Motorola Rival User Reviews

Battery3.8/10
Reception4.2/10
Display2.6/10

victor1997
posted on 15 Nov 2012, 19:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)

its decent...for a basic phone

victor1997 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

this was my phone back in 09 its great i still have today since ive had to downgrade from the Motorola citrus. it lasts a long time and the battery is amazing i charge it every 3 days! but the camera and the internet is kind of weak

Internet 7/10 its slow at times
Multimedia 4/10 not much
Camera 8/10 pics look good once you put them in the computer

• call quality
  • storage

Cons

• internet

ddaniel455
posted on 07 Mar 2012, 17:16 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)

Why pay for looks if this phone doesn't work?

ddaniel455 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is a piece of s**t. After i had this phone for 2 or 3 weeks, the phone shut off, froze constantly, and would only work on a charger. The battery life is terrible. It is super easy to erase all contacts. Don't waste your money. Be smart and upgrade and save yourself money in the long run. The only thing that really made me buy this was because it can work on the prepaid $0.99 day plan, and it doesn't require a data plan ( at least not on the $0.99 prepaid plan ).

Build quality 1/10 - The software is awful & it's easy to erase all contacts & this phone shuts off & freezes constantly
Reception 1/10 - I was never able to test reception, because of the phone shutting off constantly
Call quality 1/10 - I was never able to test the call qaulity, because of the phone shutting off constantly
Internet 1/10 - The You Tube videos on this HTML browser buffers & freezes the phone
Multimedia 1/10 - You aren't able to listen to music in the background while texting or performing ANY other task
Camera 1/10 - The quality of this camera is awful. Don't depend on it to take Holiday pictures.
UI speed 1/10 - No Comment
Everyday usage 1/10 - It is impossible to use this piece of shit. It shuts off and freezes constantly.
Text input 1/10 - When this phone worked, I loved the keypad.
Display 1/10 - The phone looked nice as far as display, but it has so many bugs. I CAN NOT recommend this phone.
Battery 1/10 - The battery sucks, and after about 2 weeks of using it, it wouldn't work without being hooked up to a charger.

Pros

• It looks nice
  • The keyboard is awesome
  • I liked being able to watch short youtube videos (even though it buffered and froze most of the time)
  • Works on Verizon's prepaid $0.99 a day plan, and doesn't require a data plan

Cons

• Shuts off constantly
  • Freezes constantly
  • It is easy to erase all contacts
  • It is easy to snap in half
  • Software

ddaniel455 alternatives:

drummerkid
posted on 18 Feb 2012, 09:29 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)

Bad Phone NO GOOD!!!

drummerkid has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The battery life is pathetic! I can't make more than 2 phone calls n send 50 texts and it dies. There are better phones out there!!! The first one I had would automatically send text messages when I opened a new message so I send it back they give me a new one. That one work fine for a while then the battery starts wearing down til now it barely lasts a day and I don't even use it that much!

Pros

Cons

• BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!

ashley44
posted on 28 Nov 2011, 09:55 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!!!!!!!

ashley44 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

i was excited when i got this phone the purple was great. after my sister nuked it and i got the white one it was all down hill from there. it snapped in half after about 2 months i never even dropped it! we turned it in and got it "fixed" still never worked

Pros

• it looks cute
  • fits in pockets nicely

Cons

• breaks for no reason
  • its slow
  • doesnt work all the time

ashley44 alternatives:

fisherish
posted on 15 Aug 2011, 10:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)

Don't belive the bad hype!

fisherish has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I bought this phone from my friends mom after i dropped my cosmos in the toilet, and she had recently upgraded to a smart phone. She had already had it for her 2 years, and now I'm enjoying it. For the age of this phone, i'm very impressed. I think it's turned off on me twice, bug deal. it has, video, internet, a decent camera, and it's a super cute phone. i'm a heavy phone abuser, and after the literally hundreds of drops, this thing still performs like new. The only problem i've had, is occasionally when you send a text, it wont show you the "message sent" check mark, instead the little mailbox will stay on the screen for a about a minute, and then it will say, "message failed". BUT, just cancel the message after about ten seconds of the mailbox symbol thing (if you're having this problem) and it DOES send just fine! You just don't get the confirmation that you probably don't even wait for anyways. The keyboard is great for an avid texter, and the touch screen works just fine. Lock the screen before you put in in your pocket so you don't press any buttons accidentally, but that's common sense! I get reception EVERYWHERE except the middle of nowhere state-parks that my family loves so much. Since this phone isn't being manufactured anymore, if you have the option to make this a replacement phone until your contract is up, DO IT. I love this phone.

Camera 6/10 Decent on phone, but low quality once on PC
Everyday usage 10/10 VERY tough little phone, and I always have it on me.
Text input 10/10 LOVE the keyboard!
Display 3/10 The display is a little lack-luster with the colors, but it has nothing to do with the preformance of the phone, so it doesn't matter at all.
Battery 9/10 Can go 3-4 days on a single charge!

Pros

• Awesome keyboard
  • Good call reception
  • Long battery life

Zeig
posted on 28 Jul 2011, 18:01

crap

Zeig has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is a small brick. Although that is all I had to say, it demands I enter at least 250 characters so I will. The Motorola Rival, aka the worst phone ever, has tremendous trouble performing the most basic tasks, has the durability of a slice of corn bread, and lacks in performance so badly that the toy phones you purchase for your children at the dollar tree would be a more lucrative option. This shouldn't be called a cell phone, let alone an electronic device.

Pros

• It resembles a phone

Cons

• Don't be fooled by its similarities to a phone-it's not a phone
  • It's a brick

Anonymous123
posted on 21 Jun 2011, 17:18

Totally terrible. Never ever buy this phone!

Anonymous123 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had this phone for only a couple months, and it is already the worst phone EVER. It turns off for absolutely NO reason. And the battery life, for mine at least, last about 2 hours. Even when I charge it ALL NIGHT. ya, totally sucks. This phone likes to send messages before im done writing them, so all my friends get half a text. All my friends that had this phone say that after about a year, the screen actually popped off for them. Im still waiting for that to happen. Oh yeah, and now this stupid phone wont charge at all. So i had to text everyone i know and tell them that my battery is gonna die soon, and once it does, i cant ever turn it back on. And yes, i got a new charger and new battery to make sure. ITS THE PHONE!! nothing else is wrong. totally sucks. never buy it. i made the mistake of getting it before i read the terrible reviews.

Build quality 1/10 screen falls off
Reception 1/10 cant hear anyone when i call

Pros

• the full keyboard

Cons

• everything (seriously)

Rival Fan!
posted on 22 May 2011, 18:52

OMG>

Rival Fan! has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

OMG. ITS BETTER THAN A SMARTPHONE. OMG ITS SOOOO BETTER. CANT BELIEVE I ALMOST GOT A BLACKBERRY! ITS SO BETTER! ITS DEFINETLEY A "RIVAL" TO ALL PHONES! LOL :) anywayzz yeah get this. its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IT NOW. PLEASE. I WILL BE SO SAD WHEN IM DUE FOR AN UPGRADE!

Pros

• OMG. SO GOOD.

Cons

• Nothing! OMG. Beats a SMARTPHONE!

Rival Fan! alternatives:

Immad
posted on 15 May 2011, 22:42

Worst Phone I've ever had

Immad has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is the worst ever. I would spend countless hours just trying to have different conversations with people while it would randomly shut off. It would shut off while trying to send a message, trying to receive a message, trying to even open up my message inbox. Worst part about this, if I would try to open it up or it would show I have an unread message I couldn't find it in the inbox. The vibration setting on this phone is terrible and the most annoying thing ever. While texting the phone will go into random spazzes because of the stupid "touch screen" buttons. EVEN NOW, I just tried to read a text that was sent to me, phone turned off. I'm expecting that I won't be able to read the message, lets see...oh, I guess it wants to look in my contacts?...hmmm it's still doing random things and I can feel the vibration because the buttons are probably going crazy again. Oh and the message is gone. Great, it almost deleted all my contacts. Oh and when I would try to even take pictures the phone would freak out and start doing random things and crazy stuff. I HATE THIS PHONE!!!! THIS IS MY 3RD RIVAL!!!! I can't wait to go to AT&T..

Pros

• Key Pad

Cons

• Everything else

Elizabeth.
posted on 14 May 2011, 23:22

BORING.

Elizabeth. has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I really don't use my phone a lot. Mainly because I hate it. the graphics/display SUCKS!! it's SUUUUPPPERRR slow. Altho, I do REALLY like the keypad, very nice for texting, the camera takes really clear pictures, and the battery life will last me more then a week! (with limited use)

Internet 2/10 Would NEVER imagine using the internet on this slow of phone.

• keypad

Cons

• everything other then what I put for the pros

Elizabeth. alternatives:

steph94rein
posted on 01 May 2011, 12:18 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 May 2011)

Worst Phone Ever!

steph94rein has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Honestly, there is nothing good about this phone. I am currently on my fourth Motorola Rival. I hate how Verizon makes you have the phone for two years. That is just way too long to have a phone. It freezes, won't lock, touch screen doesn't work constantly, turns off by itself, screen lags a lot, and vibrates randomly. I have found out that Motorola phones are the worst phones. I am so glad that I am eligible for an upgrade. And at least this phone is discontinued...hmm, I wonder why.

Pros

• Keys are easy to text with

Cons

• Everything else

Ladybug116
posted on 22 Apr 2011, 21:02

Dumbest Phone In The World

Ladybug116 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Ive had this phone for almost 2 years now, and it really stinks. this is my second replacement.
-it freezes constantly
-if your not careful, it can erase all of your contacts
-the things holding it together break in half
-the screen turns white
-it randomly buzzes on vibrate
-the touch screen buttons hardly work

Internet 5/10 never used the internet
Multimedia 5/10 never used this
Battery 2/10 doesnt last very long

Pros

• it can get me through the day

Cons

• everything i talked about at the top

ihatemotorola
posted on 19 Apr 2011, 20:38

Really? Who made such a sucky phone?

ihatemotorola has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

So I've had this phone for almost 18 months. IT SUCKS! I'm on my 2nd one because the first one I had wouldn't charge. At first i thought it was the charger so i bought a new charger. Then i thought it was the battery so we bought a new battery. But it turns out a needed a new phone. So then we had to buy that. This phone is sorta cute. It cuts offf randomly, the touch screen is annoying,it takes forever to recieve messsages. If you call someone, the can't hear you. The touch screen randomly presses buttons. I wouldn't recomend this phone to anyone. I wouldn't even let my dog pee on it. The battery suddenly runs out too. I charge it ALL night, then it dies at like 4.

Pros

• Colors?

Cons

• EVERYTHING

andrewp1788
posted on 14 Apr 2011, 09:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Apr 2011)

Decent Phone but has issues.

andrewp1788 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

My first phone i had no issues aside for a little laggy while messaging or opening menus. Then came the White Screen issue, verizon gave me a new phone.
The Second had more issues laggy and touch screen was really touchy. and once again came the white screen issue.
My third was a pain, it would shut it self off after i sent a text, but never lagged as much. And the screen died out is now black.

My Mom has one and hers is very laggy and the touch screen is a major pain. although hers started to stop replying to messages but this was fixed with an upgrade to the soft ware. Also her camera has stopped working.

Aside from those issues i've never had a problem with this phone, no missed texts no dropped calls, the phone has taking a couple of tumbles but continued to work fine, camera and video camera turned out well although the pictures don't rank up there with a digital camera they turned out fine and very nice looking on the phone, the video on the other hand is low quality but again looks great on phone.

Build quality 7/10 Took falls and continued to work, but has a problem with the screen turning white, the makers have know about this.
Reception 9/10 Never had any issues getting or sending a call.
Call quality 5/10 Sometimes it was hard to hear the other person.
Internet 5/10 Never used internet.
Multimedia 8/10 The music player fitted what i need i'm sure more could be done. Could only use MP3 as well.
Camera 8/10 Camera takes good pictures but not the best, they look better on phone.
Everyday usage 9/10 I've used this phone every day and alot for texting with little to no issues.
Text input 8/10 Aside for the little bit of lag it could experience it was a great phone for messaging and notes.
Battery 8/10 My battery lasts for up to a week with just texting, but after playing my music for a few hours it dose tend to drop. No opinion on calls

Pros

• Decent Phone
  • Full Sized Keyboard
  • Takes good Pictures
  • nice amount of features.
  • Sounds were not bad.
  • Messaging was very good.
  • Could take some abuse.
  • Sd card slot was located in a good place

Cons

• White Screen
  • Some bit of lag
  • pictures could always be better
  • Video was junk viewing on computer
  • touch screen could act up at times
  • may need software to be upgraded after a while
  • the pre set ringtones were crap

Dillon
posted on 08 Apr 2011, 17:23

WORST PHONE EVER

Dillon has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

this phone is horrible it has issues with sending and receiving text messages which led me to believe that my friends no longer liked or wanted to talk to me which sent me into a pit of loneliness, depression and paranoia which put me in therapy this phone ruined my social life and destroyed my sanity and self image.

Pros

• worked for like 2 months

Cons

• sucks
  • wont work
  • freezes up
  • screen goes white
  • screen is delayed
  • touch buttons will begin to press themselves

AngryPhoneOwner
posted on 02 Mar 2011, 17:40

Do NOT get this phone

AngryPhoneOwner has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

THis phone is the worst phone- ever!
-It is laggish
-the screens goes blank/turns white
-the phone freezes along with all the buttons
-it is sometimes irresponsive
-the screen comes off and is loose
-the vibration setting for volume is horrible
-the touch screen number pad is bad
-the touch buttons are to sensitive
-while sending a message it sometimes freezes or takes about 2 min. to send
-sometimes the messages arent sent at all
DO NOT GET THIS PHONE

Pros

• My battery life is very long. (3 days) (but every phone seems to have diffrent problems)

Cons

• Alot

Matt-Bmf
posted on 23 Feb 2011, 00:24

This phone blows.

Matt-Bmf has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

When I got this phone i was all excited for the little touch screen and key board. Oh was I wrong. The phone has a mind of its own. I have owned a total of 4 of this phone and every single one is worse then the other.

-It shuts off randomly.
-If you close the screen it shuts off.
-If you press the screen to hard it goes white.
-Text messages will send half way through a text.
-When talking people can not hear you.
-Touch screen will stop working all together.
-To many messages turns the phone off.
-Phone will spazz out and sometimes but things (don't ask me how...).
-Screws come lose from the screen.
-You can only use an "authorized" charger.
-Keyboard light will sometimes not work.
-When taken to store to get replaced all problems with it seem to disappear.
-Phone utterly and totally sucks.

Pros

• Keyboard, maybe. When light is on.

Cons

• Everything. And everything. Down to the little screws holding it together.

Kelcie Pearpilkoff
posted on 10 Feb 2011, 23:06

Motorola rival; Good phone for a teens first phone, but not for somone who is looking for a good quality phone!

Kelcie Pearpilkoff has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I am a turning 15 years old and i have had this phone for 1 year and i got it when i was 13 anyways i think that this is an alright phone for a teenager its just kind outdated! There are many things i like about this phone aswell as manything i do not like about it.
Good- I like the camra and it comes with nice display pictures on the phone, i love how it has wifi anywhere, i like that its small but its a little to small, its a nice purple colour!

Bad- Slow interent!, glitches out and sends blank messages(ALOT), I would have liked it to have a qwetry touch keyboard, outdated design! THSI IS A BIG ONE! THIS PHONE WILL NOT KET YOU SEND OUT SMALL MESSAGES! such as "hi" or "hey" it will not send it !, this the first few months i had it it said that the phone cant safe texts so i had to buy a memorie card!

I would recomend that you dont get this phone for a 3 year term its just kinda a pre-paid kinda phone! BBut its a good phone for a teens first phone who will only have it for a year or so!

I am getting the LG Optimus one with google smart phone! and i am very excited for a new phone

KD66942
posted on 06 Feb 2011, 15:03

The Motorola Rival

KD66942 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

The Rival was my first phone. As a teen i was suprised it could withstand my many drops. I have experienced many of the same problems everyone is talking about such as:
1) freezes
2) wont send text messages so i have to turn off my phone then turn it back on
3) shut off randomly
4) somtimes the little touchscreen circle bottons dont work so i have to keep trying
5) The battery life isnt so great
I love the phone but it has alot of flaws. I think its build well becuase of how well it withstands my abuse.

Multimedia 1/10 The sound quality isnt totally great
Camera 2/10 The camera is grainy and when i send bideos to my e-mail there is no sound :( (plus it only tapes for 1 minute)

Logan Childers
posted on 04 Feb 2011, 21:20

MOTAROLA RIVAL SUX!!!!!!

Logan Childers has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

this phone sucks i cant belive i got it!!!. i dont recomend it for anyone this is my fourth one and i have had it for almost two years and i know people say some phones are just not for the right people...... but this phone broke on me the first 2 months i would NOT recomend this phone just it down right sux. and it was good for the first week or so and then it started to freeez i was soo mad!!!!!!!!! in april i get a new phone im so excited !!!!!!!! april here i come!!!!1

Pros

• the messaging was great it saved almost 290 something messages
  • the color purple and black was great

Cons

• everything els it started getting slow horrable reception

littlepiggy
posted on 01 Feb 2011, 21:39

3RD PHONE-ALL HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES

littlepiggy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Well, techniclly I haven't had the one i have for a year, but I've had 3- i got the first almost exactly a year ago. My first one, PEOPLE COULDN'T HEAR ME ON CALLS!!! My second one, MY TOUCH SCREEN SPAZZED AND PRESSED ITS OWN BUTTONS! My 3rd and current, IT SHUTS OFF RANDOMLY!!!!!!!! UGHGHGHGH! Sooooooo would not reccomend, every one I know who has this phone HATES IT and all my friends know how bad it is. I WANT A NEW PHONE and motorola can DIE in a HOLE with a CAT!!!! DIE!!!!!!

Build quality 1/10 IT BREAKS
Reception 7/10 I actually have good calls.
Camera 6/10 3.0 megapixels, pretty good, but not too many editing features.
Battery 3/10 The batteries fine, but when it turns itself on in my backpac it runs out the battery.

Pros

• Good megapixels on camera
  • Can type in gloves

Cons

• Has short terms probs
  • Has LONG-TERM probs
  • Breaks often
  • Soooooo frusterating!!!!

Jordan Ward
posted on 02 Jan 2011, 18:46

I'd rather castrate myself...

Jordan Ward has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

... Than keep using this piece of god forsaken poop. They should have named it the Motorola Shitbrick. (That's what my friends and I refer to it as.)
I have had all the problems you folks have had over the last year and a half, but have suffered through it and not requested a refurb. One thing that I didn't see mentioned was the fact that every time you try to use someone elses charger for this fucker, it will give you an "Unauthorized Charger" screen and will not allow you to charge the phone... What the fuck kind of bullshit is that?
I can't even keep talking about this thing or I'll get irate. Fucking sucks, Motorola can go die and never make a phone again.
EPIC FAIL.

tina
posted on 22 Dec 2010, 15:39

dnt waste ur time (IM A BIGGG TXTER IF YOU HAVENT NOTICED)

tina has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

OKAY WELL the worst fone ive ever got i was all crzy over this fone until ive started to expierience these following fag-it-ish thing

-well this gay fone would turn off if i reached a certain Ammount of txt msgs
-it would take a mind of its own n start pressing buttons
-freezes up

and of course if i tld my mom about this she wouldnt believe me cuz im youngest but i kept telling her bout it im getting a new one hopefuly this christmas n hopefuly i will make it before destroying it
also im on my 2nd one cuz my first one literilly broke in half n i couldnt beilweve wat a waste of money this was!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrr MOTOROLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• just

Cons

• sux

kissmegoodbye
posted on 11 Dec 2010, 17:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 Dec 2010)

HORRIBLE PHONE!!

kissmegoodbye has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I read through every single Moterola Rival review and can relate with every single one. I've had four refurbished models (in all I've have 5) for the same phone and have had problems every single tome; I'm CURRENTLY having problems with it. I only chose this phone because it had a cute layout and the keys were a good size. I thought it would work out. Ohhh, I was SO wrong!

So many bad things happened, like:

-The screen would freeze up
-It would drop calls
-It would send texts while I was in the middle of texting

and SO much more! So I wouldn't recommend this phone to anybody! Take this from me, and DON'T buy this phone! Don't waste your money or time and get a descent phone that actually works when you use it!

Battery 3/10 Battery stayed charged for an acceptable amount of time.

Pros

• Good when it works
  • Fits in your pocket

Cons

• EVERYTHING!!

kissmegoodbye alternatives:

turtledove
posted on 01 Dec 2010, 10:02

HORRIBLE PHONE!!!

turtledove has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I hate this phone. It was appealing at first because I am excessive texter and I thought the design was cute. But problems were rampant not too long after I had it. The "touch screen" is a joke - it starts doing stuff on it's own for no reason and if I'm not careful, it'll *almost* delete my entire contact list. It shuts down and restarts by itself (mostly if the inbox reaches and certain amount) This is the 4th replacement I've had and I would rather use a freakin' Nokia than this phone. It is a joke and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The only reason why the rating is even as high as it is because the battery life is way better than most phones.

Pros

Cons

• pick something!