Motorola DROID 4 User Reviews

Display5.7/10
Text input7.4/10
Everyday usage6.3/10

aromatic_rings
posted on 09 Oct 2013, 11:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)

Not worth the hassle

aromatic_rings has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I wouldn't waste my money on this phone. I think it was released too soon because of all the problems I've read online. I've had 5 of these phones in less than 2 years. I want able to finish my 2 year contract because of the issues, I had to take my mom's upgrade to get a Galaxy s4. The common problems I've experienced with this phone were the battery never fully charging or saying is charging when the battery number goes down, no 4G at all, calls randomly being dropped, inability to do anything requiring data when making a phone call, and sometimes screen doesn't recognize finger.

Build quality 9/10 Its a little bulky, but the build is fine.
Reception 5/10 After the upgrade, my phone forever dropped to 3g. Not that is bad, I can still make calls, but I'm paying for 4g and only getting 3g. But the main problem is whenever I make a call, I cannot do anything else because there is no service. It's weird, I can call someone, but I can't surf the Internet nor can I sent/receive texts.
Call quality 6/10 My call is sometimes randomly dropped.
Internet 6/10 Slow because of 3G. I'm in a 4G area, but I can't achieve this.
Multimedia 7/10 Multimedia is fine.
Camera 8/10 Cameras great.
UI speed 5/10 Sometimes it doesn't recognize my finger. That's annoying.
Everyday usage 1/10 I've had more problems with this phone than any other phone I've had. It's not practical for me to deal with this phone everyday with all the bugs.
Text input 6/10 It's ok. At least once a week, my phone thinks I'm pushing some weird button, when I'm texting sentences.
Battery 1/10 Awful! I've had 5 of these phones in almost 2 years, 3 of them have been returned due to the battery not fully charging. My phone indicates charge, but the battery goes down. I go to bed with 20% and I'll wake up with 10%.

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• Battery refusing to charge
  • Recent upgrade caused no more 4G
  • Inability to multitask when making a phone call
  • Slow Internet (probably because of 3G)

aromatic_rings alternatives:

shiroken11
posted on 15 Apr 2013, 17:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Apr 2013)

Solid Phone

shiroken11 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Coming from a history that included the Samsung Intercept and Evo 4G V (Virgin Mobile), this was a definite upgrade in my world. My first impression was how solid the phone felt in my hand, it wasn't huge but it wasn't tiny either. The keyboard slid out with ease, and yet still felt like it would stay attached for years to come. I can't stress this enough, this keyboard ROCKS!!!

Overall usage has been positive, with a few annoyances in the camera app (and recently the clock app [missing timers/stopwatch]). Motorola's additions are actually welcome here, especially Smart Actions. External storage is a plus as well. Mind the display, it's not HD nor does it handle outside lighting too well. Yes, you'll survive, but don't plan on getting the same display quality.

Build quality 10/10 The Droid 4 has a solid feel in one's hand. The keyboard slide after 4 months is still moving well (not too loose nor too stiff).
Reception 8/10 Good reception, but sometimes will drop to 3G if connection isn't as great (hey, at least it's something right?)
Call quality 9/10 Call quality has been the best I've had yet. The speakerphone is quite clear and volume levels can actually achieve "loudness"
Internet 8/10 I love the default browser in this phone, even more so than Google Chrome for Android. However, it can get a little bogged down, so watch the tabs...
Multimedia 8/10 Good sound playback, pretty good video as well, default music app is okay.
Camera 8/10 Good quality, but a bit of lag between button and actual photo shot.
UI speed 9/10 Very zippy. Not a lot of lag from screen to screen. Can get bogged down, but it takes some doing. 4.1 makes this phone pretty smooth.
Everyday usage 10/10 Everything works well and is intuitive. -1 for losing my timer/stopwatch from the clock app. +1 for the Motorola Smart Actions.
Text input 10/10 Excellent backlit keyboard! The keys are light enough for fast typing, but solid to withstand such.
Display 7/10 Not a humungous display, but it's good enough. Angles are decent, but it does start to suffer outside. Higher screen lighting will help though.
Battery 8/10 Battery is pretty good, I can use it moderately for a work day and have enough for light usage for the rest of the day (8 - 5, then 6 - 10).

Pros

• Slide-out keyboard
  • Jelly Bean (4.1)
  • Motorola Enhancements
  • Dual-core CPU

LaurenTaylor20
posted on 09 Feb 2013, 03:06 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Feb 2013)

Worst Phone I've Ever Had. Do. Not. Buy.

LaurenTaylor20 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This phone is ridiculous. I've never had a phone worse than this one. I can't believe I was so stupid to switch from Apple to Motorolla. Worst. Mistake. Ever. This phone crashes every few minutes, will not stay connected to apps without saying "...app is not responding. Would you like to close it?" No, I don't want to close it. I want to throw you into the Ohio River. The keyboard is literally the only thing that is acceptable.
The camera is so low quality and I hate it. It's shadowy and the pixels are not clear no matter how well of light I'm in.
It drops calls so often that I would rather just die than call anybody. Same with texting, so the phone is basically useless.
The internet also crashes/freezes every time I open anything up.
There is no simple "save to camera roll" icon. I have to screenshot every picture that I didn't take or was sent to me via text message.
The headphone jack has successfully blew out my $200 Skullcandy's THREE TIMES. (I bought three pairs from three different stores and they still all blew out.)
The battery dies every hour or so and they won't give me a new battery even though I bought insurance.
The video quality is lame and my video never saves once I take one.
Every time my phone turns off from either dead battery or I get so frustrated with it that I shut it off because it freezes nonstop, all of my contact information is deleted.
My Backup Assistant never works, so I have to keep everything on a hard drive.
My text messages constantly delete...

Build quality 2/10 It's ridiculous to not have an extractable battery and a "key" for your own phone. Stupid.

Pros

• QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• Camera sucks.
  • Phone has too many glitches and it shouldn't have been released.
  • Battery isn't removable.
  • Everything else

agarcia820
posted on 23 Sep 2012, 21:46 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Sep 2012)

Not worth crap

agarcia820 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

WORST UPDATE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! ICS Ruined this phone. Slow, Laggy, Forecloses Homescreen and every other app constantly, goes black, resets, power button is terrible. Keyboard is amazing, that's about it. Never want another Motorola AGAIN

Build quality 2/10 Bulky and heavy
Reception 10/10 Verizon 4G LTE is top
Camera 10/10 Good Camera
UI speed 1/10 Lags and forecloses on every app including the homescreen and settings
Text input 4/10 Good Keyboard
Display 1/10 Bad coloration and bad graphics
Battery 1/10 Doesnt even last a day

Pros

Cons

• Everything else

agarcia820 alternatives:

Droidude
posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:36 (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Jul 2010)

ICS made the Droid 4 a pretty great phone.

Droidude has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I got this phone just before ICS hit and it kind of sucked. With ICS the phone has become much more competent. I can forgive the awful screen. Overall the phone is a good fit for me. The camera is decent and the hardware keyboard is the best one out there. It feels great in the hand and the OS is very speedy. I downloaded ICS Browser + since Chrome is great but a little buggy sometimes. The front camera is good for video chats. I use the phone for home and work and it serves me well. If it had a better screen and an external camera button and a better camera sensor, I would be very happy.

Build quality 9/10 Phone feels sold, very easy to hold in hand.
Reception 10/10 Motorola's always have great reception
Call quality 10/10 Motorola's always have clear calls.
Internet 10/10 Faster with ICS, Love the ICS + browser.
Multimedia 10/10 This phone is a great task master
Camera 7/10 Camera quality got an upgrade with ICS, still lags behind camera sensor in the Galaxy Nexus
UI speed 10/10 Very speedy on the move. Easy to remove open items.
Everyday usage 10/10 Easy to use overall. Size is just right,,
Text input 10/10 Fantastic with the hardware keyboard. Best one available.
Display 6/10 The only letdown with this phone. The screen is so-so and ghosts. Somehow with ICS it seems a little sharper, but no where near the Galaxy Nexus or Razr Maxx.
Battery 7/10 Average for this phone. With little use it's easy to get through the day. Use it hard and it will die in 5 - 6 hours.

Pros

• Great size, sick keyboard, call quality, ICS.

Cons

• Battery life, camera sensor could be better. No hard camera button.

Wolfgang
posted on 04 Jan 2014, 13:20 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)

Best full-keyboard Android phone

Wolfgang has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Ever since my LG Voyager, full-keyboard phones have been my favorite. I'm in the minority, but I digress. Foremost, the Droid 4's keyboard is a breeze to use; the keys are smooth and slick which allow for rapid typing. More importantly, it has an 8 megapixel camera which is on par with most newer phones. The camera also shoots in 1080p and has many different options as well. That being said: this phone is practically plastic and requires a case as an absolute necessity.

The recent Android 4.0 update to this phone has made it even better. I find it performs very well while multi-tasking between Facebook, web browsing, and playing music. Contrary to the review below mine, you can most definitely multi-task while on a call with this phone.

If you want the functionality of a computer, than this is your phone.

Battery 6/10 Battery life is low as a result of the TFT display. Turning the brightness down will greatly improve battery life, though.

Pros

Cons

• Flimsy Back

saraskeen
posted on 29 Sep 2013, 17:07 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)

HORRIBLE DROID 4

saraskeen has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

THE WORST PHONE I EVER HAD!!! SO ANGRY VERIZON WOULD SELL THIS TO GOOD CUSTOMERS! There is a flaw in staying connected to data... 90% of the time no connection! Text messages come back unsent, calls dropped etc. Why have it???? I threw it in a drawer and BOUGHT a DROID 3 WHICH IS AMAZING! It died the other day do I hooked up the droid 4 hoping it has improved! IT HAS NOT! I AM SO ANGRY FOR WASTING HARD EARNED MONEY ON A PIECE OF CRAP!

Build quality 1/10 seems normal
Reception 1/10 HORRIBLE! I seem to have none no matter where I am.. My first droid in the middle of no where worked.. but NOT DROID 4!!!
Call quality 1/10 I guess its normal
Internet 1/10 NEVER have internet and I even have it on data roaming and still it works like crap. Again in the middle of no where my first droid was great... not droid 4
Multimedia 1/10 Sound could be better
Camera 1/10 Was the best thing until it crapped out after a month
Everyday usage 1/10 I am looking for another droid 1
Text input 1/10 input? i dont know
Display 1/10 good
Battery 1/10 horrible lasts 2 hours and that is me not even using it. I put it in my purse at work .. and it is stupid that you can't take the battery out

Pros

• keyboard

Cons

• the entire phone!

emburybrett
posted on 27 Apr 2012, 16:17 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)

Great Keyboard

emburybrett has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got tgis phone about two weeks ago and love it for the most part. I love the keyboard but hate the screen. I came from the Razr Maxx so im not sure about the battery as the Maxx had more then 2X then the Droid but with a quick charge im good. The screen is not the best it has some lag to it and motorola knows it then just dont want to fix it.

Camera 8/10 Front FaceCam sucks

• Reception
  • Ui Speed

emburybrett alternatives:

mas11
posted on 03 Apr 2012, 14:21 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)

Amazing QWERTY Phone

mas11 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Honestly the only issue I have with this phone is battery life, I will get about a full day with mild to moderate use, but i prefer the Droid Razr Maxx's 3300 mAh battery for heavy usage. Overall it's the king of qwerty phones and runs smoothy.

Pros

• Best Keyboard Ever!!!
  • 4G Lte is Fast
  • 1.2 Ghz Processor
  • 1 GB DDR2 RAM

Cons

• Needs a better Display
  • Non-Removable Battery could be larger

mas11 alternatives:

bbadger187
posted on 16 Feb 2012, 06:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)

Fast, stylish, and of course, a FULL QWERTY Keyboard!

bbadger187 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I purchased the Motorola Droid 4, the day it was released. My very first 4g LTE phone, and I was blown away by the transfer speeds. Not only does data transfer fast, in both directions, but the phone itself is very fast. I previously owned the Droid 3, so I basically have been staying that this is the Droid 3, on steroids. The 4 inch display is more than adequate for surfing the web, and for basic operations of the phone. It does have an HDMI port, so plugging it in to my big TV worked like a champ, allowing me to watch movies, full screen and in HD.

The phone isn't perfect. When using the 4G LTE network for anything more than just small bursts of data, the phone will get warm. I was streaming a movie on to my TV, and the phone was very warm. The other thing that wasn't the greatest at first, is of course the battery. I was able to root the phone, and with the right software, was able to remove the bloatware that comes installed on all Verizon phones. When I'm not using the phone, and it's just idle, the battery lasts all day. I can almost use it as much as I was using the Droid 3. Battery life is based on 4G LTE usage.

The full QWERTY keyboard makes texting, typing emails, and surfing the web a breeze. I couldn't live with a phone with just an onscreen keyboard, and this is by far, the BEST keyboard I have seen to date.

Display 9/10 There are phones with bigger displays, and this isn't super AMOLED.

thebanana
posted on 16 Feb 2012, 03:08 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)

Droid 4, expectations

thebanana has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

When I bought my Hummer with its 6.0L V8, I expected to save gas and get good mpg. Silly, right? Come back to me when you find a ferrari running top speed at all time that gets good MPG.

The biggest complaints are users who expect a 4G LTE phone to run on 12+ hours of battery. Every phone is different, with whatever we program the phone to use or have active. By no means is the D4 a fabulous phone on battery, but it is a big upgrade from a D1 or D2. If you NEED to have a 4G with a keyboard, this is the phone for you. Otherwise, stick to a D3 if you have it, its much easier on the battery that is also changeable.

I am no expert and not a very needy person, so I have no real complaints. Its a phone with a physical keyboard that also runs on 4G. I bought this phone for those very reasons. The screen does not suck as bad as others have deducted. I don't expect my phone to have the power as my gaming desk top with its massive screen and graphic card. The camera on this phone is still crappy as the previous version. Lags and takes forever to snap shot.

If you are wondering how long the battery last heres an example: 1AM-7AM no charge, running on lowest setting with background sync off - 80% life left. Thats a huge downer for a phone that is not even active to lose so much. Probably the 17?? mhz battery to blame. Probably the 4G that I didnt change to CDMA only to save battery when I am not using 4G.

Build quality 9/10 IMO, losing that lip at the bottom from D1-3 is a big plus.
Internet 10/10 Sometimes... its better than my dsl at home.
Camera 5/10 Its crappy. Not speedy.

Pros

• Physical keyboard
  • 4G speed

Cons

• Battery life, to be expected
  • non-removable battery

Lurker2
posted on 14 Feb 2012, 15:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)

Two DOAs, Never again

Lurker2 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I couldn't wait to buy the new Droid 4, having had and loved my Droid 2 for well over a year. I read the reviews and since I love having a physical keyboard, I was very excited.

My first Droid 4 ran down its battery, despite tweaking everything to maximize the life, in only a few hours. Tech support deemed it DOA with a bad battery, and sent me to the store to swap it out. The store told me to only expect 3-4 hours between charges - are you kidding???? I finally got them to swap it out. Frustrating, since not only did I waste hours customizing the phone, but I also wasted hours jumping through Verizon hoops. Including VZW managers who seemed shocked to learn this phone doesn't have a removable battery. Really???

My second Droid 4 has slightly better battery life, although low-moderate usage requires a mid-day recharge if I don't want to risk a dead phone by evening. My Droid 2 had better battery life, and at least I could carry a spare with me on that phone.

The biggest problem is that this phone is buggy as hell. I programmed custom ringtones (which worked fine on the first Droid 4 I had - the bad battery one). Once I turned it off and back on, they were all reset to the factory tone. I went through this issue with tech, did a soft reset, deleted all my ringtones and reinstalled, reassigned them... and same thing again. It also won't let me assign bookmark widgets (it does a full-screen weird thing that tech can't explain), and I'm sure there are other things too.

So...

Pros

• Keyboard is wonderful

Cons

• Battery is beyond awful
  • Phone is buggy and not ready for release
  • Screen sucks