Motorola DROID User Reviews

Everyday usage8.2/10

Prophitis
posted on 01 Feb 2010, 15:51

Android Rocks!

Android is a very user customizable interface that will be the standard on appliances and phones in a few years!

BTW, dont people know how to use comma's and periods anymore? Their 14 line paragraphs are one long sentence with no ending punctuations. I know this isnt grammer class, but come on people! its a pain in the a$$ trying to read some of these posts. If you want to make a point in your post, make it easy for people to understand!

That is all!

Jessica98664
posted on 28 Jan 2010, 18:55 (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 Jan 2010)

DROID ROCKS! WOW DID I JUST SAY THAT?

Ok I've had every phone Verizon has put out Since I started working for the company In 2006 and I'm a Blackberry Support Specialist too. I wasn't going to jump on the Droid train but I was finally forced to as sales raised. Being I'm the type of person who has to use it in reader to sell it. I had grown very comfortable just using blackberries over the last year and half and spent allot of money on my schooling for them. So for me to say its anamazing phone it must me. The phone puts IPhone to shame I must say. I'm a very fare person when it comes to this business and I'm not scared to say another company has a better phone or offer then us. I'm a logical person! And logic,reason and knowledge says its over all better. There are no perfect phones out there. All of them lack one thing or another to make them perfect! I want to add if your having battery issues it the fault of the person who sold it to you, you not listening when sold  or you not simply put using the task killer you should be. If you down load even the free one you wouldn't be having this issue.from AP store :its called "TASKILLER" little red guy icon or my favorite " TASKKILLER" two K's not one like other Little green man Icon! One of the flaws in this phone/Pda is it has no built in way of closing out of what your doing so you need to down load a task killer to do it for you. Having everything always open your battery will die. I also read about someone really going back to At&t and willing to suffer...

Pros

• eVERYTHING I DIDNT PUT UNDER CON!! :)

Cons

• NO WAY TO SEND MUSIC FILE OR SOUND CLIP TO OTHER PHONES! KEEP IN MIND THIS IS A MOTOROLA ISSUE NOT A VERIZON PROGRAMING ISSUE.
  • WONT LET YOU ADD YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT FORCED TO JUST SAVE PAGE AS A BOOK MARK.

dennismc
posted on 07 Jan 2010, 16:50 (Posts: 6; Member since: 12 May 2008)

Droid addict

I came from a Blackberry Storm and havent looked back, this phone is just great in my opinion.An open platform is the best and now were getting Android 2.1, flash 10.1,Google earth and another service update.I will be keeping this phone for a while.There is no global roaming but i am never out of the country anyway so thats no big deal for me.I just cant say enough good thing about this phone its like a breath of fresh air my Blackberry was getting boring and i never owned a Motorola phone before but this baby has won me over.Good job Motorola and Verizon and Google.

Pros

• web browser- screen- apps- call quality- on screen keyboard is the best i have used-etc-etc-etc

Cons

• no dialing from bluetooth-lockscreen time out. no big deal

NJP179
posted on 06 Jan 2010, 18:19

THE DROID HAS CAPTURED MY HEART

I am a phone junkie and got the Droid on Christmas eve and this is the 1st time i have been on phonearena( i am on phonearena daily). Not since i had the iphone have i been this satisfied with a phone. It keeps up with the iphone in every possible way and has the best coverage possible(Verizon of course). It even passes the iphone in screen clarity. I have never written a review before, so this should tell you how much i dig this phone.

Pros

• SCREEN IS THE BEST EVER
  • APPS ARE GREAT
  • COVERAGE IS THE BEST
  • EASY TO USE

Cons

• CAMERA OF COURSE

deaner90
posted on 03 Jan 2010, 15:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Jan 2010)

Great Phone! Droid DOES everything U want it to do!

I've had the phone for about a month and its great! Each day I learn something new about the phone that it can do. The Droid DOES everything you need it to do. Pros:- Great Camera (nice lens, 5mp, and can do creative things to the pictures like on the Nikon Cool Pix Camera).- Great Multi-Tasking (You can have up to 6 apps running simultaneuously). If you are on the phone you can text message at the same time. Or play a game of connect 4 while on the speakerphone. I know for a fact that the 3G iphone cannot do that.- Google OS is fantastic. Google Maps operates sufficiently fast and the phone itself operates sufficiently fast. - Great LCD screen. Bigger and better that the Droid Eris and the Apply iPhone.- Speakers are LOUD. - All music is free from iMusic (a free app on the Google Market), unlike the iPhone which charges you for everything song thru iTunes. Also you can convert every song that you get to a ringtone for free. Try that on the iPhone.... you can't.- Apps are great. iPhone currently has a larger consumption of apps, but wait a few months and the Google App Store will overtake the iPhone App Store. (Most of the Apps are FREE!! thats a plus.) If you purchase an app thru the Google App Store and don't like the app.. you can get your money back from it. I'm not sure the iPhone app store has a money-back-guarentee. lol- The new Android 2.1 coming out...

Pros

• See review for pros.

Cons

• See review for cons.

Cfrone
posted on 31 Dec 2009, 11:00

Droid Review from iPhone User

I was an original iPhone user  who was really looking forward to switching to the Droid because of AT&T's poor service.  While I really wanted to like the phone it just didnt do it for me.  The design was nice although the physical keyboard took some getting used to.  The app store was OK but not nearly as easy to use as the Apple apps store.  Call quality was good and connectivity for the internet/apps was OK.

The deal breaker for me was trying to use the Droid with my MAC and iTunes.  Obviously the droid wont sync with iTunes but you can still drag and drop to load the Droid with music/videos.  The problem is that it is very difficult/time consuming to use music/videos you've bought through iTunes on the Droid because of the copyright protection.  You'd need to reformat music/movies you've bought from iTunes to be able to use it on the Droid.  As a heavy iTunes user this was a deal breaker for me.

I ended up returning the phone and switching back to AT&T and my iPhone.  Guess I'll be stuck with AT&T until Verizon gets an iPhone.  Hope this is helpful.

Pros

• Cool form factor
  • Verizon service
  • Android OS

• Not iTunes friendly

projectnwork
posted on 26 Dec 2009, 18:10

Great phone, needs a better battery

I have had this phone for  a week and its a great phone. Had the BB Storm and thought I would never want a touch screen again. This phone has some amazing apps and performs fast and reliable all the time. My only dislike with it is that the battery life is not that great. I do good to make it through the day. In its defense I do a lot of streaming of music and surfing of the web. I thought the slide out keyboard would be a real selling point, however I prefer the touch keyboard on the screen most of the time. I think the Android system is user friendly and can't wait to see how it is improved with updates. Best of all I can't believe that Verizon allowed so much of this phone to be unlocked were I am not screwed with addition monthly fees. BTW the GPS and Navigation work awesome as well.

Pros

• Just about everything

Benja
posted on 25 Dec 2009, 07:09

Amazing Phone!

This is the best smartphone I have every had. Though the battery life is a little bit short, it is very responsive. A ton of apps on the market place, everything that you'll need. Many settings to customize. I am a little iffy about call quality. I can understand them fine, and they can hear me fine, but it sounded a little weird hearing them. The keyboard is difficult to use at first, but I got use to it and now I am typing faster than on my old phone! The screen is mouthwatering. The turn-by-turn GPS is amazing. Works perfectly! I'd recommend this phone to anyone!

Pros

• Apps
  • Large Marketplace
  • GPS
  • Physical Keyboard
  • The Screen

Cons

• Battery life is a tiny bit short, but you get that with most smart phones.

Eric Burcher
posted on 20 Dec 2009, 10:27

Great phone for an average user but, it's a power hog!

As phones go this one is a little above average. This was my first Android phone and was more than a little frustrated the first couple of days with it. The phone isn't very intuitive. I have rather large hands which makes the two virtual keyboards difficult to use, but the hard keyboard works well for me. There is a veritable plethora of apps for android which is a bonus!! The Camera is quite good (I’m not a big photographer), it would have been logical to attach the zoom settings to volume rocker but, that didn't happen, it's a virtual button on screen which makes it a bit difficult to use.  I haven’t experienced any of the camera glitches that have been reported. This thing is a POWER HOG!!!!! More than a few times I’ve watched a 30% power drop in what seems like a matter of minutes. I’ve got the suggested power management apps and even with that it drains rather quickly! A little more thought could been put into button placement, I use a vertical case and I can’t get to my phone without pressing the volume buttons. Speaking of volume someone decided to have a separate volume control for “media” (which includes games) which you can only get at by going in to settings. Another inconvenience is lack of a “home” button for the browser, to get back to your homepage you have to save it as a bookmark and access it through your saved bookmarks. Overall it’s great phone phone for the average user, if you’re a power user(lots of texting and web browsing), get...

Pros

• Lot of apps(many are free or very low cost)
  • Good Camera
  • Good sound quality(both music and Phone)

• Volume button placement
  • Both virtual keyboards and Battery life

George2145
posted on 18 Dec 2009, 10:12

GREATEST PHONE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!! DROID DOES

Let me start by saying I am a big phone buff. I have owned every phone out there from the storm to the Iphone 3GS to the curve, HTC 6900, G1 and many more. By far this out does every single one of those. Verizon's Network first of all is the best I have ever used. The internet speed is unbelievable. The actual phone speed going between applications is also impressive. There are 2 flaws that this phone has: call quality isn't has strong, and the camera auto focus is still not great.  My call quality on my blackberries was much better, there seems to be a crackling sound coming from the speaker. And as for the camera if your taking a picture you have to make sure you dont move a muscle, possibly stop breathing because the picture will come out completly blurry. All in all I am really enjoying this phone and highly recommend it!

Pros

• Android OS
  • Verizon Network
  • Screen Resolution
  • Touch keyboard
  • Expandable Memory
  • Removable battery
  • Google Navi
  • Voice Search

Cons

• Camera Auto focus
  • Slightly Bulky (not a big deal)

brittham
posted on 13 Dec 2009, 08:23

droid FTW!

Traded my Tour for the Droid & so far I'm not looking back (I do miss my BlackBerry Messenger though)! The screen is amazing! Everything is so crisp and clear.. I installed the Invisible Shield on mine and it looks good. Keyboard is different than other QWERTY boards but once you get used to it, it'll be fine. Every phone takes getting used to! The 5.0 megapixel camera is okay. I think I may have a little glitch in mine but it's nothing that can't be fixed or taken care of. Overall, I'd totally reccomend the Droid!

Pros

• Android 2.0
  • Apps!!!!
  • FAST!
  • Wifi

Cons

• Camera is a little glitchy

JoshIsSuperCool
posted on 10 Dec 2009, 12:18

Droid is the best phone I've had!

This phone looked pretty dumb at first sight about two months ago. After having previous Motorola phones, I thought for sure this would be just as bad, but it wasn't! This has everything!!!! Great market, great camera, good call quality, GPS!, wi-fi!, and more!!! After upgrading from the Storm 1, this is hugely the best phone I have ever had, and it just happens to be my 27th! GO DROID!

Pros

• Huge screen
  • Market
  • Touch Screen
  • Wifi
  • GPS

Cons

• Keyboard is a little small

Bman999
posted on 09 Dec 2009, 18:38

Worthy of Verizon and Android

The phone isn't perfect, but is the most refined Motorola phone in recent memory with .  There will be two parts to this review, the phone itself and the Android operating system.

Hardware:
The phone is extremely snappy with its super-scaling 550mhz ARM Cortex A8 processor (the same one in the iPhone 3GS)  and has enough RAM to get the job done.  With 256MB of application and internal storage, it has more than enough room for all the applications you could ever want, as they typically range from a few hundred KB to a few MB each.

The camera has a hard time focusing and doesn't reproduce colors well so pictures come out relatively bland.  Taking a picture of a still object at a medium distance can produce very clear pictures, however, as it has 5 mega pixels and a dual-LED flash to play with.

The call quality is very good, and not having to worry about reception makes it that much sweeter.  In many environments the speakerphone can be switched on andn off during a conversation without the other person even noticing.  Voice quality had a nice balance of treble and bass but is slightly robotic (ironic).

Battery life is above average, especially when compared to my old Storm or the iPhone 3G (not including 3GS, but this is just a benchmark).  As processor scaling and fabrication size improve, so does battery life.  Don't let the slight difference in clock speed between the old 528mhz processor and the 550mhz processor in the...

Pros

• + Performance
  • + Flexibility
  • + Build-quality
  • + Battery life
  • + Speakerphone

Cons

• - Some noticeable design flaws
  • - Camera
  • - Lacks some basic media features

Michael Putt
posted on 09 Dec 2009, 09:48

OK, but not great

Lets start the review by saying that the phone is a good attempt at gaining marketplace in the smartphone arena.  When I initially used the unit in a Verizon Wireless store, I wasn't too impressed with the device.  There was too much lag/stutter for my taste.  However, I decided to purchase the DROID from a local Best Buy, since I could get the cheaper rate from it.  If I had known the software wasn't going to get better with the lag/stutter, I would never have bought the unit.

After purchasing the DROID, I started by testing the unit out by running it through some quick tests.  At the Verizon Wireless store, I remembered the Notification shutter being laggy (lag defined as short stops as the shutter is pulled down).  I also noticed this same "lag/stutter" as the applications pane was pulled up and pushed down.  I assumed that this was just a simple "too many applications running at once" syndrome on the unit at the store.  However, after purchasing the item (with NO apps installed), the unit was doing the same thing!  This lag/stutter was driving me nuts.

So I decided to look at some other applications to see if it wasn't just the home page.  I remember moving between homepages (which I KNEW had a noticeable amount of lag), and it definitely had a longer pause than the short quick pauses when opening the Notification shutter and the applications pane.  I was...

Pros

• Tons of features
  • Asking the device to load an application was quick
  • Google Navigation
  • Actually liked the layout of the phone portion (making/receiving calls)

Cons

• Stutter/lag in application use, notification pane, web browsing, etc
  • Call echo was more than any of my previous phones
  • Drops calls more than my previous phones
  • Terrible phone reception (1 bar MAX in a 3 - 4 bar area)
  • Heavy/bulky
  • Camera (not a big thing for me as we have tons of cameras)
  • Android OS is OK, but needs more visual touch-ups

droidtopia
posted on 06 Dec 2009, 18:41

I love my droid I really do. There are so many apps in the android market to customize this phone. I really like the google maps integrated. I have many pros and some cons. This phone I really heave and is very noticeably in the pocket. The reception is good. Not very simple to use and im really good with technical stuff.

Pros

• I love the customization on this phone
  • The google maps
  • The 5 mp camera

Cons

• The battery life is not that great I get a day out of heavy usage
  • Texting on this phone is horrible
  • The battery cover falls off all the time! right now I have no cover on my droid and am using the holster

MaggieMoose
posted on 06 Dec 2009, 10:16

Owned it and returned it

I owned the Droid and returned it before my 30 day period was up.  Verizon's 30 day return policy is great and they took it back without issue.  I really wanted to love this phone, since it has so many great features, but it was lacking in a few integral areas (for me).
The good: I loved the GPS, it was awesome. The browser was fast and fun to use. Those two things were the best features.  Battery time was ok and probably good for all the use it gets.

The bad: bottom line, for me a phone has to be able to text easily and have clear sound quality first and foremost and that was the worst part of the phone. The sound clarity on my end was fine with and without the bluetooth, however, the people I called had terrible clarity and an echo no matter how I adjusted the phone sound or position--unless I used the jawbone bluetooth.  Also, who would think that a phone this techy would not have voice activated dialing for your bluetooth?  No, really, it doesn't. Also, I like speed dial.  To be fair, you can put a shortcut  to a contact on the homepage and simply touch it and it's dialing--but with all the aps on the homepage it's easy to accidentally hit it when you don't intend to hit it. And finally, I absolutely hated the virtual key pad and the physical qwerty keypad . It was very difficult to use no matter how much I practiced.  I personally need raised buttons. Also, when using numbers I kept...

Pros

• GPS is terrific
  • Browser is fast
  • Lots of aps and homepage is customizable
  • Camera is good

Cons

• Phone sound quality poor to recipients
  • Virtual and physical keypad annoying and difficult to use
  • No voice command dialing for bluetooth
  • No keypad speed dialing for phone

posted on 05 Dec 2009, 17:59

somethings missing

i love this phone but i just do not know what is missing it. it does emit a lot of radiation 1.49 to be exact and the number 1 phone is 1.6 the concept is cool but the os i dont like. it has tiny changes from the g1 and i would think they would change it a whole lot. also the phone is quite heavy but you get used to it. other than that its good. im seriously thinking of going to the storm 2.

Pros

• fast
  • 4g ready
  • pointless apps that i love
  • many apps

Cons

• no multi touch
  • heavy
  • to much radiation
  • something is missing(i cant figure it out but the phone just overall feels anoying)
  • need to download an app to close running ones

disapointment
posted on 05 Dec 2009, 16:38

what a joke

I was so exited to get this phone i even switched from at&t and my iphone 3gs to get this phone it worked great for 3 days and then just crashed. it didnt just turn off it just shutdown and would never start up again. i could tell from the beginning that it was built cheap, but i didnt think it would crash.this section tells how helpfull the verizon people were to me.(not) i called and asked if they could replace my phone for free or even a small cost the guy just said. ''That isnt my problem, just figure it out.''  Thanks for the help verizon.(not)So overall i am completley disapointed in the droid and in verizon. I may press charges.(just kidding) but i am serously dissapointed in them.

posted on 05 Dec 2009, 16:58

Picked up the Droid when I went in to check out the Storm2. I noticed that it would close apps and restart shortly after I got it. Several days of this I was convinced it was a defective phone. Took it back, it was replaced with no problem after explaining what was going on with it. This one is great! I've only slowed it down maybe twice, but only for a blink or two. Had HTC Touch, and HTC Touch Pro, with both of those, always having to poke the stylus into the little hole on the bottom to reset. Had BlackBerry Curve and the Storm, no more little whorling hourglass to wait on. No more waiting on a page to redraw.  No more battery pulls. It pulls up my mobile banking but will not go to the log in page. Called the bank and was told it was a known issue and should be corrected with the upcoming update. Looked at my phone bill and noticed I was getting charged with calling mobile to mobile Verizon and to my friends and family numbers. Not all the time just some of the calls I placed to those numbers. I called Verizon and talked to them about this and was credited back those min. and they gave me 250 bonus min. for the next 6 months. So yes there are a few bugs to be worked out still. Overall, BEST phone I've ever had. Sounds great, lots of apps, UI is great after you fool around with it and learn where everything is located.  Typing on the touch screen keyboard is a breeze. The suggested words that pop up are fantastic. Only had to finish typing 4 or 5 words. Had that...

Pros

• Too many to list, only getting better with updates, and newer models.

Cons

• A few phones got out the door that were defective. OS needs a update to correct a few glitches.

Verizon Agent
posted on 05 Dec 2009, 11:03

I will have had the Moto Droid for a month tomorrow and I have had no problems.  The phone is fast and responsive. I have a few problems with lag when more than 8 or so applications are running. I have also had a few problems with voice clarity, but that is coming in an update.  The screen is beautiful and crisp. The Android Market is great, it adds a massive amount of value. Google maps navigation is great too. The device has a great build. Motorola is sticking to its metal body which adds weight, but give the phone the needed durability. Great job Verizon Wireless for getting us a great phone!

Pros

• Great screen
  • Android market
  • Durable

Cons

• Needs better memory managment

MAYNE™
posted on 04 Dec 2009, 10:04

THEE MOTOROLA DROID

ok so yea this is the best phone i have ever  had the pleasure of using. the droid is definately a force to be reconed with. i got thee droid in november and am very happy with my choice.pros: the camera and video are terrific. the you tube and market place are a pleasure to use and both the virtual keyboards and the slide out qwerty board are top notch. this is a 5 star phone!!!!!!!! the screen is beautiful adn the user interface is amazing along with the sexy notification bar.cons: the little edge around the phone keeps dirt in the cracka. the battery cover comes off alot. and the battery is less then it  should be , thus why there is alot of battery saving options out on the web.i have people stop me everyday to see my drooid because its thee best!!!.ducez

posted on 02 Dec 2009, 18:38

One really great phone!

This phone has given Verizon something that it hasn't had a great phone. The web browsing is the best I have ever used. Fast and smooth. The turn by turn is such a sweet thing. Don't use my Garvin any more. Video on this is super I watch movies all the time I'm not surffing. Screen is the best one I have seen to date. Looking forward to how great the app store will get now that all these phones have sold.That being said I will not compare it to other Phones(I Phone).Why is it that people are so touchy about phone they don't want or won't get any way. What ever you like I hope you enjoy as much as I have this . I got this on the 6th so I have had it almost 30 days. I have used camera at work for pictures I use to make training papers. The phone really works super. Music is load and clear. Hope to own this for a long time to come.

• Turn by turn
  • Phone works great
  • Oh did I mention the screen

Cons

• Nothing to speak of

posted on 02 Dec 2009, 18:07

best verizon phone yet

It stomps the bb storm 2.
So many people complain about the hardware keyboard saying its like trying to press into a cement block. They obiously have never even tried a Droid. The only phone on the market that comes close to competing is the iphone, but really iphone so last year kids
- The screen is gorgeous.
-The browser is lightning fast.
-android, the best operating system ever.

My opinion is a definant iphone killer.

Pros

• display
  • voice quality
  • processor
  • operating system

posted on 02 Dec 2009, 13:10

Awesome phone, for an awesome network.

This is a great phone, ive sold it to many customers as well as many personal friends of mine. Everyone loves and enjoys the phone, i havent had any complaints whatsoever. Voice searh is great, the camera is amazin as well as the video. And it is also on the nations best network, No dropped calls with this phone, and very fast browsing speeds. Phone is great for multi-tasking and applications.The Iphone is a good phone, but is on a shitty network. Whats the purpose of having a phone when download speeds are slow and there are alot of dropped calls. The DROID kicks *** and so does the nestwork it is on!

• viseo
  • applications
  • web browsing speeds are fast
  • phone is customizable
  • voice search
  • google maps
  • responsive touch screen
  • VERIZON WIRELESS NETWORK (no dropped calls)

Cons

• Phone is a little bulky but i can deal with that.

andrew121
posted on 30 Nov 2009, 22:26

wow.. amazing

i love this phone it is amazing.. i actually gave up my storm1 for this Droid.. but i must say my friend has the storm 2 and i miss the screen on the storm sooooo much. i used the storm 2 to txt and email it kills the droid. the intenet on the droid is faster than the storm hell its faster than almost every other phone. the only phone whos internet that can keep up is the iphone 3g. and the camera is great but its really not that noticable. and the battery is great.. then again its still a brand new phone i wanna see if the battery will still be as great with a few months of use.

Pros

• great internet speed, awesome camera, wonderful customization, and amazing battery life

Cons

• the design, key pad, oncreen keys, its a box

Buy This Phone