Motorola Q9m User Reviews

MzD
posted on 22 Aug 2010, 04:30

2.3

Do NOT inflict this upon yourself.

Stay. Away. From. This. Phone. I HATE everything about this phone. I bought it cuz the green is cute. Too bad it immediately scratches off. The browser.. Well, I can't say anything about it. It's never functioned in the 6 months I've had the phone. It takes OKAY pictures.  It's PAINFULLY slow. I type a text message, as in hit the keys, however, on the screen, it takes up to 45 seconds JUST to finish a simple 9 character statement. EVERYTHING glitches, and it randomly decides to connect to a WAP sign on screen. I have to hit cancel literally 25 times before it stops flashing that screen at me. It takes up to 2 minutes before I can even read a text when this happens. Heaven forbid I need my phone for an emergency call... It interferes with my alarm, which I depend on for work. I work for a wireless dealer, and of ALL the things I deal with in regards to complaints directly attributed to phone issues, NOTHING COULD EVER POSSIBLY be as obnoxious as this phone in it's entirety. Also, I have A LOT of complaints that no one can hear me, and I have to scream into the phone if not on speaker. I've experienced every other issue listed in previous reviews as well. If you have this phone, even if it's not currently activated on a network, GO OUTSIDE AND SET IT ON FIRE IMMEDIATELY.

Pros

• It was green. Once.

Cons

• It exists.

Dr. Don
posted on 06 Oct 2009, 14:34

Not as bad as some say.

The other reviews are helpful but I found this phone to be relatively user friendly.  I use this as my alarm and it wakes me.  If you want it louder, utilize the outdoor function.  The camera and internet functions work adequately for me but I do not use them daily.  I like the real internet explorer not the mobile one.

Pros

• Internet Explorer
  • Easy to use
  • Durable until a car runs over it :-) oops.

Cons

• Only 2 alarms-no weekend only alarm

ALLISSA
posted on 13 Sep 2009, 00:29

CONS OUTWAY THE PROS

I HAD THIS PHONE FOR 3 MONTHS, HOWEVER WITHIN THE 3 MONTHS IT WAS REPLACED 3 TIMES.THE PHONE HAS SEVERAL HARDWARE ISSUES AND DEVELOPS PROBLEMS AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF USE.THE INTERNET AND MICROSOFT OFFICE APPLICATIONS ARE SLUGGISH. THE SCROLL WHEEL ON THE SIDE WAS HANDY BUT OFTEN SCROLLS TOO FAR.THIS PHONE CONTAINS A FEATURE WHERE YOU CAN USE YOUR SIGNAL TO GET WIRELESS CONNECTION WHICH IS WONDERFUL UNTIL THE PHONE STOPS WORKING COMPLETELYI ENJOYED THE LAYOUT OF THE KEYBOARD. IT IS SPACIOUS AND EASY TO TEXT WITH. ALSO HAS A GOOD MEMORY FOR IT YOU TYPE A WORD OR PHRASE OFTEN IT WILL POP UP.THE SCREEN WAS CLEAR ARE PRODUCED WONDERFUL PICTURES THAT WERE CLEAR.THE CAMCORDER PLAYBACK IS EXTREMELY BAD. IT SKIPS AND CUTS OUT THE PICTURE.THE RINGING VOLUME GETS UP TO AN AVERAGE. BUT WILL NOT GET MUCH LOUDER. THIS IS BAD WHEN YOU ARE IN THE OTHER ROOM AND ARE EXPECTING A CALL.SENDING PICTURE AND VIDEO MESSAGES ARE A PAIN. MOST OFTEN YOU NEED TO RETRY MULTIPLE TIMES OR TURN OFF YOUR PHONE AND TURN IT BACK ON BEFORE IT WORKS.THIS PHONE ONLY HAS 2 ALARMS WHICH IS FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU NEED IT TO GO OVER AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE DAY. ALSO YOU DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO SET THE ALARM ONCE A WEEK OR ONLY ON WEEKENDS THIS PHONE IS EITHER SET ON OR OFF THAT IS IT.OVERALL THIS PHONE COULD BE DECENT WITHOUT THE MALFUNCTIONS. BUT IT ISN'T WORTH ANY COST TO HAVE YOUR PHONE REPLACED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Pros

• BATTERY LIFE
  • KEYBOARD
  • CAMERA IS AMAZING
  • GOOD RECEPTION
  • GOOD TEXTING MEMORY (UP TO 4 WORDS)
  • CLEAR SCREEN

Cons

• SLUGGISH
  • POOR INTERNET COVERAGE
  • LOW VOLUME
  • ONLY 2 ALARMS
  • POOR PIC/VIDEO MESSAGES
  • VIDEO PLAYBACK
  • OVERALL NOT WORTH GETTING

posted on 06 Jul 2009, 19:53

Q9c

I have been using this phone for way too long. I have experienced the same problems as the others. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT purchase this phone. Please.

MattTHEANGRY
posted on 07 Jun 2009, 08:50

MOTOROLA Q9C! WORST PHONE ISSUES EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased this phone from US CELLULAR 90 days ago.  Now Let's Review I got the CHARCOAL and My Fiance bought the LIME.  Hers has had little to know problems.  It may have crashed maybe once and might have had a failed text message send or two.  Now Lets Look at time frame and my Charcoal Q9C
1.  Original Purchase phone lasted less than 24 hours and the Speaker died.  Took back and they gave me a brand new one.  (1st replacement) (PS  they forgot to program it while i was there so I had to go across town AGAIN just to get them to set it up)
2.  About a month to 5 weeks after that, the system was crashing I was having issues with the tmail.exe file trying to use 100% of my memory.  Did master reset, worked fine for a day, started crashing worse, locking up, freezing, iexplorer, windows media player, tmail, EVERYTHING started crashing.  The phone would lock up so bad I would have to take the battery out to get it to reset/shut off.  Called US CELLULAR, they sent me a (uh oh) REFURBISHED ONE.  Took to US CELLULAR got programmed.  (2nd Replacement)
3.  Had phone for two weeks.  See #2 for what went wrong.  Called US CELLULAR, got another refurbished(Was told at the time that if this next one didnt work that they would see about switching me into a new phone(even though Im not to keen on the blackberrys and WILL NEVER own another sliding qwerty keyboard phone). (3rd replacement)
4. ...

Pros

• Style of Phone
  • Button Layout
  • Internet Sharing

Cons

• Hardware Issues
  • Software Issues

posted on 27 Apr 2009, 12:58

Good phone

The phone is petty good! I was really satisfied with it. the battery is awesome, the calls are great, the pictures are not that good they come out a little blurry but idk. its ok. there was one problem I had with it and I dont know if it was just me. but when you use the alarm and turn off your phone for a while ( cause i didnt use it anymore) for like 2 months the alarm goes off for everytime the alarm would have rung if you were using it. i had to wait for all the alarms to stop. but other than that its good.

• phone calls
  • texting

Cons

• alarm

heatherftw
posted on 21 Apr 2009, 23:56

motorola q9c lime = beautiful & functional :)

i have only had this phone for two weeks, so i can't say it's amazing and will never freeze or anything. idk that. but so far it's been pretty dang amazing. i had to run and get it cuz us cellular only had three left and are discontinuing it. i do really like this phone, but i'm thinking about switching to the samsung delve before my month is over just because i've heard so many bad things about the q9c. i'm still debating though. but i must say, great improvement from my previous motorola razr v2, and i love having a qwerty keypad :)

Pros

• 1. unique design and the like colour is unique as well.
  • 2. great keypad (once you get used to it).
  • 3. really flashy (you'll get a lot of compliments.
  • 4. i like how the txt msging is set up like i.m.

Cons

• 1. it takes quite a while to load a page while web browsing
  • 2. once i set up my email, i noticed the words lag a bit while txting or typing on myspace, facebook, etc.
  • 3. ringtones and alarms are very quiet (disapointing since i use my phone as an alarm in the morning).
  • 4. the keypad was a bit awkward to get used to at first, as is the thumbwheel, but that could be because i've only ever had one other phone in my life and i was used to that.

Ginger
posted on 09 Apr 2009, 03:20

Motorola Q9c

I had my first smartphone less than a 4 months, so far I have to replace the phone 4 times with Alltel/Verizon  the orginal phones started dropping calls and shutting off and crashing, the refurbish one did work for about 3 days and started crashing, the 2nd one Alltel me the keypad wouldn't light up.  The 3rd phone after 4 days was experiencing a loud noisy "feedback" and would let even let you send or receive txt.  I have been with Alltel 7yrs this is the worst phone I have ever bought from them.  This all happen in 3 weeks.  I couldn"t get alltel store to replace it until  I complain to a District Manager

Kristina
posted on 05 Mar 2009, 13:23

freezes way too often

I originally had the Moto Q and I kept having to get it replaced because of numerous problems. I got a refurbished Q9C from Sprint when they had run out of regular Q's. I've only had it for about 3 months and it freezes numerous times a day and the charging port has broken about 3 times. This phone has been nothing but terrible and as soon as my contract is up I'm getting rid out of this horrid thing.

Pros

• home screen is easy to navigate

Cons

• keyboard sticks, freezes so much, slow

Chris Carico
posted on 24 Nov 2008, 23:25

Good but gone...

Overall good phone, but I am getting rid of it. Crashed a bit often, but I have used other Windows Mobile phones before and am used to it. User friendly, one of the best smartphones right now in my opinion.

My only real problem is that I am currently in a contract with U.S. Cellular because they get the best reception in my area which is the most important part to me so I got this phone  and I really think that U.S. Cellular got the cheap Korean knockoff or something because I have has 2 of these in 3 months of using it. The first incident was that I was walking out of a class and dropped it on the pavement and the entire screen cracked and died...all be it that I wouldn't expect this phone or any other candy bar type phone to survive that so I went and had it replaced and it took about 5 weeks to replace...(freaking Motorola's fault)...then I had it for about 2 more weeks and knocked it off about a 3-foot tall night stand onto padded shag carpet and the screen broke again...
Never the less it is now gone.

Pros

• Nothing bad about it really.

Cons

• U.S. Cellulars type breaks like a glass baby

posted on 23 Nov 2008, 19:23

Didnt want to take the time to post but, i seen someone saying its "bullShi*" that it crashes alot.. and i got my phone 4 days ago and loved it for the first 2 days.. havnt done to much with it.. put songs on the memory card that doesnt effect the phone its self.. when i take showers i leave the phone in a different room to keep moisture from getting into it.. i have never dropped it and have a protective case on it.. and.. now it wont work at all .. 4 days after buying it.. half of the keys wont work or take you different places than where you clicked.. can no longer send or look at TXT messages... its just horrible.. idk if mine is just one out of alot that is messed up or not..i have seen alot of complaints about them breaking..
and as for someone else who said there are hardly in any cons to this phone there full of crap...you cant check text while talking ( i would double check before typing that but..i cant.. my phone wont leave the home screen).. but ..it is nice if it works..if these phones even do work.. this post might not be worded correctly but, im venting right now because i dont understand why they release stuff before making sure it works..

posted on 16 Sep 2008, 18:53

10 month update

I bought this phone 10 months ago. I have concluded that I can no longer function without it. It is extremely userfriendly and customizable.
There have been comments about it freezing up. Some of these are valid. My has frozen probably 5 times since I bought it. There is a maintenance program that runs occassionally called "calnot.exe" or something like that. It really screws things up. My recommendation is to set up the right Soft-key to  function as the Task Manager. Then you can periodically Kill All programs. If you ever see this running, you should shut it down.
Also, when the device is syncing to your PC, leave it alone. I "monkeyed" with mine in the middle of a Sync and it overwelmed the phone.
10 months later and the little battery lasts about 3 days.
I bought this to replace my phone and PDA. Compared to my Dell Axim, it rocks. That thing froze up to 5 times a day. When my contract expires, I wouldn't be surprised if I kept my Q. The sliding smart phones just aren't my thing.

Brian
posted on 21 Aug 2008, 10:14

Better than Blackberry Hands Down

I love my Q9c. It has mostly every thing I need. It is very user friendly. I would recommend this phone to anyone in corporate business. Does not work with outlook express or flash player, those are the only cons for me.

Nester
posted on 18 Aug 2008, 14:57

Very Nice Phone

I have been using my 9QC for about 6 months and it has been very great! I love the features because they are just what I need any where I go. In fact, I hardly browse internet on my laptop since I got this phone. I recommend this great technology to everyone!

Christ B
posted on 17 Aug 2008, 19:30

Q9c for the win

I've never been into smart phones, but I have to say...this converted me...I'll never own a regular phone again. Its awesome. Easy to use, tons of programs to load, and can do just about anything.

Bc
posted on 17 Aug 2008, 01:56

more like OK then good

as of now own this phone, its nice looking and has great features!
the real problem is the keys on the phone there way to small and its hard to use for example using the enternet browser if i was supposed to type in google it would be hard for me to type it in with out me re-typing it a few times. Its my first big phone and i like it but im thinking of returning it for a another phone if this phone doesnt work out. Other then that i dont have any other problems with it.

Domino
posted on 05 Aug 2008, 10:13

The best phone I have used

I would just like to start off by saying that the previous review (the one saying this phone crashes all the time) is complete bullshit. This phone does *not* crash all the time, in fact, it has only frozen up on me ONCE in the entire time I've owned this handset. It's a very stable handset, and this guy either got a bad one or has damaged his in some way to make it behave like that.

anyway, to give you a little backstory... I had never really gotten into the whole "smartphone" thing up until recently. I saw these Palm Treos and HTC devices and then saw the price tag and was pretty much discouraged.

Needless to say, on a vacation in myrtle beach I dumped my LG Voyager in the hotel pool and roached it beyond all recognition. When I returned I went to the verizon store and the rep told me about the "new" Q. (Apparently Sprint has had the Q9C for some time now so I say 'new' loosely)

so instead of giving you a sales pitch, I'll just give you my pros/cons for this phone, from what I have experienced.

PROS:

- Very long battery life, mine lasts 2 days easily even with browsing, texting, and automatic mail retrieval. Don't ask me how, it just does.

- Keyboard is amazing, I actually tried typing on a friends LG Voyager and I realized how cheap the Voyager's keyboard feels. The Q's is rubberized and not crowded at all. I love it.

- You can browse the web, text people, and listen to music ... all at the same time. It's everything I need in a device. Windows...

Spizzel
posted on 28 Jul 2008, 16:20

5.2

Reviewer

This phone is 'meh' at best. Sounded awesome at first but was quickly let down. The system crashes ALL the time. Only way to fix it you ask? Well power cycle the phone of course! This is something you will need to get used to doing, you will be doing it alot. The phone itself is pretty nice. It has a nice display, the keyboard is awesome, the scroll wheel is nice. The thing is, all the 'ups' of this phone, many other phones have as well. To me thats the deal with this phone, it has some ok things, but there are phones out there that do everything better. As for internet, i reeeeally hope you dont plan on doing ANY kind of surfing on this phone. Its a smartphone so i didnt expect anything grand in this department but just checking email is a headache. The broswer locks up constantly resulting in having to powercycle. Bottom line, it crashes alot, there is a lot of delay when trying to do things (just plain lagging out), the internet isnt even worth mentioning and its a pain having to trouble shoot it. It does have a awesome keyboard and the reception is amazing. Unless you can get this thing for dirt cheap or free, save yourself the headache and dont even bother.

N/A
posted on 08 Jul 2008, 10:54

This Phone is Grrrreat!!

I have had the Moto Q9c for a week and it has been one of the best phones I have ever owned. It does everything I want it to do plus more, I have no complaints about this phone other than the camera could at least be 2.0 instead of 1.3, but other than that I love it, thanks Moto!!

Benjamin
posted on 07 Jul 2008, 18:19

The Verizon Q9C

The first thing you will notice about the Motorola Q9C is that it is a VERY slim phone. It's very pocketable, and very slim. The keyboard is one of the strongest features of this device, as it is very comfortable (although smaller than an EnV or Voyager, so it'll take a bit to get used to.)

Overall the design of the device is very tight and functional. There is a scroll wheel on the side, but I haven't found it all that usefull. The silver directional pad on the front is quicker and offers more control.

what more can really be said? This phone is good for multi-tasking. You can listen to your MP3 collection while browsing the web and texting people. You can run the GPS program in the background and get directions while you chat via Windows Live Messenger.

but I have a feeling you're not hear to read about the GOOD things about this device. It should be noted that the shortcomings of this device are more inherent to Windows Mobile itself. I've outlined my complaints here:

1. Performance: This phone can multitask rather well, but running too many intensive applications will slow the phone down. You will notice quickly that monitoring your running processes is the key keeping the phone running well

2. Windows Mobile: Overall most of the annoyances with this device are with Windows Mobile. In its current state, Windows Mobile is more like a giant hunk of clay... it's only as pretty and functional as YOU MAKE IT. You will need to download 3rd party...

Kimberly
posted on 24 Jun 2008, 18:51

im a pro at Q9m hard reset

Have to say that those who have nice things to say about this phone must work a completely windows integrated system. I use a mac and a sunray and i have had to hard reset 6 times. talked to verizon and it is a known problem that they cannot support because i am not a windows user. supposedly i have not gotten all the required software updates. this phone is 3 months old, how often will i have to update it? according to verizon, i should have never bought the phone since it is not compatible with my other electronics... thanks! problem "comes from customer' and they will not even let me have a new phone without a new 2 year contract. to me they are selling a bad product and they are not being responsible for its errors and mistakes. they know that it has problems and they are still selling them! long story short, can't wait to be fully mac person with an iphone and a more friendly (hopefully) service carrier. my worst 250 dollar investment.

juan
posted on 15 Jun 2008, 11:32

juany

i know this is for the verizon phone but i had it for sprint n ive went trought atleast 7-9 phones in my life time n im only 15 =p but i absolutly hate this phone it worked perfectly well for the first 2 months n then all of the sudden it toook longer to sedn a text or to go toa website n than later if i was at the home screen n try to click on something it woulnt go to it n it pissed me off o so much ugh so ive had to do a hard reset 5 times for this phone. im switching to the blackberry curve

PJ
posted on 07 Jun 2008, 14:58

my review

Well i have to give motorola credit for pulling this out fo there sleeves because they arnt doing so well right now. i like this phone because its just a nice phone that i wouldnt mind having and carieing around with me. and i like the design of the phone alot . i hope that motorola can pull them selves out of the hole and get more nicer phones out

Yo!Gurt
posted on 02 Jun 2008, 07:57

music to my ears~

i upgraded from the q9c, since i love music! the q9c is not that different... it does have V-Cast, but this phone has Broadband Access, meaning I can download many more songs, and it has song ID, so you play a song and it says the name. This phone also has an updated Windows Mobile 6 UI. I've noticed that there's an updated IM/Myspace feature, where the q9c doesn't have it availible.

posted on 09 May 2008, 01:58

I love everything about this phone. If u love ur music make sure u get the motorola S9 bluetooth stero headphones. I promise u they will blow u away!!!