Motorola Evoke QA4 User Reviews

bishop
posted on 11 Sep 2009, 16:41

Liked it but had to return it

I bought this phone, didn't talk on it because I wanted to be sure I liked it before my 30 minute return limit was up.  Good thing,  They claim it does e-mail but if you have e-mail on any .net  carrier it doesn't work.  Only on .com so it doesn't support the biggest carriers here like comcast  ATT or bellsouth.net.  I guess you have to have some freebee e-mail to work.   The YouTube worked fine, I didn't have a problem with the full query texting key board but who 's goin to pay and extra $15.00 a month for e-mail and webb that won't work.  MIne never froze up either but the battery seemed to drain quickly while I was on the phone for 6 days talking to every tech support foreigner that Cricket had and nobody could make it work.  What's worse, they charged me a restocking fee to return a phone that didn't do the features they advertised and I was out of service for 6 days while they tried to figure out the problem.  OH, yea, Cricket corporate told me they'd talk to the Motorola rep and let me know what they found out before I returned it.  No return calls of course!!

Pros

• Loved the phone if it would do e-mail

Cons

• good idea, didn't work!

Tiffany
posted on 11 Sep 2009, 12:42

Evoke is Ajoke

I just got my Motorola Evoke QA4 yesterday, September 10, 2009, and I have had so many glitches on this phone that it isn’t funny! I’ll turn my phone sideways to activate the QWERTY touch screen and when I’m finished with my message and I go to tap the green check mark to send, it freezes up and I’ll push the main button that’ll take you to your app’s and somehow the main screen with be tied up with my text message that I tried to send. THey’re both froze together and then I have to take that battery out and put it back in and turn the power back on and wait 2-3 minutes for it to surface. I do love this little phone, but it had WAY too may glitches and I’m considering returing it just for that matter. No one wants a phone that doesn’t work correctly, right?

Pros

• Touch screen
  • small and sleek
  • regular dial pad

Cons

• Freezes up TOO many times
  • Turns off and on when ever it feels like it
  • No screen savers or wallpaper choices
  • No SD card
  • It looks like it has app's, but it's the same tools that are on every other phone so don't be suprised!
  • Did I say that it freezes up WAY too much???

leevygahgah
posted on 08 Aug 2009, 01:46 (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Aug 2009)

I love it. :D

Most people have been saying this phone sucks, but I love it! I've had mine for about two months now and I've been using it constantly. It's only froze about, twice. The texting it great, sometimes it'll press a letter  didn't press, but that's no bother. And the web browsing is amazingly fast! Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one. :) Haha, but I love it. I hardly ever use the keypad. Unless I'm dialing to someone I don't have saved. But overall, this phone is amazing!

Pros

• Pretty much everything.

Cons

• It can sometimes freeze.

boomotoevoke
posted on 07 Aug 2009, 20:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Aug 2009)

Not as "cool" as you may think

This Phones is a pain in the ***. its too small to be a touch screen, if you txt a lot this is NOT the phone for you-- i spend a lot of time re-writing my messages due to the touch not being accurate. Tends to freeze, no mms--- for it to be a touch screen phone it's other features are extremely basic, looks like a cool phone but dont waste your money on it cause it's functions arent as "cool" as you may think.

Pros

• touch screen

Cons

• touch screen is'nt accurate
  • very basic
  • NO mms
  • freezes
  • cant add customized ringtones on it

aychelsay
posted on 03 Aug 2009, 21:09

1.3

HUNK OF JUNK

I gave up my blackberrry for this thing. It is rediculous. There is NO good thing about it, at all. It freezes, sucky battery, just shuts off for no reason. I know your thinking its a defective phone, but i've went thru 2 of them in one week. its not worth it, at all. don't waste your time.

Pros

• Semi-small

Cons

• un resposive screen
  • freezing
  • cuts off
  • not a good battery life
  • slide is loose in ALL of them

12nwcollins
posted on 03 Aug 2009, 20:59 (Posts: 2; Member since: 14 Mar 2009)

Motorola Evoke

I have had this phone for about 2 1/2 months now. It is a decent phone. I was very excited when I first got the phone. I upgraded from the Motorola Hint, and I do miss the physical full QWERTY. The virtual full QWERTY on this phone is extremely innacurate, especially if you have large fingers. There is a youtube application preloaded, but the phone does not support youtube videos. The camera is decent, but the Motorola Hint's camera was better. In my opinion, there needs to be a calibration option for the screen, because most of the time the screen is completely innacurate. I hardly ever use to web browser. Even when I have full service the browser is extremely slow, barely useable. It has bluetooth, but does not support file transfers. I pay an extra fee on my bill so I can send MMS, but this phone does not support picture or video messages either. Despite all of these cons, it has been one of my favorite phones, but I miss my Hint.

Pros

• Touch Screen
  • Keypad
  • e-mail
  • physical lock

Cons

• Youtube app doesn't work
  • Hardly anything is customizeable
  • SLOW data
  • No Bluetooth File Transfer
  • No MMS
  • Innacurate screen

William
posted on 03 Aug 2009, 18:58

Evokes Pleasure and Pain

This phone did excite  me when i first learn of it's arrival.   After purchasing, I can say I'm pretty much pleased with it's overall performance.  There are times when some applications run way to slow for me and my expectations are severly challenged. Especially when I experience a phone freeze......uuugggghhh!
  Most of the time the phone responses well and I am Happy.  Please continue to improve on the builds and services and you will have a winner!

Pros

• Nice looks and compact design. Good apps layout. text conversation fully displayed

Cons

• sometimes apps too slow, sometimes phone freezes.

jayyblackheart
posted on 24 Jul 2009, 02:20 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jul 2009)

I wish people a stop Hating & Bitching.

I've had my evoke since tuesday,and i'ma say first hand this phone is pretty good,Surely like alot of people say it does'nt have MMS,but at the same time.Theres alot of work arounds if you wanna get your pictures and media to someone else you may know.The phone is kinda slow somewhat,But hey,people you keep forgetting,Its not a Godly phone that could be comparible to a IPhone or HTC touch,its a basic touch screen per say.Most of the features on this phone you wont even find on most TouchScreens or normal phones.The internet is pretty great,Myspace,youtube,rss feeds,along with the weather widget loads up pretty well for a 3g since this is my first time being on it.Then to find out if you own a laptop you can flip the phone to be use a a modem,so i would assume you could use the 3g connection to grant a connection.Now how many phones from cricket or attel let youdo that?The design is pretty lovely,only thing i could honestly say that kinda tripped me out is that you cannot use a stylus of any kind for it.Even if the sensitivity is set to high it still wont go.Picsa is kinda a joke to me,but at the same time,you could upload your pictures to your email address if you a myspace user you could still create you a email for your myspace and have your pictures uploaded from the phone which is pretty quick.Being able to put your own ringtones on from a laptop itself just drag and drop is always a plus for me,lets face it people,We do not wanna just go on myxertones and just find something...

Pros

• Fast Internet
  • Stable OS
  • Gmail/Hotmail Intergrated
  • Good Picture Quality
  • Nice Design

Cons

• Os Is a lil slow sometimes
  • Picasa Could OF Been Kept
  • Speaker Could Be A Little Louder

Scott Strang
posted on 18 Jul 2009, 03:00

I HATE this phone.....

..and here's why.   It is by far the most sluggish, incredibly frustrating phone I've ever had.   The reason I bought was due to my Z6 Rokr faceplate falling off.   I loved that phone otherwise.   I was able to import mp3's and use them as ringtones all without using Phone Tools.  I was able to edit a song down to a few seconds using Cool Edit Pro 2 and import the file into the Z6.   Can I do this with the QA4?   Not hardly.   Why did Motorola choose not to support the QA4 in Phone Tools including all updates so far?    It's the only way to make custom ringtones.
Then there's the speed of the device.   It never responds quickly then when it does respond it has "stacked" every command you may have tried to get it to respond.   It will then execute them one after another.
The touch screen is a joke.   It will run a command that I did not instigate.    And why the hell does the screen lock after placing a call.
I'm telling you I've really had to hold myself back from throwing this phone against a brick wall.   I may do just that before it's over.

I've played with I-Phones before and they have NONE of these issues.    If Apple can make a phone that works well surely Motorola can.

If you want frustration and have to exercise self control then buy this phone.

Pros

• Nice Package and layout.

Cons

• Everything else.

Sherryluv
posted on 13 Jul 2009, 01:23

2.7

Run, not walk away from this Phone

All the things from prior reviews is absolutely the truth.  Here's my take:
 Before I start with the bad, I'll give credit for the good. The speaker and clarity features that are a given on Motorola phones is still there, as well as outstanding screen quality. The threaded text messaging is very nice and I enjoy the newsfeeds. However, for everything that is good, there is even more that is bad. Speed dial should be a given on any numeric keypad phone. Voice dial does not work well at all, and typing part of the name brings up everything but what one is looking for. Speed dial was a key feature for me as I often need to make a quick call to family while driving and 'one key' and bluetooth allowed me to keep my eyes on the road. The ability to sideload personal ringers for contacts (my own created) was also a needed feature as I am not always near the phone and it allowed me the discretion of choosing whether to answer right away, or give a call back later. If I want ringers now, I must pay for each one and not get the ones I want or need. I would gladly trade my you tube access for features such as these. This phone is being promoted as the touch screen for the "average Joe"; it's everything but. The most important features have been omitted. I have been reading through many threads and noticing how customers are hoping for improvement. Replies have been aimed at "future smartphones". Well I say, what about those of us that just dropped over 300 dollars for this...

• Nice Sound on Ringtones
  • Threaded Text Messaging
  • Bluetooth Stereo
  • Nice look
  • Bundled with usb cord

Cons

• No speed dial
  • No MMS
  • Overpriced
  • No Calendar Backup
  • Incompatible with Motorola Phone Tools
  • No ability to use personal Ringtones from card for Contact Ringers
  • Less Features that Prior Motorola Models
  • Increases monthly service charge $15 for Cricket Users

Kaylas
posted on 09 Jul 2009, 23:54

YES AND NO

I like this phone... then again i HATE it. You cant send or recieve pictures... yet it has a camera??? I dont understand that. It has good sound and my internet is pretty fast... but thats about it. I should have NEVER bought this phone.

Pros

• It has a mp3 player and plays videos

Cons

• It cant send or receive pictures

Paul B. Houston, TX.
posted on 02 Jul 2009, 12:33

Dont be fooled by the description

I waited and waited for this phone to be released and finally bought the it a few days ago.  The description made this phone to be an iphone competitor.  I got it home I was shocked at the garbage that Cricket sold me!!  It is suppossed to be 3G internet, which I paid an extra $15 upfront and its recurring charge, and it doesn't even work most of the time.  The applications it has such as youtube (doesn't work), accuweather(doesn't work), and picasa (the only way to share photos.  I called Cricket atleast 10 times about this and everytime they said...we have to refresh your settings.   About the non working apps...youtube for one...isnt even supported by the phone.  Why waste the money on their programming of the phone and my money and it doesnt even work.  When I am lucky enough to get an internet connection, it is soooo slow and freezes after a few pages.  I later called Motorola about this and they said it doesn't support these features and there are no plans for a software flash.
Now...about using the phone as a phone.  The volume really sucks and most everyone I talk to on it, can barely hear me.  Texting is a real pain because of it being so sensitive.  You will find you hit the delete key to correct mistakes more than actual texting.  Forget sending photos.  Oh...and the phone is advertised about the 5.5 hours of battery life.  Yeah right!!  I understand using the camera, internet(when...

Pros

• Nice camera/camcorder...decent MP3 player

Cons

• Everything about it!!

djclos
posted on 30 Jun 2009, 14:47

might as well buy an i phone!

I got to admit I did anticipate this phone for a long time, but now that I own it it really has limited me from doing what I used to do on my previous phone. I am very disappointed that you cant aven send mms msgs and that its not even a true web phone. Why the heck does cricketr make us pay for web browsing every month. this phones best feature is probably just the touch screen but thats it! boy did cricket set its self back with this phone! dont buy it its not worth it! guess ill go to the i phone now!

Pros

• youtube

Cons

• no flash player not true web phone no mms games suck mp3 player not the greatest and bulky a key pad flimsy no head phone jack

Hailey Gordon
posted on 27 May 2009, 07:24

Student

AWESOME...This phone rocks. IPHONE forgot how important taking piking picks and video...not to mention being able the ability to share it my my girlfriends. Can't wait to use some of the mind blowing apps.Thanks for finally making this available who do not necessarily sit behind a desk conducting business all day...I like my fun to be as fun as flexible as my friends and I are...I guess yiu can say business with pleasure. THIS PHONE CAN DO IT ALL....)

Pros

• Pics and Video

Cons

• Still just a little big and the screen is a little sensitive when it is in your pocket (Butt dialing)....:(
  • Alll in all thre really and no drawbacks to the phone. I LOVE IT.