Motorola MOTOZINE ZN5 User Reviews

Phonester
posted on 15 Feb 2011, 19:13

Motorola's Finest

Phonester has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Bottom line this is a strong durable and reliable phone. Takes great pictures which are worth printing out. Thin and nice fits in pockets even with the camera lens there.Dropped many times still great,many people complain about constant turns offs and ons its true but all you have to do is take some electrical tape and wrap around edge so battery is tighter. Only 2 bad things Memory card location and Video quality is well ehh ok. Great music player too nice clarity and loud. Thanks P.S So Durable that i can even play football with this in my pocket.

Pros

• Camera,Music Player,Thin,Xenon Flash
  • Wifi,3.5mm Jack,DURABLE

Cons

• Memory Card Spot,Purple Buttons

Paulina
posted on 06 Aug 2010, 06:54

Great Pictures and Extremely Durable!

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I bought this phone used 8 months ago and I drop it probably 3 times a day and it still works. I climb up shelves all the time at work to put things away and this phone has fallen out of my pocket ( darn tiny/shallow female pant pockets, I'm jealous of the deep pockets men have) from around 10-15 ft above tile flooring and lands face down, "exploding" everywhere (back comes off and battery falls out), and has dings and dents in every corner and it still works perfectly. My little brother steals my phone and chucks it on our tile floor. it's been stepped on. This thing has been through A LOT of abuse and IT STILL WORKS GREAT!! I mean my sister's classmate dropped her new phone 2 feet onto carpet and the screen cracked. This lil guy is amazing. The only problem I have is with charging but I think it's just because my charger is broken. It charges fine with my sister's charger. The person that complained about the battery reading just needs to learn how this phone displays the battery meter. It'll be less bars when you plug it in to charge because that shows how much battery life your phone currently has and when you unplug it it'll add another bar to it because it now has more than the amount previously shown. It'll display full bars but show the correct amount a few seconds later (mine takes 2 seconds) because the phone display starts at full and subtracts accordingly after you unplug it. Just the way it was designed....

• durability
  • sound quality
  • size
  • display
  • design

Cons

• sometimes lags

RishiGuru
posted on 04 Apr 2010, 08:58

Motorola’s MASTERPIECE

Exceptional mobile phone. Actually I consider it to be the Motorola’s MASTERPIECE. Motorola is known to manufacture mobile phones with rock solid built quality using top notch & expensive materials like steel, aluminum, mineral glass rather than glossy plastic commonly used by Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG. This always has been Motorola’s strong point. The ZN5 is no exception either; it is almost built in metal & has a thick scratch resistant mineral glass over the TFT display matrix which is excellent. The assembly quality is truly exceptional. All the parts sit tight, there’s no slightest play between the details. The handset feels like a monolith. The casing frame and the side edges are painted silver. The surface coating sports a very high quality. The back panel uses metal as well, though the lower part is rubber, which is very practical – the scratches and worn spots are kept away. The Motorola ZN5 measure 12mm in thickness, which is a rather nice achievement - it actually puts it in Top 5 of slimmest 5 MP camera phones. The body thickness however increases around the camera area to up to 16mm.The display in ZN5 is way ahead of the European contenders like Nokia & Sony Ericsson. Actually mobile phones which are manufactured in Japan by Japanese companies have exceptional displays & generally are way better than the European counterparts. Just think about top LCD screen manufactures of the world – Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC,etc all reside in...

Pros

• Anything & Everything

Cons

• 1) ZN5 does not support 3G, but have EDGE & WiFi to complement it. So if you are using 3G a lot avoid buying this phone.
  • 2) Video recording is poor. Nokia N82 wins over ZN5 on this aspect hands down. If you want the best 5Mpix mobile phone to shoot still images buy ZN5, but if you want to record videos over still images buy N82.

Sue5
posted on 05 Feb 2010, 17:50

would NOT recommend this phone

We purchased 4 of these phones with a new T-Mobile contract in spring 2009. We had admired the phones, but took the plunge when they had a one-day only online special to get the phones FREE with a 1-year contract.

The pictures on these phones are AWESOME!  However, that was the *only* good thing 4 different users liked about the phones.  I would never recommend this phone to anyone for any reason.

One phone was water damaged, so we have to take that into account.  It did recover, but only after weeks of strange behavior as if we were pushing all the buttons. But at least it started to work again.

Texting on the phones is a pain. Slow & laggy.  Internet connection is VERY slow,  even compared to an older T-Mobile Dash we replaced one of the phones with.  We eventually stopped using the internet on the phones altogether, having tired of waiting upwards of 5 minutes to load a simple webpage.
Battery life was an issue on all the phones. It would show a full battery, then a few minutes later we'd be down to one out of three bars.  When we plugged the phone in, the battery indicator might show 2 bars of life left, then as soon as we unplugged it it would show the battery as full; if we plugged it in again right away, it showed low battery again.  Very quirky and unreliable, and we noticed the same thing on all 3 of the phones we kept.

After a few months, the camera just stopped working on the phone we took...

Pros

• Excellent photo quality

Cons

• Camera stops working, battery issues, much lag for texting and internet. (see full review)

Rishiguru
posted on 12 Dec 2009, 05:34

Motorola's MASTERPIECE : MotoZine ZN5

Exceptional mobile phone. Actually I consider it to be the Motorola’s MASTERPIECE. Motorola is known to manufacture mobile phones with rock solid built quality using top notch & expensive materials like steel, aluminum, mineral glass rather than glossy plastic commonly used by Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG. The ZN5 is no exception either; it is almost built in metal & has a thick mineral glass over the TFT display matrix which is excellent. The set looks a feels like a monolith.
Actually a very famous website www.smape.com did a durability test on ZN5 and in one of their tests they rode over the ZN5 lying in the road on a Honda CRV weighing 2.5 tones. The ZN5 passed with flying colors. Only the mineral glass cover over the display was broken but the mobile phone operated normally receiving calls, playing music etc.
The display in ZN5 is way ahead of the European contenders like Nokia & Sony Ericsson. Actually mobile phones which are manufactured in Japan by Japanese companies have exceptional displays & generally are way better than the European counterparts. Just think about top LCD screen manufactures of the world – Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC,etc all reside in Japan. Whereas European mobile phone manufactures use TFT displays manufactured by local European companies, Motorola uses TFT display manufactured by Sharp Corporation of Japan.
The phone is all about the camera and it does not disappoint on that ground. Believe me, it is currently the BEST 5 MP...

Pros

• Best Motorola phone EVER !

Cons

• No 3G

Alex P.
posted on 10 Dec 2009, 23:11

2.3

Do not get this phone!

My brother has had this phone for a while now, my friend had his phone but quickly switched. The screen is VERY fragile and both of theirs have cracked. The phone randomly turns on and off on its own and you must be careful when you put it down or it will restart itself. The phone lags and doesnt have any great features.

Pros

• pictures

Cons

• phone lags
  • very sensitive
  • randomly turns off
  • buttons WAY too close and not sensitive

ambersunshine
posted on 27 Sep 2009, 13:19

Buy a Real Camera

Basically, the only reason I bought the phone in the first place was because of the 5 megapixel camera, and it ended up being the only thing I liked about the whole phone. I had a lot of problems with it lagging and it would also turn on and off by itself and do other annoying things like open the camera screen without me touching the button or opening the lens. And the end call button stopped working after a few months use. PLUS, the thing is really big and made an awful bulge in the pockets it did fit in, and wouldn't fit in most. The calender was also extremely unorganized and when an alarm was set to go off a day before an event, and I clicked to view the event, it always opened up the wrong day and I had to reopen the calender to see what it was reminding me of. I would not advise anyone to purchase this phone and after the year of annoyance I've put up with, I would not advise the purchase of any motorolla phones, in my opinion this one was poorly made.

Pros

• large display screen
  • good camera
  • came with pretty themes and backgrounds
  • holds music

Cons

• HUGE pictures
  • screen lagged
  • unorganized organizer
  • too large to carry in pocket
  • powering on and off randomly

Bobby Jackson
posted on 16 Jul 2009, 15:58

greatest phone to get ever

if you like to take a lot of pictures, use wifi a lot or like to recieve messages and emails, then this is the perfect phone for anyone.

Pros

• 5 megapixel camera
  • big screen
  • fast
  • stylish
  • sexy
  • and great internet and messaging

Cons

• bulge is sometimes a bother
  • some buttons to close to each other

Robert Zeigler
posted on 01 Jul 2009, 23:47

Its a nice phone and takes excellent pictures. I Had this phone for two weeks and returned it because it keeps turning off and coming back on by its self. I had a full charge on the phone and got an inportant phone call. When I picked the phone up, it turned off and came back on. I lost my call and I didn't know who called me but luckly he called me back. This can't happen in my line of business so I had to let it go. Trash it!

Pros

• Excellent pictures
  • Nice Design and Features
  • Love the radio and music player

Cons

• Phone Keeps turning off and come back on!

moosecall45
posted on 23 Mar 2009, 17:24

Lovely camera phone, Motorola stepping it up,

The motozine zn5 is what motorola has been needing for a long time coming. This phone is not perfect but addresses alot of the issues that plagued previous motorola phone. The Camera is phenominal however it lacks certain manual features like shutter control. The web browsing is nice but downloading third party apps is a no no un less approved. the 3.5 jack works wonders. It is a feature rich phone, having a mp3 media player limited video playback. the video recording on the camera could have been increased, as well as the xenon flash power control. the keypad is nice beeing all flat looks to be long lasting.

the main issue i see is Tmobile and all the blocks they put on a phone which could have been loads better.
i have had this phone since the beginning of january 09

Pros

• Camera quality / features
  • full html browser
  • media play back
  • 3.5mm head jack
  • mineralized screen cover prevents scratches even if you try
  • sturdy metal construction
  • sdhc acceptable

Cons

• mem. card location
  • tmobile limitations
  • no 3g
  • flash can be a tad bit powerful
  • having to index files
  • too many texts cause lag

Charlie
posted on 18 Mar 2009, 17:31 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)

I've ZINE this thing before...

Sorry, I just had to. Anyways, about the phone: It's great for everything, but texting and taking pictures; the two things I look for in a phone. Boy, did I make the wrong choice. It was my first domestic-available phone in a long time (after my N95-1, N96-3...), and it ties with the N96. Way worse than the N95, though. Wi-Fi only works for uploading pictures and internet, but that's only if you have a data plan. Bought it new for $40, sold it for over $200. Buy it when it's free on a two-year (new contract), and sell it!

Pros

• Great design,
  • good camera features (panorama),
  • xenon is excellent,
  • color choice is the best,
  • and Linux is a breeze (no bugs, doesn't freeze).

Cons

• Camera is sub-par, but better than the Behold and Memoir,
  • keypad is way too small and flat,
  • Wi-Fi is very limited,
  • and lock key is a pain to use.
  • Plus, the phone scratches if you look at it wrong. It's that fragile.

William Palmer
posted on 05 Feb 2009, 01:02

Motozine ZN5

I bought this phone the day it became available, because of the camera feature. It absolutely takes the best pictures of any cellphone I have ever owned, The phone quality is also very good. The problem with the phone is the software to operate the WiFi feature is available at the presant time, and T-Moble doesn't know if or when it will be available from Motorola. Which makes the WiFi feature unavailable for this phone. If it is not an issue it is a really quality purchase

Pros

• Excellent camera
  • User friendly features
  • size

Cons

• slow in changing between functions
  • no WiFi availability even though advertised
  • flimsey case

James McDonald
posted on 31 Dec 2008, 01:37

Camera & Phone in one.

I want to first say this device is not perfect, but it is nice. I waited for a few months for T-Mobile to release this device and from day one that I got to see it to now I have been pleased overall. The camera is great! It rivals my Sony DSC-W50 6 megapixel digital camera even! For example, if I take photos at a certain event with both my digital camera and the Motorola Zine ZN5, and put them all in one folder, I can't tell them apart! Talking on it as a phone works nicely, it posses a nice call quality and it slips in my pocket easily. I find the phone to be pretty easy to use which is one major factor of to why it was purchased. I have had it randomly restart on me about once or twice for unknown reasons, something I never encountered with previous Motorola products. The WiFi on this device does work and the browser gives me the basics. Wikipedia.org does not work, but youtube.com, facebook, MySpace, and Dictionary.com work nicely. The T9 in text messaging is quick to adapt to your language and works nicely as a text messaging device. Email works only part of the time. I don't know if this is T-Mobile, Yahoo!, or the phone's fault, but it is an annoyance. The PDA functionality of the device is rather basic but it does offer syncing with Microsoft Outlook, though I have never taken advantage of that. I find that Motorola phone Tools is cumbersome to use unfortuneately. I like the device overall though, so I am quite satisfied!

Pros

• 5 Megapixel Kodak-branded Camera that takes awesome shots
  • Nifty Paneramic feature
  • Ease of Use
  • Texting T9
  • Style
  • WiFi Browsing
  • Some PDA Functionality
  • Vibrant Screen
  • 3.5 Mm Headphone jack

Cons

• Web Browser only Provides Access to certain Websites.
  • Micro SD Card is only accessible once removing the battery.
  • Gets laggy when inbox & outbox contain around 350+ messages.

Jade
posted on 09 Nov 2008, 11:17

AWSOME!!!

I LOVE this phone, it does everything and has everything it even TALKS to you and reads your text messages if you want it to! Has GREAT camera and does video better then my camcorder. The screen is the clearest I ever seen, has a radio and you can preset 24 stations and it also has a MP3 player that rocks! The battery seem pretty good andI have been playing with it non stop, it takes a little getting used to the buttons and to locate everything but so far it is worth the price....I already took photos and printed a 8x10 which is flawless and you can even connect this to your TV so watch the videos you record which can be up to 2 hrs or connect to computer and download or upload, there is so much this phone does that I can not even tell you....the only thing is I am afraid I'mgoing to drop it and break it..So far this is the best phone I have ever had, even the signal strengthis strong. Comes with everything you need USB cable, TV connect cable, micro memory card and adapter so you can download to printer or computer without phone, Motorola tools CD, headphones that sound good the list goes on, I ported over from Cricket so yes people I was in the dark ages and now I'm free!

• video
  • sounds great
  • screen is great
  • MP3
  • radio
  • features
  • phone can read everything to you if you want

Cons

• bigger then flip phone
  • may break or crack if you drop it
  • memory card location is behind battery cover