Motorola DROID User Reviews

Camera7.2/10

TomG
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 21:57

Awesome Phone

I would like to say this phone is a work or art. I was surprised that Motorola created such an amazing phone!
I've been with Verizon for about 3 years now and I must say their phones used to suck. I would see my other friends with their phones (on other carriers) and be envious of all the neat features they had.
Now all my friends are envious of me because the droid is so far above everything else.
Now I do not own an iphone but i do own and ipod touch. Which is about the equivalent of an iphone without the calling features. I also have used my friends iphones and I must say I enjoy my droid MUCH more than the iphone.
I like the keyboard (even if crammed) and it is a very fast and responsive phone. Yes it doesn't have 100,000 apps to choose from but 10,000 is a lot and the android community is growing fast. This phone is just something you have to see in person. The screen is also spectacular. I feel the things being displayed on it are popping out at me its so high res!

Now yes the battery does get drained down because of all the apps being ran in the background but.. there's an app to make your battery last long.
Also the virtual keyboard may be a tad crammed but there's an app to make it bigger.
Basically if you don't enjoy it, there's most likely an app to fix it.
Thats why android is so great.

Honestly go try this phone. You wont be disappointed. I cant put the thing down.
Also...

Pros

• Super Fast
  • Awesome Applications
  • Very Nice Screen
  • Largest Network Support
  • Good call clarity
  • Nice speaker, can go very loud and not distort
  • Way to many positive things..

Cons

• Battery runs down if lots of things are running
  • Physical keyboard could be a little more tactile and spaced out
  • Besides that I love it!

skeeter42488
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 21:45

another droid and still exsperiencing bugs

13. My droid has a lot of bugs
Yesterday by skeeter42488

73.3%7.3out of 10

Well I'm not sure if everyone is experiencing some small bugs when it comes to the operating of the droid. Some of the things I have been noticing have been:

1. My ringer volume stays low even though it says it all the way up

2. I won't have any other programs running, I'll just be using one application or even just in my texting screen and the phone will freeze and make me force quit the program.

3. I called a friend and they said they could barely hear me when I was talking normally with the earpeice to my ear. I switched to speakerphone and then they could hear me loud and clear.

Those are main three bug's I'm experiencing, they all seem to be fixed if I restart the phone, but they also reoccur. I have had the phone since Friday and have seen bugs everyday.

I am hoping I just have a lemon which is why I am going to Verizon today and getting a replacment. I really do love this phone but coming from a LG dare which never really gave me any trouble, this phone is kind of making me wonder whether all this technology is worth it.

IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICES ANY BUGS ON THEIR DROID PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Alex Skiff
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 18:12

another "clone" iPhone killer

Guys, let's be serious, the phone is suck: No copy and past command, stupid keyboard, ugly media player and terrible photo preview and the most disappointment the phone doesn't support tethering. What a heck: supposed to be the best phone on the market and doesn't have such a simple features as tethering, oh and the best part it doesn't support hebrew language. screw this phone!
If you are going to travel you CAN'T take this phone with you. bullshit!
verizon the best service???!! just spoke with them and they said that in my end they heard some voice interruption???!

I would wait another year for the second update where they will add such important features as copy and past or tethering!

by the way that voice recognition is seems great but on the other end it couldn't recognized simple words and on my opinion I wouldn't use that feature for more than 2 times a week and just for fun!

Pros

• blazing speed
  • great navigation, but luck of speed limit
  • possibly will be the best phone in about year or two, still iPhone is the BEST! lol

Cons

• NO COPY AND PAST COMMAND
  • NO TETHERING SUPPORT (??!!)
  • NO HEBREW LANGUAGE RECOGNITION FOR WEB SITE AS WELL
  • UGLY MEDIA PLAYER, PHOTO PREVIEW AND VIDEO
  • BAD BATTERY LIFE
  • BULKY WITH STUPID KEYBOARD

DroidDroidDroid
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 13:34

Good but not too good...

Switching from the WinMo to Droid is a painful experience. The Droid indeed is a very powerful device, but it's not so much for Business use. Yes, the phone is heavy! The physical keyboard is good, but the d-pad kills it. Since the whole keyboard is shifted to the left, my left thumb has a hard time hitting the "a". There is no copy and paste, no task or note pad. Also, not being able to see the actual upcoming appointments agenda is very annoying.

The battery life is not as good, I have to charge it everyday even I wasn't playing on it too much.

Also, the 4 buttons in the bottom are very sensitive. When taking a pic, my right thumb always hit the "search" key. There isn't much space to hold on when using the camera.

One of my favorite online radio station use Window Media Player or Real Play as their streaming channel, I was able to play them using my old WinMo device, but the Droid, the file is not supported. Help, anybody?

Also, bluetooth cannot activate voice dialing.  You have to run that through the phone itself. (Kind of dangerous when you're on the road.)

Sorry to say, I am ready to switch back to WinMo...

Again, it's a good phone, but not as good...

Pros

• It's a Droid. Many possibilities with all the apps...

Cons

• Battery life is suck.
  • Photo quality is not as good.
  • Not so much for business.

phonatik
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 10:44

Droid mania!

With out a doubt droid is the os people will start following.  YOu just can't denied it anymore that Android is for real and big things will happen in 2010.  Droid and google did a hell of a great job with this phone.  It might not have all the applications that the iphone has but have enough to hold our own!  Many more will come soon!

Pros

• This phone is a beast! in a good way of course. Super touch responisive, 5 mega pix camera, google navigation

Cons

• Cero

vitaliygizer@hotmail.com
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 08:36

Awesome Phone Defently Buy It

Hello, this phone is just awesome, so far i dont find anything wrong with it, well maybe that my back cover kind of slides easy, other then that there really isnt anything else. Keyboard is awesome as well as the unscreen keyboard, and the fact that you can change the onscreen keyboard is just off the hook.

Pros

• Awesome Reception
  • Awesome battery
  • Awesome Keyboard
  • Awesome Web Experience
  • Awesome Speed

Cons

• Back Battery Cover Slides Off Easy
  • i think thats it lol

droidboii2010
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 22:14

Best phone so far

Im going to start by saying that some people make stupid reviews like complaning about the way they sell the phone, the way you have to pay for insurance or stuff like that, wow its just funny.. its a PHONE REVIEW!!!Its an amazing phone!!!  provides 3 home screens u can costumize with any widget or shortcut..Beautiful 5.0 camara  with dvd quality playback.provides google maps with a built in turn by turn GPS. ( Anyone that has another android phone you can share ur location)AppS apps apps apps free free free free...A lot of appsNice touch screen..  ts really out there like the iphone except the multi touch.Open source phone..u can do anything..

Pros

• Everything!!!

Cons

• no multi touch but who cares!!! its still nice

penetrode
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 21:37

awesome 1st try

Good foot in the right direction for Motorola.  The only complaint I have is the keyboard and the chin.  In my opinion, either get it right or don't include a qwerty all together.I just talked to a college friend of mine that works for google ca, and he confirmed that there is a KEYBOARDLESS version of the DROID with a faster processor currently going through the paces in the GOOGLE labs right now.

Pros

• awesome design, sexy edges
  • very good build quality and materials
  • screen 10/10
  • android 2.0
  • replaceable battery

Cons

• keyboard
  • ugly chin/lip

MeMyselfI
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 17:14

Holy COW

Anybody that has ever walked into a Verizon store wishing they carried iPhones NOW has their answer. This is it. Get the apple bias out of your head and check this phone out. It will BLOW YOUR MIND! WOW!

Some of the apps on this thing are just out of this world! I seriously can't put this phone down. I'm addicted!

HECKYA
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 17:11

Amazing!

I can't believe it took Verizon so long to come out with a phone like this! and it runs on the BEST network out there! The internet is fricken LIGHTNING fast! (and so are downloads! seriously, blink your eyes twice and the app has downloaded!) AMAZING is all I can say!

Pros

Cons

• nothing

Yoyoyoyoyoyo
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 17:08

AWESOMENESSSSSS

I am a HUGE apple fan....... HUGE. I have an apple desktop and a laptop. I never had the iphone but people in my family had it and i played with it a lot. It was ok. I wasn't all the impressed with it so I stuck with my Blackberry (I'm a crackberry addict). BUT.... after playin with the Droid I am converted......... I love my blackberry, will always love blackberry, but I'm jumping ship to the Droid. WOW what a phone! And it TOTALLY blows my mom and brothers iphones out of the water!!!! I can't believe how much you can customize on this thing! Not to mention my favorite app so far: Google Sky Maps! (Hold the phone up at night and Google Sky Maps shows you what the sky looks like and tells you what constellations you are looking at! You can even search for a constellation or planet and the app will tell you where to point your phone and where to look for it!!! IT is the COOOOLEST app I've ever seen!)

I have NO problem finding an app for my needs. And the majority of apps I'm looking for are FREE! I can't wait to see what other kinds of apps become available for androids in the future! this is just he beginning! DROID!

Pros

• BIG screen
  • keyboard
  • lightning fast
  • browser is the fastest i've ever seen!
  • customizable
  • removable battery!
  • open development! (No restrictions!)
  • fast touch screen

Cons

• a little bulky and boxy
  • no HDMI hookup (LOL, this is just a joke! there really isn't much I can find that is negative so I had to really be comical about that one!)

sfstan
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 16:13

lacking bluetooth hands free call ability

Pros

Cons

• unfortunately, i have just found out that you cannot make a call through a bluetooth device hands free with the droid. you have to go to the screen of the droid and use the voice dial, say the number, and then click on the number or name that shows up on the screen. this is horrible. how could google let that slip by. you can answer an incoming call with the bluetooth device, but not make a hands free call. really, really bad. this is a danger and should be fixed immediately by google.

liz
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 14:16

Finally

I am one of the many die hard Verizon purists that has dealt with the crumby technology all these years for the far superior reception and coverage.  We all hoped that someday we would get our redemption...Droid is our redemption.  My iphone friends are even jealous *gasp*.  The screen is beautiful, the design is a little masculine but strangely sexy...the sound quality will blow you away.  I'm sure that soon droids will have more apps then apple but I can't see why you would need them.  I was able to find anything and everything I could possibly want or need very easily.Amazing experience so far...I'm sure there are bugs to be found but that's the risk you take with new technology.  I am very happy that my Verizon loyalty has paid off ($100 for this amazing beast after my NE2!!!)

• Widgets
  • Running Multiple apps
  • Sound Quality
  • Google Maps Nav
  • Notification Bar

Cons

• Doesn't do dishes

LDBrown
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 12:47

Finally, Verizon gets a great handset

I finally got my Droid, and unlike many Verizon handsets, it did not disappoint. I previously had the Samsung i760 and short periods with the first Storm and Omnia, as well as recently the Imagio before exchanging it for the Droid. The Droid is handsdown, my favorite handset I've used to date. There is no lag when switching between homescreens, programs, and apps. The keyboard is very responsive and dexterious, and although i was skeptical at first, I'm quite fond on the flat keys. The screen is remarkably clear and the touch interface is amazingly accurate, although muti-touch would have been a nice addition to the already amazing interface. The contacts allow for complete details and quick access and making it accessable from the FREE google navigation was brilliiant. The data transfer is lighning fast, and even compared to my short time with the HTC Imagio, the Droid is in a league of its own. The email program is much more friendly than other devices and switching between accounts is much more readily available than Winmo 6.5 or earlier. I also was able to get my hands on the multimedia dock station, and although another output would be nice, the station is excellent for a bedside dock and alarm for those of us who live my our phones. Thus far, my only real complaint is the questionable camera that appears to struggle when focusing and snapping shots. I think it may be a complication that will be remedied with software updates because the 5mp camera with dual-LED flash is...

Pros

• Touch Interface, speakerphone, accelerometer, contacts program, keyboard, call quality, dial-pad and in call options, data speeeed!!

skeeter42488
posted on 08 Nov 2009, 11:09

My droid has a lot of bugs

Well I'm not sure if everyone is experiencing some small bugs when it comes to the operating of the droid.  Some of the things I have been noticing have been:

1.  My ringer volume stays low even though it says it all the way up

3. I called a friend and they said they could barely hear me when I was talking normally with the earpeice to my ear.  I switched to speakerphone and then they could hear me loud and clear.

Those are main three bug's I'm experiencing, they all seem to be fixed if I restart the phone, but they also reoccur.  I have had the phone since Friday and have seen bugs everyday.

I am hoping I just have a lemon which is why I am going to Verizon today and getting a replacment.  I really do love this phone but coming from a LG dare which never really gave me any trouble, this phone is kind of making me wonder whether all this technology is worth it.

IF ANYONE ELSE NOTICES ANY BUGS ON THEIR DROID PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

posted on 07 Nov 2009, 23:12

So far I love this phone in every way but one thing. This phone connects very easily to my cars bluetooth, but when using the hands free the person on the other end can't hear me, and to me it sounds like they have the worst reception and i can't understand them. What could it be? I checked the hands frre on my wifes van and it's fine.

Pros

Cons

• Can't use the hands free in my car.

Nick10
posted on 07 Nov 2009, 15:21

Definitely a step in the right direction for Big Red

I'd just like to start this quick review by saying how much I've hated Verizon in the past for dwindling down successful smartphones to nothing. This is where it all changes. I tested the phone for 2 hours at the Verizon store and this is what I've come to:

The Moto Droid is by far a top 3 Verizon phone right off the bat. The touch screen looks and feels brilliant. The capacitative touch is definitely the top on the market today. I couldn't tell any difference between its functionality and that of Droid Eris or iPhone; they're all top of the line.

The new Google Maps: Nav (Beta) App made specifically for the Droid by Google is wonderful. It's very quick to load screens, routes, and yes, even the on road image of the places you will be going. It's pretty much Google Maps for your PC, and includes turn by turn directions from a variety of different male of female voices. Goodbye external GPS, this phone does it all.

The interface is also very easily customizable, the Android market has plenty of apps (many great free ones), and the service is all that you could ask for.

Text messaging/emailing shouldn't be a problem either. The touch keyboard  was more than enough for me. The word prediction seems to work very well, it only took me about 10 minutes to adjust and text just as fast as I can on my LG Dare that I've had for over a year. The physical keyboard is also great, the keys are fairly big and there is enough room between the top row and the bottom of the screen for...

Pros

• More than enough apps
  • screen couldn't be better
  • keyboard on screen is great
  • physical keyboard is almost perfect
  • interchangeable batteries
  • Browsing is great

Cons

• Bulk
  • no multitouch

posted on 07 Nov 2009, 00:37

AWESOME PHONE

OBVIOUSLY..post number 10...said he only had it for 2 minutes..but obviously was browsing his web on his phone for atleast 30 minutes.WOW

But anyways..the phone overall is AMAZZING. like no lie...this phone is UNBELIEVABLE. i never thought that google will come out insanely awesome with this phone. Im glad i didnt sign up for ATT. I don't regret leaving VZW.

Pros

• everything is awesome

Cons

• everything is awesome...im sure there will be bugs here and there...but wat is ever perfect?

Bob Johnson
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 22:39

It is what it is!

Let me say this I have I Phone 3g and 3gs. I kept them as media players for me and my wife. I could not afford to keep two services and have been with Verizon sice they were Air-Touch. So I paid the etf and bit the bullet. Was so surprised that Verizon came out with this Phone. I want to tell you what I think from my personal experience.   The phone part of this phone is much better than I phones. It is so clear good as any phone I have ever used.The screen is so beautiful and the video I have seen is just great. Better than my I Phones. I am so glad they didn't build this phone like I Phone it's looks are its own and I personally love them.  Now let me tell you about the browser it is super. The first Verizon phone i can use and feel like I wasn't being cheated. Fast and clear. Lack of pinching is not a problem for me I love it as is. Even with out flash it still plays video's that my Omnia would not. I have tried many Verizon Phones but this is first to really make me feel it is a true match for I Phone.I had touch Pro 2 also no comparasion. I phone does have better App store but you have to remember that is has had a much longer time than Google. Apple has had at least 3 updates to get each Iphone to working. I have loaded 3 on 3gs. Give this phone 3 and I know it will be even better than it is. So let me say what it is? It is the best phone smart or dumb I have ever used.  PS. I almost forgot the navagation it is super every bit as good...

Pros

• Looks
  • Browser
  • Phone
  • Navagation

Cons

• Not that have bothered me

gdjsnyder
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 20:13 (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 Nov 2009)

Amazing phone, but maybe not entirely the best.

As an iPhone user of almost two years now I must say jumping ship to this phone was a tough decision, but as videos poured out the past two weeks, I knew I must have this phone. And I am more than happy with leaving my 3GS behind for this phone- I think this phone tops the iPhone.The first thing I am THRILLED about is interchangeable batteries. My 3GS would last, maybe ten hours if I was lucky, and Apple kept telling me how to have it replaced- be without a phone for two weeks. Now I am in the safety net of knowing I will not have to be without a phone. The second thing that blew me away was the speed of the phone. I knew the browser was going to be fast, but when I saw speeds faster than my 3GS I was astounded. The downfall of this though is that some websites (mainly my college web log-in) will not render on the phone, but the browser is still amazing.I thought about the App Store for Apple having 93,000 apps and Android Market only having 12,000 and I thought that would be a drastic difference, but all of the apps I downloaded today were what I needed and wanted, not a single App I wanted wasn't there.Google maps is pure brilliance in its beta form, I can not wait for the final version because it really is astounding, as is Android 2.0.The downfalls of the phone lie in the multi-touch surface, or should I say lack of multi-touch surface. Browsing is much harder now without pinch and zoom, and even though typing is good without lag, I still type too fast for the keyboard...

Pros

• Super fast web browsing
  • Android 2.0
  • Call clarity
  • Screen resolution

Cons

• Weight of phone
  • No multi-touch
  • Lock/Power Off button very inaccessible
  • Notification bar very skinny

Danthedroidman
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 18:45

BUY THIS PHONE

Felt a little silly waking up early because Verizon had plenty of staff and phones on hand, but man is this thing worth it.

I had been debating jumping verizon's ship for almost 5 months, so I have had a long time to play with the iphone and long for it like a teenage girl. But let me tell you I have been playing with the droid all day, showing it off to people, and they all say it's better than the iphone. I know the reasons why (just watch the commercials) but from the layman's point of view, this is big.

From a phone geek's point of view, it's responsive, the battery has gone down halfway after CONSTANT use for about 6 hours. The calls sound great, the screen is amazing; if you want a great phone on a network that WORKS, then get this phone.

Pros

• Beautiful Screen
  • Fast data
  • call quality
  • solid build but thin footprint
  • physical keys are extremely handy

Cons

• no HDMI out...i mean come on, nothing's wrong so I gotta reach

redman
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 15:45 (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 May 2008)

I've been abducted by an Alien and am loving it...

Just picked up the Droid from Best Buy over my lunch break (replacing my HTC XV6900 - Touch), I did the pre-order just in case, but they actually had a few on hand, which surprised me.  I was a little bummed because I signed up for my pre-order at Best Buy thinking Verizon would not have any in stock when I got off of work to pick one up today, but then Big Red had to go and open stores early... oh well, at least I didn't have to send in a rebate going with Best Buy!  Got it for $199.00 instantly, but they weren't sure I should get even more off from my new every two discount, I'll call Big Red about that later.

The phone feels awesome, extremely durable feel, a bit heavy, the screen is amazing, and I even like the keyboard (already typed out a few messages and searched the web with ease).  Over the past month I have been moving all my e-mail accounts to consolidate through Gmail (like hotmail, yahoo), and did an import from outlook of my 4,400 contact records.  So when the phone asked me to sign in to my Gmail account, it started pulling down all my contacts and e-mail automatically, and in about 20 minutes I had all my 4,400 contacts on my phone ready to go.  Then I entered the info for my works Microsoft exchange and now all of my work e-mails are coming to my phone, just as simple as pie.  I am astounded, I did not believe getting up and running could be this easy.  The touch screen is great, very responsive, but...

Pros

• functionality, speed, voice search, google integration, maps, real keyboard that feels good (at least to me), screen resolution and brightness is amazing

Cons

• a little heavy, no multi-touch in the general OS operation but the on-screen keyboard is soo responsive it doesn't bother me,

kman
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 13:35

Way better then the touch pro 2 and Iphone 3Gs.... Amazing features overall its the best phone on Verizon right now! Very easy to customize and download apps from the app store. Very responsive! Browser is a lot faster then any other Verizon phone

Pros

• widgets
  • app store
  • call quality is very clear even with 1 bar of service
  • Browser is amazing
  • everything else!

Cons

• none so far

KK
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 12:19

My favorite phone!!!!!

This is the best phone ive ever used! Switched from iphone 3g to this after i tried it at bestbuy. ITS AWESOME. Best web browser and by far better qwerty then iphone. Its fast as hell! Complicated at first but you get used to it. It is smaller then the 3g and i love it.

Mikaaa
posted on 06 Nov 2009, 12:10

BEST PHONE!

I've had the phone for a short time but its the best. Ive used 3g and 3gs and this is MUCH better. Ive been waiting for this for a long time and im very happy. It may be complicated at first but i already know where everything is and ive gotten use to it within 10 - 15 minutes. ITS AWESOME!

Buy This Phone