Motorola TRIUMPH User Reviews

Internet8.2/10
Call quality8.3/10
Battery6.8/10

lsismor
posted on 16 Apr 2014, 18:53 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)

Hindsight Review

lsismor has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had this phone for over three years and have to say that it was pretty high maintenance. It no longer lets me turn it on or off, so it's off the the recycling bin as not even Virgin will give me a credit on it for my next purchase. Bluetooth never worked. After about 18 months of ownership I had to break into it as the internal memory got loaded with a file that kept the phone from receiving text messages. It was a nightmare! I wouldn't buy it again if I could do it all over again.

Build quality 3/10 I had to resort to black electrical tape to keep the back cover on. Recharge plug was touchy.
Reception 7/10 At times I could barely hear the other caller
Call quality 7/10 Reception was decent.
Internet 3/10 Ha, ha Internet was so slow it was useless.
Multimedia 9/10 Although the sound quality wasn't that great, of all its uses, I would have to say it was best at video recording.
Camera 5/10 Quality was pretty poor.
UI speed 2/10 SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW
Everyday usage 5/10 It was okay
Text input 4/10 Spell check would have been nice.
Display 2/10 Display was very tempermental in the sun and very hard to see. It would constantly turn on and off when I had the phone to my ear and would often hang up on calls if I got it too close to my face.
Battery 2/10 I ended up getting another battery as one would not last a day. Also, it would get EXTREMELY hot and turn off the phone if I tried to use a navigation app while driving.

Pros

• Visually nice
  • Compact
  • Nice material

Cons

• Problem with file filling memory
  • Battery cover was useless
  • Screen was hard to see in the sun
  • Accessing the internet was to slow to bother
  • Very poor battery life

crhm85
posted on 10 Feb 2014, 11:46 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)

Excellent value once rooted

crhm85 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had this phone nearly 2 years now. Rooted and used 2.3 Starship Triumph (excellent build--very stable) for over a year. Just flashed ICS rom this weekend and love it. Phone is a little slower, but overall, everything functions except for the video camera and HDMI port. Battery life is so so, but build quality feels very good for a prepaid. Would highly recommend this phone as a budget ICS root project!

M.Uchiha
posted on 25 May 2013, 14:31 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 May 2013)

Good phone but only if it is rooted.

M.Uchiha has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have this phone for almost 14 months. I say is really good for my first android phone. The first 4 months, I had no problems with it. Until it started loosing memory, lagging, and many more problems. So I decide to root it and install the 2.3 rom. I fix many issues but cause and HDMI so it won't work. 6 Months Later I installed 2.2 Sharp Rom and I will say that this is a completely recommended rom for any Motorola triumph user. It fixes more issues and plus is a lot faster and smoother for multitasking. The Camera isn't that great but is still good enough for me to make YouTube videos. I also like how it has Gorilla Glass so it doesn't have any scratches. I recommend this phone to anyone but I also recommend rooting it f you have any problems with it.

Build quality 10/10 Dropped it a few times and the screen hasn't even gotten scratch.
Reception 10/10 Where I live the Reception is great!
Internet 10/10 Is good for a low range phone.
Multimedia 10/10 Pretty Basic and Nice
Camera 9/10 Pictures aren't that sharp. Videos can take about 20-25 FPS the most. But is pretty decent
UI speed 10/10 Really Fast and smooth
Everyday usage 8/10 Is ok but I worry about the battery everyday.
Text input 10/10 Is really easy the text with the screen size.
Display 9/10 Great size but colors don't look that great plus it also has a blue tint.
Battery 9/10 It last almost half a day which is good enough for me.

Pros

• Is great with Sharp or Froyo Cream Engine

hkc94501
posted on 24 Nov 2012, 15:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)

Buy something else

hkc94501 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

My last phone was a Motorola Droid so I thought Triumph would be similar, wrong. The hardware may be OK but the software integration on Triumph sucks. #1 complaint is Bluetooth won't stay connected so the thing is useless for driving hands free. VM customer service has been totally unresponsive on this problem Second the android keyboard is poorly configured. It uses your contacts list for a dictionary. That might be OK for looking up contacts but it is useless for entering text messages or email. Battery life is poor, the battery cover likes to fall off. Reception is mediocre. The camera always blurrs images.

Build quality 5/10 battery cover falls off, Bluetooth can't stay connected and must be reset to reconnect, battery life is poor and software configuration poorly done.
Reception 5/10 Reception is OK but the phone has lost calls and dropped messages. Reliability is mediocre.
Internet 8/10 Speed is OK
Multimedia 3/10 Video has shifted to low res and there is no way to set it back.
Camera 3/10 images tend to be blurry. shutter is slow.
Everyday usage 5/10 It's OK for phone calls.
Text input 3/10 Android keyboard uses contacts for a dictionary, this is useless for text messages and email. Plan on replacing the soft keyboard with a 3rd party product. Name lookup for SMS messages begins with email addresses not phone numbers so it's hard to get the right number or the phone will send your SMS messages via email.
Display 8/10 The display is sharp and bright. no complaints.
Battery 3/10 Battery life is poor. Count on finding the thing dead every morning if you don't plug it in at night.

Pros

• nice screen, acceptable speed

Cons

• Bluetooth is useless for driving
  • software configuration is full of dumb mistakes

Mack3030
posted on 26 Apr 2012, 22:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)

I like my little black tablet phone

Mack3030 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

To anyone on the ropes considering this phone I got to tell ya you wont be disappointed. I was reading some posts here and some people I think are reviewing the wrong phone or something. The guy below me says the internal storage is only 3 bits and I've got to tell ya son either you got the wrong phone or your phone is plum broke. These phones have 2 GB internal storage (1GB is used up by default android 2.2.2 and VM bloatware) but on a factory phone that leaves 1 GB open. I personally upgraded my phone to 2.3.7 rom and it is just incredible. Some issues I was having (GPS and data coverage) is fixed with the 2.3.7 upgrade GPS test connects with 10 sats and around town I connect at 600-700 kbps speed test and a few times by our local mall have hit 2.0 mbps which is just really great- at my ranch I have wifi so cant really say what I connect there. By the way I'm not all that great with technology so if I can upgrade the rom anyone can, and with upgrade I also have 755 MB of internal storage left and have about 50 apps all stored on my internal hard drive (2.3.7 without the bloatware frees up a lot of storage room). The battery lasts twice as long as my brothers 4G phone- we went campin and huntin a couple weeks ago and his phone would be dead before we got back to camp and mine was still at half battery (2.3.7 also helps save battery though so...) I dont know if some people got phones that were lemons or what but me and the wife both have one and they are both top notch....

Build quality 10/10 It can take a licken and still works great. Ive dropped the phone, had it slammed into a wall by my horse, and a bunch of other dumb stuff and it still looks and runs like new
Reception 10/10 Never lost a call and no roaming charges
Call quality 10/10 Can even hear folks after firein my .44 SuperBlackhawk with Buffalo Bore ammo!!
Internet 10/10 When I use it I always connect and get where I'm going quick enough. Best on wifi but works fine on 3G 600 kbps to 2.0 mbps in my neck of the woods
Multimedia 10/10 dont really watch movies on my phone but plays country like a nice little radio
Camera 10/10 Got some great pics of my ranch, horses, family and of course huntin trophies. Quality is as good as any camera I use to tote.
UI speed 10/10 Phone is really fast and can handle anything Ive asked of it maybe not the equal of my brothers fancy frilly phone but gets the job done for me
Display 10/10 bright, large and really nice- call it my tablet phone because its the biggest phone Ive had and can do everything a tablet can and maybe a little more
Battery 10/10 Lasts twice as long as my brothers phone which I love pointing out- all that 4G power but oooh your battery is dead well lucky I have a real phone....priceless

Pros

Cons

• cant think of anything after puttin 2.3.7 on it

Waffleny
posted on 25 Apr 2012, 19:44 (Posts: 11; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)

If you're debating getting it, DON'T (read this please)

Waffleny has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had gotten this handset for Christ,as '11. Now I myself know a whole lot about smartphones and have researched them for some time. Now, I feel like a complete idiot for choosing this handset. Let me just say, this phone is a cancer. The only things I can say positive about it is that it has a very nice body design, and the screen is quite nice. Now what can I say about what I don't enjoy about the phone? Dear Lord I'd be sitting here for an eternity... Battery life lasts you 6 hours of texting and data on, MAYBE, and with all features turned off, ALL FEATURES, you can try for 10 hours. The internal storage is about enough for a couple of apps, if you're lucky. I literally have to clear everything out of my phone. It's about 99% stock phone at this point, yet I have 20 megabytes left. Rejected texts every day because i have no space. And ah let's see, the camera. It's actually quite nice, that is, if you can get the shutter to capture within 5 seconds. If everything isn't perfectly still expect the quality to look as if somebody threw paint cans at a wall, and started smearing it everywhere with their rear ends. But if the timing, positioning, and lighting is PERFECT, you can get some okay pictures. The processor speed isn't bad at all, I can't say much about it. I haven't experienced any problems with it freezing or lagging. But this brings me to something, the default skin on it is awful, just awful. The default widgets and preinstalled junkware is TERRIBLE. Don't expect anything...

Build quality 6/10 Extremely slick design and nice firm shape is a great feature on this. The battery case does fall off easy though. I don't know if this fits in this category, but the internal storage is about 3 bits, enough for maybe a couple of apps. I get rejected texts because of the low space, every day. Lovely.
Reception 6/10 The phone has terrible reception, probably because of Virgin Mobile. The data speeds NEVER go past .5 mbps (about one twentieth of a wifi speed)
Internet 4/10 The default browser works fairly well, and all other internet features are sub par to say the least
Multimedia 4/10 The picture messaging is... Meh. Music, pictures, and videos play just fine. Nothing special, but very dull and sometimes the gallery doesn't load and the task must be manually killed.
Camera 5/10 The camera is actually fairly good quality, I was impressed at how clear it captured in natural light. The flash is very bright. but when in low light and using flash, don't expect more than a blur. The shutter time is terrible, it has taken he over 3 seconds to capture photos before. But it's a prepaid, what do you expect
UI speed 6/10 The phone is fast enough, not much to say. Fast enough for my needs.
Everyday usage 4/10 Sometimes I find it such a hassle to use I feel like throwing a tantrum and stomping it until it apologizes for being terrible. Problems occur at least 3 times a week, if not daily
Text input 6/10 The default keyboard is POOP. I myself downloaded an ICS mimic keyboard, and it is stupendous
Display 7/10 A very bright and large display, no complaints here. Brightness needs to be way up in daylight, but that's standard for all phones
Battery 1/10 Literally, a ONE rating. If you make the FATAL mistake of expecting to use it for more than texting or calling, you can expect a 10% battery before Noon. Literally one of the worst batteries I have ever seen in any cellular phone.

Pros

• Big screen
  • Fast enough processor
  • Very attractive design

• BATTERY LIFE
  • Data speeds
  • Again, everything.

smitherson
posted on 24 Apr 2012, 10:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)

Very good no contract phone

smitherson has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have to say that I had my doubts about both noncontract phones and their service providers. I am glad that those doubts were laid to rest with this great little phone. Its not cutting edge or leading technology, but it gets the job done and will run any android app I have tried thus far. Part of me misses my dual processor 3D 4G phone, but the larger part is happy to be out of the $200+ a month plan that I always seemed to get billed as I would always have some roaming charge or go over my plan limits or some stupid thing. And this phone still looks and feels smart. Overall I am very happy with everything except when you actually have to call VirginMobile you are transferred to India I think.

After reading reviews below I installed gingerbread on my phone and it is even better now. Thanks for the advice- when all things root was googled everything I needed was right there with idoit proof instructions.

Internet 10/10 Connects good for a 3G phone, of course a lot slower than my 4G use to be, but for 3G I cant complain
Camera 10/10 Again not as good as my 8mp camera was but very nice for a 5mp- gets the job done just fine
UI speed 10/10 Its no dual processor, but is very snappy and overclocked to 1.2GHZ I cant see much performance differece even compared to my 4G
Display 10/10 Not the newest or best but bright and very appealing- especially after upgrade to gingerbread
Battery 10/10 Charge it at night, use it all day and still has life left when I go to bed. Cant expect much more than that out of any smartphone.

Pros

• Noncontract very affordable

Cons

• not 4G, but at this price who cares

flowersforall
posted on 19 Apr 2012, 23:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)

Love this handy phone

flowersforall has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I own a small flower shop and I bet half of my business is saved on my handy little phone. I use it more as a tablet computer most days but it excels at making phone calls too. When you are dependant on yourself and husband to do the arranging, books, and deliveries a smart phone really comes in handy and this one fits the bill and the budget. Its wonderful turn by turn directions make it impossible to get lost and you dont even have to buy a gps system for you car.

AlexSmith
posted on 19 Apr 2012, 13:40 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)

Much happier than I was with Straight Talk

AlexSmith has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just got this phone a couple weeks ago after switching from the LG Optimus Black and Straight Talk. These 2 phones are supposed to be very similar, however the Triumph is proving to be a much better phone. I'm not sure if it is the difference in providers or the phone itself but I have not had a dropped call, I have an internet 3G signal that is surprisingly strong (at 2 bars I am getting faster connection speeds than with full bars on the Optimus Black), and overall the phone just seems to be faster and better. The only reason I went to the Optimus Black over this phone to begin with is because of wrong specs (on this website too) the Optimus Black is listed as having a 2mp front camera when it is only a vga front camera, and the Triumph was listed at under 250k colors when in fact its display is equal to the Optimus Black at over 16 million colors. The camcorder on this phone is also much better than the camcorder on the Optimus Black. One last thing- I ordered this phone on the internet for 199.99- a hundred less than what I shelled out for the Optimus Black. Must happier with this great phone.

Pros

• fast processor
  • 5 MP stills and 720p video recording
  • better service for less cost
  • phone itself was $100 less that Walmart's Optimus Black

JacobA
posted on 19 Apr 2012, 09:26 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)

most powerful phone available with the best deal

JacobA has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Aint much for words..... $25 or $35 a month (depending on when you joined Virgin Mobile) you wont find a better deal than that. If you use Skype voice calling you get unlimited everything. The phone aint 4G but its tops for 3G- wont find any better. I rated my phone vs my wifes straight talk optimus black phone as the two are bout equal- cept my wife pays $45 a month and doesnt get as good of coverage here.

Pros

• battery lasts much longer than optimus black
  • calls are better on my phone than my wifes
  • great camera I always have on me- just incase I bag that trophy trout or buck
  • $25 and I get unlimited service

linda22
posted on 18 Apr 2012, 19:37 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)

Lovin It:)

linda22 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Have had the phone for about 2 months now and I just adore it. I think it is already an amazing phone and $25 a month is perfect for college. My dorm has wifi and with this phone I dont need to buy a computer. I can email, surf the internet, and even do reports on word inbetween going to the computer lab with an app from the market:). Using voice input I dont even have to enter the text with the virtual keyboard I can just talk and like a personal secretary it writes it all down for me. I just love this phone. Im going to have to try that gingerbread rom posted below. If it makes this phone even better that woud really be amazing;)

Pros

• $25 a month cell service

keithpa
posted on 18 Apr 2012, 17:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)

Great Device

keithpa has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I gave into peer pressure and after several texts decided this great phone is worth writing a review about it. Im running 2.3.7 and the phone is just great. Ive never had a dropped call and the internet seems to work well in my area. I have wifi at home and use the phone as a laptop because between the wife and kids who can ever use the computer?

Dont try to compare this phone against a 4G- its like taking a suv and wondering why it cant beat Mustang in a drag race it wasnt built for it. This phone was built for a working family man- the plan has to be reasonable so we can still feed our family therefore there is a trade off to 3G at $25 a month vs the impressive 4G phones at over $150 a month. But compared to other 3G phones on prepaid carriers this phone is top notch. There are other phones just as good but none better (prepaid).

With that said I see that phonearena made a mistake in the hardware specs for this phone- the display has over 16 million colors not 262 144- have no idea where they got that number from.

All in all best prepaid phone around.

gregm
posted on 18 Apr 2012, 16:37 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)

Phone is what you make of it

gregm has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

My buddy told me I should post my thoughts on this great phone. First and foremost I cant remember what the phone was like before I upgraded the operating system. I too used Whyzor CM7 reloaded 2.3.7 rom. All you have to do is google it, download it, and install it to your phone- there are even youtube videos out there to walk you through it step by step (kyles teck desk is a good one) takes about 5 min and you will have an awesome phone running Gingerbread with special tools to save battery life, make display even more amazing, and even overclock the processor (no more than 1.2 GHZ or you might damage device over time). Google Triumph all things root too- great site to get info.

This is a great phone, but dont get fooled like some do by the "signal quality". I had an Optimus V before this phone and I use to have dropped calls once in a while with full bars of reception. In the same areas I only get 2 bars with my Triumph but have never had a dropped call. Using speed test my Optimus V (still have phone and test results) would get about 550 kbps on the corner of my block with full bars- standing in the same location with my Triumph I have 1-2 bars but average 750 kbps. Dont know why but with fewer bars I have better reception. My GPS also works great- dont know if its because I have 2.3.7 or if its because I usually test my GPS first but I have 7-12 sats on average and my google navigation works fast without any problems (love Car Home with 2.3.7).

Great phone already...

Pros

• Motorola knows how to make a phone
  • 1GHZ processor easily and safely overclocked to 1.2GHZ
  • Great quality camera for a 5MP
  • 720p video recording that is really good
  • great call quality, 3G signal, and GPS
  • $25 a month- you kidding me come on!

Cons

• Battery is good vs other 3G phones but wish it would last longer
  • no physical keyboard

JulieK
posted on 18 Apr 2012, 15:54 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)

Best phone I've had

JulieK has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I switched from Verizon paid plan to Verizon prepaid to Virgin Mobile prepaid and am sooo happy with VM and the Triumph. The phone is well built, very fast, has an amazing camera and camcorder and is just wonderful. Dont know how I delt with my old phone before getting this one. Am surprised that some other people have had problems but it may just be the reception in their area. Also my guy did a few things to my Triumph the screens are a bit different but the phone is running much better now too. The gps use to have a little trouble but connects to an average of 10 sat now and gives fast reliable directions and the internet browser is much quicker. Not sure what he did but it only took him a couple of minutes so it cant be that hard to get all the potential the phone has out. ps I gave the battery a 10/10 as it lasts much better than my coworkers EVO 4G by the end of the day she asks me to borrow my phone to text her husband because her phone is dead and I still have half battery and we use phones just as much durring the day.

Pros

• Great Phone:)

Cons

• Cant make me a latte... yet there isnt an app for that:(

cowboy44mag
posted on 18 Apr 2012, 15:35 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)

Awesome Phone

cowboy44mag has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

First of all I'm not doing this review trying to compare this phone to a 4G phone but comparing this pone vs other 3G phones. The best feature of this phone is it can run on Virgin Mobile prepaid network- 300 min unlimited text and data $25 a month!! When compared against other 3G phones, both prepaid and plan phones, the Triumph doesn't disapoint.
It is a well built phone (as one would expect from Motorola), has great reception in my area and everywhere I have been so far and the quality of the call is as good as any phone I have used.
The Internet connection is something that some have said they have issue with, however I think this is largely based on area and what phone are you comparing it to. Compared against a 4G phone it is of course slower however when compared neck and neck to say my friends LG Optimus Black on wally worlds straight talk the Triumph is faster in my area (and he pays almost twice as much per month for straight talk as I do at VM). Running speed test best of 10 times the LG Optimus Black got an average 3G speed of 508 kbps and my Triumph got 610 kbps. As said though the connection speed is largely based on area. I have wifi at my house and the phone is just amazing with wifi.
I find the camera and camcorder to be great 5 MP and 720p video- I am personally very happy with that and cant think of a 3G phone that has much better.
The only Multimedia things I do are listening to music while cleaning up my horses and watching...

Pros

• Recomend upgrading to Whyzor's CM7 reload 2.3.7
  • Will have CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • great reception and 3G in my area
  • Really good quality camera/camcorder
  • Runs google navigation as good as dedicated gps system

Cons

• Its not 4G but you get what you pay for dont you

JadaLouise
posted on 12 Feb 2012, 19:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)

I don't like it.

JadaLouise has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

It's not bad at first, but it has terrible reception. The battery life sucks. The front camera i horrible too. You don't get all your calls and messages. It starts messing up not long after having it.

• Reception
  • Internet

Cha7520
posted on 28 Oct 2011, 12:34 (Posts: 216; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)

Really good phone!

Cha7520 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I bought my Motorola Phone back in July. I know that a lot of people had problems with the phone, but I guess I lucked out in some areas. This is a really great phone for Virgin Mobile! I upgraded to this phone from the LG Optimus V. If you want a good phone and plan on staying with this phone for a while I would say its worth the $300.

Build quality 9/10 I like the squared off contemporary look. Its solid and has some weight.
Reception 6/10 The reception is not very good compared to the Optimus V because its not a dual band phone.
Call quality 10/10 Call quality has been excellent. No drop calls, no echoing, nothing.
Internet 9/10 Internet pinch to zoom is good.
Multimedia 9/10 I have 30 songs on my phone and plug it into my cassette converter and the sound quality is very good.
Camera 6/10 The 720p video is very very low quality and its suppose to be 30 frames per second, but its more like 15 frames per second. The camera is pretty good because you can change a lot of settings.
UI speed 8/10 The Snapdragon processor is very fast and snappy.
Everyday usage 10/10 I use my phone everyday and it doesn't freeze up or anything like my Samsung Intercept.
Text input 10/10 The 4.1" display makes texting very easy.
Display 10/10 I love the 800x480 resolution on the 4.1" display!
Battery 5/10 The battery that comes with the phone is 1380mAH, which I don't know why they decided to ship the phone with a low battery like that. I'm going to buy the 1500mAH anker battery on amazon.

Pros

• 4.1
  • 1Ghz Snapdragon processor
  • Front facing camera
  • HDMI out

Cons

• Below standard 5 Megapixel cam (yellowish color)
  • 720p camcorder is like 15 FPS. Very Low quality
  • Reception is low
  • Bad Battery life (get the 1500mAH battery on amazon)

Nick94657
posted on 06 Sep 2011, 17:55 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)

Way Above Average

Nick94657 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I don't have much more to say over what I've posted in the individual scores, except that I'd choose this phone over any other phone that the prepaid market has. It's a great smart-phone, and in my opinion it could compete with bigger and better smart phones out there. It does it's job, and does it very well. I expected to customize it more out of the box, but I've barely touched it and I'm satisfied. (and I'm a tech geek, I expected to mess with it a lot more after what I've heard of various Droids)

As for my gripes, I will say that the speakers seem to be muffled. That could be a defect in my particular phone, but they do the job. And the reception is not what I had expected out of this carrier. Beyond that, I'd definitely pick up this phone if I had to choose again.

Build quality 8/10 It has a fairly solid construction, except for the battery cover. Seems like it wants to pop off fairly easily.
Reception 3/10 It could be my location, but the reception is poor in most locations. At my house I'm lucky to get 1 bar. At my work, I expect full service, however, I'm getting 2 bars in the store I work (at most), and 3 bars in the parking lot. I'm dissappointed.
Call quality 7/10 I can say that I've owned 3 phones over the years, and I've noticed that the phone's speakers seem a little muffled. It could be the people I've called, as I haven't spoken to many different people since I've owned the phone.
Internet 7/10 The browser is very good, especially for a phone. I'm able to multi-task fairly easily, and reading text is no problem when paired with the zooming capabilities. Reception, however, kills this score.
Multimedia 7/10 The phone runs things fairly well, and things look good. However the reception puts a damper on this score.
Camera 9/10 The camera has pretty good quality, and for a cell phone it's amazing. However, the phone seems to change the quality to a lower resolution after every shut down.
UI speed 6/10 It's kind of slow some times, but for the most part its fairly fast. It will occasionally chug, but nothing that can't be remedied by leaving it alone for a moment.
Everyday usage 7/10 The battery life is honestly the biggest drain on the phone. If your frequently texting it could cause problems, but can possibly be remedied by bringing your charger.
Text input 8/10 Text input is better than I had expected. I use the stock messaging keyboard that comes with it and I am happy.
Display 9/10 Amazing screen size, especially for the carrier. The resolution seems top notch, and the colors are fairly bright. However, it's kind of hard to see on 'very bright' in direct sunlight. (expected)
Battery 1/10 This phone's battery life is on par with a Droid, and can be slightly extended using the power controls built-in. Stand-by time is decent when not in use, but quickly deteriorates with each use.

Pros

• Great display
  • Runs fast
  • Great camera
  • Price

Cons

• Poor battery life when in use
  • Reception seems poor
  • Speakers may not be the best for it's various capabilites

M-Walsh
posted on 02 Sep 2011, 11:06 (Posts: 7; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)

What a difference the extra screen real estate makes!

M-Walsh has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have been a happy Virgin Mobile customer for some time now. The $25 plan is great, especially with the unlimited web, but with the LG Optimus V I seemed to have reception problems. I now know that the reception problems had to do with the Optimus along with its general sluggishness, as I've had no such issues with the much snappier Motorola Triumph. I had read some disparaging reviews online about the Triumph which made me apprehensive about moving my service over to it, but my experience has been purely positive.

Even though others have said that the Triumph is pretty "vanilla" Android 2.2, I would have liked to see some kind of built-in task manager (holding down the Home button on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, for example, brings a list of recently-used applications and a "task manager" button that allows you to selectively kill apps). I've found that is a good way to extend Android's less-than-stellar battery life.

*** P.S. If you will buy this Motorola TRIUMPH I suggest at: Amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005DTSBEU/phonearena.com-20

Pros

• It works. Its rock solid
  • Fast
  • Android is great on this device.
  • Its structurally built well
  • The camera and screen are brilliant
  • Virgin price is awesome

Cons

• The battery lasts less than a day even with low to moderate use

Luke
posted on 14 Aug 2011, 18:29

triumph needs work

Luke has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The triumph shouldn't of been released in it's condition. Got it last week came from optimus v, the signal strength is terrible! Never got more than 2 bars in places that I would have full bars with optimus. GPS is horrible!! Would take over 5 min to find my location, where optimus would find it in seconds. Phone was released with no way to check for system update. If you run the system update tool you just get a error message. And no update on Motorola's end either.
Battery life is bad too! Has nice screen and is pretty fast but without solid basic functionality like GPS and call quality save your money. I returned it the same day and went back to optimus.

Pros

• nice screen, processor

Cons

• GPS and signal quality

Mark McCallister
posted on 08 Aug 2011, 23:56

Knocks out the HTC Evo!

Mark McCallister has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Overall, the right apps can make this device blow any contract phone currently, out of the water if your thinking about going the affordable route. DEFINATELY!
The screen overall was the deciding factor for me, I returned my Evo as soon as I heard about this device. There is literally no difference between the two, just I would rather have my WHITE htc, other than the slim color choice the power it packs is unmatched.

Battery 8/10 JuiceDefender helps me get 18hrs.

Pros

• Display!

Cons

• JuiceDefender App, helps the battery tremendously.
  • Autofocus

ardent1
posted on 29 Jul 2011, 01:03 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)

Great Prepaid Phone for Data but poor Battery Life.

ardent1 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I had a 3-day window to buy the phone and get the $25 a month data plan. I took a chance since it was my first Android Phone. The problem with prepaid phones today is they just plain suck if you want to surf the web. The Triumph's 4.1" of real estate did not disappoint. If you compare the Triumph to the Optimus V or iPod Touch, that 4.1" screen makes a big difference.

Reception with Sprint's network has been spotty. Sometimes it was hard to get a connection and the data speeds has been poor at times. Other times, the service was flawless. I didn't buy the phone to make calls, but the plan came with 300 anytime minutes; the call quality was decent and the reception was average. I have no plans to use the camera or camcorder, however the sample pictures that I took were okay and it was nice to have a flash for dark places. I have no plans to spend money on the Android marketplace.

The biggest defect in this phone is the 1,380 mAH battery. While I never timed how many hours I can use in 3G or WiFi mode, I have to charge the battery everyday (which is annoying, compared to charging every 2 days on the iPod Touch). Also, I can't leave my home without a backup power source (I use xPal 4001) just in case my Triumph runs out of juice. The 4 hours advertised for 3G is pretty fair. I have to warn you, when the battery icon is yellow, it goes to red very fast.

In summary, it's a great pre-paid phone for heavy data usage and it's very portable.

Pros

• Great features like 5 MP Camera
  • 4.1" Screen to surf the web