Motorola Hint QA30 User Reviews

Build quality5.7/10

Kat
posted on 27 Jan 2011, 19:45

This phone sucks

Kat has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is horrible. The buttons are tiny and hard to push...and I don't have very big fingers. It randomly drops my calls even when I have full reception. The battery is horrible. The first one had to be returned within 3 weeks because the metal part in the charging port for the battery broke and came out so it would not charge. When I got the replacement it would randomly shut off and eventually the charging port has gone bad on it. I have to have it plugged in a certain way to get it to charge. Also there are times the background light stays on when its being charged and the battery drains instantly. Cute, but bad phone.

Build quality 3/10 Durability is okay
Reception 3/10 Okay but would drop calls even when I had full reception
Call quality 2/10 randomly drops calls
Camera 1/10 camera sucks
Text input 2/10 buttons are tiny and too close together
Display 3/10 probably the only good thing about it
Battery 1/10 The battery is horrible...doesn't hold a charge and the port to plug it in broke on both phones. It needs to be plugged in just right to charge.

Pros

• large screen

Cons

• poor battery life
  • buttons too small

Alyssaaa=P
posted on 08 Jan 2011, 22:17

Uhmm... Well I

Alyssaaa=P has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I HAD this phone for MAYBE 6 months. The slider sucked, Scratches/chips very easily (If you ride four wheelers don't take this with you on them falls out of pocket and is lost very easily) Square, Kinda big (I don't like very big phones & those who also don't like them your cool(=.) However on the four wheeler I found it, but it still doesn't work very well I absolutely hate the keyboard buttons it took me like three months to text OK on them before that I would mess up my texts very badly.
On the other hand this phone is quite durable I ran it over with my four wheeler, which is a 450, when I found it none of the buttons had broken mostly just scratches & chips. very GOOD battery which I didn't have with my last two phones. Especially the phone I have right now which is just a loner..

Build quality 4/10 The buttons are really sucky.
Reception 6/10 I would loose people in some areas, but for the most part it was alright.
Call quality 9/10 It was great
Internet 1/10 Didn't come with internet =/
UI speed 1/10 Uhmm wtf is "UI Speed"?????!
Text input 3/10 I HATE the buttons. !
Display 9/10 Did NOT like that the Icons were over the wallpaper it just seemed "idiotic" to me.

Pros

• Calling
  • Incoming text speed
  • BATTERY!!

Cons

• Build quality

Moto_Lover
posted on 20 Oct 2010, 15:54

Love My Motorola Hint

Moto_Lover has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Since my contract renewal at U.S. Cellular i have went through three phones. I started with the LG Rhythm which i loved (kept for 9 months) then the Motorola RAZR2 VE20 (it was a good phone but too slow and difficult for texting for me) and then the LG Mytsique (this phone is the reason i will never buy another LG again almost EVERYTHING that could go wrong with a phone happened to this one) and then i bought the Motorola Hint QA30. I love this phone and everything about it. I like how it looks and i always keep it clean by cleaning it every day with lysol wipes or something. The keyboard takes about two days to get used to and i can text really fast on it. The Music player is GREAT and the speakers sound AWESOME!! It gets full signal in places my lg mystique said no service. my texts never come in late. this thing is just perfect i love it! People even tell me how cool and nice it looks. The only problem i have had was random shutdowns and i got the battery replaced and it hasn't done it since. I do not want to get a different phone because i love this one so much, and us cellular does not have anything that can replace it. I have had it for about 3 months (it is two years old but only used a few days before i bought it and then put back in the box) so it looks brand new) My next phone will be a motorola if i ever have to get another one. I would get a Motorola RAZR V3M even though they are old they are awesome still!

Build quality 10/10 very durable and sturdy and i like how it feels.
Reception 10/10 always has signal in places my lg mystique did not
Everyday usage 10/10 its in use by me all day
Text input 10/10 i can type very fast on this phone
Display 10/10 nice display
Battery 10/10 lasts a long time

Pros

• Everything about it

Cons

• Nothing

Moto_Lover alternatives:

Courtney
posted on 17 Sep 2010, 09:57

Horrible Phone

At first I really like this phone and it did very well for about a month.  But after a while the volume buttons stopped working and my music player wouldn't load.  I got the phone replaced and my second phone did horribly.  If I barely touched it it would turn off and would refused to turn back on, even after I removed and replaced the battery.  I got that phone replaced also and the third phone did okay for about 3 months.  But it soon started doing the same things the others did.  It got to the point where this phone was making me so angry I wanted to throw it away.  Finally I got yet another one just like it and it broke in the same ways also.  I am now stuck using my old razr v3 until I can afford to buy another phone.

Pros

• It did have a very good camera.

Cons

• Pretty much everything else.

Teresa
posted on 21 May 2010, 21:26

love

I bought this phone for my birthday this year in January, I was replacing a motorola razr2 V9(which was a horrible phone) I bought the hint because my friend had it and he replaces windows so I know that he was rough with it. I drop my phone very often and it stays intact very well. The battery stays charged very well. The pictures the phone takes are clear also. I love how the background is able to change images. The sound is amazing and the Internet works very well. The keys are something to get used to but I adapted very nicely to them. All together I am IN LOVE with this phone.

Zac4084
posted on 01 Mar 2010, 19:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Mar 2010)

Motorola Hint Review

I loved this phone when I got it. First of all, they took it down, and had to go get one rom another place in the mall. Put on the battery cover, half wouldn't stay on, I had to cut a piece off so it would fit, I heard about this problem a lot, the cover is so flimsy, its made out of plastic and its as thick as a piece of straw.It has lots of features though.

Pros

• Many features, nice camera, great for textures, keys are really small.

Cons

• Battery cover is very bad.

emmalou1227
posted on 28 Feb 2010, 10:43

I don't understand why so many people are thrilled with this phone. Yes it surfs the web, and texts. When I click certain buttons while I try to get on the web, it will shut off. It shuts off randomly too. Sometimes I can't make calls or send text messages so I have to restart it. When I'm texting and go to push "P" the "O" gets typed as well. The buttons are all wearing and I haven't had it very long. I can't wait for my contract to expire!

jtatex
posted on 17 Jan 2010, 01:07

Pretty dog gone good phone

This is one of the best phones I've ever had.  The best was the Blackberry Pearl Flip.  But for what it is, this phone is right on.  Text, web surfing and music.  A little thick for my taste but a low profile slider.  I have had absolutely no problems with it at all.  I read all the negative reviews but after picking up a demo and fiddling with it I made up my mind to buy it.  Attached to Cricket and works wonders, good pictures and good video.  Motorola makes some of the best cellphones out there and this one is a keeper.  I think a lot of the freeze ups were the earlier models and Motorola seems to have all the bugs worked out now.  But a word to the wise, check out a demo before you buy to make sure this is what you want.

Pros

• Low profile, easy to carry in a pocket, good sound both calls and music, quality pictures and video, nice keyboard.

Cons

• Small keys, no flash for camera/video.

WillTell
posted on 21 Dec 2009, 21:40

Best phone I have ever had

This is by far the best phone I have ever had. I drop things a lot. No worries this phone can take it. I sometimes has shut off when dropped about 5 foot. Do ya think this may be a good thing. It does turn back on right away. It is a good phone as are all moto phones. I wanted a touch screen phone but let my wife talk me into this phone, she recently ran off with our preacher, thank God. The next phone will be a touch screen by Motorola, I believe this will do for now. Keys are too small for my big fingers. The camera is awesome I took some great pics of my wife before she left with the Reverend, Guess they were too explicit or maybe it was the nude videos.

Pros

• Superb Pics and Videos, texts great,clear sound, less dropped calls rugged construction a retarded person could use this phone, long battery life, compact style

Cons

• small keys, diffacult for visual pearsons, not for the blind.

anomisis
posted on 06 Dec 2009, 14:42

its cool BUT anoying

ok so i dident want to get this phone but my grandma said i had to get it this phone is cute BUT i hate how thick it is and the heys are so small i hate how the menu is all over the home screen like that it bugs and this phone is anyoing cus it does freeze and u can be txtn and all of a sudden it wont let u send anything so if you have a cover you have to take it off then take the back off then take  the battery out and then put it back in then you have to turn it back on then do what you gotta do it takes forever to load and delete stuff like txt messages it is very loud and has a good vibration it isent to loud and you can feel it... ok enoughh with puting this device down its good with you dropping it alot i have dents in my phone and stuff and it still runs the way it did when i first got the thing so thats a goody HATE the way the pictures show its a wast of my time having to zoom every time i want to c thee whole thing the battery life is amaning i hate alot of things about this phone but ladys and guys if you like to put your phone in your pocket dont get it its way way to thick and anoying ppl dont want to c a big square in your pants...

Pros

• cute, afordible, good for dropping alot, sound

Cons

• thickness, camera, keypad, menu, anoying

Krys
posted on 04 Dec 2009, 09:40

2.7

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

This is the absolute WORST PHONE I have every owned! Before I hit you with all the reason why I will give you the SINGLE positive thing about this phone....the CAMERA!
     This phone was designed by someone who does not USE a cell phone for anything other than talking and taking pictures…..Why because if you try to use all the features you are going to be VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Pros

• Camera takes nice pictures.

Cons

• Freezes & shuts off when texting & new message comes also @ random.
  • Alarm set for 5:45am went off @ midnight then froze up, couldn't shut off, had to remove battery.
  • The key guard lock allows answer key to work without sliding the phone up first! Rigorous steps after every call/text needed to actually PASSWORD LOCK, UGH!
  • Don’t call a business & try to dial a last name in the phone directory, as no intelligence programmed to know A should be 2. Bigger joke, try to call 1-800-BAD-PHON.

Hailey
posted on 30 Nov 2009, 01:05

I hated it at first...

I couldn't stand this phone at first. They keys were so small, the design was all over annoying to look at, and the front menu was a wierd. I hated it! I was so used to my LG Rumor, I didn't want anything to do with this phone. But after about three days I found out the camera has AMAZING quality. I also loved how you could edit the photos..ON THE PHONE! After a while, the texting got easier. and I loved how short it was becasue it fit in my pocket perfectly and didnt stick out of the top. And not to mention, the messaging folders! This thing can hold so many messages, I love it! Unfortunetly, I don't have a service plan for it anymore. But I still keep it as an amazing little camera just becasue the quality beats any other phone I've ever had; and the editing. I love this little guy so much! The only problem I had was it froze up sometimes and I had to take out the battery. And at first, the battey back was a pain to get on, But I got used to it.

Pros

• Holds up to being dropped. Amazing camera. Awesome editing. Holds a lot of texts. Fits in my small pockets easily. Puts up with average everyday teenage ware and tear.

Cons

• Buttons are kind of small. Freezes up sometimes. Back is hard to get on.

Willson3
posted on 19 Nov 2009, 16:34

So disappointed

After my Razor died, I was so excited about the Hint.  I had really enjoyed Motorola's product and I couldn't wait to get the new Hint to use the qwerty and the new upgrades. I have been sorely disappointed.  I have had to return the phone 3 times with the same randomly shutting itself down and unlocking the keys issues.  I received a "new" one in hopes that I had just gotten a "bad" one. Well the "new" one randomly stops recording videos and shuts down, and its having some sort of issue with the text messaging.  It seems almost as if it doesn't have enough memory or just plain  "umph" to get things done.  I would not recommend this product at all.. Please save yourself the frustration and disappointment, and pick something else..

Pros

• has a qwerty

Cons

• Randomly shuts off, unlocks locked keys, stops video and shuts off, text messaging issues,and A and P are hard to use on the qwerty.

moto_hater101
posted on 22 Sep 2009, 09:17

dont like it!!!!!

i absolutely hate this phone! it always turns off when ever i barley touch it. the lights turn off when ever i press the r and f buttons. i think that no one should get this phone... instead get the lg bliss its sooo much better!

Pros

• good design with keyboard
  • like the sounds
  • musicplayer rocks!

Cons

• hate it hate it

Alan
posted on 16 Sep 2009, 18:43

Update to a Previous Review

This is an update to the review titled "Awesome phone with a few quirks"I have found the solution to the shutting off issue!Open the phone up, place two pieces of paper around the LONG sides of the battery, put the battery back in place, and voila: the phone won't shut off when you set it down. I have actually dropped it standing up from a chair, and it didn't shut off. the issue was the battery compartment being too large for the battery, and the slightest nudge made it lose connection with the contacts for a nano second, either making the phone shut off, or restart itself.I now love this phone. I'm still getting comments about how cool it is, even meeting new people over it. Who knew?

Pros

• The paper has helped, and the phone no longer shuts off
  • The music player is awesome, I've had some time to play around with it

Cons

• Still the issue with the dust
  • The phone is sometimes very slow

Ohkillerofphones
posted on 20 Aug 2009, 22:47

amazingamazingamazing

so. ive had a bumpy ride phone wise. at first i had a rumour with uscellular and then it died and i was just like ok just replace it they said this phone sometimes had issues ill deal with it, so i got my second one and that died so i got a banter and a week later that one died and they wouldlnt replace it because it was such an awful phone so then i got this one and it shut itsself off 36 times in 2 hours after we did this update they told us to do, then i got a samsung gloss which they told me wouldnt die under any circumstances i brought it back not even half a week later and i REALLY wanted another hint because i was so taken with the phone the first time i had it, and the problem with the first batch was a small programming error so for those of you who it keeps shutting off on, go back to the store and they can probably give you a new one for free because that one is on its way to a death.. but any who ive had the phone again for over 2 weeks and not a single problem.. except it gets bogged down and is slow sometimes but ive realized that if i shut it off for a few minutes every night its fine all day.

Pros

• amazing menu setup
  • you can really keep track of the buttons with that little ridge
  • conversation style text messaging
  • shortcuts on the main screen
  • when you go above 160 characters on the text it turns it into a MMS
  • handles media better than any phone ive had
  • wonderful reception

Cons

• awkward camera positioning
  • awkward picture sizes
  • you need small skinny pictures for your background if your gonna see it
  • the battery cover is hard to get back on
  • theres no outer micro sd slot only an inner one

Justin Sauls
posted on 10 Aug 2009, 12:16

This was and is still the best phone i have ever had...although it goes a little slow sometimes...it is still smooth with a very good keyboard.I am very impressed with the camera.I recommend this to anyone looking for a mix of mp3 players and incredibly smooth phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros

• Good Camera,smooth running,long lasting battery,mp3 player,easy to txt on,email

Cons

• has a bad place for the micro sd card,takes to long to get to bluetooth

Alan
posted on 03 Aug 2009, 13:56

Awesome Phone with Quirks

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have had a Moto SLVR L7c for three years. I loved the phone, and didn't want to trade it in until I found something equally amazing. I saw the Hint on US Cellular's site and decided it was time to make the switch.
I've had the Hint for a week now, and so far it's been pretty decent. The comments I get from how unique it looks is at least a conversation starter. I like how Google SMS is incorporated into the system, I always forgot the codes to look up different things.
At first I thought the keyboard was too small, but after a couple days, I got the feel for how to use it, and it's been fine ever since.
My three complaints:
1) The phone will shut itself off/restart itself when you set it down too hard. I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I set it down so it doesn’t restart/shut off. A possible solution...

Pros

• Unique design
  • Google SMS incorporated into the phone
  • Not a brick like other smart phones
  • One touch speakerphone is nice for California Drivers

Cons

• Phone shuts off when you set it down a little firmly
  • Phone has shut off when I slid it open to answer a call
  • Huge opening at the top of the screen that allows dust to collect under the screen.
  • Not very customizable
  • Camera Location is not very user-friendly

random
posted on 02 Aug 2009, 18:39

Perfect SizeRuns Opera Mini very well and a 2.5 inch screen. What more do you need?Good batt life/clear talk

Pros

• 1.EVDO RevA
  • 2.QWRTY
  • 3.2.5 inch screen

Cons

• 1.Keys take abit to get use to
  • 2.Can not hack it up like old moto phones

Jason Vajgrt
posted on 31 Jul 2009, 11:14

Good phone, a little problematic, but not as bad as I've had

Ok, let me start by saying this much, this is the third, yes THIRD phone I've had on this round of contract renewals with US Cellular. I started off by getting the samsung two-step. Horriffic phone that one, too quiet, miserably pitiful predictive text (who eats breakfart? really?) and would shut itself off for no reason, in the middle of typing a text.
Then I got the LG Banter, a damn good phone for the price. Horrible phone, it solved only the loudness issue, and of course predictive text is out the window with a full keyboard! That one had so many problems, that even US Cellular waived the 30 day period for returns. So we got the Hint.
Good news being that I haven't had but a scant few problems. It does turn itself off occasionally, but it will do it when it's supposed to, like if it has a software hang in the middle of sending a text...that's only happened once. Sometimes it just randomly reboots itself though for reasons I don't know. But who cares. It's a good phone, and I like it, it does everything needed, it has email, even though its not Blackberry style, who gives a crap? It works! Plus I can take advantage of the EVDO network in the area, and its nice! Both of the phones before this didn't do that.
However, the battery life is nowhere near advertised, I get maybe three days of real world usage with texting and calls and internet usage when I'm not at home. The keyboard is horribly small, especially bad for a guy like myself with freakin chewbacca thumbs.
The performance...

Pros

• Great service, good coverage, excellent display. Camera, camcorder, email and music player features are good.

Cons

• Battery life not as listed, small keys, and for some reason the "C" key needs to be pressed long or harder to get it to register, navigation in the camera, camcorder, and email areas could be easier. Camera and camcorder don't shut off after use to send MMS message.

wa1034
posted on 28 Jul 2009, 15:32

Motorola hint

My previous phone was the lg scoop and it is a average phone compared to the the hint. I agree with the other reviews that say the motorola hint is a smart phone without the plan. I use the u prepaid with alltel $1 a day, so unfortunately i couldn't get a smart phone, but this is the closest thing to it. I was comparing it to my brothers blackberry and it does all the same things, its just not as fast and i really don't have a problem with it. The only con i've found is it is harder and slower to type with than my lg scoop because the keys are closer together and smaller. You do get used to it after a while though. To me the hint looks way better in person than it does in pictures. It has a good 2.0 megapixel camera and alot of cool functions to use on the phone. It has way better reception than my scoop and i reccommend it to anyone who wants a phone to for basic use, but with alot of extra features.

Pros

• Good reception,Cool features, Good 2.0 megapixel camera, Loud volume, Smart phone without the expensive cost

Cons

• Tiny keys

J.F.M
posted on 25 Jul 2009, 09:27

Great Phone Not to be compared with a Smart Phone

I have had the motorola hint for almost 8 months now and I think its a great phone. The only problem I have had is that sometimes it won't send a text if I leave the phone on for a couple of weeks at a time. All you have to do to fix this problem is simply turn your phone off then back on. As for any of the other problems other people have had, I haven't had any of them. I'm a little rough on a phone. I drop it constantly and even let my 1 year old play with it cause she likes the music player. It's durable and the options are very easy to access. You don't have to even slide the phone open unless you are going to use the keyboard. All of your most commonly used options can be put on the front screen and accessed with the front buttons. As for battery life, the 16 day standby time is BS. I have yet to find a phone that has the battery life advertised. The battery is pretty good on this phone though. Sometimes I don't charge it for 2 or 3 days. It really depends on how much you use it. It's a great phone that I would recommend to anyone. Not to be compared with I-Phones. If you want a smart phone, get a smart phone.

Pros

• Easy option access. Lock button to keep you from accessing things accidentally. Large clear screen. Almost every options you can get with smart phone without getting a smart phone plan. Phone has a large memory even without adding a memory card. To me pros outweigh the cons.

Cons

• Does take a little long to delete messages. Smart phone options are not as quick as on a smart phone but remember, this is not a smart phone. May be some I haven't noticed or came across but I have had it for 8 months.

Mad Phone user
posted on 14 Jul 2009, 13:00

THIS PHONE SUCKS

Okay so i'm a teenager wich means i want the coolest bestest phone.
I thought thats what i had...apparently not!
After about a month of using the phone the charger stoped working. The phone would also turn itself off randomly. The camera would also stop working for no apparent reason!
So i took it in and they sent me a replacment one...it worked fine till last week...it also stop charging and if i did charge it would stay for very long. Now it wont read my memory card...i had everything on it and now i can listen to my music or look at my pictures

THIS PHONE IS A P.O.S!!!

DONT BUY IT!

Skunk 13
posted on 02 Jul 2009, 10:35

Power Issue

To everyone who is having the power issue, I have found it is a minor issue in batter design that causes this.  My wife has the phone and loves it, but started having this issue.  I was pissed, and we xps'd the phone and still came back.  I found that if I folded a piece of paper and placed it under the battery cover on top of the batter and put the cover back on it solved it.  The phone would previously randomly shut down if set down or know or from heavy jarring of fast texting.  The problem is gone.  I hope this helps some users.  it is a great phone with a minor flaw in battery design it seems.

Pros

• Smartphone feature with out need a smart plan. I can even get exchange mail to the phone, by have my Network admin turn on IMAP4 on my exchange account, I just cant' get my calender.

Cons

• power cycling till I fixed it.

bobby001849
posted on 01 Jul 2009, 23:14

motorola hint blows

the thing is garbage dont by it it suckes it shuts off wont charge and delayed on everything