x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
Motorola DROID RAZR Discussions
  • Options
    Close

Li-ion battery vs Li-Polymer battery

dakim 18 Oct 2011, 14:45 posted on

i noticed that the razr has a lithium polymer battery
while other phones had the lithium ion battery.
can someone tell me the difference of these different batteries?

posted on 24 Oct 2011, 08:34

1. mattstermind (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)

the lithium polymer battery has thinner cells, so it is easier to use when making a thin phone, the cells are roughly only a mm thick

posted on 13 Nov 2011, 14:52

2. abdane (Posts: 477; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)

Lithium ion batteries have a greater energy capacity than lithium polymer batteries, so in devices that have higher current requirements, lithium ion batteries are preferred. In applications where size is paramount, lithium polymer is the choice. Lithium ion batteries are also cheaper to manufacture than lithium polymer batteries, so when cost is a factor, lithium ion is the choice.

posted on 08 Nov 2014, 13:48

4. jpartlow32 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 May 2013)

Good info abdane. However, to say lithium-ion has more capacity is not necessarily true. Generally, li-polymer batteries are made with higher capacity (mah). Additionally, the coefficient factors of the li-polymer hold higher potentials. Of course, the downside is that li-polymers have a potential to catch fire when punctured or the cells are exposed to air.
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer​_battery_substance_or_hype

posted on 18 Feb 2012, 16:51

3. tractor (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)

Lithium Polymer batteries are moldable, so they can be shaped to fit the form of the phone, as opposed to the other way around. They are also significantly more expensive, which is one reason most companies don't use them.

I had a Nokia 6310i many years ago that had a li-poly battery, and that thing lasted 1-2 weeks with average usage. Of course it was a monochrome dumbphone. When I used a similar or higher rated mAh battery (Back then you could swap many Nokia batteries easily) that was a lithium-ion battery, it never lasted as long.
Not to mention the li-poly battery was ridiculously light and thin.

I think with 4G and smartphones replacing longer-lasting dumphones, many companies will realize the benefits of li-poly. It is amazing to me that Nokia knew this 10 years ago. I actually miss the quick, user-friendly interface of those phones sometimes. lol

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Buy Accessories

Latest stories