar 2010, 16:35

VERY DISPLEASED

I consider this phone bare-bones acceptable for those who do not use their cell phone frequently. For frequent use, there are other phones that are much better in quality and features that are also pre-paid phones. I am very displeased with this phone and personally would not reccommend it, although I do like Motorola products. BTW- this phone was purchased new at Walmart but the speed dial function was defective.

Pros

• Bright, crisp colors for keypad and screen, good assortment of ring tones, good voice quality and speaker when phone is not in speaker mode, alarm, user-friendly calculator, you can see if you have a voicemail or missed call by the external screen.

Cons

• No external called ID, lacks backlight adjustment feature, slow keypad response for dialing phone numbers, keypad is hard to push, made of vinyl, and very cheap. Lousy speaker phone quality, no auto redial feature, cannot transfer photos to PC except through email, older look to the phone, edges of phone are rough.

Atlantaguy
posted on 14 Feb 2010, 23:14

Remember what you're getting for the price.

I think folks (I'm guessing mostly very young people) are forgetting what they should expect for the price paid for this phone.  The W376G (Tracfone) is an older model and the average retail price is $19.95.   That's twenty dollars for a cell phone, with (limited) bluetooth and an admittedly poor camera, but still, twenty bucks for a working cell phone.  I mean come on - what should you expect for that price?  If you're a light cell user who doesn't live with their phones up to their ears (yes, these people still do exist), then the Tracfone system works best, as you can get as few as 60 minutes that are good for 90 days, while other prepaid plans (Net10, etc) force you to buy larger minute sets with only 30 day expire dates.  The W376G piggybacks on the AT&T network in most areas, and reception is good indoors and out at least where I live.  Camera quality (VGA 640x480) is very poor even by email standards, and the keys on the phone lag a bit when texting, so you hear the beep a second behind when you actually press the key.  Ear speaker sound quality is overall good, and the folks on the other end say I sound clear enough, with very little distortion.  I have not had any dropped calls as of yet.  Battery life is good if you don't use the web/camera features a lot - if you do, these features will drain the battery much quicker.  The phone uses a standard mini-USB plug which is convenient....

Pros

• Good reception.
  • Very decent ear speaker quality.
  • Good battery life in call mode.
  • Tracfone doesn't require lots of minutes per month.
  • Non-proprietary mini-USB charging port.

Cons

• Very poor photo quality.
  • Keys lag behind (slow) when texting.
  • Limited and slow browser (eats up minutes).

Bianca
posted on 21 Jan 2010, 18:38

1.3

Hate It

I had this phone for what 4 months now.And i have had it .The camera is too slow and doesnt come out clearLoading your ringtones to listen to them take too longMaking messages and sending them doesnt get to the person but gets them after a whileIts a horrible phone

john doe
posted on 20 Dec 2009, 18:24

This phone sucks. Bluetooth only works with headsets. I mean by this you can't share music or pictures with your friends via Bluetooth. The camera can't shoot video or take a picture of a moving target. the internet uses a lot of minutes, and fast. I do not suggest you buy this phone if u have a single brain cell in your body. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!

Pros

• There are no pros.

Cons

• battery life, camera is slow,internet uses too many minutes,bluetooth only works with headset,and it's ugly

Tracy1222
posted on 18 Nov 2009, 23:52

Nice phone:)

Here's a way to put your mp3 ring tones on Motorola W376g, go to http://www.myxer.com/3Guppies/ and follow the directions. I just added a mp3 ring tone to my phone this way and it works great. You will have to play around and see how big of a ring tone you can use, the one I used isn't very big. Hope this helps:)

Sandy
posted on 28 Sep 2009, 10:15

motorola w376g

I have had this phone for about a year now I am very happy with it except I wish that there was a way to download the pictures from it to my computer. As far as the battery, everyone is complaining about it only lasting 3 days, well you can solve that by doing what I do and plug it in overnight.  I do that everynight when I go to bed and my battery never goes dead, even if I forget to plug it in for a day or two. I know people who have expensive phones from verizon and there batteries don,t last as long as mine. We recently went to camp. We left on Thursday and came back on Sunday. We were back in the woods and my friends that have verizon phones could not get a signal, but if I walked around in the yard I could find a spot to get a signal and they would not get one. Also there phones were on rome the whole time and there batteries would only last about 3 or 4 hours before they would have to recharge them. I plugged mine in the second night while I was sleeping and my battery never went dead the whole weekend. I do agree about the internet browser button though, I wish I could find a way to block that button because I bump it alot and it starts to browse.

Pros

• I really like the phone.

Cons

• Internet browser button. and no way to download the pictures off of it.

mike001
posted on 05 Sep 2009, 10:54

Review

Great phone . It work overseas with TRI BAND gsm 1800 mhz . has mp3 ringtone on it

CrazyBoutAdamLambert
posted on 01 Sep 2009, 03:41

Motorola W376g Cell phone

I agree with one of the reviews regarding the battery life. I have to charge it about every 3 days as well.  Very disapointed with that feature.  The LG phone from Net 10 had a much better battery life but did not have a camera.

Also, when texting, the delay from when you type a letter to when you see it on the keyboard is SO SLOW, I have to turn off the volume otherwise it distracts me.  The camera shutter time is very slow and does not take good pictures of anything moving, your subject has to be completely still for the picture to be in focus.

I wonder if Motorola ever reads our reviews.

Pros

• bright display, easy to read keypad

Cons

• Battery, keypad functionality, camera shutter speed

Harry
posted on 02 Aug 2009, 10:31

Satisfied

I had the phone for a few months and I'm fully satisfied with it. It does everything I need it to do. Screen is easy to read, menus are intuitive, the ring is quite loud on full volume and it is quite customizable. Everybody seems to be complaining about the browser button... this button is easily changed to any other function you'd like in less than a minute! I do agree that the battery life is shorter than it says in the manual, mine lasts bout 4 days. But this isn't a problem for me and I didn't realize it was supposed to last longer until now. It would be nice to have an easier way to get pictures off the phone, but hey, I bought it as a phone and not a camera. Having the camera at all is a nice little extra to me.

brianna
posted on 01 Jun 2009, 16:37

could be better

i got this phone for my 11th birthday it's nice but the battery only holds for 3 days then i have to charge it again (so don't send it back for a new one get a new model) and its falling apart the mirror is scratched, a rubber peice fell out, the tracfone sign fell off, and it freezes constanly so i have to rip out the battery and start all over. plus it's really slow and i always hit the browser button  its a good phone for someone who would be willing to charge it and doesn't use a phone too often.

Pros

• good design
  • speaker phone

Cons

• falls apart
  • will NOT hold charege

Patricia Ann Ingram
posted on 25 May 2009, 17:30

Loving It!

Now that I have found and am able to print the manual for my phone I'm very pleased with it. When I first bought it and transferred everything from my previous TracFone I had no idea how to use all the wonderful features, now that I have the information I needed I'm sure I will be even happier. I do wish there was some way to move the date from the top left to either the bottom left or bottom right with the time. Maybe after I read the manual I'll figure out how to do it. I recommend this phone for people like me who don't like to do a lot of talking on the phone, nor a lot of text-messaging.

Rather not say
posted on 21 May 2009, 13:39

The verdict is still out

I am waiting for TracFone to send me a replacement battery so I haven't really had a chance to experiment much with mine.  I DO agree about the browser button---I would like the capability to disable it.  My phone won't hold a charge.  With no calls and no texting, only on standby, the phone charge (and I charged it the full 5 hours when new as recommended) runs out of charge in 36 hours on standby.  I did, however, contact TracFone and they are sending a new battery.  If that don't work, I will have to return it.  It is a sharp looking phone but I bought it to use, not to just look pretty.  I think it will be fine----well, I hope. So, if you are having problems, make sure you do contact the company.  I too had a Nokia that seems to hold a charge for a loooong time.

pat
posted on 28 Apr 2009, 19:04

Motorola W376g won't hold a charge

This phone seemed really neat. But will not hold a charge. The 1st one of these would not hold a charge, I took it back to Walmart and exchanged it for another W376g. Got all set up and minutes transferred etc. After all the charging etc, left the phone powered on all day, did not make any calls or use any feature. Powered off that night, next morning phone won't come on unless I charge it again and turn it on, while the charger is in the phone.  As soon as I take the charger off and power the phone on and off, same thing. Won't hold a charge for anything and will not power on. I have been screwing with this phone for 2 days now.
I also don't like the fact that the browser cannot be disabled.

Marvin Nelson
posted on 22 Apr 2009, 16:06

user

good phone....went on a cruise and phone work in Mexico and Costa Rico....would not access in Panama.

Leon Hicks
posted on 07 Apr 2009, 14:59

Fix te problem with the Browser button

It does not solve the problem entirly but put the phone on list and not Icons setting. Saves me a lot of hitting the browser problems. Still have to watch the button but I was hitting it as I cruised the ICONS more than the button.

Pros

• Good Phone for the cost.Overall satisfied

Cons

• I have carried tracfones for over five years. The customer service has improved believe it or not. The internet options are a blessing and being able to add time directly from the phone is a great help also. Any thing to stay away from CSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!

Chuck Wolcott
posted on 24 Jan 2009, 13:51

Retired Tec/Pro

Really love the 376 but would like to know if anyone has developed an overide for the PC-USB linkup. Also agree that the browser button should have a disable feature.

Pros

• Very good hardware design

Cons

• Access to the PC needs to be unblocked. It is a very expensive route to get pictures unloaded. We, the older retired people like the pay for service cost advantage for voice but can't afford internet access using this phone.

Daryl Sande
posted on 17 Dec 2008, 19:06

Nice, but....

I just got my Motorola W376g a couple of days ago.  It took two days to get it activated and to get minutes transferred from the Motorola V170 I had used for a couple of years.  The first day, I talked to a guy in Guyana with a very distinct accent.  He got the phone turned on and my minutes deleted from the old phone.  He said my old cell phone number and the minutes should be transferred to my new phone within five hours.  The next day, I called TracFone again and this time got Eileen in Columbia.  After 40 minutes of Spanglish that pretty much fried my brain, the minutes were transferred and the phone works.  The phone is pretty much as advertised, but the instructional manual enclosed in the packaging was very skimpy.  I came to this site to read the Motorola manual in order to figure out how to use the speakerphone functiion.  There are no spkr on/off buttons anywhere on my phone.  Will ask on the Forum site if the feature is limited to a more expensive model.  Overall, after a day's use of the phone, I'd say the clarity is great, love the signal on/drop tone feature as I'm on the periphery of a cell tower with varying signal strength, and the ring tones are legion.

scuba558
posted on 08 Dec 2008, 22:00

Great phone for the money

I recently lost my older Motorola V-170 Tracfone and replaced it with this phone.  What a great phone for the money!!!  I paid $29.95, including double minutes for the life of the phone.  The reception is excellent,  The address book is easy to add to and I like the ability to add one name, then home phone #, cell phone #, work # and e-mail address, without having to re-enter the name each time.  I love all the extras included in the phone.  The picture quality of the camera is pretty lousy, but I didn't buy it to shoot pictures.  I accidently hit the "search internet" buton a couple of times, but now am very conscious about avoiding that button.
I've heard so many horror stories about Tracfone's customer service, but had no problem transfering the phone number from the lost phone to the new phone.  They even gave me partial credit for the remaining minutes that were lost on the old phone, though I didn't think they would be able to.
Though the phone is a tri-band phone, don't plan on using it overseas.  Due to Tracfone's unique software burned into the phone memory, it won't read a sim card from another company.  If you successfully unlock the phone, it will only work until your Tracfone minutes run out, then you're stuck.  Also, you can't plug the phone into a USB port on the computer to upload or download photos, etc...  This is disabled.
Overall,  Love the phone, love the service!!!

jrfoleyjr
posted on 17 Nov 2008, 16:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Nov 2008)

My W376g - nice phone with some minor complaints

I purchased my W376g at the local discount store along with some extra minutes. I took it home and activation was quick and easy using my computer. It is a nice looking clamshell type phone that is rugged enough to carry in my pocket, though I purchased a belt holster for it.

Over all this is a good phone with some nice features.

Pros

• Bright easy to read screen. Loud and clear audio, Many ringtones available (but only from TRACFONE). Downloading a ringtone was easy.
  • I do like having a camera phone to be able to capture pictures on the spot.

Cons

• Battery life is nowhere near what is advertised. I get no more than 2-3 days before needing to charge again and this is not all talk time, and no texting or email. I do not use bluetootk or the fm radio functions. I am looking for a larger replcement battery (with a larger replacement cover). A larger battery would help make up for the sin of short battery life.
  • My only other complaint concerns the too-easily-hit browser button. There should be a way to lock it out.

Tony Ogiamien
posted on 22 Sep 2008, 00:17

Great Phone.

I was opportuned to use one owned by a friend. It is a very good phone. Texting is awesome and it is very clear.
Now, where can I purchase the European/Asian version