Motorola Moto X User Reviews

Build quality9.6/10
Text input9.5/10
Everyday usage9.7/10

eliteastro
posted on 13 Aug 2014, 11:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Aug 2014)

great all around phone

eliteastro has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Got this phone from at&t for 50 dollars which is a steal won't be needing to upgrade anytime soon this phone has kept me satisfied. I really don't like other android OEMS skins over android always been a nexus guy but this phone takes it

Build quality 10/10 Just feels natural in the hand
Reception 10/10 Never had any drop calls or bad reception with my 2 1/2 months with it

Pros

• stock android with actual features that are helpful great build quality and although camera got bashed for it being a bad I actually get good pictures from it and it has a pretty loud speaker which I like and call quality is excellent

Cons

• wish I would have got the 64gb version tho

wb4inc
posted on 22 Jul 2014, 05:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)

I wanted to love this phone, but....

wb4inc has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The attraction: "Sweet spot" size, great hand feel & always listening Google Now. The reality, this is not a premium phone, and poor sales confirm this. No. 1, it's a phone with poor call reception quality. No. 2, the build quality is poor, with uneven fit and finish, cheap plastic build...try opening the sim card tray and keeping it in one piece. No. 3, the overall screen appearance is dark. No. 4, the camera is dismal. How can you sell a phone with such poor camera quality? No amount of software tweaks can fix this camera. Same for Nexus 5.

Build quality 3/10 Poor fit and finish. Sim card tray extended out from phone and the flimsy plastic cover broke off from the metal sim card holder upon accessing.
Call quality 3/10 Weak sound and tinny voice quality.
Internet 9/10 rapid access
Multimedia 9/10 does most everything well.
Camera 3/10 The big disappointment ...inconsistent quality, and generally very poor pictures under any condition. How can you sell a phone knowing the camera is that bad? No amount of software tweaks can fix.
UI speed 9/10 a pleasure
Display 7/10 overall dark appearance

Pros

• Touchless Google Now
  • Always listening feature

Luiz670
posted on 30 Jun 2014, 22:21 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)

Best current phone

Luiz670 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The only current phone that has a nice size, it is very compact and is much faster than any phone I have used, including phones like Galaxy S5, Xperia Z2 and Note 3. Performs really well at any game, once you have it you won't believe it has the same specs you saw on the Internet. The camera is also very good, I compared it with an iPhone 5 and everybody admitted the Moto X camera was better, even my dad, a huge Apple fan, but when I bought it the camera was horrible, but then they updated it and now it is one of the best smartphone cameras.

Pros

• Too much to list, everything except the cons

Cons

• No external storage
  • No removable battery

Luiz670 alternatives:

acura355
posted on 25 Mar 2014, 12:48 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)

Great phone (Verizon)

acura355 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

THis is a great overall phone. Perfect screen size and fits in the hand very well. Good display, sound quality, connectivity, updates to latest version of Android on Verizon network. Camera is not very good though. THe call quality is also only average.

Call quality 8/10 Earpiece sound not the best.

• Connectivity
  • Speakerphone volume
  • Phone size

• Earpiece

Michaelsalaets
posted on 22 Feb 2014, 19:44 (Posts: 25; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)

Great!

Michaelsalaets has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

i won this phone from my work. i have been using it for a few days now. LOVE it! (and i was using a note 3) its so smooth, amazing texting experience, plus i mean you can't beat a phone with almost stock android. i love it more than my note 3 with one exception.... CAMERA, this phone is not the phone to get when it comes to pictures! other than that great phone for new android users or current users. plus, you cant beat the off contract price of almost the same you would pay on contract for a note 3!

Build quality 10/10 Feels GREAT in hand
Reception 9/10 had no issues at all except for once when hard switching from lte to 3g
Internet 10/10 best conection i have ever had on a phone
Multimedia 8/10 720 display looks great honestly but the rear facing speaker i hate, sounds good. but shoots away from you
Camera 7/10 biggest disappointment about this phone. very dull pictures

Pros

• Build
  • Ease of use
  • Good battery
  • Notification peak,
  • signal strength and call quality

Cons

• CAMERA CAMERA CAMERA

PapaSmurf
posted on 03 Feb 2014, 08:58 (Posts: 7743; Member since: 14 May 2012)

Moto X

PapaSmurf has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got a Moto X three days ago and switched back to my Note 3 yesterday. I couldn't make it past a whole weekend without switching back. The camera on the Moto X is pretty terrible overall (running 4.4). The fact that it takes a picture after it "focuses" ends up with dark shots half the time as well as inaccurate colors sometimes. The speaker when making calls is super weak, pretty muvh useless if I wasn't able to hear the other persosn well with thr soeaker grill next to my ear. Typing on the smaller screen just didn't work for me, especially when the soft keys were in the way. But the main reason why I switched back was because the Moto X was basically CM11 - something I ran two and a a half months ago. Active display was okay, but in reality I missed my notification light and the vibration my Note 3 made when I had a notification as you picked up the phone. Battery life was great I will say, and it got better reception than my Note 3 (Moto always has better radios). The phone was snappy [most] of the time although I did see stutters here and there that shouldn't exist at all (four seconds for an app to actually start to open after tapping the iicon from the aop drawer).

In reality, I had higher hopes for it after everything, but was disappointed..

Pros

• Reception
  • Feels great in the hand
  • Moto Maker

• Stutter in the UI for basic tasks
  • Lack of Micro SD card slot
  • Speaker

PapaSmurf alternatives:

FoxTeam
posted on 16 Jan 2014, 00:38 (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)

Great Phone For Daily Use

FoxTeam has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone really great if you look for a handy phone able to do the daily tasks.

I used to have Samsung S3 but it is nothing compared to this phone, some envy me for having developers edition of this phone.

Anyway the phone is powerful and smooth even with 2 CPU & 2GB ram, you can do all kind of tasks with it smoothly.

I am looking forward for the next generations of Moto X.

Build quality 10/10 Feel great in hand.
Reception 10/10 Reception always great.
Call quality 10/10 Clear speaker and two mics with noise cancellation.
Internet 10/10 Fast and Snappy.
Multimedia 10/10 Can do all multimedia Jobs.
Camera 9/10 Great rear camera after kitkat update. Front camera is great for chatting and video calls.
UI speed 10/10 Very smooth ~
Everyday usage 10/10 Never let me down.
Text input 10/10 I like Google keyboard and swipe function.
Display 10/10 Very clear and sharp indoor and outdoor.
Battery 10/10 Got me covered for the whole day.

Pros

• 4.7 Clear Screen
  • Touchless control
  • Active Notifications
  • Built Quality
  • Extra Motorola features
  • 2 Mics with noise cancellation.
  • UI so smooth.

Cons

FoxTeam alternatives:

bengravunder
posted on 18 Dec 2013, 20:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)

Best phone out there

bengravunder has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The moto X is the best phone I have seen. Touchless control and active display put it on a new level. Sure the specs might not be the greatest for all you geeks but thats what makes it awesome. There is no lag the phone is smooth feels great nothing better out there

Pros

• everthing is great
  • good battery
  • touchless control

TBolt
posted on 15 Dec 2013, 15:24 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Oct 2013)

Great battery life. Great features.

TBolt has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

A phone for power users that anyone else can appreciate. Reviewers criticized this phone as being under-powered, but that just seems ridiculous to me now that I've been using it. The phone handles everything I throw at it, including new games ... all while sipping battery power rather than gulping it like a thirsty athlete. For 2 years, I resisted buying any phone that didn't have a replaceable battery ... until the Moto X arrived. With my average daily use (email, web/news reading, multiple Google Now reminders, several alarms, a few phone calls, at least 45 minutes of navigation, text messages & Hangouts video calls), this phone can easily go over 24 hours before needing a charge.

Let's not forget that this phone's appearance can be customized via motomaker.com. Say goodbye to the days when every smartphone model looks exactly like the other guy's phone.

The on-screen notifications are far more useful than the old blinking lights that every other phone uses. I rarely need to unlock the phone, which would use more battery power, because a quick peek at the latest notifications is enough to satisfy any concern that the notification is urgent.

I LOVE talking to the phone - without unlocking it - to instruct Google Now to find me an answer, start a phone call, start navigation, set an alarm or reminder, or start some other app -- all without even touching the phone.

Best of all, it already has the latest version of Android thanks to an update from Motorola & Verizon Wireless....

Build quality 10/10 Fantastic customization. Solid build. Great screen. Very comfortable to hold. The phone's appearance is customizable when ordering through motomaker.com.
Reception 9/10 I have a working signal even at home, where coverage is usually poor.
Call quality 10/10 The sound is excellent in the earpiece and on speakerphone -- far better than my previous HTC phones & Blackberries.
Internet 10/10 Chrome functions much smoother on the Moto X than it EVER has on my previous Android phones & current Transformer Infinity tablet. This is Chrome the way Google intended. Google Now is excellent and always getting better.
Multimedia 9/10 Sound quality is very good. The device even has a sound equalizer feature built-in with presets to adjust the sound ... no extra app needed.
Camera 8/10 The quality of outdoor shots is good enough for me - I'm not a professional photographer. Motorola has already released one camera update since I've had the phone ... I expect anyone else's camera concerns will be addressed in future updates. The phone takes shots very quickly so I can capture the shot I didn't want to miss. Best of all, I can start the camera with a simple twist of the wrist -- no need to unlock the phone, find the camera icon and wait for the camera to boot up.
UI speed 10/10 Android is pretty much stock on the Moto X; so, there is no overbearing skin running on top of Android. Android is really, really smooth.
Everyday usage 10/10 I can actually count on this phone lasting from sunrise to bed time. None of my other phones offered that kind of longevity.
Text input 9/10 Google Keyboard is good enough for me. I like the swipe feature; however, I use my voice to "write text" most of the time, now -- the Moto X is great at understanding voice input!
Display 9/10 It may not have a full-HD (1080p) screen, but I never needed battery-draining full-HD screen on a phone. The 720p HD screen on the Moto X is satisfying enough for smartphone use.
Battery 10/10 Long battery life is what makes the Moto X the best Android phone out there now.

Pros

• very long battery life
  • useful notifications
  • excellent voice control & response
  • pretty much stock Android
  • great gaming performance
  • Chrome works very well on this phone, unlike all the rest I've used
  • very little bloatware
  • Spotlight Player is an awesome surprise

Cons

• images taken with the camera can be improved
  • Noise cancellation could help Touchless Control a bit better in noisier situations
  • No expandable storage

esp9935
posted on 15 Dec 2013, 10:55 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)

Best phone I've ever owned

esp9935 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Many spec obssessed geeks will miss out on this phone for no good reason. I have Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, and iPhone 5C in my immediate family and I have done extensive comparisons with my Moto X. Despite the dual core 1.7 GHz CPU, the Moto X is CONSIDERABLY smoother and snappier that either the S4 or One, and of course, the 5C as well. It has a better speaker than One, with firmware updates the camera is every bit the equal of the S4, battery life is as good as the S4. The Moto X, in addition to being a very usable, snappy, well built phone, with much better voice call quality than any other flagship phone, it simply has the best features. Active notifications is something I no longer want to live without, and the touchless controls is little different in this regard. Once you've had them, I don't want to go back. It's great to see the most "American" smartphone is also one of if not the best smartphones at the moment.

Pros

• Extremely snappy performance
  • Excellent build quality
  • Great display (yes 720p, no it doesn't matter)
  • Active Notifications
  • Touchless Voice controls
  • Best voice quality and reception out there
  • Great loudspeaker (believe it or not)
  • Near stock Android
  • Ergonomic design

Cons

• No MicoSD slot

dianavazquez
posted on 11 Dec 2013, 00:23 (Posts: 0; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)

great phone!!

dianavazquez has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I'm really happy with it. The display is very sharp, colorful and resistant, it doesn't need a case, it has good performance, notifications are unobtrusive.

I had an iphone and I don't miss it. Android OS is changing for better!

Build quality 10/10 the gorilla glass display is very resistant and it doesn't need a case
Reception 10/10 I haven't had reception problems
Text input 8/10 I don't like the default keyboard so I installed another keyboard software
Display 10/10 beautiful!! like a retina display, great color

Pros

• strong and sharp display
  • active notifications

Cons

• No expandable storage (SD Card)

OmarDrake719
posted on 12 Dec 2013, 13:13 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)

Greatest Phone EVER!!! Beats the f**king Iphone 5S

OmarDrake719 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I will get this phone next month when i get excellent marks on the big test this phone is the greatest phone ever because of his prosesser and the RAM 2GB of the RAM and Dual core 1700Mhz and The Super Amoled display good jesus man!

Pros

• Great Camera
  • Coooooool build quality
  • Awesome Speed Internet
  • Fabulous Display and Multimedia
  • Fantastic Call quality
  • Wonderful Super Amoled Display
  • Super Cool of the RAM and The Prossessor (Dual Core 1700Mhz)

Cons

• JUST the Non Removable Battery and the Storage

Honestcritic
posted on 24 Dec 2013, 01:49 (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)

Great phone!

Honestcritic has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've owned this phone for a couple weeks now. I've owned Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4 before. Now I switched over from a galaxy s4 (some might say i'm crazy) but when I put this phone in my hand for the first time it just felt natural. It belonged with me. I have big hands (I can grip a basketball) and the S4 would still be difficult to handle with one hand at times. This phone it the perfect size! The clean android experience is smooth and feels more natural than the S4's overwhelming clustered feature set.

The active notification and voice recognition is very accurate and useful. It surprises me that more phones do not have this feature. The battery will get a normal user through a day but since I'm a heavy user it doesn't for me. The camera is not too good. The S4 took beautiful pictures. The Moto X's compare more to that of the Nexus 4. The display is gorgeous and vibrant like the S4's which is just how I like it! 720p is just as good when compared to 1080p.

Pros

• Feel amazing in your hand
  • Perfect size
  • Neat access tricks
  • Customizable through motomaker
  • Made in USA
  • Vibrant display

Cons

• Battery could be better
  • Camera is terrible
  • Button placement all on one side
  • Vibrates really loud
  • No SD slot/removable battery
  • No IR blaster

Honestcritic alternatives:

rebretz
posted on 05 Dec 2013, 10:29 (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Dec 2011)

Best Phone I've Ever owned

rebretz has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have used manysmartphones in the last 3 years and the Moto X is by far the best. I've owned or used phones by all th top OEMs and nothing can compare to the Moto X Experience. Just to give an understanding of the phones I've owned. Motorola OG Droid --> LG Revolution --> VZW GNEX --> VZW S3 --> Droid RZR HD --> VZW S4 --> Moto X. I've also had the Droid DNA for a short time.

Build quality 10/10 Solid contruction, feels very sturdy
Reception 10/10 Motorola radios, enough said
Call quality 9/10 Sometimes the audio doesn't come through loud enough.
Internet 10/10 No problems on the web at all
Camera 9/10 For me the camera is good. It's a phone first. Good pictures
UI speed 10/10 Everything loas fast, no lag. X-8 chipset gets the job done
Text input 10/10 Love the keyboard
Display 10/10 The display is top notch. Anyone who can claim to see the pixel-ation should be a superhero
Battery 10/10 Easily get through a whole day without needing a charger. When not at work I can go two days

• Chipset
  • Reception
  • Data Speeds
  • Touchless Controls
  • Comfortable to Hold

Cons

• only 32 GB storage, not expandable

Santos921
posted on 12 Nov 2013, 07:23 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)

It's just f*ing great in every aspect.

Santos921 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I bought this phone aware of the reviews regarding the unsatisfying camera performance, screen DPI and the dual-core chip but I was surprised with these features when the phone arrived. First of all, most of the reviews are written by enthusiasts, who don't know a thing about engineering and judge that every descent smartphone should be packing the latest hardcore CPUs to provide buttery-smooth UX. But no, this phone runs smoother than the S4 or the N4(the only phones I could compare to my Moto X). Also, the screen: 720p is just perfect, you won't need more on a tiny phone display, this is not a 30" TV and you won't be able to distinguish it from a 1080p display. There's also the display quality, disregarding the DPI. It's not a PenTile display like the one on the S4, or a LCD display seen on the N4, N5 or the One. The display brings vivid colors and sharp images. Then there's the camera, it's really not great but it's good, not horrible neither medicore like some reviewers stated.
Now, past the most polemic subjects... The features Motorola's built into this phone are amazing, the Active Display, the Assist app and the voice assistant. The phone knows when you are driving and will send and read SMS, answer and make calls and everything without getting the hands off the wheel. Also I don't think I'll be able to go back to a phone that doesn't have the marvelous Active Display. The battery life is astonishing, the coprocessor thing is great, the phone is ultra comfortable to hold,...

Pros

• Design, back curve, small bezels
  • Extra Motorola features
  • Lightweight UI
  • Smoother than the S4, even with a dual-core chip
  • Front facing camera is great
  • Screen ia sharp, provides great colors, just great overall

Cons

• Lacks SD card slot
  • Not so great camera in some conditions

msiqueira9
posted on 15 Oct 2013, 07:11 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Oct 2013)

Very impressive

msiqueira9 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love technology and cell phones, I have previoulsy owned an Iphone, Atrix, Galaxy S3, Milestone, Xperia ZQ and the Moto X, was a very pleasant surprise. While other manufacteres are focused on Hardware specs, Motorola teamed up with google went back to the basics and delivered a phone with one of the best usabilities if not the best I have seen in the last few years.
The processor it's not the fastest on the market and the camera doesnt have as many pixels as some Nokia phones, but the "X" it's very fast, and the pictures are fine as well. I dont remember being so impressed by a phone like that in a very long time. I absolutelly loved the idea of just holding my phone or taking it out of the pocket for the screen to light up and showed me the time and my notifications without me having to press any button, or just shaking the phone to start up the camera even when the phone is in "sleep" mode.
Another thing that I liked was the shape and grip of the phone, it feets perfectly in my hands, even the place where my indicator holds the back of the phone has a small "hole" in it to accomodate my fingers, very nice touch.

Pros

• usability
  • grip
  • notifications

Cons

• slot for sd card
  • more settings for the camera

TheProfessor
posted on 23 Sep 2013, 12:57 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)

Does Everything You Need

TheProfessor has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I ditched a Samsung Galaxy 3 for this. The Google Moto-X has better battery life and is pure class with specs to match. Looks way better than new iPhone 5S and 5C!
After trying several of the latest and greatest, not only does this look better on paper (specs) but is engineerd to the max. A great phone!

Pros

• Battery life, camera, speaker, design, size

alttrack1
posted on 18 Sep 2013, 16:59 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Sep 2013)

Best Smartphone Ive owned

alttrack1 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I was a long time blackberry user, then switched to the iphone before ultimately purchasing this. I do miss the blackberry sometimes but this phone is amazing. The phone is extremely responsive. The active notifications are very useful and could be compared to the LED light on the blackberry when you have a new massage or text. I am vey impressed with the call quality and reception so far. The battery is very good and gets me through a 12 hour work day with moderate usage, i finish the day with approx. 20 percent battery after that shift. I have it in a speck case right but have just ordered the otterbox commuter case. I would recommend this to anyone in the market for a new smartphone. The phone is also about the same size in your hand as an iphone 5 and fits easily in your pocket.

• screen
  • reception
  • responsiveness
  • size
  • active notifications

Cons

• media layout
  • no SD slot

Commbubba19
posted on 18 Sep 2013, 10:31 (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)

Great android alternative to the IPhone

Commbubba19 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I was dead set on the new Iphone 5s but after holding the Moto X in my hands I had to switch. So far no regrets and I feel this phone will last me for quite some time. Battery life is exceptional and the active notifications are very handy. iOS's notifications were quite useful and this is the best alternative that actually works.

Pros

• 4.7 Screen
  • Curved Back
  • Nearly stock Android OS
  • Intuitive Camera interface
  • Loud speaker
  • Small Form Factor
  • 50gb Google Drive
  • Touchless control
  • Active Notifications

Cons

• Camera Clarify isn't top tier
  • No expandable storage (SD Card)

Buy This Phone