Motorola DROID MAXX User Reviews

Display9.8/10
Text input9.7/10
UI speed9.4/10

rickstheman
posted on 16 Jul 2014, 18:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)

Best Smartphone Available

rickstheman has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Bought this phone month after it was available. And even with the couple of software bugs (everything today has bugs,) I love this phone. Moto has done a fair job fixing bugs and done an excellent job updating Android OS to latest release. Running Kitkat 4.4.4 as of the writing of this review.

Build quality 10/10 Phone is solidly built and has a quality feel.
Call quality 10/10 Calls are clear and I can't remember last time I had a dropped call
Internet 10/10 Wifi and 4G switch back and forth quickly even in the middle of downloads from internet.
Camera 10/10 Easy to use, Good pictures and video
UI speed 10/10 No lag responds quickly
Everyday usage 10/10 It has become indespensable in my daily routine
Battery 10/10 Use my phone all day long and still have 40 to 50 percent left at end of day

• Screen colors and brightness
  • It does it ALL

jckc92
posted on 29 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Posts: 25; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)

Almost perfect

jckc92 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Got this phone to replace my S4. I have no regrets. Didn't use half the gimmicks on the S4. This phone has features you actually use in day to day living. I use the touchless controls to schedule appointments all the time with 90% perfection. When driving and someone texts me it reads it aloud and I can also reply back W/O even touching the phone which should be standard in all phones for safety reasons. The only problem with this phone is that it when connected to Bluetooth in the car it rings when someone calls and plays my music library over the speakers but it doesn't answer my texts when it is hooked up to bluetooth and the GPS doesn't give me turn by turn directions!! I called Motorola and told them this and they said it is probably you Bluetooth and I told them it was a 2014 car and maybe they should fix this problem. The build quality is solid compared to my old cheap/plastic feeling S4. The screen size is good but I would even take a 4.7" to make it carry better. This carries OK but sometimes I wish they would stop building bigger phones! OK, now here is the only downside to this phone. I wish the camera was on par with the S4 or Nokia 928 ( own this too) . It is OK for basic photos but considering I love taking pictures it could be better. Don't say to by a dedicated camera either I have 2 and the phone is on me 24/7 so I would like a better camera..

Pros

• Call quality
  • Big battery
  • Touch-less controls

kanagadeepan
posted on 17 Mar 2014, 02:00 (Posts: 690; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)

My DroidMAXX Review

kanagadeepan has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The only phone which is better than this one is Developer-Edition of this phone... Buy it, you will never regret it (if root is NOT a must for you).

Great display with nice non-pentile 720p resolution, Nice big-enough screen, best in class battery, good build quality, and all goodness of Moto X (except the on-screen keys)...

Build quality 10/10 Of course Build Quality is second to NONE...
Reception 10/10 good
Call quality 10/10 No Worries here...
Internet 10/10 I think there is No need to explain this
Multimedia 10/10 Very good loud, I mean really loud loud-speaker...
Camera 10/10 Best Camera in Motorola, EVER
UI speed 10/10 as smooth as anything, may be thanks to 2Gigs of RAM and stock KK UI
Text input 10/10 Big screen is helping here...
Display 10/10 Non Pentile 720p HD display i anyday better than Pentile FHD display, imho...
Battery 10/10 Obvious reason for buying this beast

Pros

• Overall best phone in perfect size...

Cons

• Locked BL, no storage expansion and NO ROOT till now

ogabinary
posted on 19 Jan 2014, 16:17 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)

How does the DROID MAXX work in countries outside the America(Verizon) like Nigeria

ogabinary has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have the choice of selecting the iPhone 5s, the HTC one or the DROID MAXX,

But what i've been hearing is that the DROID MAXX is a CDMA-only phone and since it's tied only to the verizon network in the USA, i was wondering how you guys were able to unlock it and use it in India.

I live in Nigeria and require a SuperSmartphone that can last me a full day at least without having to run around looking for a power supply outlet.

If this phone can last me a good fullday without charging and doing lots of emails , my Lumia 920 goes to the butcher. its battery is pathetic and it oveheats.

Build quality 10/10 the kevlar body build
Call quality 10/10 supports a good number of bands
Internet 10/10 It supports the highest 3G, HSDPA speeds.
Battery 10/10 48 hours.

Pros

• Heard that the battery can last a full 2 days
  • The google voice feature

tpkidd3
posted on 28 Dec 2013, 15:18 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)

As close to perfection as any smartphone.

tpkidd3 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The MAXX is in a very rarified class of smartphone some are calling superphones. It has a few peers. Compare them all carefully. Top quality in every way. At this quality it will come to personal preference.

Build quality 10/10 The phone feels solid, The kevlar body and gorilla glass screen both feel indestructible. (but I'm sure they aren't)
Reception 9/10 Still occasionally, but rarely, need to cycle in and out of airplane mode to recapture network. Usually only when coming out of metro or another place with no coverage.
Call quality 10/10 Who uses their smartphone phone as a phone anymore? Anyway, the sound is clear and the speakerphone loud. What more can I say.
UI speed 9/10 Android has a 'stickyness' that is a bit annoying. It can't be the hardware, all Android devices do it. Hard to explain but fellow Droids know what I mean.
Everyday usage 10/10 The battery makes this phone. No more worries about running out of juice.
Text input 10/10 With SmartKeyboard installed, text entry is a dream.
Display 10/10 Very bright, 720 is more than enough for any screen less than 32". And 5" is less than 32". Can't tell any difference between it and 1080 smartphones. And to me, this screen looks better than those with higher resolution.
Battery 10/10 It is why you buy the MAXX over the Ultra. The battery is great.

Pros

• This is one of the most solid phones I've ever held.
  • Qi wireless charging.

Cons

• Really wish there was a user accessible battery. Only time will tell.

rrlrobert
posted on 30 Oct 2013, 20:15 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)

Could be improved

rrlrobert has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I paid $300 for it hoping for the best on the market. The only thing it is best at is battery. I also own the S4 and HTC One. The sound is louder than the S4 and One but the sound is better on the One. The one is also designed better and more organized for the user. The S4 has more software features. The MAXX has significantly less accessories than the others...Less case option, less screen protectors, etc... but is a good phone overall, but not worth the price.

• Kevlar back
  • Moto active display

Cons

• Heavy
  • Rear facing speaker
  • Not a lot of accessories yet
  • Nano sim card

rrlrobert alternatives:

mattkl
posted on 23 Oct 2013, 15:32 (Posts: 174; Member since: 01 Feb 2010)

The best.

mattkl has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had to decide between this and the LG G2 and went with this since it just works better. I like some of the toys on the others like the S4, but I need a phone with features I use. With the S4 and G2 the only time I used their toy features is when I was showing them to people, I never actually used them in real day to day use. The Droid Maxx I find I don't have too much to show off to people, but I use the features of this phone all the time. Shake to wake up camera is used a lot since I don't always know when I want to snap a picture, awesome. Touchless controls, active notifications, yes please. I don't think I will be able to have a phone in the future without these useful features. Battery, come on, the best in a phone. Best phone with the best performance, when compared to LG G2 and S4.

Also love the exclusivity of this phone. Since most kids choose their phone based on paper stats and not how the phone actually performs is a plus to us who do hands on research. I enjoy having a phone that most of my friends don't, as well as a phone that infuriates my 2 LG G2 owning friends when it works everytime, and for longer. My LG G2 now is setup as a wifi security cam.

Pros

• Exclusive
  • Super fast
  • Long Battery
  • Amazing gaming
  • Superior to my LG G2
  • Touchless control
  • Few gimmicks
  • Exceptionally durable
  • Active notifications
  • Speaker is definitely on par with the HTC One (front facing would be better though)

Cons

• Bootup sound effects
  • Rear facing speaker

mattkl alternatives:

Eodsgt24
posted on 06 Oct 2013, 08:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Oct 2013)

Best Phone yet have had them ALL. Motorola has entered the game.

Eodsgt24 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is great, battery life is better than stated. UI is awesome, kills the lagging S4. Build quality is bar none. If you use your phone for email this is your phone, swipe delete is best tool ever!

Build quality 10/10 kevlar back, has substance unlike the feathers out there.
Multimedia 10/10 Speaker system is up there with HTC one.
Camera 9/10 10 mp could use the standard 13mp out there but not missing by alot.
UI speed 10/10 NO LAG
Everyday usage 10/10 Favorite phone to this point was the Note 2 this is better. Have not tried Note 3 yet.
Display 10/10 No difference in the display than S4 I know the benchmarks say different but not to the naked eye.
Battery 10/10 No comparison!

• UI
  • Speaker

Delasangre4231
posted on 14 Sep 2013, 00:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)

Best phone for me!

Delasangre4231 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is seriously powerful, I can't get it to lag or slow down. Battery is 60-50% after a day of hard YouTube and web browsing and even some turn by turn. The soft touch kevlar back is way nicer then the glossy one on the ultra and I'm not worried with gorilla glass.

Build quality 10/10 Gorilla glass never failed me once on my Droid Bionic so its proven itself to me. Also carbon fiber/Kevlar? Solid as a rock.

• Screen size
  • Thin/thickness
  • Sharp camera
  • Cpu speed

Cons

• No sd slot
  • No hard button for menu or search

spiral777
posted on 24 Oct 2013, 06:56 (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)

solid phone

spiral777 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

the battery really does last about 2 days with regular usage. the kevlar also feels very comfortable. the ability of the phone to detect when i am in my car is rather uncanny...but impressive. the touchless control is also very reliable. also no lag what-so-ever.
This gets rid of the boot up sounds... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.​antweb.silentboot&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoog​le%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dplay+store+​silent+boot

Pros

• 2 day battery life
  • very smooth ui
  • kevlar covering

Cons

• no micro sd card slot