Motorola DROID X2 User Reviews

Text input7.5/10
Everyday usage6.8/10
UI speed6.6/10

KDulcimer
posted on 15 May 2014, 15:06 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 May 2014)

Keep looking

KDulcimer has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I hate this phone. Here's why:

Lag issues:
-Have to tap the button several times to get the flashlight to come on. Sometimes flashlight will turn off a few seconds after I've turned it on, because I tapped several times, but it takes a couple of minutes to register. Yes, you read that right. A couple of minutes.
-Failure to let me accept incoming calls.
-Takes way too long to make outgoing calls. I just hope I don't need to call 911, because it could take me FIVE STINKING MINUTES.
-Generally unresponsive behavior-- web page scrolling, placing calls, opening apps, closing apps, etc.
-Music, whether played via streaming radio (like Pandora), or from the SD card, stutters, and that is incredibly annoying.

Nice bits:
-I have an extended life battery, and it lasts all day with heavy usage.
-Bright screen
-Comes with Swype

Pros

• Nice screen
  • Extended life battery lasts all day

Cons

• Multimedia playback stutters really bad
  • Lag
  • Slow

KDulcimer alternatives:

username123
posted on 07 Apr 2014, 13:45 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Apr 2014)

Awful

username123 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Worst phone i have ever owned. within the second week i had it the screen started locking up and it would have to be powered off and back on. Now that ive had it for a while, the keyboard never works, the screen locking up is beyond awful, and it won't charge. bought a new battery which did not help. It powers off randomly at 100% battery. It also will not charge on a computer, only a wall outlet. really, don't waste your money. This phone gives me intense migraines.

Pros

• nothing

saraskeen
posted on 29 Sep 2013, 17:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)

Loved it!

saraskeen has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I loved this phone! It was great! The lack of numbers on the tops was the only annoying thing. I went to Droid 4 and its horrible... went back and got a Droid 3! AMAZING! I wish They would have left the Droid 3 alone!

Pros

• Very good for a start

Cons

• key board.. number row

droidx2sucks
posted on 09 Sep 2013, 12:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)

This phone is terrible, all the other reviews are wrong besides the negative ones!!!!!!

droidx2sucks has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

The droid x2 is by far the worst phone ever. The first month it was fine, but after that it was god awful. You cant download any more apps, music, e.t.c. I would rather have a flip phone from 1999! The phone always resets on me. I charge the phone all night and unplug it in the morning and go on an app and it dies right away... no warning at all! The camera is embarrising. The touchscreen does not even registrate that my finger is on the screen. The droid isnt all that bad tho, actually i lied. It sucks so much! Whenever i try to call someone it takes 30 seconds to call someone, and half the time it doesnt even call the right people. I'd rather go to war with russia all by my self then keep the droid x2 another day! Like straight bullets to my chest any day of the week as long as that droid x2 is gone!

Pros

• Nothing

Cons

• Read above

2020tsantini
posted on 15 Jul 2013, 14:27 (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)

This phone is crap

2020tsantini has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is absolute garbage. Within a month of getting the X2, it began to exponentially degrade. It freezes at least 3 times a day. It overheats after about ten minutes of use. It will randomly shut down without notice. The battery life is about 1/2 a day assuming you can make it to the end of the battery life without the phone crapping out. Reception is just as bad as everything else, along with overall speed. Speakers are extremely quiet and the camera is worse than the camera on a 1990 nokia.Do not buy.

Build quality 8/10 Best feature
Reception 4/10 crap
Call quality 3/10 crap
Internet 2/10 crap
Multimedia 1/10 horrible
Camera 1/10 literally would be better off without the piece of crap theycall a camera
UI speed 5/10 What is UI speed?
Everyday usage 1/10 crap
Text input 2/10 crap
Display 5/10 average
Battery 3/10 crap

Pros

• Great paperweight.
  • Also functions as doorstop
  • Superb for killing spiders and other creepy crawlers with (incase you dont have a magazine or shoe near you).

Cons

• Everything. Read my review.

mdorno
posted on 20 Jul 2012, 00:31 (Posts: 8; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)

X2 is mediocre.

mdorno has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

What started out as high hopes for this phone quickly turned to head shaking mediocraty.

First impressions were not good as the phone rebooted nearly a dozen times in the first half hour of ownership. The UI was sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. Which I believe was from what is called a memory leak. Where the phone lags and freezes and then crashes because of lack of RAM. Partially (mostly?) due to wonky or badly coded firmware. Phone overheats constantly too. Not uncommon to hit 118 degrees doing nothing. Battery life was on par with the Droid X I had.

Phone improved slightly when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3. Random reboots went away completey (in my case). Phone UI slightly improved speed wise for a little while. But the biggest failure was the camera software. After the update it would take 15-30 seconds or more for the camera app to open up, if it opened at all without crashing.

After a few months the memory leakage came back and the phone became almost unusable. Freezing up when doing the simplest task or even just trying to unlock the phone.

Buyer beware when considering this phone. Software seemed rushed and hardware isn't much better. Phone is also on it's last legs because Moto says they are not updating it beyond 2.3

Build quality 8/10 Good build quality. Moto's saving grace.
Reception 8/10 Top notch.
Call quality 8/10 Very good but speakerphone could be better.
Internet 7/10 Decent.
Camera 1/10 Camera sucks. Takes forever to load and then takes bad photos.
UI speed 2/10 Slow and laggy. Use a different launcher but it doesn't solve any problems.
Everyday usage 5/10 The cons outweigh the pros.
Display 5/10 Pentile matrix display and low pixel density make for a bad experience.
Battery 5/10 Decent but battery saver settings will be your friend.

Pros

• Build quality.
  • Reception.

Cons

• Overheating.
  • Laggy UI.
  • Everything else.

ghostkilla1388
posted on 22 Jul 2012, 14:07 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)

Uprgraded to the x2

ghostkilla1388 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I bought my first phone on a pre-paid with lg and loved it.... for the first few weeks then the data speeds went down, and the phone itself slowed down. I bought this phone and love it now i get very good battery life, usually i get about 5 calls a day, a lot of texts and a very good amount of emails, and i still have about 50% left of the battery at midnight. The tegra 2 is amazingly fast, if you have a droid x its not really worth the upgrade but if you want a good/pretty cheap phone this is amazing to get.

Build quality 10/10 Motorola has a very good build quality.
Reception 9/10 i get full bars 99% of the time unless i go to the lake, which is in a "hole."
Camera 9/10 The camera app opens slowly at times and ive had it freeze on me once while listing to the fm radio in the phone and tried to use the camera it just froze.
Everyday usage 10/10 The only thing that would make this a better phone would be to double the ram and it would be better, either way its a 10/10 for me.
Display 8/10 It has a great display but every now and again i notice the pintile display is a bit pixleated
Battery 10/10 Amazing battery life i can get more than a day and half with moderate to heavy usage.

• Speedy Nvidia Tegra 2
  • Easy to read/type on the screen

Cons

• Could of come with a larger memory card
  • Wished it had more ram in the phone, i constantly have between 20-100mb free. if it had 1gb ram it would be a speedy phone

ghostkilla1388 alternatives:

Mike12mt
posted on 20 Dec 2012, 13:27 (Posts: 0; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)

Rawr! Why did I break my Droid X and get stuck getting this one as its replacement?

Mike12mt has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

My overall thoughts on this phone have been mostly towards the software which its currently using android 2.3.1 With updated software or alternative options currently available on the android market they have improved many of the issues I have had with this phone. Though the market is not a complete savior of the phone's flaws including that I don't see much of a performance increase with the dual-core chip over the droid x's single core chip. Whatever improvements the hardware in this phone can do, it certainly does not show in its stock UI performance.

The camera is another major issue for me. It picks and chooses when it wants to take a photo or video. This problem was not found on the droid x.

My only hope with Ice Cream Sandwich if it show up on the X2 is that it will improve many of the handicaps OS 2.3 inhibits on this phone. With so many alternative apps at our disposal, the apps have improved the phones basic functionally greatly.

A great phone with the right software!

Build quality 9/10 I love the solid metal feel the x,x2 have. Though not bulletproof of course, this phone can take medium abuse so long as you do not intentionally toss this phone at a wall. lol
Reception 7/10 Living in Westchester County, specifically near the scarsdale golf course and pool... Verizon swears they have full coverage of both phone reception as well as 3g reception. It must just be the location my house is in or the building materials this house is made out of but since 2003 all phones that I have used through verizon all had bad cell reception. Overall when I have good reception, I never had dropped calls on my end.
Call quality 9/10 call quality is great when another droid user calls me. However most likely not the flaw of the phone, when a user on a blackberry calls me, I can hear everything like wind, buses, trains, you name it, its there in the background. In a way the clear quality on my side as well as the blackberry not canceling out the background sounds made conversations difficult to maintain. If you ask me, the phone has too good of a call quality. lol
Internet 8/10 When using the right app, the internet can be super quick on this phone. Using the stock browser I found the experience to be very slow. Even when the browser defaults to the mobile version of a website. While using the dolphin browser I found loading the full websites to be extremely fast. This leads me to believe that the 2.3 android software can sometimes hinder the full potential this phone has.
Multimedia 6/10 The built-in multimedia functions of the phone are decent but not great. If you are a lossless user there is no stock option to play FLAC files. (recommend poweramp) Recording video and taking pictures are decent if a little lackluster in their overall quality. Playback through recorded video was somewhat choppy, as was watching streamed videos from the official netflix app. This didn't ruin my experience with video viewing on the phone. With software tweaks, I'm sure video playback will smooth out.
Camera 4/10 This phone's camera takes too long for the lens to "initialize" a shot let alone getting it to focus then actually snap the photo. This wasn't as bad on the Droid X. I could have a faulty camera on my phone but sometimes it would fail to even capture my first shot or video after putting the phone down. This happens too frequently and it could be a defect in the hardware or maybe the software itself. Camera quality however is a far better experience. Pictures came out almost as good as my fujifilm 7.1MP camera. Good quality in a pinch when it wants to cooperate.
UI speed 4/10 The 2.3 update to androids OS helped very little in regards to boosting the smoothness from the stock home launcher. The saving grace about a android is if you don't like the stock software... "there's a app for that" with additional market options for alternative launcher apps you can vastly improve the UI speed. I had assumed with a dual-core chip that the stock experience would have improved from the Droid X. I was wrong.
Everyday usage 4/10 Everyday use of this phone makes me wish for the upcoming quad-core phones. 512MB of memory is also not enough with the amount of apps I use, (background apps as well) Its sluggish during most basic functions. The experience only slightly improves if I control the amount of ram my apps use. Overall, carrier and phone companies should give users more choices in what bloatware we can remove from the phone. PS - I only run three aps in the background. Weather, Anti-virus, and a data counter.
Text input 6/10 The phone in the beginning was very picky about how I type on it. Market apps at first helped with this until I updated to Android 2.3 which guesses how you would finish your sentences to help ease the amount of words you end up actually typing. If my wordy review is any indication of how much I write you may notice this feature would have been very helpful to me but instead it made typing worse. Once the feature was turned off, typing is fine on the device.
Display 8/10 I enjoyed the resolution on this phone better then on the droid x. My only wish was that they didn't change the resolution of the screen to its odd size that prevented me from watching my high quality collection of music videos off youtube which came up as a invalid file during playback. Other then the source material, video quality on the screen is excellent given its a modern video source.
Battery 5/10 If you are a high multimedia user, my advice is carry three batteries with you! I found myself recharging this phone every 6 hours. I tried apps after apps to anaylze and help reduce the amount of data which apps were using and lowering my screens brightness to barely legible to increase its life to no avail. In the end I just learned not to have the data intensive apps on my phone. Manually killing backround apps was the best way to improve battery life. Overall, I miss the flip phone days of not charging my phone for a week.

gadawgs2601
posted on 21 Dec 2011, 15:11 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)

Ok phone

gadawgs2601 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I purchased this to replace my original Droid; while the X2 is an improvement over such a dinosaur...I really expected better. I've had to download several apps to compensate for poor quality apps on the phone. Wish it were unlocked / rooted so that I could remove the pre-installed software.
No matter what app I've tried.....the camera still sucks.

Build quality 2/10 phone over heats, locks up, and randomly shuts down
Reception 9/10 Always has a good signal
Call quality 9/10 No problems with call quality
Internet 8/10 Internet works pretty well, best with wi-fi though.
Camera 2/10 Not impressed
UI speed 5/10 Downloaded EX Launcher - helped some
Text input 6/10 Rather frustrating. Downloaded SwiftKey X Keyboard - helped some.
Display 8/10 Like the larger screen; would like to resolution like the iPhone though
Battery 6/10 Battery has good days & bad. Downloaded Juice Defender to help.

Pros

• Screen size
  • HDMI port
  • Google Maps / Navigation

Cons

• OVERHEATING!!!!!!!!
  • Random shutdown

gadawgs2601 alternatives:

c.hack
posted on 02 Dec 2011, 14:31 (Posts: 496; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)

Disappointed

c.hack has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

VZW upgraded me to the DX2 after my DX kept crashing after the GB upgrade. As it turns out the cause was the initial GB releases from Motorola - the DX2 would crash at least daily also. The GB patch from Moto in October fixed the stability issues after much pain.

The phone can be rooted, but the bootloader is locked so it is hard to customize.

I compared the DX and DX2 screens side by side. The DX2 is much brighter but noticeably pixelated. When using small red or green fonts (like many of my widgets) the pixelation made them unreadable.

I also noticed that even with dual cores, live wallpaper makes screen response sluggish.

This was a disappointing phone

Pros:
- Large, bright screen
- Great reception
- Solid build and don't even need a case
- Turn by turn nav

Cons:
- Unstable
- Locked bootloader
- Poor quality screen
- May not get ICS upgrade (may already be obsolete)
- poor camera

Camera 3/10 slow, poor quality camera
Display 4/10 Bright but pixelated

asrr62
posted on 26 Jan 2012, 05:03 (Posts: 31; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)

Decent phone

asrr62 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

the droid x2 is a pretty good phone. it may not be the most durable phone out there. very speedy, there is never any lag with this phone. the build quality isn't the best though, the digitizer is coming up around the bottom of the screen. The screen is pentile so it is not the best display on the market, it trails when you scroll down a page and certain colors look bad.

Pros

• tegra 2 is speedy

Cons

• VZW bloatware
  • Buttons are not capacitive
  • Display is not as good as it could be

nighttime2
posted on 27 Jul 2011, 12:12 (Posts: 0; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)

Ok Phone... Has several issues though.

nighttime2 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone has lots of features..... Unfortunately, Motorola went for quantity over quality when it comes to them. Photos are fuzzy if you use the zoom feature at all, even on the highest quality setting. The UI reaction time has a lag which is annoying sometimes. I have personalized ringtones set for different people, and it will often play the wrong ringtone for people. Sometimes when choosing a contact from the recently called list, it will bring up the wrong contact. The swype feature is cool... When it works right. You have to keep an eye on what you type on the screen though, as the auto-correct will change your entire message if you're not carefuI. I think it is a very buggy phone, and needs better software, firmware, or both. Very sorry I bought it, as other Droids have far better reviews.

Pros

• Big Screen, Lots of Features.

Cons

• Laggy, Poor UI Software/Firmware

anarkie
posted on 18 Jul 2011, 08:49 (Posts: 48; Member since: 28 Jan 2009)

It's Going Back

anarkie has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

As a precursor: I've had the Original X since launch day and have never had such a strong, reliable, smartphone. My fiancee was having problems with her phone, so I figured I'd upgrade and give her my trusty, awesome, X. What better replacement for me, than a dual-core, monster upgrade, right?

I was wrong. I know many X2 users are happy with their phones, and that is awesome. I just can't be one.

My first X2 overheated so much (unplugged) that it irritated a burn on my hand from 4 hours before. It went back. The second one froze up too many times, and the radio seemed weaker. Shipped back. The third, I was prepared to enjoy. Until I used the camera. There was a tiny dark smudge on the internal lens.

Verizon is doing me right and allowing me to switch up. Droid3, here I come.

That said, if I take away the issues, here's my take:
Screen: Great, just make sure you don't view it too close (Pentile) and you'll enjoy it.
Battery Life: Great, on par with teh original X, if not, a little better.
Speed: Yep, it's there, however, the motoblur can sometimes require a longer redraw than desired
OS: 2.2?!?! Probably one of the reasons it's not fully performing. 2.3.4 is the release that is supposed to support dual-core on the OS level. I'll know when I get the Droid 3 tomorrow.
Camera: A hair better than the original X
Signal: disappointingly weaker than the original X.

Pros

• Awesome, Solid build/design
  • Great for Gaming
  • Higher res screen makes for great web
  • Powerful, fast processor

Cons

• Motoblur redraws
  • Production issues
  • Weaker Signal than Original

anarkie alternatives:

WD40
posted on 12 Jul 2011, 08:55 (Posts: 18; Member since: 21 Oct 2009)

Good all around phone

WD40 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Switching to this off of the Thunderbolt (Terrible battery life & poor reception).

Strange, the first few days, the battery wouldn't last through the day. Now I can get 3 days sometimes! Haven't had that kinda battery life since the Nokia 6015i :-). Overall I love the phone. The reception is the best I have had. The screen is huge and looks great, yet the phone is very slim and fits well in my pocket. Visually, the phone looks cool. I am glad Motorola removed the camera button. They have made big improvements on Blur. I still prefer stock Android. The phone is VERY fast and I love all the accessories that go with it (car mount, desktop cradle, HDMI cable).

I wish Blur came with better calendar and messaging widgets. The camera is not very good. I have a problem getting it to focus and there is a delay when taking pictures. I also wish it had a front facing camera. I hope the make a Droid X3 with 4G.

tagalong2004
posted on 09 Jul 2011, 22:42

Keeps locking up.

tagalong2004 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Phone is freezing up, shutting down, wont connect to bluetooth, and cant hear my phone calls but on speaker phone only until i take batter out. Have to take battery out like 3 times a day to reset. Other features are good. Just unhappy with the phone due to the flaws. Verizon did a master reset and it worked for a couple days just fine but them started messing up again. And its not what I downloaded to it because I didnt download anything to it at that time.

Pros

Cons

• locks up, camera, 3g,

Eugene7897
posted on 27 Jun 2011, 17:48

Great well built phone

Eugene7897 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Had A Droid Incredible 2 for a week. Traded it in on this.Incredible2 cant hold a candle to the Droid X2. Bluetooth in my car wouldnt work with Incredible2, plus poor reception, and terrible battery life right from the start.I have expierienced none of those problems with the X2.

Pros

• Build quality, internet, display

Cons

• nothing so far

cpremmn
posted on 21 Jun 2011, 09:11

Good Phone But Needs More Work

cpremmn has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got me a Droid X2 as a replacement for Droid X (was having serious audio problem during calls). Honestly, I think it is a good phone and not the greatest. The dual core processor needs further update to reduce lag time in opening apps and downloading internet contents. Importantly, the qHD display somewhat produces nearly washed out photos and media playing experience. I think if these two could be corrected in a future software update then we would be saying otherwise.

Build quality 8/10 perfect metallic handle makes carry it comfortable.
Reception 7/10 pretty neat and plain.
Call quality 10/10 clear and distinct
Multimedia 5/10 washed out and color unstable.
Camera 5/10 not sharp and clear
UI speed 8/10 still lagging.
Everyday usage 9/10 can withstand heavy usage.
Text input 10/10 easy and responsive.
Display 10/10 clear and penetrating.
Battery 10/10 excellent and long lasting.

Pros

• penetrating call quality, excellent display, improved UI and performance.

Cons

• media player output washed out streaming videos and camera photo display unstable color after a shot is taken.

Unhappy Customer
posted on 17 Jun 2011, 13:39

Very Unhappy with phone

Unhappy Customer has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

It is not much different than the original X. Phone locks on me and I cannot unlock it. I've had to bring it back to Verizon a couple times because of this problem. It is a very big inconvenience when it will not unlock, not to mention unreliable. Also does not have a front camera which I wish it had.

insp
posted on 05 Jun 2011, 04:52

Motorola Droid X2 - Excellent

insp has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I've had the Droid X2 for a few weeks now running it through it's paces and have been very happy with my findings. I don't have 4G in my area and don't expect it anytime soon so that is not a factor. The lack of a front facing camera for video chatting is no loss for me, more of a gimmick. Overall the phone is fast with good battery life, a very pleasant screen, and well designed user interface.

Pros

• Reception, Excellent
  • Sound Quality, Excellent
  • Screen, very nice with a superior viewing angle in all lighting conditions
  • Build, feels solid
  • Battery, very good...haven't found the short battery life that others have complained about.

Cons

• Camera is a little disappointing, pictures seem a little washed out

trini-s2k
posted on 24 May 2011, 18:27

Droid X2 review

trini-s2k has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Ok i got my DX2 in the mail today, now mind you i had the DX1 before, its not a great up grade to it but definitely a good one, just by browing through the phone the speed is noticeable the qhd screen is brilliant ,texting is so responsive and fast,moto blur is nice i like the little change is the phone, its definitely a great phone , minor things why they lowered the memory card is beyond me and they should of def added the front facing camera , other then that im happy!!

Pros

• Dual Core , updated moto blur, camera responsiveness and the texting responsiveness, and the screen resolution!

Cons

• Less memory then da DX1 and no front facing camera!

DJORDAN
posted on 21 May 2011, 10:10 (Posts: 0; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)

Droid X2 - Not Bad MOTO

DJORDAN has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Nice phone! Fast and good battery life, 14 hours of hard use and battery still 30%. Sold Tbolt to buy and I'm very pleased. Front camera would have been nice but no deal breaker most front cameras over rated anyway. Don't miss the four 4g of the Tbolt, it "s fast but not reliable. I carried four batteries for the Tbolt and used three daily. Nice job MOTO but where's the BIONIC?

Pros

• Entire phone!

Cons

• Front camera and Gingerbread

DJORDAN alternatives: