Motorola DROID 2 User Reviews

Reception7.2/10
Display7.6/10

Alex
posted on 11 Aug 2011, 07:55

Have had this since november and i love it!

Alex has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Got this in November of 2010 and still use it cause its amazing!
IDK about every one else saying internet is laggy and stuff like that but to me its the opposite i guess its just luck with your phone and how you treat it!
Also why i REALLY love this phone its cause you can root it and have free high speed wifi :D
calling is not the best but better then some of my old phones, but i mean this is a txting phone more then a calling :/
People say it lags but i guess those are just people new to phones i mean i go back to black and whites which i still found ways to enjoy.
One down i found is that i have to turn off the phone when i download music from any source :/
Camera is awesome i mean its not the Xperia Ray 8 MegaPixels but still awesome
display gets oily from my fingers but thats just the protection not a screen problem
Cases break easily though but thats cause theres no way to make a good case for it and no way to improve the design of the phone without making it even bigger (gave up with cases after my 3rd one)
Also while in a case for a long time it gets these little scratches which people told me was sweat collected on it
Display is great especially compared to in iPhone :)
Internet speed is awesome iPhone is a bit faster on that though (Verizon)
Overall AMAZING phone!
battery seems to empty somewhat fast in some situations but charges like a boss

Pros

• TOO MANY TO LIST

Cons

• cant use cases much, battery and the fact that it wont break XD

reasonableguy
posted on 20 Jul 2011, 23:32

a mistake to have gotten it

reasonableguy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

1 - Flash, but no Netflix - 10 points
2- Skype, but no Video Chat - 5 points
3 - Android, but not upgradeable to newer version - 5 points
4 - Slide out physical keyboard + 5 points
5 - Bluetooth, but not compatible with my car's speakerphone (every other bluetooth phone has worked) -20
6 - two replacements in first 7 months - 10 points

tasha
posted on 05 Jul 2011, 11:14

not the best and first smartphone ive had

tasha has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Not impressed with the lagging internet speed it performed. Keyboard started to take wear and tear. Very spazzy and sensitive off and on, and roughly only a month later my camera randomly went blurry and couldn't be fixed. The positive was it had incredible recharge speed with the battery. Didn't take long to charge it.

Camera 1/10 went randomly blurry after 1st month of having the device

Pros

• fast recharge with battery

Cons

• hyper sensitive at times
  • slow internet connection unless you use wi fi

adia11w
posted on 26 May 2011, 18:22 (Posts: 0; Member since: 10 May 2011)

My first smart phone

adia11w has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is the first smart phone that I have had and I like it. Everything works properly, haven't had any major issues with it. I did download an app that caused it to freeze, but once it was uninstalled the phone has been great every since. One thing I really like it that it has a physical keyboard. I am glad I decided on this one! The only complaint that I have is the battery is not that great :/

Pros

• Physical Keyboard

Cons

• Battery life is not the greatest

taylor91593
posted on 01 May 2011, 10:23 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)

best phone i've had

taylor91593 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I love this phone, best $200 i ever spent, and it goes everywhere will me, and you can tell, as i noticed it has started to wear a hole in my pocket of my jeans haha. but the camera could be a little better. my samsung rogue took better pics and it was only 3 mp.

Pros

• screen

HIIII!
posted on 08 Mar 2011, 20:12

Overall--Great

HIIII! has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

So I got this phone in the beginning of January and I loved it. Until problems such as resending texts, and then I updated it, and the person being called couldn't hear my voice. I sent it back and got new ones, and they said it was just the phone, and not the brand itself. I just want to know if that has happened to anyone too?

Now that I have had the new one for a while, it works fine. Everything is great, except sometimes, it does lag. Overall pretty good, and it's a good, solid phone. I would recommend it to you.

Pros

• Build quality
  • Messaging
  • Everything except con

Cons

• lagging UI

JJL1973
posted on 29 Jan 2011, 09:06

MULTI-TASKING MONSTER

JJL1973 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I have had the HTC Droid Eris and the Motorola Devour. My wife has the LG Ally and the Droid 2 WHIPS ALL THERE A$$'$. No lag, no freezing. Dont need any sort of task killer...Its just a powerhouse. The only thing that is sub-par is the camera, not very good for a 5mp. I highly recommend.

Pros

• Almost everything

Austinon24s
posted on 06 Jan 2011, 06:37

Austinon24s has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Its a good phone but could be better. It's a good phone but can get boring. And I also dont like how the screen isnt wide enough. Slow at times and im in love with it but id rather have one of the 4.3 in screen or something like that. BTW verizon pisses me off seriously the put to many phones out! Hey you can buy this brand new droid 2... 2 months later..... Get the droid 2 GLOBAL.. But if you are like me and like the iphone better or had an ipod touch and want something like it get the Samsang Fascinate.. That has a bigger screen but not to big and kinda of looks like the iphone but you can change that

Pros

• Android
  • Flash on internet
  • Dual Flash with a 5mp camera

Cons

• Screen isnt wide enough
  • Slow at time
  • UI is ugly to me rather have regular motoblur
  • Video camera isnt HD

Wolfe69
posted on 13 Nov 2010, 22:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Nov 2010)

Droid 2

Wolfe69 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have been using the Droid 2 for about 2 months now and LOVE it. I have had no signal issues to speak of. My only real complaints are that the battery doesn't last long enough, then my phone gets some pretty heavy usage, and the UI seems to lag at times. Thinking of trying out the Droid X when the upgrade comes up.

UI speed 9/10 For the large part it's pretty good

Pros

• Good prossessing speed, intuitive interface

Cons

• Battery life could be a little better, UI could be a little faster at times

Dwayne
posted on 12 Nov 2010, 09:47

Good so far

Dwayne has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Just picked up the Droid 2. I have had some bad luck with smartphones lately. Had a few BlackBerry phones, iPhone 3GS, Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G, and others, but I haven't been able to get a device that I can depend on and have fun with. So far, my experience with the Droid 2 has been great. I don't have any complaints yet. The battery life and build quality is better than my EVO and the screen is gorgeous. Motoblur isn't bad. In short, I like it.

Pros

• screen

G.I.Joe
posted on 10 Nov 2010, 12:41

High hopes, low quality

G.I.Joe has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

When i saw the phone i thought to myself. Vzw actually got a desent phone. but like every phone they put out the data speed are pathetic, they cripple the software, and cap off the uploads. ive had a problem with the data connection and it randomly freezes. guess i have to deal with it or pay a 375 dollar etf fee.

Pros

• camera is nice
  • android OS

Cons

• random freezes
  • limited connectivity
  • poor call quality
  • static
  • hard to text
  • slow data speeds

john doe
posted on 08 Nov 2010, 13:21

disappointed

john doe has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

i got the phone and all it does is lagg, the battery life is horrible, yet another fail for vzw... lame thats the final straw, im leaving verizon

Pros

• android makes great operating systems

Cons

• verizon
  • lag
  • freezing

Kyle
posted on 07 Sep 2010, 19:24

Powerful phone with tons of features.

I came from a WinMo phone Ive been using for about 2 years now, heard great things about the Incredible and the Droid X but decided to stick with the Droid 2 for the full QWERTY, and the 2.2 OS. Talking to the rep at Big Red, I was set on the Incredible until he suggested the Droid 2 . Being an HTC fan, I was hesitant at first, but this phone blew me away. Amazing speed, the 1Ghz CPU is powerful enough to run anything at any time. The 5MP camera is awesome, the detail is great and the focus works well. I took a trip to DC and used the phone camera after my Sony camera died. Minimal difference in quality between the pictures. The full QWERTY is easy to use, though I find myself using the on screen keyboard a lot. Its faster to use the on screen, but my place of work makes it much more convenient to use the QWERTY and not get the screen terribly smudgy. The apps and widgets are plentiful, I have only found one app I have yet to find (see below). The download and install speed, as well as the startup and loading speeds for all apps I have used so far is bar none. Great feel to the touch screen, zoom features and scrolling features. Call quality is great, on both ends, the speakerphone is loud and clear, Music through the external speaker is good, the audio jack performs just as well as my Sansa player.

A few things I liked a lot: Hold the home button for 2 seconds and the recent 8 programs pop up. Its like Alt + Tab for Android. If you hold the menu key for 2 seconds, the keyboard...

Pros

• Full, Easy QWERTY
  • Great battery
  • Tons of apps, features and widgets
  • Android 2.2 Froyo
  • 3.5mm Stereo Jack

Cons

• Still have the funky lip on the bottom, though much better than the Droid 1
  • Occasional bits of lag or unresponsiveness
  • Audio jack a bit close to the power button

DroidudeAZ
posted on 06 Sep 2010, 22:00

Update of 'Nice Improvement' review.

I got my Droid 2 phone a few weeks ago & was having some screen scrolling issues as well as some of the homescreen widgets that didn't always work. I was getting ready to take the phone back to Verizon to exchange it for a new one when when I read a few articles on app management with 2.2. Froyo2.2 has an internal app management system which makes a app killer unnecessary. I uninstalled the app killer and the scrolling issues went away as well as the widget issues. My battery is lasting even longer than before. Today, I unplugged the phone at 9:30 AM and 11 hours later its still at 70% with a bunch of texting and about an hour of browsing of RSS sites & facebook etc and a few calls.  App managemt is working fine on its own. Just thought anyone with 2.2 Froyo should know this.

Pros

• Battery life, keyboard is sick, screen, speed of OS, Flash makes the browser workjust like your desktop. Camera improved especially on macro shots. Strong consistant signal.

Cons

• Text layout, no option to use regular threaded layout, just iphone style layout.

hellb
posted on 03 Sep 2010, 09:59

I'm in LOVE

Okay, I went from a nothing phone on a service that reflects my politics but finally decided I wanted all the goodies.  Even a technophobe like me can use this baby without a big textbook waking me through it. Needed the pull out QWERTY since I am a clumsy typist at best. I am a games and book fanatic and love an MP3. Since I found the Kindle app and all the free games, my purse is about 9 pounds lighter.  No problem with battery since the lovely woman at the Verizon store explained about ATK but thank you for the tip about changing the settings!Worth every penny!

Pros

• Clear sound, great apps, Kindle!, camcorder, easy to use, lightweight, nice size.

Cons

• The multimedia station doesn't seem to charge. What's up with that? My big old thumbs are constantly activating the voice commands which i don't use.

ProTekkie
posted on 27 Aug 2010, 04:01

Excellent Device

I'm an ex-iPhone user, that was looking for the excitement of a great android phone to pair with a network that wasn't complete crap. I walked into Verizon thinking the Droid X was my #1 choice, until I actually held the beast and realized that it couldn't fit in my pocket! I opted for the smaller HTC Droid Incredible. Got my Incredible in the mail, only to be greeted with a very defective camera =/. The day I exchanged my Incredible, is the day the Droid 2 launched, and it was love at first sight! It had the specs that I loved from the Droid X, paired with the flawless design of the original Droid. I really couldn't ask for more. Don't let any reviews telling you that this phone is flawed because it lacks drastic change from it's predecessor - this should be taken as a compliment really when you consider the fact that Motorola took an awesome design and found a way to make it even better! I'm a man that changes his mind every other week. One week I'll prefer typing on a keyboard, and the next I'll want an onscreen keyboard. I've spent hundreds of dollars buying phones for out-right prices just to meet my unreasonable standards. The thing I love about the Droid 2 is no matter what form of typing I want... I got it... all from one device! If you're going to invest in a phone that has to last the length of your contract, you're going to want versatility, and this phone has it.Bottom line... awesome device... go into Verizon, take a feel for...

Pros

• -Best build quality every felt on a slider.
  • -Out the door w/Froyo
  • -Text entering versatility (Keyboard/Swype/Onscreen touch entering)
  • -Keyboard design is top-notch
  • -Balanced overall device size

Cons

• -Bad Reputation - plagued by poor reviews - misunderstood by people expecting a completely revamped device. The Motorola Droid opened doors for Android. I don't see how a device built on that same successful platform can be docked points for its similarities.

DroidudeAZ
posted on 26 Aug 2010, 16:27

Nice Improvement

I bought this phone about a week and a half ago. After a couple of days of wicked battery consumption, it got a lot better. The keyboard is leaps and bounds ahead of the original Droid and the 2.2 Android is nice. I get a feeling it isn't quite as sorted out as 2.1 but it works well. Everytime I hit the '&' symbol in a text mesage or replying to an email, it automatically backspaces it so theres no space between the previous word and the '&' symbol. The phone has more soft touch material on the back and sides now and the metal band that separated the top from the bottom of the phone is now plastic. I kind of liked the metal band better. The semi Motoblur 7 screen home pages is kind of nice but at the same time, it's so spread out that it can be monotonous to navigate. I wish some one would create a homepage that combined the usefulness of HTC Sense with the information layout of the old Windows 6.0 layout......that homepage told you how many messages you had in each email/text acct, your calendar apps, everything. I miss that part of WInMo 6.0 (thats the only part I miss, LOL).
The apps that run in the background are much greater in number with the various Motoblur items running on the screen than on the D1. An Advanced Taskiller is necessary or you'll go through 70% of your battery in 8 hours. I changed the settings on the ATK to medium security and changed the kill frequency to 'crazy', that seemed to help the battery a LOT.
Overall, I like...

Pros

• Screen, KEYBOARD, camera, apps, speed, internet is super fast. Social functionality.

Cons

• Too many homescreens, Motoblur is kinda basic and dull, but at the same time, easy to see whats going on. Apps running in the background can kill the battery.

vzwrepmyneez
posted on 23 Aug 2010, 21:56

excellent phone, had no problems, no lag, keyboards awesome, in my opinion better than X cause the X battery cant handle how much I use the phone, 2 can. my pattern lock works fine, your just being a highass. switched from bb bold 9700, previous phones (iphone 2g, iphone 3g, bold 9600) by far the best phone.

Pros

• Good battery, fast, reliable, no complaints all round, just get one

Cons

• wouldnt mind a key board that slid vertically with a qwerty so i can use keyboard with one hand

Nettie
posted on 17 Aug 2010, 11:45

I got the phone on Saturday and havent had any problems with it. I used to have a BB storm and needed to upgrade asap. I wanted the X but didnt want to wait for it to ship. I have long nails to the keyboard is fine for me. It has alot of great apps and is easy to use since i never read the book that comes with it.

Pros

• Keyboard is great
  • apps are great
  • screen size is decent

Cons

• The pattern screen lock is faulty, but u can get back in by accessing ur gmail account.

Buy This Phone