Motorola DROID User Reviews

UI speed7.2/10

hiiiiwhat
posted on 30 Nov 2009, 17:53

its good ok shut up

i have had so many verizon phones, i have also had iphone 3g and 3gs, this beats all trust me, im so tired of reading people who are posting reviews for this phone that dont own it! like in the below comment its obviously a jealous g1 owner, and so many iphone owners posting bad reviews just because they are mad. if your phones are so good. then why are you worried about lowering the ratings on this phone? i think its jealousy, sucks to be u all that down own the phone and are jealous

Pros

• screen
  • keyboard
  • threaded texting
  • everthing

jimbo the awsome stud
posted on 26 Nov 2009, 12:18

boy oh boy this thing blows my old gitterbug phone away

great phone after switching from gitterbug phone it took some time to get used to it but now all i can say is wow we i love this darn thing,  so if ya wana be cool like jimbo you sould pic one of these bad boys up the chicks love em and it also has alot of cool apes

Pros

• looks cool helps jimbo pic up hot chicks,cool

Cons

• jimbo has nothing bad to say

tmobile's g1 beter
posted on 26 Nov 2009, 08:44

horrible

this phone should not be getting this much attention the g1 for tmoible is beter then this phone by a long shot the physical keyboard is alot beter then this and same with the touch screen the only thing that this has is the camra but thats it. it took a while for verizone to actully get andorid. the service with verizone sucks slow and its to much money.

Pros

• camra and andriod

Cons

• everything ells

posted on 23 Nov 2009, 11:18

Plenty of upside.

First of all, I have to say that I have had a history with repairing VZW products, as I used to work for them as a contractor. My point-of-view based on an experience with Android phones as both user and a developer. I will say that Motorola used to have a history of making sub-par hardware. That being said, I feel that this is a major step in the right direction. The phone has some weight to it and feels very sturdy. Additionally, the screen is very responsive and is beautiful. I fell that this is best android phone since the G1/Dream was released. The hardware interface works well for its purpose. However, I feel the keyboard is a little too flush and I would have liked it to have been a little more spaced out between keys. The addition of a 5mp camera with a FLASH (learn something HTC) produces quality video and pictures. The pictures were not quite as good as my old 5mp point and shoot camera. However, this is a camera on a phone and if you want it to produce professional level pictures than you are buying a phone for the wrong reasons. I am also glad that they decided to fork out the cash to get a 3.5mm headphone jack, as it is the major downfall of the G1/Dream. If the consumer is constantly having to buy converters, as no one can make a quality cable that last more than 6 months, then you are going to have an argument to not return to that manufacture’s hardware. Motorola's decision to go dual processor (one for data, one...

Pros

• Android 2.0
  • 5MP camera w/ FLASH
  • Sturdy hardware
  • Responsive and beautiful touch screen
  • Multitasking without constantly resetting the phone (I'm looking at you windows)

Cons

• Weak battery life ( as with all smart phones)
  • No Multi-touch in browser ( will be resolved shortly)
  • Keyboard is a bit too flush and keys are a bit too close for larger fingers.

posted on 22 Nov 2009, 15:18

Everything about this phone is great. For a 15 year old it has good beneifts. I know what people are thinking why does a 15 year old has a business phone? Well I actually got it for my present. I myself is very hardworking and is in a club in High School known as FBLA. I ALWAYS get updates and invited from my club. It also makes me aware of event and conferences at school. ITS very handy. I love it a lot. THE QWERTY KEBOARD IS GREAT FOR A BIG HANDED GUY LIKE ME. YOU adapt to it.

Pros

• love it

Cons

• Touchscreen needs an update. Camera issues will be resolved

posted on 19 Nov 2009, 18:51

Its Great...Better than great...The Best

Best phone on the best NETWORK... what else is there to sya... oh wait i can brag a little bit...Let me know when your phone can handle more than one browser at a time and is a beast at multi-tasking...  This phone is ablank canvas that allows you to totally customize it the way you need it to be.....

Pros

• Everything about the phone is great

Cons

• No cons... your just an idiot if you don't like it

posted on 19 Nov 2009, 15:58

Best Phone I've Ever Used

OK... So apparently some people (people that gave ratings of 1) lack the intelligence to properly understand and operate this device.  I'm thinking that some of them don't even own a Droid... scared iPhone fanboys?

Anyway, back to the phone.

As the title says, this is the best phone I've ever used.  It has great call quality.  It handles multi-tasking well.   I am able to connect to the SSH server setup at home and tunnel an RDP connection through it.  It handles this flawlessly.

Images on the display are crisp and clear.  This phone does everything I want it to.   Except for some reason, Google Wave says that its browser isn't supported... at least not yet.

One other great thing is the voice search.  After telling the phone what you want it will find local matches for your search and you give you the options of calling, navigating to, or showing the location on the google maps.

The camera did initially have issues focusing, however it seems to have corrected itself for now.  Both the picture and video quality are very good.

Although the phone setup isn't as straight forward as say the iPhone, it didn't take very long to get use to the UI and be able to easily find what you're looking for.

The thing that most people complain about is the keyboard.  It definitely takes some getting use to, but after using it for nearly two weeks it has become increasingly easy to tell where your fingers are and the number of unintentional...

Pros

• Large, Vibrant, and Clear Display
  • Hardware Keyboard
  • Loud speaker is very loud
  • Google Maps Navigation (with street view!!!)
  • Very Nice Browser (Full flash support coming in 2010)

Cons

• No native pinch to zoom (it is supported in some applications and on the European version...so maybe some day)

stevers
posted on 19 Nov 2009, 09:41

hahahhaa

2nd PROBLEM is that the phone DOESN'T SUPPORT TETHERING
5th PROBLEM - YOU CANNOT SYNC THIS PHONE WITH APPLE Computers
7th PROBLEM - THE BACK COVER is ALWAYS FELL OUT (VERY ANNOYING)
8th PROBLEM - BiG Auto-focus problem (but sometimes)
9th PROBLEM - Phone provider does not accept international SMS??!!!
10th PROBLEM - BATTERY LIFE - NOT EVEN A DAY!??!
11th PROBLEM -  NO MULTI TOUCH SUPPORT
12TH PROBLEM - very simple and basic MUSIC/VIDEO/PHOTO interface
13TH PROBLEM - STILL NO ADOBE FLASH SUPPORT

oh god i hate people let me demolish you on all of these ridiculous points you brought up.
1. the phone is not glitchy at all. i never had one hang up or major bug yet with my blackberry every hour reset.
2. THE PHONE WILL SUPPORT TETHERING YOU IDIOT
3. The phone does properly copy and paste you just paste into the passsword box, it is security reasoning,
4. yeah um you double tap to zoom unless your using the built in email then you can...

• keyboard options
  • camera (sometimes iffy but)
  • light by the charger port just shows the detail in this phone
  • thin
  • the all black with goldish accents
  • apps are good getting to be better
  • WEB BROWSER IS AWESOME

Cons

• keyboard is a little hard to use but youll get use to it trust me
  • volume button on side is loose it doesnt fit with the rest of the phone build quality.
  • vibrates a little to loud sometimes

Newton122189
posted on 18 Nov 2009, 12:03

What's the deal with all the 1 ratings....

So what is the deal with all of the 1 ratings?  I understand not liking the phone but is it really a 1?  Is the phone honestly the worst phone you have ever used, I mean I can understand a 5 or 6 or even a 4, but seriously a 1?  I mean in order to deserve a 1 the phone would have to not do anything, and it does A LOT.  Sorry for the rant but the people that rate it a 1 really piss me off.

Ok, so I own this phone and aside from a couple issues like the battery cover being loose and the bluetooth difficulties I have had there are almost no issues.  The browser is lightening, and I mean lightening.  Its the fastest I have ever seen on a mobile device, on Wifi its as fast as a decent PC.  The camera, when working, is great, there are some known issues with the camera software but it is being fixed and all issues with the camera will be fixed on the Dec 11 update.  The multimedia is bare and there is no desktop software to help put music on the phone but if you are going to have a high end piece of TECHNOLOGY, then I except you to be tech savvy or at least technologically inclined.  People asking, How do i put music on this phone obviously know nothing about computers or SD cards.  The display  IS the best on the market, its hi res and i havent heard one complaint.  The operating system is smooth, I have heard some complaints but they obviously have duds cuz its fast, smooth, sharp and all around good. ...

Pros

• hi res display
  • incredible browser
  • responsive touch screen
  • good call quality
  • very connected phone (gmail, calender, etc.)
  • sturdy design, solid build

Cons

• loose battery cover (can be resolved & also not every phone)
  • some bluetooth issues

shirli mirli
posted on 17 Nov 2009, 19:30

Basically phone is for smart dumber!!!

1st PROBLEM is that the phone is TOO GLITCHY because it's new, so it will take about a year to fix all problems I think.2nd PROBLEM is that the phone DOESN'T SUPPORT TETHERING3rd PROBLEM that the Copy & Past DOES NOT WORK as it suppose to work (ex. in EMAIL you CAN NOT COPY YOUR PASSWORD AND PAST INTO THE WEB SITE OR ICQ Messenger)4th PROBLEM is that the phone doesn't have ZOOM feature into E-MAIL, SO YOU CAN NOT SEE YOUR E-MAIL AS FIT TO PAGE FORMAT5th PROBLEM - YOU CANNOT SYNC THIS PHONE WITH APPLE Computers6th PROBLEM - THE PHONE DOESN'T HAVE WORLD Capability, SO YOU CAN'T TAKE IT OUTSIDE THE US7th PROBLEM - THE BACK COVER is ALWAYS FELL OUT (VERY ANNOYING)8th PROBLEM - BiG Auto-focus problem (but sometimes)9th PROBLEM - Phone provider does not accept international SMS??!!!10th PROBLEM - BATTERY LIFE - NOT EVEN A DAY!??!11th PROBLEM -  NO MULTI TOUCH SUPPORT12TH PROBLEM - very simple and basic MUSIC/VIDEO/PHOTO interface 13TH PROBLEM - STILL NO ADOBE FLASH SUPPORT

Pros

• GOOD CONCEPT

Cons

• TOO GLITCHY
  • DOESN'T SUPPORT TETHERING
  • Copy & Past DOES NOT WORK everywhere
  • doesn't have ZOOM feature into E-MAIL
  • YOU CANNOT SYNC THIS PHONE WITH APPLE Computers
  • THE PHONE DOESN'T HAVE WORLD Capability
  • THE BACK COVER is ALWAYS FELL OUT (VERY ANNOYING)
  • BiG Auto-focus problem (but sometimes)
  • Phone provider does not accept international SMS??!!!
  • BATTERY LIFE - NOT EVEN A DAY!??!
  • NO MULTI TOUCH SUPPORT
  • very simple and basic MUSIC/VIDEO/PHOTO interface
  • STILL NO ADOBE FLASH SUPPORT

Jeff W.
posted on 16 Nov 2009, 10:36

Droid

I got my Droid last Monday and have had it for a full week.  I have nothing bad to say about this phone at all.  The Droid replaced my TouchPro and I thought I liked that phone.  The only thing I wish they would improve is the Exchange interface, or at least make it more customizable. Battery life is much, much better than my TouchPro,  I actually carried 4 batteries when I traveled with the pro.   I have, with effort, used up the Droid battery in about 6 hours(but this was way beyond normal use).Best bluetooth connectivity of any phone I have had.  App store is great.  One of the most unexpected benefits of this phone for me is the Internet Radio.  I am using Pandora and after listening during workouts I hooked it up to the stereo at home this weekend.  Some apps that I am happy I paid for:Pandora: Internet RadioWeatherBug - Elite - Add widgets for certain cities to any of the 3 main pages, radar, webcam pics, Shake it Brite/Turn it silent - laying the phone on its face puts it on silent ring/vibrateDocuments to Go - Word/ExcelGoogle listen(Free) - PodcastsGoogle Sky Map - Hold the phone up to the sky and it shows all of the Stars/Planets

Pros

• Battery life - I guess it depends on your previous phone.
  • Apps
  • Contacts - This is the best contact list I have had on any phone ever!

Cons

• Keyboard is usable but not great
  • Getting all of the benefits requires the user to be Tech savvy.

droidboy
posted on 15 Nov 2009, 14:39

Droid is the best phone..IMPORTANT READ!!!

Dont listen to people that say the droid has a lot of problems with the software, If your having problems with your droid, for example it keeps freezing or shutting off than you need to replace it,  I had many problems with my first droid, i was very disapointed  so i went and got a new one and this one works perfect!!!  so make sure you have a good device people, because it happens with every new phone when it comes out.

Pros

• camara, software, gps, apps and much more

Cons

• nothing really, just get use to the keyword

tj9700
posted on 14 Nov 2009, 20:54

Pretty damn fantastic

1)  I have had five phones since I had a phone that would let me put an address in the contact!  way cool

2)  There is a pdf manual on the verizon website under support

3)  I have had it about 3 hours and the only problem is that the SD card is "unavailable"

4)  The free apps are very cool.

5)  Text messaging is hard.  Definately not going to be able to text without looking.

6)  When I get my photos and music in there, I will be happy

7)  Display is very nice.  Searching the web and getting all my email is too.  Not too happy about the $30 data charge, but getting over it.

skeeter42488
posted on 13 Nov 2009, 13:25

Slow03SVT maybe take a minute and breath

Slow03SVT-  Did you by any chance read the other reviews and see that most the people are enjoying their droids.  I have also seen the bugs in this device, yours however does sound like one of the worse cases.  I highly suggest you bring the phone back to the verizon store and get a new one, they will do it without question but do it before your 30 days is up.  My first droid also had some bugs in it I brought it back got a new one and so far this one's working great.  I'm only trying to change your mind on giving up completely because this phone is so nice once you learn how to use it, and if you had one that didn't mess up all the time you would enjoy it a lot more I bet.  I was in the same boat when I started seeing mine do some funky things and I was just going to get another LG.  But I'm glad I stuck with the droid.Plus there's a software update on dec. 11 which should smooth out a lot of the bumps.  Return the phone for another droid for free...if you don't like it after that, then maybe it's just not the phone for you.  But, don't give up on a great phone just yet.

Slow03SVT
posted on 13 Nov 2009, 08:34

Don't buy it!

This is one of the worst phones I have ever owned. There are so many bugs with it and the handset itself has numerous design flaws. -The phone has reset itself numerous times even though I wasn't trying to run any apps. -There was some kind of message that started coming though the other day and has still not finished transfering and shows in the massage screen. -It rings in the middle of the night for no reason. -There is terrible voice interuption.-The battery door is too easy to get off and falls of when removing the phone from my pocket.-The keyboard navigation button is useless and makes you stretch for nome letters that with a virtual keyboard you wouldn't. Why would you need a navigation button with a touch screen phone anyway?-Almost complete lack of an instruction manual.I am returning it today.Droid = Fail!!!

Pros

• Nice screen

Cons

• Battery door, keyboard, freezing, voice quality

anthonygizer@hotmail.com
posted on 13 Nov 2009, 03:26

Best Phone

First i want to say that if you just use talk time it will last you  a long time battery wise. This phone is awesome, great keybord, very fast browser i have beat all my friends iphone 3gs. Awesome network so no droppped calls, sry att and i phones i knw u guys get tons of dropped calls.

Pros

• Excellent Design
  • Excellent Browser Experience
  • Excellent OS google is the bomb
  • Great Battery Life
  • Awesome on screen keyboards

Cons

• no pinch zoom

LS8081
posted on 12 Nov 2009, 17:08

Love it

By far the best phone to go against the iphone. I love everything about the phone except the battery life. I will say there are a few bugs but I figure that is what you have to expect when buying a phone on the first day. VZW said there will be some software updates coming soon so that should fix most the bugs I hope.

Pros

• Touch Screen and ease of use

awesomeguy69
posted on 11 Nov 2009, 12:28 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Nov 2009)

I recently switch from AT & T to Verizon Wirelesss and this is the phone I got and currently have.  I like it sooo much more than my old iPhone 3 G, it has better network capabilities.  it has great internet, call quality, and I love the QWERTY keyboard.  To top it off, it look  amazing.  great camera, too.

Pros

Cons

• nothing!

skeeter42488
posted on 11 Nov 2009, 11:02

alex skiff

Alex Skiff can't form a sentence for the life of him.  How could you take his comment's seriously.I myself have seen a few minor bugs on the droid, they seem to go away.They need a bigger battery for this phone..Coming from an LG dare where the battery would last me all day into the next if I didn't charge it.  This battery is kinda scary.I've had two droids,  the first one I returned because I thought it was a lemon, turns out the replacement has the same issues as the first one.Mostly I notice the messaging has bugs,  adding contacts was giving me trouble, and a few other random things will happen sometimes.But 90% of the time the phone works smoothly and I'm hoping the update coming out Dec. 11 will fix a lot of these issues.I have had all the big phones that have came out for verizon ,  but I never used their music features...with the droid I am using it as my new ipod.  You can so easily move songs from (itunes, windows's media, any file) into your droid's sd card.This is by far the nicest overall phone to come out for verizon..

Pros

• BROWSER, Display, Music Player, Some (not many) Very Useful Apps...RECEPTION!!!

Cons

• some minor software issues, camera not as clear as I thought (5mp) would be, BATTERY!!!

Sweeny
posted on 11 Nov 2009, 09:35

Chunky Cluncky Monkey

So I bought this phone for my fiance, because I have the imagio and she wanted a phone with a big screen but she likes the keyboard of her touch pro.  So we tried the droid at the store and she liked it.  And I say I bought it for her lightly because admittingly I wanted to play because I am intrested in the upcoming HTC passion and wanted to roll through android to see what it was really like.  I have hated my friends G1 because it is hard to make modifications to it even unlocked, I know avoid him if he wants something on there.

Anyway, I started moving through the device and on the homescreens it moves decently fluidly but once you get into apps it starts to get clunky.  Things become less fluid.  And it takes a moment after you get out for the homescreens to recover so they then move clunky, though it does recover.  I find the browser decent but opera is definitely far better and quicker which is unavailable on android.   I hate Gmail but have no choice but to use it against my will.  The camera has problems with white balance and although it is 5 megapixel it is not anywhere near print quality although she still says it is better than her 3.2 megapixel touch pro.  It is not a pocketable phone, the square corners makes it really hard to get out of the pocket because they catch the material, not that you would be toting in around in your pocket anyway because it is awkward and bulky.  My fiance's biggest complaint...

Pros

• Screen size, navi, google voice, facebook/myspace integration

Cons

• keyboard, form factor, price vs. what you get, call quality, limited features and flexibility, gmail

Bob Johnson
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 21:13

Why?

Why do people trash something they have no intent on buying. I bought the droid I have used it and am truly amazed at how great it is. I have owned 3g and 3gs and this is every bit the equal and more in some areas. I do not want to trash any phone just let you know what my feelings are on this one. I bought media station and navagation holder and they are both great. A real plus on this phone. The screen is beautiful and truly a pleasure to look at. The navagation is so surprising, I really enjoy it. Once you learn how to load music and pictures it is very nice and easy to use music and view pictures. The internet is lacking behind no one. It is the best I have found. The battery life is much better than either Iphone I have. I kept both I Phones and use them as music player. I like this phone so well I am going to sell my I Phones. Not saying they are bad but I have found what I want. These reviews really are being misused and I have seen it on IPhone, Pre and other phones.Try things for your self and buy what you want but do your self a favor and don't let someone keep you from trying something because they trash it. God bless and all enjoy what you chose to buy.  PS. remember all phone released in the last three years have needed up dates to correct issues on them

• Nav
  • Internet
  • Os

Cons

• Camera needs software update

shoe
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 21:00 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)

Great phone!

This is the one of the best smartphones in the market if not the best.  All I can say is the web never looked better on a smartphone!!   Droid will only will get better as Verizon will push OTA software updates.  You can bet that Verizon, Google, and Motorola will work to satisfy customers since all three have a lot invested in this multi-tasking beast.As far as Alex Stiff's (and any other alias he may have) feedback should be taken with caution as he is posting multiple reviews for this phone with similar contents, misleading users about this phone's true capabilities and overall user rating.   If you are a discerning consumer you will take all the reviews in and make an informed decision.

Pros

• Excellent display
  • Physical keyboard (great option to have when needed)
  • Apps for all you need (and more on the way)!
  • Customizable to meet your needs
  • Verizon+Google+Mot will work to resolve issues since they are supporting this phone heavily.
  • Great sound

Cons

• small learning curve, but once learned it will become 2nd nature.

Alex Skiff
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 19:02

No Copy and past command

Another day of test drive: 1. Copy and past doesn't work on previewing email & on the web (so NO COPY AND PAST)2. You can't typing fast with two hands as well as on iPhone, because the phone doesn't support multi touch3. Big problem, when you are viewing E-mail, you can not actually zoom it or make it fit to screen.4. Have some issues with voice: people couldn't hear me good5. Battery drains really fastIn general if you are comparing Droid phone with iPhone all I could say it's a great copy, but it just a copy, not original! Look I have an iPhone for a last year and a half, and really don't like at&t service, so I was really hope that the Droid could be a great phone as a replacement for me to switch to verizon, but ... when I got droid in my hand I feel it's just a technical phone, that has a very simple technical design for almost everything even music application looks so simple that all I feel is 70s, big computers and droid. So... Droid is the 1st good smart phone in Verizon, so if you are a verizon customer it's a great switch, but NOT for an iPhone user.

Pros

• Simple technical design
  • great screen quality
  • advanced navigation

Cons

• COPY & PAST DOESN'T WORK IN E-MAIL & WEB MODE
  • CAN'T TYPE FAST

clifford ahn
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 16:37

the best phone i ever had

this is probably the best phone i ever had i was pondering on which to get the eris driod or the moto driod but thank god i got the moto driod cause all my friend are having problems with the eris driod but for me i am experiencing zero problems right now camera is doing fine sound is doing fine(i heard that people set the ringtone to max volume and they hear it pretty low not for me i set my ringtone volume and thats the volume i hear when i get calls) apps broswer display music and etc all doing fine but i am pretty sure i will have problems down the line but since there is a update coming soon i am not worry i recommend all the people and my friends to try this phone out this is the best phone that verizon had in a while not to mention that this is all andriod apps and software verizon didn't do anything to modify it what so ever like they do in other phones but i am pretty sure they have one vzw app whcih i think is the visual vm but other then vzw didn't really do anythin to modify it in any way and since black friday and xmas is coming out i am sure that the motorola driod will sell alot by years end which is a big boost for motorola and verizon cause 1 motorola could starting being a big contender again and 2 motorola 1st andriod experience is successfull and might think to put alot of andriod phones in the future including when they switch to 4g.

all in all my experience i had with the motorold driod since day 1 is very very good indeed and i really hope this phone...

Pros

• best display i have seen yet in a smart phone
  • apps text and broswer runs smoothly
  • calls runs great
  • very open minded phone when it comes to apps
  • everything about this phone is very good

Cons

• in my opnion if there is any problem then it would have to be the battery life.

MR521
posted on 10 Nov 2009, 13:06 (Posts: 47; Member since: 12 Jun 2009)

Just Awesome!

This is by far the best smartphone i have ever had, so far. I've owned the Iphone 3G and I can simply say that because of the multitasking the Droid does, it makes it superior to the Iphone, other than that both phones are great. Let's begin with the design. Although some dislike the squared form, I really dont mind it. Sure it's not the prettiest but it's fine by me. The phone is heavier than what it looks like, but it has a nice solid feel. The keyboard took me a day to get use to. Not the best kb but its ok cuz i have thin fingers. Because of the dpad you will notice it's pushed a bit more to the left.The touch screen is awesome and it's very responsive. The multitasking is the best. You can have many things running at the same time without a lag. If the Droid manages too many things for it to handle, theres a window that pops up stating that "X" app will need to close or if you want to wait for it to respond. One thing i did have a problem with was the POP3 email , hotmail to be exact, but that's because i messed with the settings. All i had to do was remove the account, and set it up again. This following comment goes to Alex Tiff:there is copy and paste,  but it is not supported on the browser, so if you are on phonearena, for example, you cannot copy and paste an article, which sucks, but I wouldn't trash this phone for something that can be fixed with a few updates. Look at the Iphone...it took 2 previous phones to get it to where it's at today. So yea, this phone...

Pros

• Resolution
  • Screen size
  • Multitasking
  • Android Market
  • QWERTY KB
  • Fast processor, was told it's running 2 CPUs, but im not sure about that. sure feels like it.
  • 5MP Camera w/LED
  • Open Platform

Cons

• no copy and paste on browser
  • DPAD is not really necessary

Buy This Phone